Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Three Colors 4K (Blu-ray)
$87.49
14 hrs ago
Plane 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.07
22 hrs ago
Westworld: Season Four 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.49
5 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99

The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$80.99

Spoiler Alert (Blu-ray)
$22.96
15 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Shazam! 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.99
1 day ago
Three Thousand Years of Longing (Blu-ray)
$16.09
12 hrs ago
Heart of Dragon (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Halloween Ends (Blu-ray)
$17.96
7 hrs ago
Nobody (Blu-ray)
$6.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 04-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #21

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Something happened yesterday that brought a true smile to my face. After almost exactly 3 months of ownership of the G7.1f speakers, various changes in placement and tweeter/bass adjustments, they have settled in or I have settled in to them. I suspect it's a combination of both.

Coming from a textile dome tweeter in the Totem Sttaf and then moving to a circular ribbon tweeter design in the G7.1 required an open mind as their sound couldn't be more different. A person used to the former, and one who is quick to make a review, would wrongly ascertain that their straightforward interpretation of music makes them cold and sterile. Luckily, and wisely, I am not of that persuasion and always give any component time and attention for extended periods. A quick-draw or knee-jerk review after a day or two is neither to the benefit of the product or the listener, and those opinions are usually much less than truly accurate.

Over the last 3 months I have become very familiar with them and I think that yesterday was the culmination of it. Yesterday was my reward for patience and for now completely understanding what these speakers bring to the table. They are honest, accurate and very balanced across the frequency spectrum. By this I mean that no frequency is at any time overpowering to the other.

Playing my copy of the Speaker's Corner reissue of Supertramp-Crime of the Century, Rickie Lee Jones-Traffic From Paradise on Analogue Productions, and Simply Vinyl's Roxy Music-Avalon delivered sonics I had not experienced before. I won't bore you by using the traditional adjectives associated by reviewers, but will say that these speakers deliver on every front. I couldn't be happier with them.

Now, that is not to say they are perfect or that changes in my system to make them sound even better to my ears aren't required. I think they are, but I can live with that until such time as I am able to implement them. One of them will be easy, and that is a change in phono cartridge. As such, I plan on selling my Ortofon 2M Black and replacing it with a Grado Reference Sonata. Yes, I am going back to Grado....their lush midrange is a strength the Ortofon doesn't project for me. Of course, this a purely a personal preference and in no way a condemnation of the fine transducer that the Ortofon is.

Unfortunately, I'm about the change room setups and will almost have to start over again, although perhaps only from the midway point now that I have come this far. I'm looking forward to that change, and if I may project a bit here I would say there will again be an improvement.

So there you have it. I love these beauties.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:32 AM   #22
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
Something happened yesterday that brought a true smile to my face. After almost exactly 3 months of ownership of the G7.1f speakers, various changes in placement and tweeter/bass adjustments, they have settled in or I have settled in to them. I suspect it's a combination of both.

Coming from a textile dome tweeter in the Totem Sttaf and then moving to a circular ribbon tweeter design in the G7.1 required an open mind as their sound couldn't be more different. A person used to the former, and one who is quick to make a review, would wrongly ascertain that their straightforward interpretation of music makes them cold and sterile. Luckily, and wisely, I am not of that persuasion and always give any component time and attention for extended periods. A quick-draw or knee-jerk review after a day or two is neither to the benefit of the product or the listener, and those opinions are usually much less than truly accurate.

Over the last 3 months I have become very familiar with them and I think that yesterday was the culmination of it. Yesterday was my reward for patience and for now completely understanding what these speakers bring to the table. They are honest, accurate and very balanced across the frequency spectrum. By this I mean that no frequency is at any time overpowering to the other.

Playing my copy of the Speaker's Corner reissue of Supertramp-Crime of the Century, Rickie Lee Jones-Traffic From Paradise on Analogue Productions, and Simply Vinyl's Roxy Music-Avalon delivered sonics I had not experienced before. I won't bore you by using the traditional adjectives associated by reviewers, but will say that these speakers deliver on every front. I couldn't be happier with them.

Now, that is not to say they are perfect or that changes in my system to make them sound even better to my ears aren't required. I think they are, but I can live with that until such time as I am able to implement them. One of them will be easy, and that is a change in phono cartridge. As such, I plan on selling my Ortofon 2M Black and replacing it with a Grado Reference Sonata. Yes, I am going back to Grado....their lush midrange is a strength the Ortofon doesn't project for me. Of course, this a purely a personal preference and in no way a condemnation of the fine transducer that the Ortofon is.

Unfortunately, I'm about the change room setups and will almost have to start over again, although perhaps only from the midway point now that I have come this far. I'm looking forward to that change, and if I may project a bit here I would say there will again be an improvement.

So there you have it. I love these beauties.
thanks for the update John.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #23

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman922 View Post
thanks for the update John.
Thanks Tommy,

Once they're in the other room I'll access them again to try and discover what, if any, changes should be made, or that I may want to make. I think the additional space (almost twice as large) is going to help a lot and I can't wait to hear them in action.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:37 AM   #24
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Rd. and Sugden Ave., Arcam Shire

Quote:
Thanks Tommy,

Once they're in the other room I'll access them again to try and discover what, if any, changes should be made, or that I may want to make. I think the additional space (almost twice as large) is going to help a lot and I can't wait to hear them in action.
I think you will finally realize how open they can actually sound and you should be able to make them perform at their best . Looking for at the end result John
Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #25

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
I think you will finally realize how open they can actually sound and you should be able to make them perform at their best . Looking for at the end result John
I think you're right Olivier! They need to breathe, otherwise I can't find out what they're capable of, and I know they are capable of a lot. I have a bad feeling I'm about to embark on more upgrades over time. These speakers scream for high quality components to drive them.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #26

Dec 2007

Quote:
I think you're right Olivier! They need to breathe, otherwise I can't find out what they're capable of, and I know they are capable of a lot. I have a bad feeling I'm about to embark on more upgrades over time. These speakers scream for high quality components to drive them.
Yes, from my experience with old school Infinity, the Genesis are created in the same vein...only better, and they love room to breathe!!!!!
Old 04-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #27

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Yes, from my experience with old school Infinity, the Genesis are created in the same vein...only better, and they love room to breathe!!!!!
And I can't wait to have them set up in the new larger space. Some of the boys will be over for a GTG after I've had a few days to position them properly and make whatever adjustments I feel I need to make to the bass/treble trim levels on the back of the speakers.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #28

Jul 2007

Well, for the first time since I've had the G7.1f's I was able to stretch their legs yesterday. And I'm very, very optimistic in that I'll be able to fine-tune their placement and setup with wonderful results. It is still going to be somewhat of an on-going process as room changes are also being implemented. It's almost like every time I make a change I need to go back to the starting point, and that fine with me.....but it's taking too long for my liking! Of course, that's not the speakers' fault.

I was advised to lower the spikes on the outriggers to the point where they just clear the floor. So an eighth or a quarter of an inch maximum. I'll do a precise setup on that today. I'm also going to bring the controls on the back to their neutral or flat position and go from there. I think I will keep those settings for at least a week of some serious listening.

I'm really having a lot of fun doing all of this, and I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:52 AM   #29
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
florida

Quote:
Well, for the first time since I've had the G7.1f's I was able to stretch their legs yesterday. And I'm very, very optimistic in that I'll be able to fine-tune their placement and setup with wonderful results. It is still going to be somewhat of an on-going process as room changes are also being implemented. It's almost like every time I make a change I need to go back to the starting point, and that fine with me.....but it's taking too long for my liking! Of course, that's not the speakers' fault.

I was advised to lower the spikes on the outriggers to the point where they just clear the floor. So an eighth or a quarter of an inch maximum. I'll do a precise setup on that today. I'm also going to bring the controls on the back to their neutral or flat position and go from there. I think I will keep those settings for at least a week of some serious listening.

I'm really having a lot of fun doing all of this, and I'll keep you posted.
its kind of like you got another new set of speakers just by moving them, that's pretty cool!! time to hear the new hendrix on vinyl over them
Old 05-31-2013, 08:05 PM   #30

May 2013
Devonshire UK.
United Kingdom

Just sold my Zingali Prelude 2 speakers in favour of a pair of Genesis G7.2p monitors and I am like a kid on Christmas eve waiting for Santa to arrive. Never had Genesis speakers before so am I in for as big a treat as I`m expecting?
Old 06-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #31

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy UK View Post
Just sold my Zingali Prelude 2 speakers in favour of a pair of Genesis G7.2p monitors and I am like a kid on Christmas eve waiting for Santa to arrive. Never had Genesis speakers before so am I in for as big a treat as I`m expecting?
Welcome Biggy UK to the Genesis family. I have not heard the 7.2p, but did listen to the 7.1p and came away sufficiently impressed. Wonderful tonal balance and a lot of oomph for their size!

When are they expected to arrive?
Old 06-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #32

Dec 2007

Welcome Biggy UK!!!! Johnny, you are no longer alone !!!
Old 06-01-2013, 04:44 PM   #33

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Welcome Biggy UK!!!! Johnny, you are no longer alone !!!
I see that!

Looks like I was there one time before as well!

It seems like I'm a trendsetter! LOL!
Old 06-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #34
Contributor

Apr 2009

JohnGlad to find out you are no loger alone

Funny enough not much longer after you sold your Sttaf, another John (Spurrier Sucks) went the Totem route so I am not alone either and tinshiz is also participating.

Now i want to try some Genesis Speakers
Old 06-01-2013, 07:05 PM   #35

Jul 2007

Quote:
JohnGlad to find out you are no loger alone

Funny enough not much longer after you sold your Sttaf, another John (Spurrier Sucks) went the Totem route so I am not alone either and tinshiz is also participating.

Now i want to try some Genesis Speakers
I don't think you do, but yes, you should have a listen one day if you get the chance. If the deal I got on my G7.1f's hadn't come up I'd still be rocking Totems and perhaps your new Forest Sigs as well. I love Totem speakers for their ability to convey a level of warmth that few speakers can match (IMO).

The G7.1f's are different...very different, but their sound really suits Progressive Rock and symphonics. Their detail is mindboggling.

And although it's said they are very comfortable in various rooms and sizes thereof, they are also finicky and need a lot of attention to placement.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #36
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
I don't think you do, but yes, you should have a listen one day if you get the chance. If the deal I got on my G7.1f's hadn't come up I'd still be rocking Totems and perhaps your new Forest Sigs as well. I love Totem speakers for their ability to convey a level of warmth that few speakers can match (IMO).

The G7.1f's are different...very different, but their sound really suits Progressive Rock and symphonics. Their detail is mindboggling.

And although it's said they are very comfortable in various rooms and sizes thereof, they are also finicky and need a lot of attention to placement.
It does not matter John i like different speaker often for different reasons, Totems are not as picky on placement as Vince says they can work in various positions and situations but there is always a spot where they perform their best, the Mani-2 is probably the pickiest of all Totems if not the pickiest. Arros and dreamcathers are not so picky on placement but close to a wall is where they perform at their best.

The Gensis must like a well treated room and I am sure they can deliever fantastic vocals and great piano a nd bass drums reproduction.

I have come to appreciate speakers for their strenghts but for me listening to many styles of music i nedded some sort of versatility, warmth and involvement into the music and the Forest gives me just that. Now the Signature is more open, the seperation is better and the lows are more precise but all in all the speaker did not lose anything of it's character.

I can't wait to have them in my living room. It should be fun.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #37

Jul 2007

Quote:
It does not matter John i like different speaker often for different reasons, Totems are not as picky on placement as Vince says they can work in various positions and situations but there is always a spot where they perform their best, the Mani-2 is probably the pickiest of all Totems if not the pickiest. Arros and dreamcathers are not so picky on placement but close to a wall is where they perform at their best.

The Gensis must like a well treated room and I am sure they can deliever fantastic vocals and great piano a nd bass drums reproduction.

I have come to appreciate speakers for their strenghts but for me listening to many styles of music i nedded some sort of versatility, warmth and involvement into the music and the Forest gives me just that. Now the Signature is more open, the seperation is better and the lows are more precise but all in all the speaker did not lose anything of it's character.

I can't wait to have them in my living room. It should be fun.
I'm not sure if the Genesis' like a well-treated room or not, but in my case they do. And that is because of the sound I like to hear. There are other variables as well, none-the-least of which is my Ortofon 2M Black cartridge, which is highly resolving. Much like you are anxious to recieve the new Forest Sigs, I am anxious to get to acoustic treatment in place.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #38
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
I'm not sure if the Genesis' like a well-treated room or not, but in my case they do. And that is because of the sound I like to hear. There are other variables as well, none-the-least of which is my Ortofon 2M Black cartridge, which is highly resolving. Much like you are anxious to recieve the new Forest Sigs, I am anxious to get to acoustic treatment in place.
I think a treated room is an asset to any speakers and i am sure you will like it.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #39

Jul 2007

I have been told that bass traps are likely not to be needed in my room.

Quote:
With so much openness in your room, bass traps are unlikely to be needed. You have to remember that Genesis speakers allow you to tune the bass gain (in the more expensive speakers also the low-pass frequency) so you can reduce bass output if necessary. Bass traps are really needed when you have ported speakers and large woofers that cannot be controlled.
Not sure what to do now.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:23 AM   #40
Contributor

Apr 2009

Quote:
I have been told that bass traps are likely not to be needed in my room.

Not sure what to do now.
I understand you have a wofer that is amplified on them and I knwow the Genesis are quality speaker that retail high but regardless I think it's a plus, what if you changed speakers down the road?

I mean they would not be a waste but As I said the 4 inch thick panels also do a great job with bass.

Bass start by eliminating main points of reflection and back wall reflection, use 4 inch think begind the speakers and 2 inches in the main reflection points, see how that goes and if you feel it's necessary than order the bass traps.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers