Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

10 Cloverfield Lane 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
1 day ago
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

G.I. Joe: Retaliation 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Final Countdown 4K (Blu-ray)
$47.99

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Phantom of the Opera (Blu-ray)
$13.55
1 day ago
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 day ago
Whisper of the Heart (Blu-ray)
$14.98
12 hrs ago
300 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 01-27-2021, 03:12 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

May 2010
The Great Indoors
Question No "Official SVS speaker" thread?

Just curious as to why there's no official SVS speaker thread around these here parts?
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 04:59 PM   #2
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

Thanks for stating the Official SVS Speaker thread! Love all of SVS sub woofers and speakers.
Thanks given by:
Panson (03-10-2021), prerich (02-11-2021), RageATL (01-27-2021)
Old 01-27-2021, 05:09 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

May 2010
The Great Indoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
Thanks for stating the Official SVS Speaker thread! Love all of SVS sub woofers and speakers.
Haha, thanks, Robert!

I was just surprised considering hwo it seems we have a thread for everything else around here. I am currently anxioulsy awaiting delivery of my new Ultra Towers and was looking for other people's experiences, opinions, etc.
Old 01-28-2021, 12:33 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2009
Woodstock Georgia

There is an old thread here, but the last update was a decade ago....

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=98257
Thanks given by:
RageATL (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 12:48 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

May 2010
The Great Indoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyslide View Post
There is an old thread here, but the last update was a decade ago....

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=98257
Oh wow, thanks! That thread didn't come up in my search.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:14 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Albuquerque, NM

My totally unprofessional impressions on SVS Speakers. I am not a professional reviewer, but I was a professional recording engineer for 10 years or so and do appreciate fine audio.

I bought a pair of SVS Prime Pinnacles and an Ultra Center Channel and have had them for about 3 weeks now.

I absolutely love the Pinnacles. Great sounding speakers for both music and movies. I can't compare them to much else as I have been living with an old pair of Acoustic Research towers for about 20 years but I am happy to finally retire those.

I had tried replacing them with some Polks (don't remember the model) and some Andrew Jones towers, but was not satisfied with either of those and returned them.

The Pinnacles are wonderful and give me great sound from my Denon AVR-X3300W receiver (105 watts per channel).

There are a ton of reviews on the Pinnacles out there and I would say I agree with all of the positives.

I am also very impressed with the sound of the Ultra Center. It is a true three way center and movie dialog sounds excellent. But the thing that really makes me happy about the Ultra is how great it is for listening to 5.1 music. My old Polk was pretty good but there were a few 5.1 discs where it just didn't sound right. Norah Jones' Come Away With Me SACD has the vocal and stand up bass mixed in the center channel and the bass just never sounded good before on my old Polk. It always bothered me. With the Ultra it is no longer an issue. The stand up sounds like it is right in front of me with a full-bodied low end and warmth that was always missing before.

I could go on and on about the Pinnacles but like I said, there are a ton of reviews for these out there already, and written by better reviewers. Go check them out. I'm glad I did.

https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-pinnacle
Thanks given by:
Panson (03-10-2021), RageATL (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 09:13 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

May 2010
The Great Indoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzo29 View Post
My totally unprofessional impressions on SVS Speakers. I am not a professional reviewer, but I was a professional recording engineer for 10 years or so and do appreciate fine audio.

I bought a pair of SVS Prime Pinnacles and an Ultra Center Channel and have had them for about 3 weeks now.

I absolutely love the Pinnacles. Great sounding speakers for both music and movies. I can't compare them to much else as I have been living with an old pair of Acoustic Research towers for about 20 years but I am happy to finally retire those.

I had tried replacing them with some Polks (don't remember the model) and some Andrew Jones towers, but was not satisfied with either of those and returned them.

The Pinnacles are wonderful and give me great sound from my Denon AVR-X3300W receiver (105 watts per channel).

There are a ton of reviews on the Pinnacles out there and I would say I agree with all of the positives.

I am also very impressed with the sound of the Ultra Center. It is a true three way center and movie dialog sounds excellent. But the thing that really makes me happy about the Ultra is how great it is for listening to 5.1 music. My old Polk was pretty good but there were a few 5.1 discs where it just didn't sound right. Norah Jones' Come Away With Me SACD has the vocal and stand up bass mixed in the center channel and the bass just never sounded good before on my old Polk. It always bothered me. With the Ultra it is no longer an issue. The stand up sounds like it is right in front of me with a full-bodied low end and warmth that was always missing before.

I could go on and on about the Pinnacles but like I said, there are a ton of reviews for these out there already, and written by better reviewers. Go check them out. I'm glad I did.

https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-pinnacle
Glad to hear you're happy with the Pinnacles and C O N G R A T S!!! They were actually on my short list of speakers to check out when replacing my 15-year old + Infinity Alpha 50 towers. Nothing remotely wrong with my old speakers and I love them dearly, but they don't remotely go with the color scheme in our new home so the wifey asked if we could replace them. I mean, who am I to argue with her???

Anyway, I was seriously considering the Pinnacles based on all of the fantastic reviews, but since I have a fairly large two-story great room with plenty of floor space to eat up, I decided to go with the larger Ultra towers to fill the room with quality sound.
Thanks given by:
Panson (03-10-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 10:51 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
Glad to hear you're happy with the Pinnacles and C O N G R A T S!!! They were actually on my short list of speakers to check out when replacing my 15-year old + Infinity Alpha 50 towers. Nothing remotely wrong with my old speakers and I love them dearly, but they don't remotely go with the color scheme in our new home so the wifey asked if we could replace them. I mean, who am I to argue with her???

Anyway, I was seriously considering the Pinnacles based on all of the fantastic reviews, but since I have a fairly large two-story great room with plenty of floor space to eat up, I decided to go with the larger Ultra towers to fill the room with quality sound.
The Ultras have got to be awesome! I just don't really have the space they require in my living room.
Thanks given by:
RageATL (02-05-2021)
Old 02-05-2021, 03:47 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

May 2010
The Great Indoors

Quote:
The Ultras have got to be awesome! I just don't really have the space they require in my living room.
I suspect they're still breaking in as I've not had them all that long and the SVS stated something like 30-40 hours of so, but yes they've been really fun to listen to.

Yeah and I get that, but I have the room and after the explanation of just how large they are, the wifey didn't seem to mind so I shot for the Moon, haha.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:47 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
I suspect they're still breaking in as I've not had them all that long and the SVS stated something like 30-40 hours of so, but yes they've been really fun to listen to.

Yeah and I get that, but I have the room and after the explanation of just how large they are, the wifey didn't seem to mind so I shot for the Moon, haha.
It's good to have a wife that understands our needs. Mine is now all on board with getting SVS surrounds/Atmos speakers as well as two SVS Subs.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:31 PM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

May 2010
The Great Indoors

Quote:
It's good to have a wife that understands our needs. Mine is now all on board with getting SVS surrounds/Atmos speakers as well as two SVS Subs.
It sure is! Oh wow, nicely done!

I still have some cleaning up to do and some more moving around, but here's how the living room system looks for now with the Ultras and two SVS subs:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Living Room HT.jpg (83.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by RageATL; 02-05-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Thanks given by:
donzo29 (02-10-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 08:12 AM   #12
Special Member

Feb 2014
Michigan

got a pair of their prime bookshelfs on saturday. these things are huge compared to my over decade old sony bookshelfs that i had been using. i went ahead and order the prime center and a pair of prime satellites as well, they should be here tomorrow or wednesday.
Thanks given by:
donzo29 (03-11-2021), RageATL (03-01-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 11:18 AM   #13
Special Member

Feb 2014
Michigan

I got the whole set in, yesterday, here are some photos!

[Show spoiler]
SVS Prime Bookshelf

Prime Bookshelf v my old Sony SS-MB150H

Prime Center v Sony SS-CN5000

Prime Satellites

Prime Satellites v Sony SS-MB150H
Thanks given by:
donzo29 (03-11-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 01:01 PM   #14
Blu-ray Knight

May 2010
The Great Indoors

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlCtrlFast View Post
I got the whole set in, yesterday, here are some photos!
Very cool, good luck with them! If you don't mind, please post your impressions once everything's connected, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I might need to consider the same center you bought. I'm currently using an Infinity center that matches the fronts I had in the living room before my Ultras arrived and while it still sounds great of course, it'd kinda be nice for the set to match both aesthetically and aurally.
Old 03-04-2021, 02:54 PM   #15
Special Member

Feb 2014
Michigan

Quote:
Very cool, good luck with them! If you don't mind, please post your impressions once everything's connected, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I might need to consider the same center you bought. I'm currently using an Infinity center that matches the fronts I had in the living room before my Ultras arrived and while it still sounds great of course, it'd kinda be nice for the set to match both aesthetically and aurally.
I got them setup yesterday, took about an hour. My wife and I spent some time watching prime time sitcoms last night. The Prime Center sounded great! Everything was clear and precise, even at the same db setting in my Denon AVR but at lower volume levels. It did seem like there might of been some issues with the audio balancing during the programs but that was likely due to my provider, not the speakers, as the wife claims it was an issue before the new svs.
Thanks given by:
RageATL (03-08-2021)
Old 03-11-2021, 04:21 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Albuquerque, NM

Answering a question here for Panson as I am unable to reply to his question via PM.

Panson asked "May I ask a question about your choice of center--Ultra vs. Prime. Was it to match piano gloss? Or did you just want more beef?"

The answer is that I wanted more beef. Also, the Ultra Center is available in both the Piano Gloss and the Black Ash finishes.
Thanks given by:
Panson (03-13-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 04:23 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Albuquerque, NM

I have been living with the SVS Prime Pinnacles and Ultra Center for a little bit now and I just can't say anything bad about them. My wife likes them so much that we have now ordered an SB-3000 and 2 pairs of the Prime Elevation speakers. I cannot wait to hook them up. I am really looking forward to replacing my 20 year old Polk FXi A4 surrounds, even if I have to go into the attic to move some wires around. We will be going from 5.1 to 7.2.

This will also be the first time running two subs for me. My budget BIC F-12 is okay but I know that the 3000 will really fill out the bottom end. We will see if the BIC is any help at all once I get things tweaked to my liking.

I will be using the Elevation speakers as side and rear surrounds. I'll post my thoughts here on those in a week or two.
Thanks given by:
Panson (04-26-2021), RageATL (03-19-2021), Scarriere (03-19-2021)
Old 04-26-2021, 04:54 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Albuquerque, NM

I have now been living with the SVS SB 3000 sub and 4 of the Prime Elevations for a month or so.

The Prime Elevations are a great surround solution. They match/blend beautifully with the Prime Pinnacles and Ultra Center. Only (very small) issue is that they only go down to about 55 Hz (according to SVS) so I would not recommend them for main speakers without using a sub, but for surrounds they are great.

As for the SB 3000, all I can say is YES! So much bass at my fingertips. Adding the 3000 to my system has changed my life.

My old BIC F-12 had been a constant battle to find balance. I would either not be able to hear it all or it would be overpowering during some scenes in movies. Now, with the dual set up (and more likely just because of the SVS SB 3000) I have deep, audible bass at just about any volume while watching movies. And this thing is awesome for music. Tight, responsive, authoritative bass. I have not even had to mess around with any placement changes or EQ since running Audyssey on my Denon.

Even my wife noticed the improvements. Right after we get the Sub hooked up we watched an episode of Falcon and the Winter Soldier with a scene in a night club with thumping dance music. Her exact words were "Holy Shit!". And while watching movies in 7.1 with stuff coming from the back she responded with "Now that's cool". And not once has she asked me to turn it down.

So in short, I highly recommend the SVS speaker line. I have never been more happy with my home theater sound for both movies and music.
Thanks given by:
Panson (04-26-2021), RageATL (04-26-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers