Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Chernobyl (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$40.00
16 hrs ago
Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

Rocky Mountain Express 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.50
4 hrs ago
Terminator: Dark Fate (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Rambo: Last Blood (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 02-15-2016, 07:34 PM   #21
Power Member

Nov 2014
Minnesota

I collect because I like to have a decent size catalog on hand. This has been great over the years but more specifically my 19 year old son is going back and watching films he was too young to watch when they were released. I have paired down my collection of 2000 DVD/Blu-Ray's over the years to probably under 500 and still have more pairing down to do. I started to do this as I realized that I had so many titles that I purchased 10-20 years ago and were still sealed. I'm much more careful to only purchase essential titles and have been picking up iTunes copies for under $5 on the trading forum as well to keep my expenses down.

I know that many in the forums and in this thread hate streaming and/or digital copies but I for one like having it as an option. When I travel I can download titles to my ipad or mac for viewing on the plane or hotel room. In addition, quite often I'll stream movies from Netflix, Hulu or other sources while in bed so that I don't wake the wife/kids. I was a big proponent of picture and sound quality back in the early days of DVD and Blu-Ray but I'm at the point that convenience is the main determining factor. As long as the title is in the correct aspect ratio, digital is enough for me.

With all of that said, Blu-Ray is my format of choice but I have dramatically reduced the amount of physical titles purchased each year from 60-100 annually down to maybe 12-20 annually now.

So yes, I still love collecting, but I'm more open to collecting a mix of media formats now.

Last edited by zorbonaut; 02-15-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Thanks given by:
Pequod (09-18-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #22
Banned

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Truthfully I don't collect much of anything anymore. Mostly because now that I'm married, have 2 kids, a dog, a mortgage, bills, etc I just don't have much disposable income TO collect like I used to.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:10 AM   #23

Dec 2009
With the Ale and Quail Club on a train to Palm Beach

Hobbies should be fun or they aren't worth doing. I collect more than just blu-rays:

[Show spoiler]
Old 02-27-2016, 12:20 PM   #24
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildude View Post
Hobbies should be fun or they aren't worth doing. I collect more than just blu-rays:

[Show spoiler]
Your hand doesn't count.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:51 PM   #25
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildude View Post

[Show spoiler]
If your nails are long enough to do that, I don't think many women would want you anywhere near their lady parts
Old 03-08-2016, 09:41 PM   #26

Oct 2015

We all need something to keep us sane, so collecting does it for me, I collect movies and music and so far I'm still having fun.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:29 AM   #27
Banned

Jun 2015
CA, America

I only collect my most favorite movies. They have to be exceptional in some way. Because of that my collection of movies is rather small at around 100 and around ten classic TV series.

Why do I collect my most favorite videos? Simple, so I can watch them whenever I want and in the best quality available.

That said, I will likely never upgrade to 4K because if the studios handle 4K in the same horrible way that they have handled Blu-Ray, and HD in general, I'll be dead before a reasonable amount of desirable content is available. Besides, I'm happy with Blu-Ray quality. In fact, I will likely buy a spare 1080P TV once they start disappearing from the market. As it is I already keep spare parts on hand for my plasma TV.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:24 AM   #28
Special Member

Mar 2016

I've always loved movies since I was a little boy. I've collected thousands of vhs, DVDs and blu rays. With how fast things are changing these days, I don't think I'll ever collect these 4k blu rays. It's hard to collect anything these days knowing how fast things become obsolete. It's like you're being forced to give up on the things you're already satisfied with just because you have to adapt to what's new and cool. I have more than 2k blu rays and I'm trying my best not to buy unless I truly love the movie, but it's very difficult to do.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:58 PM   #29
Banned

Jun 2015
CA, America

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemacrash View Post
I've always loved movies since I was a little boy. I've collected thousands of vhs, DVDs and blu rays. With how fast things are changing these days, I don't think I'll ever collect these 4k blu rays. It's hard to collect anything these days knowing how fast things become obsolete. It's like you're being forced to give up on the things you're already satisfied with just because you have to adapt to what's new and cool. I have more than 2k blu rays and I'm trying my best not to buy unless I truly love the movie, but it's very difficult to do.
Careful, it sounds like you're hoarding. Not healthy.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:15 PM   #30
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2010
Montgomery, TX

I don't really consider myself a rabid "collector" of anything, in the strictest sense. I have quite a few movies, but I rarely buy one just for the sake of having it. Usually, its because I enjoyed the film in theaters, and wanted my own copy for home use; nothing more complicated than that.

As another example, I have lots of books...but again, I usually stick with buying those about subjects which interest me personally. I enjoy books about the making of films or TV shows, along with some political speakers and my favorite musicians.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #31

Mar 2016

I collect simply because I want to have a big collection
With books I have another purpose - I want to have good books to have a possibility to read them again in the future.

Last edited by johhnny; 04-26-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:25 PM   #32
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2012
Georgia

I made my first home purchase back in July. I now live in a decent neighborhood with cool neighbors who are all "normal" people, so to speak.

When I'm driving through my neighborhood or running on the sidewalks through the neighborhood, though, I always notice that most of my neighbors are unable to park their vehicles in their garages, because they keep so much random stuff stored away in their garages.

Whenever these neighbors have their garage doors open, I notice boxes stacked to the ceiling, old construction materials, parts of bicycles or broken treadmills, shelves full of random things that nobody uses anymore, old Christmas decorations, and so on.

With my Blu-rays and DVDs together, I own roughly 1,700 movies. They all fit easily into a big closet in one of my bedrooms.

My garage, however, is empty, save for a few tools and a shelf for my running shoes. I can easily park my vehicle in the garage.

So, I guess that collecting Blu-rays makes more sense than collecting hoarded stuff in a garage. At least to me...

It's weird to own roughly 1,700 movies, but, then again, everybody is weird in different ways. I like my own brand of weird.

I like having instant access to any random favorite movie. If I'm driving around at work this afternoon, and decide out of the clear blue that I want to watch Superman II when I get home this evening, then that Blu-ray is waiting for me at home. If I decide tomorrow that I want to watch Buster Keaton's The General after work, then that Blu-ray is waiting for me when I get home. That accessibility is pretty great.

I never really thought of my movie collection as a "collection" until recently. I just started buying movies that I loved or movies that I wanted to see. Before I knew it, though, I had hundreds and hundreds of them.
Thanks given by:
Al_The_Strange (09-18-2016), Pequod (09-18-2016)
Old 09-18-2016, 07:12 AM   #33

Oct 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post
I collect items from the old LOST IN SPACE TV show.
I know this is a major necro-bump but man I just wanted to say my dad was a big fan of that show and loves your collection. Great stuff.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #34
Expert Member

Jan 2016

With reference to the first post, Blu ray is HD and 4K UHD is 4 times HD, so unlike with DVD, VHS and so on, this is more of an improvement but not staggering by any sense. There is a big difference with DVD and Blu ray and as expected there should be with 4K and normal blu ray, but the issue is most of the 4K releases are upscaled from 2k masters.

Furthermore, getting a 4k TV would also mean that even your normal blu rays will look far better than they do on a current full HD tv.

Getting to the point, I would say any collection is unhealthy if it has a negative impact on others or one self. I don't see that issue with movies.

I remember my very first movie (went as part of a school trip back then), Jurassic Park at the age of 6. I was awestruck by the T-Rex and it probably triggered a love for movies that has grown by leaps and bounds since then.

Like one of the other poster mentioned, I am also happy to have a wide choice of movies to choose from on the go. There might be days when I can't be bothered to think too much and would just love some raw entertainment - in which case I would go for action oriented movies. Other days I would love a good whodunit or so and check out my collection of thrillers.

The fact that I have an eclectic taste also greatly helps.

Nevertheless, I collect for my personal satisfaction and it's not easy to tell a non-collector as to why you do so.

It's also something that I could leave behind for future generations. I do hope my children (when I eventually get married of course ) , grandchildren and so on will also get part of that "love for movies and collecting them" gene from me.

If you have to ask, then perhaps collecting is just not for you and I am referring to collection of physical media.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat