Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Dredd 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
Assault on Precinct 13 (Blu-ray)
$11.99
1 hr ago
Now You See Me 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Chernobyl (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

3:10 to Yuma 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #1
Expert Member

Nov 2011
cyberspace
Default Somewhat disallusioned

I was having a "discussion" with my sister over the weekend about the "younger" generation. Now anytime my sister starts talking about kids these days I roll my eyes, hell I am only 33 she is only 32 it's not like either of us are that old. Well she started ragging on the stupid millennials, ranting about how narcissistic they are, self absorbed, full of themselves, entitled, etc. Then I got to thinking, wait a second according Wikipedia, um we're Millennials. So we had a further discussion on that. Well it was an eye opener to realize when the "media" talk about Millennials they are talking about "OUR" generation.

Then I realized it couldn't be the kids born at the millennium, it's 2016 those kids aren't even old enough to vote yet. Then I realized shit they mean us, the kids who grew up on video games, MTV, the internet, and I started looking at articles describing Millennials and thought shit that describes us perfectly. I said if we're Millennials what does that make the dumb asses coming up after us, that turned into a discussion in itself with her declairng "whatever they are their ruining our country."

Putting that aside, I never considered myself a millennial until looking up the generally accepted definition. My sister described the narcissistic Facebook obsessed "millennials" who share everything they do on social media, via their cell phones as she was posting pictures of her doing yard work on Facebook via her cell phone. God damnit eyes opened now can't go back to being in the dark.

But, but the 80's were so awesome! Crap, we are the 18-35 year old demographic I keep forgetting, we're not 35 yet. Thanks a lot wikipedia you shattered my delusion, now how do I live with myself?

Old 07-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

Old 07-11-2016, 10:39 PM   #3
Expert Member

Nov 2011
cyberspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWFORD View Post
Slow day at work, pretty bored I guess.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #4

Oct 2008

Yeah you are both Millennials, so quit ****ing up the country.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:40 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by segagamer12 View Post
Slow day at work, pretty bored I guess.
The fact that you are at work and posting on a Discussion forum would be something the Boomers would just bang their heads over and that after years of watching all the GenX andGen Y it playing Tetris or computer solitaire instead of -- well, working.

The Greatest Generation would pull their thin strands of hair out over Boomers watching Television all the time. What kind of work is pushing paper from one place to another. Get a Hammer and shovel and go do some real work instead of being a glorified Secretary.

" he's teasing you. Nobody has two television sets."

Old 07-13-2016, 12:51 AM   #6
Banned

Sep 2014
Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
The fact that you are at work and posting on a Discussion forum would be something the Boomers would just bang their heads over and that after years of watching all the GenX andGen Y it playing Tetris or computer solitaire instead of -- well, working.

The Greatest Generation would pull their thin strands of hair out over Boomers watching Television all the time. What kind of work is pushing paper from one place to another. Get a Hammer and shovel and go do some real work instead of being a glorified Secretary.

" he's teasing you. Nobody has two television sets."
"Lorraine, you ever have a kid who acts that way, I'll disown you."

Thanks given by:
dallywhitty (07-13-2016), mertz523 (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 01:50 AM   #7
Banned

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by philzilla View Post
Yeah you are both Millennials, so quit ****ing up the country.
It's my country and I'll eff it up if I want to. SO THERE!

Thanks given by:
karlpilkington4PM (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 01:52 AM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

Oh no, we 30-somethings are Gen-X, dammit. I won't have anything to do with those crazy Millennials. We're the cool kids, we had all the greatest things of the 80s and 90s back-to-back, we don't need no Internets or social media or constant attention to have fun.

Thanks given by:
Scarriere (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011

I guess if you're 33 or so today you sit on the border but you probably have a lot more in common with a 40 year old than you do a 24 year old. Just because your childhood and highschool experiences happened without the internet, and cellphones, and social media. I wouldn't worry about a label. I have interns working for me and their work ethic clearly doesn't match the millennial tag of "i deserve this" so it comes down to how you carry yourself.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:16 PM   #10
Power Member

May 2015
-
-

Every generation complains about the next because growing old gives people a false sense of entitlement. Let's look over the fact that (despite what the news would lead you to believe) the world as a whole is at one of the more peaceful times it's ever been. Let's also overlook all the technological advancements we've made just within the last twenty to thirty years. Oh, and civil rights? This country has never been better.

And then while so much gets accomplished each generation, everyone seems to believe that the next generation will screw up everything we've worked so hard for. Our parents think it about us. Their parents thought it about them, and so on and so forth.

In another twenty years we'll spitefully disregard the younger generations because they created the world into something that doesn't look like what we grew up with, even if that world is safer, cleaner, and more peaceful and technologically advanced.

Thanks given by:
dancerslegs (07-17-2016), karlpilkington4PM (07-13-2016), MattPerdue (07-13-2016), spectre08 (07-13-2016), UFAlien (07-14-2016), Will. (07-15-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #11
Expert Member

Nov 2011
cyberspace

Well yeah I always thought we were Gen X but then my mom was taking a sociology class and said no that was her generation and that got me thinking wait a minute.

I always identified with technology, we grew up with it for sure. We didn't have social media but damn it we had the internet all my life, we had video games all my life, we have had cable and satellite TV and Pay per view all my life, those just evolved into better versions today with Netflix and DVR's replacing pay per view and VCR's and social media replacing Yahoo Profiles, which I had up until they deleted it.

But yeah since turning 30 I have felt like I was getting more mature for the first time, not old just felt mature. I started hanging out with my 18-year-old nephew and his friends for a while last year, and man that was the most miserable experience I have ever had. Not just the foreign language they in their minds they thought was some mutated form of English, but also their customs and beliefs, even the "conservative" ones had different views as "conservatives" did when I was that age, which wasn't that long ago I thought. *I don't mean politically conservative here FYI*

I just read wikipedia defined millenial as someone who was a teenager or young adult at the turn of the millennium, I turned 18 in 2000 it was the first year I was elligible to vote and yes I exercised that right barely 2 months after my 18th birthday. 9/11 happened shortly after and it changed my whole world view for a very long time.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2013

My sister and I had a similar discussion recently, and I wasn't aware that I fell under the "millenial" group either. I'm 31. I thought I was a GenX, too. I'll never forget the look on her face before she told me she, our older brother, and I were millenials. It was comical.

I'm at my desk at work as I type this. I really wish I could throw my smartphone out the window some days or delete Facebook altogether. There are times I can put my phone down and hang with friends as everyone else around me has their eyes glued to their screens. It's a bit unnerving. And now with this stupid Pokemon Go, I can't even get a text back from some of my friends who are 28 to 35 because they're too busy hunting. 90% of my Facebook consists of my diary of films I see and with who. I don't require constant attention, and never have. So it was a shock to me when my sister revealed that all three of us are millenials.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2012
Georgia

Whenever I look at the stagnated entry-level salaries and zero-pension professional jobs these days, I'm increasingly convinced that the whole "Millennials are spoiled." notion is just a way of gaslighting younger people into thinking that they're not worthy of being treated with any semblance of dignity or fairness.

Incidentally, I'm 44 years old, and, therefore, not a "millennial." I'm squarely in Generation X.

Thanks given by:
dancerslegs (07-17-2016), Nielsb90 (07-14-2016), UFAlien (07-14-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby is Q View Post
Every generation complains about the next because growing old gives people a false sense of entitlement. Let's look over the fact that (despite what the news would lead you to believe) the world as a whole is at one of the more peaceful times it's ever been. Let's also overlook all the technological advancements we've made just within the last twenty to thirty years. Oh, and civil rights? This country has never been better.

And then while so much gets accomplished each generation, everyone seems to believe that the next generation will screw up everything we've worked so hard for. Our parents think it about us. Their parents thought it about them, and so on and so forth.

In another twenty years we'll spitefully disregard the younger generations because they created the world into something that doesn't look like what we grew up with, even if that world is safer, cleaner, and more peaceful and technologically advanced.
The World? Eh...maybe. The U.S.? Not so much.

FBI: Murders and other violent crimes increased last year

And, I'm sure the number of violent crimes will increase again this year.

Of course, none of this is the fault of 'millennials.'

Old 07-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #15
Banned

Sep 2014
Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWFORD View Post
The World? Eh...maybe. The U.S.? Not so much.

FBI: Murders and other violent crimes increased last year

And, I'm sure the number of violent crimes will increase again this year.

Of course, none of this is the fault of 'millennials.'
From the article you linked to:
Quote:
The overall violent crime rate has fallen significantly over the last two decades, falling from 79.8 victimizations per 1,000 people in 1993 to 20.1 per 1,000 in 2014, according to Justice Department figures. Last October, the Pew Research Center released an analysis of death certificate data and said that gun homicide rates had dropped significantly since the early 1990s.
Quote:
In the country’s biggest cities, the murder rate is expected to be higher in 2015 than 2014, even though the overall rate of murders remains relatively low, the Brennan Center for Justice, a law and policy institute in New York, concluded in a recent analysis.

“Because the underlying rate of murders is already so low, a relatively small increase in the numbers can result in a large percentage increase,” the report noted. Its authors added: “One year’s increase does not necessarily portend a coming wave of violent crime.”

Thanks given by:
Abby is Q (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #16
Power Member

May 2015
-
-

To piggyback off of Whysoblu?'s post, here is the first paragraph to another aritcle that they link to:

Quote:
In 1990, at the height of a decade-long crime wave that swept the nation, 2,245 people were murdered in New York City. In 2014, police investigated just 328 homicides in the five boroughs ó a precipitous drop of 85 percent thatís being duplicated in major cities across the country.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...sly/?tid=a_inl

Old 07-13-2016, 09:22 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2013

Probably not the best article to link to.

But, there was this:

Quote:
Not every major city is basking in the glow of lower crime rates. A rash of shootings between Dec. 23 and the end of the year brought the number of murders in Washington, D.C., to 105 in 2014, the second consecutive year of triple-digit murders, after the nation’s capital hit a half-century low in 2012.

The number of homicides in Los Angeles reached 254 last year, up four from 2013 and the first increase in 12 years. Those statistics may actually understate the real number: A Los Angeles Times investigation earlier this year found the Los Angeles Police Department misclassified about 1,200 violent crimes as more minor offenses in a recent one-year period.

Indianapolis, Austin, Pittsburgh, El Paso and Memphis all saw rates rise.
Also, we all must keep in mind this article was written in Jan 2015, based on a study conducted in 2014, we are now half way through 2016. We all know that several mass shootings and other violent crimes have occured since. Of course violent crimes have decreased overall over the centuries, but to say the country (or the world) is more peaceful given light of recent events (i.e. Brexit, Orlando night club shooting, Baghdad car bombing that killed 200, etc.) seems rather ignorant.

But, I still agree with your overarching point of view, it's not my fault (millenial).

Old 07-13-2016, 09:50 PM   #18
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

I'm an only child, so I just talk to myself. I decided that I will refer to myself as an echo boomer. It's a one-time media catch-phrase that never caught on, so you'll probably never see the news blaming things on those rascally echo boomers

Old 07-13-2016, 09:56 PM   #19
Power Member

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
I'm an only child, so I just talk to myself. I decided that I will refer to myself as an echo boomer. It's a one-time media catch-phrase that never caught on, so you'll probably never see the news blaming things on those rascally echo boomers
oh, what, we're not good enough for ya?

Old 07-13-2016, 09:59 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlpilkington4PM View Post
oh, what, we're not good enough for ya?
Clearly...

Thanks given by:
karlpilkington4PM (07-13-2016)
Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat