Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.30

Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

3:10 to Yuma 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Transformers: The Ultimate Five Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.15

Spider-Man: Far from Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.10

Gods of Egypt 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 08-15-2019, 12:34 AM   #541
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2013
The Forbidden Valley of NE Ohio

That's what I'm saying. One of the cheapest universal players available is the X800M2. You can get pretty much everything you need in an affordable package. Of course there are better players but you won't get the same bang for your buck.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:33 AM   #542
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

But the Sony X800M2 has that annoying Dolby Vision manual operation.
And no HDR10+

Audiophiles who own physical disc collections on SACD and DVD-Audio already have a Universal player, or more.

The Pioneer LX500 is a good alternative to the Oppo 203 on eBay. ...Not much choice.

For a 4K Blu-ray player look for one that do Dolby Vision automatically, and HDR10+ .... IMHO
Does Panasonic fit that segment? Is it doing Dolby Vision properly?

Between Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony and LG ... what is/are our best bet when it comes to 4K Blu-ray picture quality properly and efficiently and accurately rendered?
Do we need Dolby Vision and HDR10+ in today's state?

How many need Universality and Versatility (audio discs formats) in a world of digital hi-res music streaming and downloads and HDR 4K UHD picture?

Who needs apps in a player? Me.
Who needs DSD, FLAC, WAV, MQA support in a player? Me.
Who needs a player that can also serves as a hi-end DAC?

What is the ultimate 4K BR player for best performance, features, value?
The LX500 was $769 @ one point. Oppo is gone. Black Friday is not far away.
Panasonic, Sony, LG, ... what to do what to do, can the Pioneer LX500 hit the $649 mark?

Are we going the way of the dodo with those very few 4K BR players?
Old 08-15-2019, 10:36 PM   #543
Power Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
But the Sony X800M2 has that annoying Dolby Vision manual operation.
And no HDR10+

Audiophiles who own physical disc collections on SACD and DVD-Audio already have a Universal player, or more.

The Pioneer LX500 is a good alternative to the Oppo 203 on eBay. ...Not much choice.

For a 4K Blu-ray player look for one that do Dolby Vision automatically, and HDR10+ .... IMHO
Does Panasonic fit that segment? Is it doing Dolby Vision properly?

Between Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony and LG ... what is/are our best bet when it comes to 4K Blu-ray picture quality properly and efficiently and accurately rendered?
Do we need Dolby Vision and HDR10+ in today's state?

How many need Universality and Versatility (audio discs formats) in a world of digital hi-res music streaming and downloads and HDR 4K UHD picture?

Who needs apps in a player? Me.
Who needs DSD, FLAC, WAV, MQA support in a player? Me.
Who needs a player that can also serves as a hi-end DAC?

What is the ultimate 4K BR player for best performance, features, value?
The LX500 was $769 @ one point. Oppo is gone. Black Friday is not far away.
Panasonic, Sony, LG, ... what to do what to do, can the Pioneer LX500 hit the $649 mark?

Are we going the way of the dodo with those very few 4K BR players?
The best all around universal 4K UHD player is the Oppo 203 and 205 imo.

The best 4K UHD player with apps and perfect UHD picture and upscaling is the Panasonic UB9000 and UB820.

The best all around universal 4K UHD players on the market now is likely the Pioneer LX500 and Sony X1100ES and X800M2. The Panasonic's don't play SACD or DVD-Audio.

The best 4K UHD players ever made so far imo is the Panasonic UB9000, Pioneer LX800 and Oppo 205.

So finding a UHD player that works best for your needs is really the most important. A used Oppo or a newer Panasonic, Sony and Pioneer can't go wrong with any of them.

I just wish the Pioneer LX800 would have come to the USA market for sale.
Thanks given by:
Wingman1977 (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 01:02 AM   #544
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Me I'm good, I already have my players, for my personal use.
The Pioneer LX500 is getting much more attractive @ less than $799, it fits a clientele.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:23 AM   #545
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny24 View Post
The best all around universal 4K UHD player is the Oppo 203 and 205 imo.

The best 4K UHD player with apps and perfect UHD picture and upscaling is the Panasonic UB9000 and UB820.

The best all around universal 4K UHD players on the market now is likely the Pioneer LX500 and Sony X1100ES and X800M2. The Panasonic's don't play SACD or DVD-Audio.

The best 4K UHD players ever made so far imo is the Panasonic UB9000, Pioneer LX800 and Oppo 205.

So finding a UHD player that works best for your needs is really the most important. A used Oppo or a newer Panasonic, Sony and Pioneer can't go wrong with any of them.

I just wish the Pioneer LX800 would have come to the USA market for sale.
I have to admit I'm curious about the LX800 but do we really need a super-uber player anymore? I always grabbed one of the higher end players but really am rethinking that strategy. The mid level players are loaded and will do the job pretty well.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:39 AM   #546
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

In North America the Pioneer LX800 is not needed, or it would be available.
...Same for 3D Blu-ray Disney flicks.

Follow the money trail, where the market shifts direction every year ... geographically, financially.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:34 AM   #547
Power Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphoR View Post
I have to admit I'm curious about the LX800 but do we really need a super-uber player anymore? I always grabbed one of the higher end players but really am rethinking that strategy. The mid level players are loaded and will do the job pretty well.
I don't see why not I mean at least make it limited or something, people will still buy them. The LX800 is built exactly like the 88FD which was a super nice BD/DVD player with 4K upscaling.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:57 AM   #548
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2013

Maybe Pioneer will release an LX800 similar model if they do an 8k player in a couple of years.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:11 AM   #549
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

We might see a prototype. 8K Blu-ray players for the masses? Could we really get that far?
Old 08-16-2019, 10:27 AM   #550
Power Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRings View Post
We might see a prototype. 8K Blu-ray players for the masses? Could we really get that far?
I don't know it could happen but I like the thought of buying an 8K set down the road and having it upconvert everything you play to 8K. The Samsung sets are doing something similar now so even if 8K UHD never happens 8K sets that upconvert to 8K surely will happen and be a thing. In no way do I need an 8K set now will wait till it gets even better after development and cheaper. The Samsung sets on the market now though are super nice not enough to get me to quit enjoyng my 4K OLED set though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphoR View Post
Maybe Pioneer will release an LX800 similar model if they do an 8k player in a couple of years.
Everyone says 8K UHD will never happen but the fat lady hasn't sung yet so never say never.
Thanks given by:
LordoftheRings (08-17-2019), sa5150 (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 02:04 AM   #551
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Most likely if native 8K optical discs become a reality, it is not going to happen until sometime around the year 2026. So if one wants to wait 7 years they can, other people are purchasing 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players now instead of waiting 7 years for a native 8K model.

A few years before native 8K players are released, we may see 8K upscaling players that upscale native 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray to simulated 8K quality.
Thanks given by:
LordoftheRings (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 03:30 AM   #552
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2013

The 8k (upscaling) TVs are already here so who knows?
Thanks given by:
LordoftheRings (08-17-2019)
Old 08-17-2019, 03:59 AM   #553
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

In the now the reality is indeed upscaling everything to 8K.
And, people shooting their own videos with 5K to 8K cameras.

https://www.red.com/

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 08-17-2019 at 04:12 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:00 AM   #554
Power Member

Feb 2010

8K upscaling is going to catch on it's going to be the next big thing with smart TV's. Once people realize it upscales everything to 8K they will upgrade a perfectly good 4K set for the 8K one. Pretty sure Sony, LG are working on processors for future 8K sets.

If 8K discs happen I agree with a poster it will be about 6 or 7 years from now when more and more people buy into 8K upscaling smart TV's and have the TV's for them. In 2016 more and more people had 4K sets in their homes so they put out the discs and players finally. They wait for the right time where it would be profitable. As for 8K upscaling UHD players I see that happening as well but not yet not enough manufacturers rolling out 8K sets at cheaper prices. If Samsung wanted to they should get back in the UHD player game and be the first to make an 8K upscaling 4K UHD player to go along with their 8K sets.

Last edited by danny24; 08-17-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #555

Oct 2012

Can the Pioneer play 4K HDR files with lossless audio? (I know the Panasonic can't)

Got a few UHD's I've successfuly ripped and sync'd with original audio files but looking for a way to play them back. Might get an Nvidia Shield but if the Pioneer did the job I'd consider it as I'm looking at upgrading my UHD player as well.
Old 09-13-2019, 09:07 PM   #556
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

On pages 30-33 of the September 2019 Widescreen Review magazine there is a excellent professional review on the flagship Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500. I have not had the chance to read the entire review yet (only the closing summary I read) since I am working on a lot of projects right now.

https://www.widescreenreview.com/wsr...il.php?current
Thanks given by:
RalphoR (09-14-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 04:50 AM   #557
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

I read the excellent review that was published by Widescreen Review magazine for the September 2019 issue. The out of production 2016 OPPO UDP-203 is still the top of the line reference player that all other Blu-ray players are compared too. The OPPO UDP-203 has 3 USB ports (2 rear USB 3.0 ports, and 1 front USB 2.0 port), 1GB of internal memory for BD-LIVE, 7.1 analog audio outputs, and many other input and outputs that are not offered on the Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500.. However, that being said, the 2018 Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 with a list price of $1,099 is the absolute best Blu-ray player in production when compared to anything else currently on the United States market. Pioneer Elite products are engineered in Japan and assembled in China using high quality automated Chinese robotic technology. Pioneer Elite products have excellent build quality and come with a 3 year warranty on parts and labor (Some Pioneer Elite products under ideal conditions with a pure sine wave UPS attached have the potential to last 20+ years). Like all current in production Blu-ray players on the market, the Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 does not have 1GB or larger internal storage, therefore for functions like BD-LIVE, bookmarks, and resume play an external USB drive 1GB or larger needs to be plugged into the player. While the Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 has no 7.1 analog audio outputs, the player does offer 2.0 analog audio outputs. In reality 7.1 analog audio outputs are only needed for around 15+ year old A/V receivers without the HDMI feature. Also, in order to get lossless 11.1 Dolby ATMOS and DTS X 100% of the time one always has to use the HDMI output on the Blu-ray player to the HDMI input on the A/V receiver (That includes first generation 2006 model Blu-ray players that bitstream). The Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 will play standard audio CD’s, SACD’s, DVD-Audio discs, DVD video discs, standard Blu-ray discs, Blu-ray 3D discs, and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs.

Like all modern Blu-ray players on the market the Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 uses Cinavia copy protection and when playing a pirated optical DVD disc the audio will be muted since the DVD copy that a consumer made was not authorized for playback. The Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 has 1Gbps Ethernet, and according to the review the author Doug Blackburn does not recommend buying any disc player in 2019+ without 1Gbps Ethernet. Both Pioneer and Panasonic 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players offer 1Gbps Ethernet, however no Sony 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray players offer that speed and the Sony’s are limited to 100Mbps Ethernet (Hopefully in 2021 Sony might offer 1Gbps Ethernet on all future 4K Blu-ray players).

According to the Widescreen Review magazine review the Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 is the quietest player that they have every heard. The OPPO UDP-203 and Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 basically have the exact same picture quality for all optical discs without HDR. However since the Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 offers excellent tone mapping technology, then on some projectors and flat panel screens when HDR encoded 4K Blu-ray discs are played, the Pioneer UDP-LX500 can sometimes offers a better picture quality when compared to the OPPO UDP-203/UDP-205 (OPPO does not offer the tone mapping feature). The Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 supports HDR10, and Dolby Vision HDR, and with a promised future Pioneer firmware update HDR10+ will be officially supported. Currently only the latest Panasonic 4K Blu-ray players officially support HDR10+, and the OPPO UDP-203/UDP-205 also supports HDR10+ but never received an official HDR10+ certification. Sony 4K Blu-ray players at this time have no plans on offering a HDR10+ firmware update.

Bottom line if one does not currently own an out of production OPPO UDP-203/UDP205 then the Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 is the best of the best reference 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player on the United States market.

On pages 30-33 of the September 2019 Widescreen Review magazine there is an excellent professional review on the flagship Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500.

https://www.widescreenreview.com/wsr...il.php?current

The following are select word for word quotes from the September 2019 Widescreen Review magazine (review located on pages 30-33)

“The UDP-LX500 is the only disc player in Pioneer’s current product line-up.”

“The first thing you notice about this disc player is how heavy it is.”

“While on the subject of HDR, the UDP-LX500 supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision. HDR10+ support was supposed to be added via firmware update, but there wasn’t a display with HDR10+ support here during this review so I was not able to confirm that HDR10+ was working yet, but Pioneer has indicated that HDR10+ support is coming, if it is not here now with the recent update.”

“The UDP-LX500 observes copy protection and uses Cinavia to detect protected content.”

“One problem some disc players are starting to run into is Ethernet speed. Most disc players continue to offer 10/100 Ethernet ports that are marginal for transferring UHD movies over your network without buffering pauses. The UDP-LX500 has a 1,000/100/10 Ethernet port (aka gigabit Ethernet or 1Gbps or 1,000Mbps). That much speed may well be required for viewing UHD/HDR content over your home network without interruptions. As of 2019, I would not recommend purchasing any disc player that doesn’t support 1,000Mbps/1 Gbps Ethernet.”

“This just may be the quietest-in-operation disc player I’ve ever heard.”

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 09-16-2019 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:11 PM   #558

Jan 2019
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
Promotional pricing deals are always timed and scheduled by each manufacturer.

Beware, that most consumer electronics prices will increase even further very very soon as the new tariffs will be passed along to the USA importers, distributors and retailers.
Interesting, since I bought 2 LX-500 units one last October and one in December and the price for each was the equivalent of USD $820 in Canadian dollars.
Seems they are cheaper here in Canada?
Old 09-16-2019, 10:23 PM   #559
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

I too I've read the review from Widescreen, "free" to download by the way.
...Pretty good review, the closest Universal 4K BR player to the defunct Oppo 203 and 205.

20190916_153757.jpg

Just click on "Download This Article" ... https://www.widescreenreview.com/wsr...il.php?current

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 09-16-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:20 PM   #560
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2013

Very impressed with how well this unit works. There's only been a couple of firmware updates since launch so it's been more than capable with anything new thrown at it.
Thanks given by:
HDTV1080P (10-26-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Tags
bdp-lx500, pioneer elite, pioneer elite bdp-lx500, value electronics