Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$80.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99

Shazam! 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.99
7 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Heart of Dragon (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Nobody (Blu-ray)
$6.99
9 hrs ago
The Conjuring Universe 7-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Barn (Blu-ray)
$18.47
3 hrs ago
Black Adam 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
1 day ago
The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Halloween Ends 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 08-28-2009, 10:21 PM   #41

Dec 2008
Louisville, KY
Default Jamo center channel speakers

It seems like all the Jamo centers have 4 inch drivers. Most other speaker companies have the same size driver as the matching speakers. Why use different size drivers?
Old 08-29-2009, 04:49 AM   #42
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by browndk26 View Post
It seems like all the Jamo centers have 4 inch drivers. Most other speaker companies have the same size driver as the matching speakers. Why use different size drivers?
While I can't tell you why, I can tell you that you don't need to be concerned about that, and that Jamo is not the only one that does that. for instance, I have energys, and the Towers are the C-300s and C-500, they have 6.5" drivers the C-C100 is the center channel, its the largest center channel in this line of speakers and it has 5.5" drivers. I can tell you that the C-C100 is perfectly matched to the towers. In the 5.5" drivers it pushes hard and has good low end to match the C-300s and C-500s.

So it really comes down to design and how the speakers blend and work with one another over the driver size. Remember its not the size that counts, but how you use it.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:39 PM   #43
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
While I can't tell you why, I can tell you that you don't need to be concerned about that, and that Jamo is not the only one that does that. for instance, I have energys, and the Towers are the C-300s and C-500, they have 6.5" drivers the C-C100 is the center channel, its the largest center channel in this line of speakers and it has 5.5" drivers. I can tell you that the C-C100 is perfectly matched to the towers. In the 5.5" drivers it pushes hard and has good low end to match the C-300s and C-500s.

So it really comes down to design and how the speakers blend and work with one another over the driver size. Remember its not the size that counts, but how you use it.
I second you on that since I have the energy setup and also heard the s 606 and s60 CEN together and they blend in very well so no concern there.

Even Energy is stating you can mix any C-Series together and work well as some of us have C-C50 with C-300 or 500 and still works well.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:10 PM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
I second you on that since I have the energy setup and also heard the s 606 and s60 CEN together and they blend in very well so no concern there.

Even Energy is stating you can mix any C-Series together and work well as some of us have C-C50 with C-300 or 500 and still works well.
I'll add another post of agreement to what Callas said. The 4" drivers in my S 500CEN (same as the S 60) match the 6" drivers of the S 506 and the 8" drivers of the E 680 perfectly.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:31 PM   #45

Oct 2007

heard the 909, begged my rep for a pair, he said he gets his first!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney View Post
heard the 909, begged my rep for a pair, he said he gets his first!
In-depth review please!

Also, where are you located?
Old 09-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

In case anyone is interested, Vanns.com has the E 770 in Dark Apple for $199 each.

I've heard these myself and they sound awesome, better than my E 680 or S 506. It has a rear-firing woofer, which isn't shown in the picture. The E 7 series won the EISA Home Theater Loudspeaker award for 2004-2005.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #48

Oct 2007

live in fl, listen to them in denver. sound big stage, fast , smouth,
Old 09-02-2009, 11:43 PM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydney View Post
live in fl, listen to them in denver. sound big stage, fast , smouth,
Someday I'll get a chance to listen to them.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #50
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

I'm going to re-watch a few scenes of Quantum of Solace today with one my S 502 bookshelf speakers hooked up as the center to determine if I can hear any difference vs. my S 500CEN.

There was a couple action scenes (the beginning in particular) where the music drowns out the voices somewhat. The voices weren't drowned out during the rest of the film, so I'm sure this was how the soundtrack was mixed, but I'm curious to see if using a bookshelf speaker instead of a 'dedicated' center will help any.

Also, Callas, once I'm done with that, I'll move the S 506's to the front and watch a few scenes over again to decide which I prefer upfront. I might have to throw Master and Commander in to determine which has better bass extension.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:59 AM   #51
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

Alright, finally got back to the comparison. I didn't have time to post my thoughts Saturday before I left for the weekend, but I did write everything down, so this isn't from memory.

I'll also discuss both QOS and M&C without spoiler tags. I don't believe anything I mention is going to give away any elements of the plot, but consider this fair warning.

The first configuration was the E 680's up front with the S500 CEN in the center. I used my two S 506's as surrounds. My only complaint with this set-up was that during the action scenes in Quantum of Solace I felt the voices were getting lost a little. Voices were fine the rest of the film, so I didn't manually change the Audyssey settings.

Next, I swapped out the S500 for an S 502 bookshelf. The 502 has one 4" driver vs. the 500's two. After running Audyssey, I replayed the opening to QOS. The first thing I noticed was the collision between one of the cars following Bond and the truck seemed a little more realistic. Then again, I've never been in a head-on collision, but the breaking glass sounded better. Then, when the Italian police officer speaks into his radio, the dialog seemed much clearer than with the S500. I'll never go back to using a horizontal speaker again, I only wish I could fit a tower speaker under my display, so I could have identical speakers across the front.

Finally, for Callas, I moved the E 680's to the rears and brought the S 506's to the front. After toe-in and calibration I re-watched the opening to QOS. I couldn't detect a better timbre match the the 506's, so it would seem the E and S series are in fact timbre matched. While watching the scene with the airplanes (chapter 19), I noticed the bass was a little tighter with the 506's. Perhaps the 8" woofers in the 680 produces a more boomy bass or the floor spike in the 506's helped to tighten the bass up. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to remove the spikes and have another listen. Then again, with five 6 ohm speakers hooked up too my Onkyo 605, perhaps I didn't have enough power to properly control the 8" woofers.

After QOS, I put in Master & Commander in order to test the bass output of the 506 vs the 680. I had watched M&C during my first test of the day, so it was still fresh in my mind. While watching the opening battle, I couldn't find a discernible difference between the two towers. I did notice a lot more action in the surrounds though.

During all tests, both the mains and surround speakers were set to full band, as I don't have a sub yet, and the center channel was set at 80Hz.

Last edited by Jwilly019; 09-10-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

I've seen all the theaterr signs that people have on the site, but hadn't seen a Jamo sign until a couple weeks ago, when I saw this on eBay:

Couple of other pictures, it lights up, but the plug is for a European outlet, so I need to get a converter for it.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:50 PM   #53
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
Clayton, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilly019 View Post
I've seen all the theaterr signs that people have on the site, but hadn't seen a Jamo sign until a couple weeks ago, when I saw this on eBay:

Couple of other pictures, it lights up, but the plug is for a European outlet, so I need to get a converter for it.

Awesome JAMO sign indeed,Jwilly. That is a Great Addition to your Home Theater Room.
I know you are away for most of the week,but I will go ahead and say that you have one of the nicest Speaker Sign(Displays)I have seen.

It almost looks like something an Audio Store would have in their store to show the different brands of products they carry.
Awesome Indeed,Jwill...
Old 09-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by talstarone View Post
Awesome JAMO sign indeed,Jwilly. That is a Great Addition to your Home Theater Room.
I know you are away for most of the week,but I will go ahead and say that you have one of the nicest Speaker Sign(Displays)I have seen.

It almost looks like something an Audio Store would have in their store to show the different brands of products they carry.
Awesome Indeed,Jwill...
Thanks Tals.

The sign didn't cost much more than the signs that some members have in their home theatres either. I'm going to be running some errands later, so hopefully I can get a converter then.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
Denmark

Hey guys

I think I have found the subwoofer I want.. I can get a good deal on the Jamo SW 505E which is a powerful 12" sub! What I have now is an 8" Eltax, and I have been looking for a Jamo to fit my system for a while! The Eltax isn't powerful enough and a Jamo would be a logical choice!

I have a question though:
The unit is inside of the cabinet and I was thinking of putting somethin under the sub.. I have wooden floor and I have heard there could be a whole lot of distortion because of this.. Was thinking about putting a granite base on the floor, then a set of spikes under my subwoofer. .What do you think of that? Should I maybe put something underneath the granite block as well?

Thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #56
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsb90 View Post
Hey guys

I think I have found the subwoofer I want.. I can get a good deal on the Jamo SW 505E which is a powerful 12" sub! What I have now is an 8" Eltax, and I have been looking for a Jamo to fit my system for a while! The Eltax isn't powerful enough and a Jamo would be a logical choice!

I have a question though:
The unit is inside of the cabinet and I was thinking of putting somethin under the sub.. I have wooden floor and I have heard there could be a whole lot of distortion because of this.. Was thinking about putting a granite base on the floor, then a set of spikes under my subwoofer. .What do you think of that? Should I maybe put something underneath the granite block as well?

Thanks
Put an area rug under the sub and raise it with a riser. Read DIY Subwoofer Risers. The theory behind risers is explained in Posts #2 &3. If you go through the posts, you will see different risers that members have built.Go through the thread
Old 10-10-2009, 11:22 AM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

If anyone is interested, there is a pair of R909 speakers on eBay right now.

Still 3 days left.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #58

Oct 2009

I was wondering what you all think of the combo deal listed on the E770's with the sub.

All 3 for 500.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...770-dark-apple
Old 11-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #59
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by talstarone View Post
I had seen those before and posted on that thread about 3 posts after the last Speaker Pic.I forgot how much I liked the Looks of those Jamo Pictures,They are Beautiful.And the drivers and tweeters have a nice design that looks like it would allow for good to great performance.

After seeing these I am going to have to call that New Audio Store about 20 to 25minutes away(or right in that general time range)Since they say they are an Authorized Jamo Dealer.

I have considered putting together 2 Seperate System in my HT Area.And have the Rotel components and the SACD and turn table as sources.If I do it like this without connecting the 2 systems to use my current speakers for Audio use as well as HT Use.

Or either unplug one set of cables from the HT and connect some for the 2-Channel System. I had considered getting a nice,quality,impressive sound of bookshelf speakers(Bookshelfs for Mostly Size considerations as well as price concerns).So I would like to look at and listen to several beands including Jamo.

So Justin,my Friend,does Jamo make a good "Music" bookshelf speaker Around the $200 to $300 price range per pair?
Hello Todd,

You actually have a pretty decent amount of choices in that price range. Some I've heard and some I haven't. Everything I've heard has had a very similar, neutral (maybe on the warm side of the spectrum) sound.

I'll start with the top of the line in your price range and work my way down:

First, would be the C 603 Bookshelf Speaker. They are available through an Amazon third party seller for $282 plus shipping. I had no idea these had came down so much in price, but after looking through a few other sites, it seems this is the norm. Anyway, I heard these when I was auditioning speakers and truly enjoyed the sound they produced. I found myself sitting in the auditioning room, enjoying the music. They were much less harsh than the Paradigm speakers next to it. The only area I felt they were lacking in was the low end, but that's too be expected with any bookshelf speaker.

Next is the smaller bookshelf in the C60 line, the C 601. It's available on Amazon for $225 shipped. Unfortunately, I've never heard the 601, but I'm confident it sounds similar to the 603. Given the choice, I would probably choose the 603 for an additional 50-60 dollars since you get a larger woofer. Don't be turned away by the 4" woofer in the 601 (and some of the following models), as Jamo commonly uses 4" drivers in their speakers to great results.

The last option is the E 805 Bookshelf Speaker. The E series is a step down from the C series (think of the E series as the TSi line compared with the RTi line, which would compare with thee C series). Again, I haven't had a chance to listen to the E 805, but the E8 line was the top of the E series. Like the other two bookshelves, you'll find the low end lacking here though. They are available at Vanns for $300 shipped. Given the higher price than the other two options, I would put this at the bottom of the list.

Unless you're really set on getting bookshelves, I would also consider the E 660. It would roughly compare to the TSi 300 (maybe even the 400 given it's a 3-way speaker, but that's a stretch), but after hearing both, I prefer the sound of the E 660 more. The 6.5" woofer will help fill in the low end that the bookshelves lacked. I auditioned them with an SACD player as my source and they sounded amazing. They had good separation, while producing a warm sound that I could listen to for hours. And at $140 for the pair, it's hard to beat. I have plans to integrate the 660 into my set-up at some point, but that's for another post . You could also get them in the Dark Apple finish, which looks great, for the same price.

I think that sums it up pretty well. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Jamo produces great speakers and we need more owners here.

Justin
Old 11-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #60
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
Clayton, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilly019 View Post
Hello Todd,

You actually have a pretty decent amount of choices in that price range. Some I've heard and some I haven't. Everything I've heard has had a very similar, neutral (maybe on the warm side of the spectrum) sound.

I'll start with the top of the line in your price range and work my way down:

First, would be the C 603 Bookshelf Speaker. They are available through an Amazon third party seller for $282 plus shipping. I had no idea these had came down so much in price, but after looking through a few other sites, it seems this is the norm. Anyway, I heard these when I was auditioning speakers and truly enjoyed the sound they produced. I found myself sitting in the auditioning room, enjoying the music. They were much less harsh than the Paradigm speakers next to it. The only area I felt they were lacking in was the low end, but that's too be expected with any bookshelf speaker.

Next is the smaller bookshelf in the C60 line, the C 601. It's available on Amazon for $225 shipped. Unfortunately, I've never heard the 601, but I'm confident it sounds similar to the 603. Given the choice, I would probably choose the 603 for an additional 50-60 dollars since you get a larger woofer. Don't be turned away by the 4" woofer in the 601 (and some of the following models), as Jamo commonly uses 4" drivers in their speakers to great results.

The last option is the E 805 Bookshelf Speaker. The E series is a step down from the C series (think of the E series as the TSi line compared with the RTi line, which would compare with thee C series). Again, I haven't had a chance to listen to the E 805, but the E8 line was the top of the E series. Like the other two bookshelves, you'll find the low end lacking here though. They are available at Vanns for $300 shipped. Given the higher price than the other two options, I would put this at the bottom of the list.

Unless you're really set on getting bookshelves, I would also consider the E 660. It would roughly compare to the TSi 300 (maybe even the 400 given it's a 3-way speaker, but that's a stretch), but after hearing both, I prefer the sound of the E 660 more. The 6.5" woofer will help fill in the low end that the bookshelves lacked. I auditioned them with an SACD player as my source and they sounded amazing. They had good separation, while producing a warm sound that I could listen to for hours. And at $140 for the pair, it's hard to beat. I have plans to integrate the 660 into my set-up at some point, but that's for another post . You could also get them in the Dark Apple finish, which looks great, for the same price.

I think that sums it up pretty well. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Jamo produces great speakers and we need more owners here.

Justin
Thanks for Providing the Info on the Jamo Bookshelf Speakers,Justin,my Friend .

I will be honest that I cant say with 100% assurdeness,if I go with seperate Bookshelves.Or if I keep the Polk TSi-400's and just change out speaker cables.

I would perfer the seperate speakers(as I will be adding a stronger and deeper rated sub to my system)So that would leave the Polk PSW10 to add to the Bookshelf Speakers.

But with a Room already loaded with equipment and Much More to be added in the next couple of months,I dont know where I would put a pair of bookshelfs and have them placed correctly.
Unless I can find a way to hook the sources(SACD,TurnTable)and the Pre-Amp and Amp thru the Yamaha RX-V665 by some sort of bypass I dont know exactally what I will do.

I think since I will have some time to kill Monday before UPS gets here.I will study my Yamaha Manual Inside and Out.Then maybe I can find a way to bypass the receiver. So we will have to see.But I know someone,somewhere will have an answer.

As I just feel it is Possible to run it that way.But I do appreciate the help in going over the Jamo Speakers with me.In some ways if I knew I could find a pair of headphones that would re-produce the music as well as a pair of Speakers,I would give that route consideration.But are there headphones with that level of performance for @$200.00 and slightly higher ?

I guess I will just work on this until I have the next round of upgrades set-up.As I forgot I have the Correct Sony PS-One that is supposed to be an amost Audiophile CD Player(They are catching on quickly in the Forum).Luv13 and DriverKing both are using them now.

So since I have the correct model number and production date.I may change my first upgrade to a TurnTable instead of a SACD Player.But as of now,Nothing is written in stone.

And I would Sincerely,Like to Say Thank You For the Help,Justin
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers