Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$25.99

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Long Day's Journey Into Night 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

The Universe in 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.86

G-Force 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.44

Tomb Raider 3D (Blu-ray)
$21.00

Kylie Minogue: Aphrodite Les Folies - Live in London (Blu-ray)
$23.24

Rampage 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.03

Bait (Blu-ray)
$7.69

Jivaro 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.98

The Meg 3D (Blu-ray)
$21.98

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 08-22-2018, 11:41 PM   #1

May 2010
Question Why do they STILL make 3D Movies?

Hey All,

Maybe this has already been answered so, I apologize for the repetition. That said...Why do they continue to make 3D Discs if they've stopped making 3D TV's? I get that they might be catering to consumers who already have 3D TV's...however, I find it odd that there are so many movies that are released in the theater in 3D, why would they discontinue creating 3D TVs?

I have an 46" LG that I bought 6 years ago, and I have to admit, I get anxious when I think about this TV blowing out, knowing there are no replacements (other than buying an older, possibly used model).

Thoughts?
Old 08-23-2018, 01:34 AM   #2
Expert Member

Oct 2017
Beach in North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaneg0d View Post
Hey All,

Maybe this has already been answered so, I apologize for the repetition. That said...Why do they continue to make 3D Discs if they've stopped making 3D TV's? I get that they might be catering to consumers who already have 3D TV's...however, I find it odd that there are so many movies that are released in the theater in 3D, why would they discontinue creating 3D TVs?

I have an 46" LG that I bought 6 years ago, and I have to admit, I get anxious when I think about this TV blowing out, knowing there are no replacements (other than buying an older, possibly used model).

Thoughts?
I used to ask that question, but when I realized the world is full of crazy people I quit worrying and began to love the Disney. Hell we have 800 3d blu-rays. So shit on everyone who tries to throw a wet blanket on my 3d party!(And I don't mean you, by the way, as I can see your concern is earnest.)

Your gut is right; I believe they will slow/stop making 3d blu-rays, and with no new 3d tvs, life for 3d lovers will be harder. But there are still 3d projectors, which are very very nice, and we have so many movies already out in 3d that you can almost watch a different one every night for 3 years, and never watch the same one during that time.

Much as some of those *******s in charge of 3d would like to, they ain't taking 3d from us again.

Tell everyone you know how great 3d is. And remember, we are truly the blessed.

And as soon as you can, order Revenge of the Creature in 3d. And after you watch it give the powers that be a big "**** you!" salute.
Thanks given by:
Insaneg0d (08-23-2018), luv2shop (12-31-2018), Peter G. Keller (01-31-2019), robtadrian (11-03-2018), RXP (12-25-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 02:07 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Under an arch

I wonder why they still make 2d movies. They would have sold a lot more 3d TVs if all you could buy were 3d movies. Now we have HD and UHD but most people are still buying SD. Sometimes you have to force people to do the right thing.
Thanks given by:
8traxrule (08-23-2018), Variety Films 3D (01-04-2019)
Old 08-23-2018, 05:14 AM   #4

May 2010

@wildbill722 Thanks for your thoughts on this...I thought I was the only one with concerns about this!

I'll look into a 3D Projector...I love watching movies in my backyard. Would be great to have a 3D Movie Party using a projector. I'll keep buying 3D movies while they still make em!

Cheers!
Old 10-30-2018, 02:35 AM   #5

Oct 2018

Why still make 3D movies? Simple. It's all about maximizing the sales. They can cover the Blu-ray, 4K, and Blu-ray 3D market.

In my case, if a movie is not 3D I may not buy the BD at all, but if they also manufactured the 3D version, I would likely buy it even if I am not enthused or excited about the 2D version (it's all about seeing it in 3D, isn't it? Do I need to explain that to the choir?). So, in the end, the studios/manufacturers garner more sales. Just getting a few per cent more in sales with 3D Blu-rays is still profitable and worth pursuing. And there are still a number of 3D TVs and projectors out there.

caver3d
Thanks given by:
mredman (01-08-2019)
Old 11-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #6
Special Member

Jul 2009

Yet there's a number of 3D titles that didn't get a 3D Blu-Ray release. I would have bought all of them if they had come out, but won't even watch them for free in 2D.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:10 PM   #7

Jul 2017
england

for me i only buy a 2d blu ray if i LOVE the film (IT)
or if its in poundland or v cheap.

The vast majority of new films are on now tv or netflix, which i pay form nowtv SD only but its ok, netflix is HD.

But i dont get the same buzz from most 2d films as i do 3D, i want the home cinema blasting, the lights out, total silence and immersion- with a 2d one i dont mind just watching in bed or with tv speakers.

3D i will buy bargain cheapos in most cases, and will buy the vast majority of new releases first day.

Id guess the figures for dvd sales must be high enough, but i really feel with the predator and mi6 non releases its a turning point for the worse/ them drying up totally.
Thanks given by:
robtadrian (11-03-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #8

Nov 2009

why they're still releasing any 3D titles when you can't buy anymore 3D-TV's ???
hm. Doesn't make sense to me
Old 12-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2011
Dryland

Because people like us still buy them.

You can still buy 3D projectors.
Thanks given by:
Mister Showman (12-21-2018), Regislive (02-10-2019)
Old 12-20-2018, 05:04 PM   #10

May 2018
Pacific Northwest, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissangel4616 View Post
why they're still releasing any 3D titles when you can't buy anymore 3D-TV's ???
That's an interesting question. I'd be willing to bet that companies that market physical media are continually looking for ways to help their bottom lines. As revenues from disc sales continue to shrink due to e-media, the importance of niche markets cannot be ignored. Do yourself a favor and run a "completed" ebay search for "Mad Magician" or "Man in the Dark" to help you understand the passion. And then do an amazon search for just about any movie issued in this format. Ask yourself why the 3D included version is selling for twice as much as the standard Blu-ray. This should help enlighten you as proof that there is still a loyal market for 3D Blu-ray. Will it last forever? Perhaps not. But this is a good example of where the hardware engineers and disc marketing folks didn't talk to each other enough and ended up getting the timing wrong with pulling the plug on 3D TV. It really wouldn't surprise me to see an upstart television manufacturer produce a 3D capable monitor at some time in the future. If it makes monetary sense, it will happen.
Thanks given by:
Mister Showman (12-21-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 06:22 PM   #11
Power Member

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissangel4616 View Post
Personally, and I think most 3D fans would agree with me, I think the TV manufacturers totally screwed 3D fans and it really stinks. Since movies are still being released in 3D on blu-ray (including movies like "The Last Jedi"), and considering many of us have huge libraries of 3D titles which we spent a fortune on, for them to not offer a single television model with 3D capability is just plain wrong and a total stab in the back to their own customers. This is especially true for Sony, who has ownership in the blu-ray format and developed blu-ray 3D. Luckily I purchased a 75 inch Sony Z9D which has 3D and hopefully will last a long time. I also have a movie room with a JVC projector and thankfully those still are being released (many) with 3D capability. But try and find a 4k HDR regular television with 3D, unless you go with used on Ebay, or a fortune for a new packaged older model, there is absolutely nothing. Shame on the entire industry.

They should also be ashamed about the roll-out of 3D televisions, glasses for $150, different glasses for different televisions, 2 types of 3D (active and passive), and they expected the consumer to sort it all out? And how about those exclusive Samsung and other manufacturer's exclusive 3D titles when the format first came out? A child could have predicted this format was doomed from the start. It is really a sad story.

Last edited by Robert Siegel; 12-20-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Thanks given by:
8traxrule (12-25-2018), Active3D (12-21-2018), dartfrog298 (01-07-2019), drak b (01-02-2019), Hedji (12-20-2018), Joe D. (12-27-2018), Kenbar (12-27-2018), luv2shop (12-31-2018), Mister Showman (12-21-2018), Porco Azzurro (12-27-2018), the13thman (12-21-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 06:02 AM   #12
Special Member

Jul 2009

^Yet at the same time, they had unreasonably high expectations for its success- they thought EVERYONE would buy into it right away. It really needs several more years to catch on, and now the efforts to kill it aren’t doing any good in that regard.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #13

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill722 View Post

Tell everyone you know how great 3d is. And remember, we are truly the blessed.
100% agree on what you said. There's so much marketing and effort from hobbyists and consumers into getting a great picture in HDR. And when it's great, it does look fantastic.

Meanwhile, with my OLED C6 in 3D I have the best picture outside of an IMAX Laser I've ever seen. It's a niche within a niche and i'm one of the tiny minority able to get it.

While I would prefer it to be wider spread - I really like that I can enjoy this as much as I can.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:57 PM   #14
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXP View Post
100% agree on what you said. There's so much marketing and effort from hobbyists and consumers into getting a great picture in HDR. And when it's great, it does look fantastic.

Meanwhile, with my OLED C6 in 3D I have the best picture outside of an IMAX Laser I've ever seen. It's a niche within a niche and i'm one of the tiny minority able to get it.

While I would prefer it to be wider spread - I really like that I can enjoy this as much as I can.
Your comment above is indication why 3D TV is dead. Niche within niche usually dies.
Old 12-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #15
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Siegel View Post
Personally, and I think most 3D fans would agree with me, I think the TV manufacturers totally screwed 3D fans and it really stinks. Since movies are still being released in 3D on blu-ray (including movies like "The Last Jedi"), and considering many of us have huge libraries of 3D titles which we spent a fortune on, for them to not offer a single television model with 3D capability is just plain wrong and a total stab in the back to their own customers. This is especially true for Sony, who has ownership in the blu-ray format and developed blu-ray 3D. Luckily I purchased a 75 inch Sony Z9D which has 3D and hopefully will last a long time. I also have a movie room with a JVC projector and thankfully those still are being released (many) with 3D capability. But try and find a 4k HDR regular television with 3D, unless you go with used on Ebay, or a fortune for a new packaged older model, there is absolutely nothing. Shame on the entire industry.

They should also be ashamed about the roll-out of 3D televisions, glasses for $150, different glasses for different televisions, 2 types of 3D (active and passive), and they expected the consumer to sort it all out? And how about those exclusive Samsung and other manufacturer's exclusive 3D titles when the format first came out? A child could have predicted this format was doomed from the start. It is really a sad story.
The Sony Z9D active 3D is problematic.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:09 PM   #16

Oct 2014

If a TV company does decide to offer 3D again I hope they know better than to offer active. Most don't seem to like it and passive works great. I think they offer active in the hopes that folks will buy more...expensive glasses from them. All about $$$$
Thanks given by:
luv2shop (12-31-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 07:58 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Southern NH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
The Sony Z9D active 3D is problematic.
My 75 inch after adjustments has very little crosstalk, I have 2 1080p dlps that have 0 crosstalk and I would not watch 3D on them after seeing it on the Z9D.
Old 12-27-2018, 03:10 PM   #18
Special Member

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon1281 View Post
I wonder why they still make 2d movies. They would have sold a lot more 3d TVs if all you could buy were 3d movies.
I wish it had worked that way. Make everything 3D by default, with an option on the TV to show the 3D content (those who don't like 3D or can't watch in 3D for health reasons will never turn this on). Display the same image to both eyes for 2D content.
Thanks given by:
Damon1281 (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Under an arch

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailking View Post
I wish it had worked that way. Make everything 3D by default, with an option on the TV to show the 3D content (those who don't like 3D or can't watch in 3D for health reasons will never turn this on). Display the same image to both eyes for 2D content.
Right! After all, they made me buy CDs when I would have happily kept buying vinyl. We could be getting 4k3dhdrhfr by now and put those DVDs and VHS tapes in a landfill where they belong. Nobody would want to go back to tapes like they do vinyl.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:07 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

I still think the biggest problem was introducing 3D monitors just as most households had equipped themselves with their first or second HD monitors. TV sales were dropping because less people needed to buy. I noted that industry executives were saying TVs were a commodity, like computers, which consumers upgrade every four years. How could they be so out of touch? Unlike many in this forum, most families keep their sets until they start breaking down.

At that time there was also the expected hype and promises like programs and sporting events in 3D which would have been very expensive to produce and for cable to upgrade. The entertainment industry handled it like former Mets GM Sandy Alderson who told fans they should first buy tickets so he would then have the money to spend on free agents. Usually one provides the product first. The few 3D stations quickly folded. It was short term profit instead of risking necessary financial losses over a period of years to see if 3D at home would garner a viable following over time. 3D stations could have been part of a high level cable tier. Or more disc titles.

As others say 3D could have remained a feature on many sets which could have led to that possible while gradual increase of enthusiasts.

I was always wanting a 3D set but was not going to junk what I had just to get it. Remember what the costs for even low level HD monitors were the beginning of the decade. They were an expensive investment unlike today. So when my set died in 2015, I then seriously looked into 3D. Best consumer decision I ever made and I think this would have been the case for many - not an overwhelming turn to 3D but enough to sustain increasing sales of discs.

They simply decided on their own that 3D had little consumer support because it wasn't an immediate success financially. Neither were color televisions if one is old enough to remember.

Last edited by Joe D.; 12-27-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (12-27-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion