Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.00
15 hrs ago
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Long Day's Journey Into Night 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

3-D Rarities (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Universe in 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.86

How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.98

G-Force 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.44

Tomb Raider 3D (Blu-ray)
$21.00

Jivaro 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Kylie Minogue: Aphrodite Les Folies - Live in London (Blu-ray)
$23.24

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Sector 7 (Blu-ray)
$14.32

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 06-23-2018, 09:56 PM   #81
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom.

For contrast: 3D Preview:
Ant-Man and the Wasp 3D trailer has high medium to strong 3D, very striking, obvious 3D that looks awesome and is fun to watch.

Skyscraper 3D trailer: low medium to medium 3D. Unimpressed with the 3D.

Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom 3D Review:
Cinemark 3D theater, great projection/contrast, middle row, center seat.
3D Layering: 6/10. Mostly low medium 3D layers, at times, mild 3D and once in awhile, medium layered 3D, but hardly ever above that. No strong 3D in my view.
3D Pop Outs: 1/10. Hardly any pop outs in this film. One of a dino bite was about high medium 3D at best. Nothing special.
3D Framing: 6/10. So many character shots were cropped off, preventing a full 3D character to appear within frame from the top of their head.
3D Comparison: Jurassic Park 1 3D and Jurassic World 3D wipe the floor with this milder 3D conversion. Disappointing.
Favorite 3D Shot: Near the end of the film, the lead female is looking through the glass in the
[Show spoiler]control room at the dinos below
. That was a nice, high medium 3D shot, well framed and looked good. But so rare in this film.
3D Summary: 6/10. A mild to low medium conversion that pales in comparison to Jurassic World 1's 3D. Oh well... It's a better, more consistent conversion than Solo's mostly mild 3D, but not by very much. Compare this to the first one at home and you'll see the difference if you look carefully.

The movie was mildly interesting but so much of it focuses on the politics and
[Show spoiler]auctioning of what the criminals want to do with the dinosaurs, that it becomes slow and dull at times to the point I started to feel like dozing off but didn't. Then the latter half was more like a horror monster in the house movie, than anything epic like Jurassic Park movies should be.
Jurassic World I enjoyed, this film, it was okay; good action and effects, and the dinos look good as usual, but just didn't care about the character's situation too much. If you're a fan of the films, you might want to see it just for the heck of it, but go in with low expectations and you might like it.
Maybe your overall enjoyment of the movie brought the 3D score down. Enjoyed the movie and i think it was on par with the first part.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #82
Power Member

Nov 2012
Kentwood, LA.

I have really been bummed out by the horrific reviews. Very disappointing!
Old 06-23-2018, 11:28 PM   #83
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartfrog298 View Post
I have really been bummed out by the horrific reviews. Very disappointing!
There is no Disney in front of it. Critics are biased towards Disney its pretty much a fact now

They don't know what they are talking about. Its a fun ride. Very entertaining flick.
Thanks given by:
dartfrog298 (06-23-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 12:41 AM   #84
Power Member

Nov 2014

Critics may be biased in favour of Disney, but I don't see any evidence that they are biased against Universal. And prior to Fallen Kingdom, the director Bayona had been a critical darling.

When I saw this, it was rated fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, and scored higher than Jurassic World on Imdb. It was totally obvious to me that this wouldn't last. There are a few well conceived sequences, and there are various ingredients that make it a worthwhile watch, but on the whole it's just too uneven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaugone View Post
@Interdimentional
Good review, sounds like a helluva presentation. How much was admission?
not cheap. About the same as Imax. I would say I enjoyed it more, but that may have been partly just the novelty value.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:30 AM   #85
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
Maybe your overall enjoyment of the movie brought the 3D score down. Enjoyed the movie and i think it was on par with the first part.
I see your point mredman, but I promise that I always keep my 3D assessment separate from what I think of the movie, which explains why I can give some movies I don't enjoy high scores in the 3D department if the 3D delivered.
I absolutely wanted to give the 3D a higher rating, but it can't compare to Ant-Man and the Wasp's very impressive, strong 3D trailer just before Universal's Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 3D started.

Thinking back to the movie, there are some great dinosaur moments that happened, it's just a matter of the story needing a different direction to really give the characters more inspiration in the plot. I feel they should've went with the
[Show spoiler]volcano plot for the whole film through to the end of the film, rather than the monster in the house plot they went with instead.
But they wanted to change it up and they were successful in that regard anyway. I hope people enjoy it. Two of the people I saw it with gave it a 10/10 and an 8/10. They too, weren't impressed with the 3D however.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:42 AM   #86
Special Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

Both of the JW films are a far cry from the Jurassic Park conversion a few years back.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 02:18 AM   #87
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Usually the Uptown is a great place to see a movie notable a scope 2.40 framed '2D' movie - however 3D here is hit or miss and this didn't quite do it, light output is on the dim side, so for a movie like JW:FK the darkness did not help. There were a couple of moments where there is some layering, but all in all, it was all rather an average presentation.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 05:26 AM   #88
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

The movie, I thought, was a considerable step up from the first Jurassic World, which I thought was quite bad. I definitely enjoyed this one overall, but there were still elements that were pretty iffy. Still I thought it did a great job of restoring some of the sense of wonder and danger the last movie was sorely lacking. Bayona's ten times the director Trevorrow is, so that certainly helped. This felt more like its own movie than a hollow nostalgia ploy.

This is the rare case where I almost completely disagree with Zivouhr regarding the 3D. I thought there were several pretty strong shots here, as well as a reasonable number of minor pop-outs. I'd actually call it an above-average conversion in terms of 3D utilization. Granted, definitely not as deep as the 1993 film's conversion.

What I will say though is that I noticed more frequent conversion errors than usual for a modern conversion. Not as many or as bad as, say, Geostorm, but enough for it to be sometimes distracting. A couple issues with backgrounds warping slightly when characters move, a fair amount of sloppy work on jungle foliage, consistently unconvincing or outright missing separation of translucent materials like smoke or glass from what's behind them. The very first shot of the film contains a whopper when one of the specs of floating underwater whatever splits right in two across the middle in depth as it approaches the camera. A helicopter shot at the end features a prominent mountaintop rock that doesn't shift and track properly with the camera movement. It's nothing horrible but I was surprised at the frequency of the issues.
Thanks given by:
dartfrog298 (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 05:42 PM   #89
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
The movie, I thought, was a considerable step up from the first Jurassic World, which I thought was quite bad. I definitely enjoyed this one overall, but there were still elements that were pretty iffy. Still I thought it did a great job of restoring some of the sense of wonder and danger the last movie was sorely lacking. Bayona's ten times the director Trevorrow is, so that certainly helped. This felt more like its own movie than a hollow nostalgia ploy.

This is the rare case where I almost completely disagree with Zivouhr regarding the 3D. I thought there were several pretty strong shots here, as well as a reasonable number of minor pop-outs. I'd actually call it an above-average conversion in terms of 3D utilization. Granted, definitely not as deep as the 1993 film's conversion.

What I will say though is that I noticed more frequent conversion errors than usual for a modern conversion. Not as many or as bad as, say, Geostorm, but enough for it to be sometimes distracting. A couple issues with backgrounds warping slightly when characters move, a fair amount of sloppy work on jungle foliage, consistently unconvincing or outright missing separation of translucent materials like smoke or glass from what's behind them. The very first shot of the film contains a whopper when one of the specs of floating underwater whatever splits right in two across the middle in depth as it approaches the camera. A helicopter shot at the end features a prominent mountaintop rock that doesn't shift and track properly with the camera movement. It's nothing horrible but I was surprised at the frequency of the issues.
You have a great eye for finding conversion errors, UFAlien. Glad you enjoyed the 3D. If I compare this to Jurassic Park 1 or even Jurassic World 1's 3D, this, from my viewing at Cinemark, is not up to par.

My ranking of the 3D:
Jurassic Park 3D: Lots of strong 3D layers, some medium 3D near the end.
Jurassic World 3D: Plenty of High medium to medium 3D layers. Good pop outs. Some strong 3D.
Jurassic World 2 3D: Low medium to medium 3D, some mild 3D. Few high medium 3D shots. Rare pop outs.
Thanks given by:
dartfrog298 (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 06:14 PM   #90
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2017

I might've gotten a bogus presentation. The images was not sharp or very bright and was kinda blurry and it was on a larger screen.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:10 PM   #91
Power Member

Nov 2012
Kentwood, LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelluloidPal View Post
I might've gotten a bogus presentation. The images was not sharp or very bright and was kinda blurry and it was on a larger screen.
I'm gonna wait to see this movie when it comes out on bluray 3D. I am usually satisfied with the 3D on my TV even when everyone says it's mild 3D in the theater. I have no issue with waiting.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:14 PM   #92
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartfrog298 View Post
I'm gonna wait to see this movie when it comes out on bluray 3D. I am usually satisfied with the 3D on my TV even when everyone says it's mild 3D in the theater. I have no issue with waiting.
I agree but I've had better theatrical 3D experiences at other theaters.
I saw Rampage at a different theater and it was bright, clear and in focus.
Old 06-24-2018, 10:26 PM   #93
Power Member

Nov 2012
Kentwood, LA.

Weekend global total $711.5 million. $150 million US intake.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 11:12 PM   #94
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelluloidPal View Post
My Regal theaters are like that, plus they don't even have the 3D calibrated right most times, and it results in tons of ghosting where there should be any.

With Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom 3D, the Cinemark 3D Theater I saw it at Saturday had bright contrast and perfect 3D projection as usual. Unfortunately, the 3D conversion was nothing special compared to any high medium to strong 3D film. I also checked the onscreen double image separation and it was minimal in many shots/mild, low medium many times. For close up objects, it stood out better, with medium to sometimes high medium 3D.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:31 PM   #95
Expert Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interdimensional View Post
Critics may be biased in favour of Disney, but I don't see any evidence that they are biased against Universal. And prior to Fallen Kingdom, the director Bayona had been a critical darling.

When I saw this, it was rated fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, and scored higher than Jurassic World on Imdb. It was totally obvious to me that this wouldn't last. There are a few well conceived sequences, and there are various ingredients that make it a worthwhile watch, but on the whole it's just too uneven.

not cheap. About the same as Imax. I would say I enjoyed it more, but that may have been partly just the novelty value.
Ok then, how much is Imax? Nearest one around here is in Dallas, 200 miles away.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:57 PM   #96
Power Member

Nov 2014

I checked and they're both the same: adult ticket for evening show with no discount = €19.80. The difference being that there's no additional charge for Imax glasses, although you can bring your own Real D glasses to 4DX.
Thanks given by:
Smaugone (06-25-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 02:59 AM   #97
Expert Member

Sep 2012

€19.80=$23.09 for those of you keeping score at home.
I'd pay that, it's not just a movie but a viewing experience. Would love to take the grandkids to something like this.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:20 AM   #98
Power Member

Sep 2010
Los Angeles, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
There is no Disney in front of it. Critics are biased towards Disney its pretty much a fact now

They don't know what they are talking about. Its a fun ride. Very entertaining flick.
I think you might be mistaking a difference in taste with actual "bias". I'm not on anybody's payroll and I thought Jurassic World 2 was horribly disappointing. Drab and completely unscary.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:00 AM   #99
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2008
Albany NY

Of “Fallen Kingdom’s” $711 million haul, $380 million came from 3D ticket sales, along with $105 million from RealD 3D.
Thanks given by:
dartfrog298 (06-25-2018), keefelc (06-26-2018)
Old 06-25-2018, 06:31 PM   #100

Sep 2010

bestbuy has 3d preorder up
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (06-25-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies