Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Batman 4 Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

DC 7-Film Collection (iTunes)
$49.99

Batman 80th Anniversary Collection (iTunes)
$39.99

Iron Man (iTunes)
$7.99

Dexter, The Complete Series (iTunes)
$29.99

Doctor Strange (iTunes)
$7.99

The Dark Knight Trilogy (iTunes)
$19.99

Avengers: Endgame (iTunes)
$7.99

Guardians of the Galaxy (iTunes)
$7.99

Justice League / Batman v Superman (iTunes)
$19.99

Ant-Man (iTunes)
$7.99

Avengers: Infinity War (iTunes)
$7.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 02-18-2021, 06:33 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013
Default PSA: Watching Prime Video in HD vs. 1080p HD

Not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but Amazon Prime limits your playback quality dependent on the browser/app you use.

Now if you are using like a Roku, FireStick, Chromecast etc you should just get whatever the best quality you can handle. (1080p,4K etc)

But if you are on iOS, Mobile or PC you need to be using the right browser otherwise your video quality will be throttled.

I noticed this when using the Prime Video App to stream one of their shows. I was getting tired of the video quality constantly degrading to like 240p when I have like 400 Mbps Down. Even without this issue their own app caps out at 720p!? Which is HD, but I know my network can handle better.

If you use safari or edge on your device you will see that the HD badge at bottom should quickly transition over to a HD 1080p Badge. Personally I have also noticed that the video quality consistently remains at HD or 1080p, versus the app which constantly fluctuates 240p-720p for me. I have never been able to achieve 1080p with the official app on mobile only via the browser. If you use other browsers the cap is again the 720p HD.

Tested:
Safari iOS 1080p
Safari PC 1080p
Edge PC 1080p

I have not tested chrome on Android, if someone else can or try the edge browser app on Android and get back to confirm.

Also oddly enough, it seems to cap out at 720p even on these browsers for stuff you own versus stuff you get via Prime Video, not 100% certain but something I have seen so far. Still shows 1080p,4K on the streaming sticks etc.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:54 PM   #2
Power Member

Mar 2012

Yes most browsers were capped down to SD for streaming recently due to DRM security issues.
Old 02-18-2021, 07:09 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannibaliztik View Post
Yes most browsers were capped down to SD for streaming recently due to DRM security issues.
I mean DRM aside why can't their own official app stream at 1080p?!
Old 02-18-2021, 08:07 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfett9 View Post
I noticed this when using the Prime Video App to stream one of their shows. I was getting tired of the video quality constantly degrading to like 240p when I have like 400 Mbps Down. Even without this issue their own app caps out at 720p!?
Yes, the app (at least on iOS) was always limited to 720p. I don't know why. I can kind of understand whey they are doing this on phones with their tiny screens, but it's the same on iPads, where you can easily see the difference.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies