Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.00
15 hrs ago
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Long Day's Journey Into Night 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

3-D Rarities (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Universe in 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.86

How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.98

G-Force 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.44

Tomb Raider 3D (Blu-ray)
$21.00

Jivaro 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Kylie Minogue: Aphrodite Les Folies - Live in London (Blu-ray)
$23.24

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Sector 7 (Blu-ray)
$14.32

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 02-22-2016, 05:15 AM   #1

Sep 2014
California
Disney Pete's Dragon (2016) No 3D Blu-ray [Digital only - SKY UK]

I'm still not 100% sure about the 3D , But Disneys official Facebook & Twitter posts for the movie trailer say it's in 3D..... also both Boxoffice.com & Box Office Mojo show it's in 3D.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/disneypetes
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DisneyPetesDragon
Boxoffice.com: http://pro.boxoffice.com/statistics/3d-release-calendar
Boxoffice mojo: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...dragon2016.htm

"Pete is a mysterious 10-year-old with no family and no home who claims to live in the woods with a giant, green dragon named Elliott"

http://movies.disney.com/petes-dragon-2016

Watch the brand new trailer for Disneys #PetesDragon! �� See the film on the big screen in 3D this August.

Last edited by EVERRET; 08-13-2016 at 01:58 AM.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (02-22-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2015
Christ Church, Barbados

I see, the trailer didn't say in 3D, although Disney said it in the description.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
Special Member

Oct 2013
Alabama

Trailer looks decently good except that it doesn't remind me of "Pete's Dragon" at all. So far Pete looks more like a Mowgli or Tarzan. I guess I'll have to watch the next trailer to see how things may look possibly closer to the original in the sense of plot.

All in all it does look like a good movie so far.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2011
Dryland

3D would be about the only reason for me to see this.
Thanks given by:
Taygan315 (06-14-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 01:30 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
The

Awesome.
I'm in!
Bryce Dallas Howard is
Good work there Ronnie!
Old 02-23-2016, 02:41 AM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

The Dragon looks more realistic and probably has a more serious tone compared to the comical cartoon of the original movie. If the 3D is worth it, I'd consider this.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:14 PM   #7
Power Member

Nov 2014

The original isn't considered much of a Disney 'Classic', so they have a reasonable chance of topping it, and seem to be allowed more scope than usual for changing things around.

I don't know why they've apparently discarded some of the more unique elements of the original and changed it into another wild boy in the wilderness story, same year as Tarzan and Jungle Book remakes. We've seen so many 'realistic' CG dragons over the years, that the prospect of seeing another isn't interesting on its own. They'll have to do something creative with it. It doesn't look like they've attempted to emulate the Don Bluth design in any way.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 02:24 AM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interdimensional View Post
The original isn't considered much of a Disney 'Classic', so they have a reasonable chance of topping it, and seem to be allowed more scope than usual for changing things around.

I don't know why they've apparently discarded some of the more unique elements of the original and changed it into another wild boy in the wilderness story, same year as Tarzan and Jungle Book remakes. We've seen so many 'realistic' CG dragons over the years, that the prospect of seeing another isn't interesting on its own. They'll have to do something creative with it. It doesn't look like they've attempted to emulate the Don Bluth design in any way.
Good point about the dragons in recent movies having a more realistic, similar look and how a unique looking dragon could make the film possibly more interesting to those who aren't big fans of dragons. I see this one has more vibrant green in it, but it was a very short shot that it's hard to tell more aside from its more realistic design compared to the original cartoon.

Speaking of Don Bluth, he's currently working on a preview of Dragon's Lair after getting funded to produce and create a 1 minute full color animated preview animation to present to distributors for a possible Dragon's Lair Feature film. With the title Dragon's Lair, I would hope Singe the Dragon would return in some form; a very unique looking dragon. What's most amazing is he's 78 years old and still has the ambition to create a feature film. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Bluth
Old 02-24-2016, 03:56 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

Legend 3D's website says they're converting the movie. So it's going to be in 3D SOMEWHERE, at least.
Thanks given by:
EVERRET (02-24-2016), Paul H (02-24-2016), Taygan315 (06-14-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 06:11 AM   #10

Sep 2014
California
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
Legend 3D's website says they're converting the movie. So it's going to be in 3D SOMEWHERE, at least.
Good catch ,

http://legend3d.com/3d.html

Old 02-24-2016, 06:13 AM   #11
Special Member

Jul 2009

Well, I can't wait for Disney to NOT release this on 3D Blu-Ray.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:29 AM   #12

Aug 2011
Christchurch, New Zealand

Hmmm...I'm a little reserved on this movie, I havent seen the original (or to be honest hadn't even heard of it until I found out that most of it was being filmed in New Zealand.

And I found that out from a co-worker who stumbled across "Millhaven" when he travelled south (from Christchurch) He was visiting some relatives and was passing through Tapanui which had been converted for the filming. Apparently some of the locals wanted to keep the name of millhaven for good as a lot of the shops had been repainted/re-decorated for the film.

I think we Kiwi's are blessed when it comes to major studios filming here...this may sound a bit strange but its not overly common, but its almost "Easy" to stumble on a film set.

A couple of years back I was trying to visit a "famous tavern" in Central Otago and stumbled across the filming of "The Light Between Oceans" (Rachel Weisz, Michael Fassbender) never got to the Tavern - which is famous for being reportedly haunted! it was closed for filming!

I guess there's something that draws you to a movie a little more when you kind of have a "connection" to it - locations, content (there I think of Everest about Kiwi climber Rob Hall) etc etc....

Still...not all "local" movies will draw me in - I'll wait for either a bit more hype about Pete's Dragon, or wait for some reviews from the masters of 3d Reviewers - THE CREW ON BLU-RAY.COM!

Chris
Thanks given by:
Interdimensional (02-26-2016)
Old 02-26-2016, 11:54 PM   #13
Power Member

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Good point about the dragons in recent movies having a more realistic, similar look and how a unique looking dragon could make the film possibly more interesting to those who aren't big fans of dragons. I see this one has more vibrant green in it, but it was a very short shot that it's hard to tell more aside from its more realistic design compared to the original cartoon.

Speaking of Don Bluth, he's currently working on a preview of Dragon's Lair after getting funded to produce and create a 1 minute full color animated preview animation to present to distributors for a possible Dragon's Lair Feature film. With the title Dragon's Lair, I would hope Singe the Dragon would return in some form; a very unique looking dragon. What's most amazing is he's 78 years old and still has the ambition to create a feature film. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Bluth
During Bluth's Spielberg/Lucas period, his studio was literally 10 minutes walk up the road from my house. I believe some bad experiences working on the original Pete's Dragon were among the contributing reasons for the Disney walkout.

It'll be interesting to see if they can create a dragon with personality for the remake. I think the success or failure of the film rides on that. I'm skeptical of some of the CG character work seen in trailers for Jungle Book. It's a bit uncanny valley, unsure of how 'realistic' it wants to be. A dragon shouldn't have such issues though.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (02-27-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 12:06 AM   #14
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interdimensional View Post
During Bluth's Spielberg/Lucas period, his studio was literally 10 minutes walk up the road from my house. I believe some bad experiences working on the original Pete's Dragon were among the contributing reasons for the Disney walkout.

It'll be interesting to see if they can create a dragon with personality for the remake. I think the success or failure of the film rides on that. I'm skeptical of some of the CG character work seen in trailers for Jungle Book. It's a bit uncanny valley, unsure of how 'realistic' it wants to be. A dragon shouldn't have such issues though.
Pretty cool, and thanks for the info.
I agree, the personality of the Dragon will set the tone of the movie.
Thanks given by:
EVERRET (02-27-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 12:10 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2014
Southeast U.S.

They're going to make the dragon some kind of cat/bird/dragon hybrid, so they can have a tie-in with The Last Guardian.

Or not.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:04 PM   #16
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud_brigman View Post
They're going to make the dragon some kind of cat/bird/dragon hybrid, so they can have a tie-in with The Last Guardian.

Or not.

The Last Guardian's feathered Dog creature is linked with Sony, which hopefully will finally be released on the PS4 by Fall 2016.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:30 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008

New poster confirms the 3D, presumably for the US as IMP Awards didn't flag this as an international poster:

Old 06-15-2016, 02:53 AM   #18
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Looks like a fuzzy dragon.

The 3D in the trailer (before Warcraft) looks good, medium, high medium 3D as Everret suggested.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:46 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2014
Southeast U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post

The Last Guardian's feathered Dog creature is linked with Sony, which hopefully will finally be released on the PS4 by Fall 2016.
October 25, I think. Been waiting for that for a looooooooong time. (As I'm sure others have.)
Old 06-16-2016, 01:52 AM   #20
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud_brigman View Post
October 25, I think. Been waiting for that for a looooooooong time. (As I'm sure others have.)
Yeah, that should be awesome, finally. The upgrade to PS4 is a nice bonus.
Shadow of the Colossus is epic, and even Ico.

I'm guessing this dragon named Pete will be able to talk in the movie.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies