Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Three Colors 4K (Blu-ray)
$87.49
14 hrs ago
Plane 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.07
22 hrs ago
Westworld: Season Four 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.49
4 hrs ago
Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99

The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$80.99

Spoiler Alert (Blu-ray)
$22.96
15 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Shazam! 4K (Blu-ray)
$13.99
1 day ago
Three Thousand Years of Longing (Blu-ray)
$16.09
12 hrs ago
Heart of Dragon (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Halloween Ends (Blu-ray)
$17.96
6 hrs ago
Nobody (Blu-ray)
$6.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 07-21-2014, 05:39 PM   #121

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpatt View Post
Nice. It's funny that he mentioned that they were "very Watt/Puppy-esque". I was thinking Wilsons when I first saw the picture.
I thought the same thing when I first heard them a few years back at the TAVES show in Toronto. I pretty much agree completely with this review.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:39 PM   #122

Dec 2007

Genesis has always made some very nice (and expensive) speakers - however - they put the quality in, so it's worth every penny!!! Gary (Genesis) seems to be very proactive with people that purchase his speakers!
Old 07-21-2014, 05:45 PM   #123

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Genesis has always made some very nice (and expensive) speakers - however - they put the quality in, so it's worth every penny!!! Gary (Genesis) seems to be very proactive with people that purchase his speakers!
I'll second that from personal experience. And it doesn't matter if you purchase the entry-level G7.1p (bookshelf) or the G1.2 Dragon.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:09 AM   #124

Jul 2007
Default Received a Special Invitation from Gary!

I have been invited to a private dinner party on Friday September 19 at the home of a Genesis owner in Toronto who just upgraded his speaker system from the Genesis 1.1 to the Genesis 1.2. Gary will be doing the final setup for this USD $300,000 4-column speaker system. I have never had the opportunity to hear this system, so I am absolutely pumped!

I will be taking pics and maybe some audio as well.
Thanks given by:
HedgeHog (08-22-2014)
Old 08-22-2014, 01:34 AM   #125
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
I have been invited to a private dinner party on Friday September 19 at the home of a Genesis owner in Toronto who just upgraded his speaker system from the Genesis 1.1 to the Genesis 1.2. Gary will be doing the final setup for this USD $300,000 4-column speaker system. I have never had the opportunity to hear this system, so I am absolutely pumped!

I will be taking pics and maybe some audio as well.
Man that would be so cool to sit down in front of these speakers

Old 08-22-2014, 01:47 AM   #126

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post
Man that would be so cool to sit down in front of these speakers

Thanks for posting that pic AL!

It's a pretty rare opportunity as he doesn't showcase them on the N.A. audio show circuit and there are only a few dealers that actually have a pair for audition (I think). I'd probably never hear them if it weren't for this invite. Gary does a personal setup/tweak with every system he sells.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #127
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
NOLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
I wrote this on my Facebook page.
Hey John.

I just ran across this thread today
[Show spoiler]yeah, I missed it
and after scrolling through it, I found this post.

Now that you've moved cross country and have a very different sound environment, I was wondering how the sound of the Genesis has been affected? Also, you mentioned in your FB post that moving into a larger room was key to improving their sound, but you never mentioned what size rooms you went from and to.

I'm just curious as I was looking at the new 7's on the Genesis website and just finished reading the 6Moons review (although it was back from 2009).

Not sure I like the 8 grand price tag (unless they're even more expensive now).
Old 07-18-2015, 06:09 PM   #128

Jul 2010

Wow, I don't know how I missed this thread all these years.

I am a member of the Genesis speaker club. I have a 6.1 series system in my theater, with the 6.1 mains, 2 pairs of 6.1sr surrounds, a 6.1c center, a G-928 sub for the LFE and two of the SR-2/10t subs for left/right subs.

Pics of the install are in my gallery, but the speakers are hidden. I will see if I can dig up a photo of the speakers exposed in my old install thread. I do recall jokingly telling Gary Koh that I might be the only person to ever get into his 6.1 series as a downgrade. Below is the system I had prior and I regret selling every single day (that is 10+ years of regrets now)!!

Yes, those are the big IRS V for the mains. I had an IRV Gamma on its side as a center channel and two pairs of IRS Betas for surrounds. The old system was an absolute monster.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #129

Jul 2010

I found one old image of the surrounds when I had just one pair of the IRS Betas hooked up.
Thanks given by:
Johnny Vinyl (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 06:29 PM   #130

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
Hey John.

I just ran across this thread today
[Show spoiler]yeah, I missed it
and after scrolling through it, I found this post.

Now that you've moved cross country and have a very different sound environment, I was wondering how the sound of the Genesis has been affected? Also, you mentioned in your FB post that moving into a larger room was key to improving their sound, but you never mentioned what size rooms you went from and to.

I'm just curious as I was looking at the new 7's on the Genesis website and just finished reading the 6Moons review (although it was back from 2009).

Not sure I like the 8 grand price tag (unless they're even more expensive now).
At the time I had moved from a very small 10x11ft room into an 11x18ft room and the difference was clearly evident. I was able to open them up and let them breathe. They did work nicely in the smaller room, but I couldn't take advantage of what they had to offer. I've since moved again (Calgary) and I'm in an unfinished basement space which is roughly 11x15, but is halfway open to one side. It feels a bit restricted though and I feel the G7s do much better in a larger room. I'm not complaining mind you, just stating that they would be served served in a larger space.

I believe the G7.2f's are considerably more expensive now. I wanna say at least 12G's, but don't quote me. My G7.1f's have the upgraded 7.2 tweeters.
Thanks given by:
FreddieFerric (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 06:33 PM   #131

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Poindexter View Post
Wow, I don't know how I missed this thread all these years.

I am a member of the Genesis speaker club. I have a 6.1 series system in my theater, with the 6.1 mains, 2 pairs of 6.1sr surrounds, a 6.1c center, a G-928 sub for the LFE and two of the SR-2/10t subs for left/right subs.

Pics of the install are in my gallery, but the speakers are hidden. I will see if I can dig up a photo of the speakers exposed in my old install thread. I do recall jokingly telling Gary Koh that I might be the only person to ever get into his 6.1 series as a downgrade. Below is the system I had prior and I regret selling every single day (that is 10+ years of regrets now)!!

Yes, those are the big IRS V for the mains. I had an IRV Gamma on its side as a center channel and two pairs of IRS Betas for surrounds. The old system was an absolute monster.
Hi Mr. P! Nice to see you again! Are you referring to the FB Genesis Owner's Club page? I haven't been on FB for about a month, but I should check in.

Those IRS V's are just stunning. How do you like the 6.1 setup you have?
Old 08-23-2015, 07:42 PM   #132

Jul 2010

I like the 6.1's but they just don't really move me like the IRS V system did. I regret selling them every day and still miss them, 10 years after they are gone.

I sold them figuring I would start with a blank slate for my theater and go all out for film and had I still owned the IRS speakers, I would have made compromises to work around them. I suspect had I kept them, my system would not look anything at all like it does now, but it would have sounded magical in a way that it just can't really do now. Don't get me wrong, for theater it is amazing, but musically I am not impressed at all because I still remember how much better it used to sound in my old house pictured above.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:55 PM   #133

Dec 2007

Quote:
I like the 6.1's but they just don't really move me like the IRS V system did. I regret selling them every day and still miss them, 10 years after they are gone.

I sold them figuring I would start with a blank slate for my theater and go all out for film and had I still owned the IRS speakers, I would have made compromises to work around them. I suspect had I kept them, my system would not look anything at all like it does now, but it would have sounded magical in a way that it just can't really do now. Don't get me wrong, for theater it is amazing, but musically I am not impressed at all because I still remember how much better it used to sound in my old house pictured above.
Very few things can move any one like the IRS V system!!!!! Even in the late '80's and early 90's I considered the IRS V's an end game speaker system....and Betas for rears? I would have paid admission to hear that system !!!!!
Old 11-03-2022, 01:08 AM   #134

Jul 2010

No discussion here for 7 years? Not a good sign.

I am upgrading my system. Keeping the Genesis, but adding 6 more speakers to the mix. I got another pair of 6.1sr for front wide and found one pair of IM 8300's for the first of 2 sets of height channels. I have seen a couple more pairs around but shipping is problematic. I was fortunate enough to have a friend in Canada that could pick up a pair for me and will drive them down to me in a few months. Eventually will be running 9.4 for the audio and not sure if I want to spring for the Anthem processor but if I do, I can run 4 discrete LFE channels for 9.4.4 which is about all I can really fit in my room.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:28 PM   #135

Dec 2007

Quote:
No discussion here for 7 years? Not a good sign.

I am upgrading my system. Keeping the Genesis, but adding 6 more speakers to the mix. I got another pair of 6.1sr for front wide and found one pair of IM 8300's for the first of 2 sets of height channels. I have seen a couple more pairs around but shipping is problematic. I was fortunate enough to have a friend in Canada that could pick up a pair for me and will drive them down to me in a few months. Eventually will be running 9.4 for the audio and not sure if I want to spring for the Anthem processor but if I do, I can run 4 discrete LFE channels for 9.4.4 which is about all I can really fit in my room.
That sounds HOT!!!!! Very nice indeed!!!! Yeah...I think Facebook has overtaken the web for interaction. I've talked to quite a few members who have migrated to phone/video based social media.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers