Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
8 hrs ago
Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99

Beverly Hills Cop Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

Teen Titans: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$37.59

Terminator: Dark Fate (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$40.00

The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 08-15-2016, 11:48 AM   #1

Aug 2013
Default Essay writing

What are your thoughts on this kind of thing.... https://writemyessayonline.com/? It's come up in conversation a lot recently because someone told me that a friend of mine uses something similar and apparently it's really common, and I'm curious about the circumstances that would lead to someone using it.

have you ever used this type of thing? Would you?
Old 08-15-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
Banned

Aug 2014

I haven't used it, although I'm pretty sure it would be frowned upon if it were for academic writing (university is the only reason I have to write essays).
Old 08-16-2016, 11:13 AM   #3

Aug 2013

But that's assuming they'd know, I don't know how they do it but if it's an original essay it wouldn't show up in any plagiarism software? It's the same as getting your room mate/partner to do it, which I'm sure happens a lot. Not that that's right either, just saying that they wouldn't automatically find out?
Old 08-16-2016, 12:13 PM   #4
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

Never used and would never really want to, but at the end of the day, if you're going to spend so much on a degree, why not spend a little bit more to ensure you'll get the grade you want.
Thanks given by:
IronWaffle (08-18-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 09:01 PM   #5

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Never used and would never really want to, but at the end of the day, if you're going to spend so much on a degree, why not spend a little bit more to ensure you'll get the grade you want.
If you can't get the grade you want, maybe you're to stupid or lazy for college. Despite what they say, it's may not be for everyone. World needs fry cooks.
Thanks given by:
Billy13 (08-21-2016), segagamer12 (08-21-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 09:21 PM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

As an amateur writer, I see this as a possible business opportunity. Makes me wonder how one becomes a writer on that site.

As a former college student, I find it unethical and lazy. But hey, if I was at the other end ghostwriting for somebody, who am I to judge?
Old 08-18-2016, 03:05 AM   #7
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

It's lazy as hell. The whole point of college is proving that you can do the work to get your degree, not paying other people to do it for you.
Thanks given by:
Billy13 (08-21-2016), IronWaffle (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 03:51 AM   #8
Special Member

Oct 2010
Columbia, MD
Default Essay writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallMark View Post
What are your thoughts on this kind of thing.... https://writemyessayonline.com/? It's come up in conversation a lot recently because someone told me that a friend of mine uses something similar and apparently it's really common, and I'm curious about the circumstances that would lead to someone using it.

have you ever used this type of thing? Would you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalekbuster523Bluray View Post
I haven't used it, although I'm pretty sure it would be frowned upon if it were for academic writing (university is the only reason I have to write essays).

We've used services where we enter the essays into a secure site that compares the essay to others in the database. It looks as closely as phrases and color codes recognized passages. It also searches the Internet. I won't divulge details, but the odds are strong that service's essays would be discovered.

I'll also tell you that even when software doesn't catch it, I've rarely had a problem spotting cheating. There are dead giveaways in style, diction, syntax, personal quirks, etc. that would take more work for a student to fix than to just write it. It's a shame students force professors to waste so much energy on this nonsense, but that's life.

Sometimes I can't prove it on a particular essay but in those cases it's easier to sleuth it out on the next one without much effort. Once caught, a student fails the class and it goes on the record and, depending on the school, it can lead to expulsion. As such it saves me time to catch it early, but by the end of the semester the result is the same. It never feels good but I don't lose sleep over it. People make choices; they can learn a valuable skill or they can learn a hard lesson.
Thanks given by:
segagamer12 (08-21-2016), slm (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 07:47 PM   #9
Expert Member

Dec 2010
California

Using a service like this for school writing would be dishonest, unethical, and cheating. I'm not sure how anyone could argue it's not. no gray area.
Thanks given by:
Billy13 (08-21-2016), IronWaffle (08-21-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 07:51 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
Using a service like this for school writing would be dishonest, unethical, and cheating. I'm not sure how anyone could argue it's not. no gray area.
i gotta agree with this.

anything that's given by you as your own work, but is done by someone else whether online or an actual person, is really NOT your work.
Thanks given by:
Billy13 (08-21-2016), IronWaffle (08-21-2016), slm (12-03-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 10:52 PM   #11
Banned

Aug 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWaffle View Post
We've used services where we enter the essays into a secure site that compares the essay to others in the database. It looks as closely as phrases and color codes recognized passages. It also searches the Internet. I won't divulge details, but the odds are strong that service's essays would be discovered.

I'll also tell you that even when software doesn't catch it, I've rarely had a problem spotting cheating. There are dead giveaways in style, diction, syntax, personal quirks, etc. that would take more work for a student to fix than to just write it. It's a shame students force professors to waste so much energy on this nonsense, but that's life.

Sometimes I can't prove it on a particular essay but in those cases it's easier to sleuth it out on the next one without much effort. Once caught, a student fails the class and it goes on the record and, depending on the school, it can lead to expulsion. As such it saves me time to catch it early, but by the end of the semester the result is the same. It never feels good but I don't lose sleep over it. People make choices; they can learn a valuable skill or they can learn a hard lesson.
I think it's disgusting that people would try to pass off another's work as their own. If you put a name or exam number on an essay, it's because it's your essay. To betray that is to betray who you are.
Thanks given by:
Billy13 (08-21-2016), IronWaffle (08-21-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat