Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Glass (iTunes)
$4.99
1 day ago
Unbreakable (iTunes)
$4.99

Jurassic Park (iTunes)
$4.99

Kingsman: The Secret Service (iTunes)
$4.99

Do the Right Thing (iTunes)
$4.99

The Hateful Eight (iTunes)
$4.99

Die Hard with a Vengeance (iTunes)
$4.99

Kingsman 2 Movie Collection (iTunes)
$19.98
1 day ago
DC 7-Film Collection (iTunes)
$49.99

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (iTunes)
$7.99

Frozen II (iTunes)
$9.99

Top Gun (iTunes)
$7.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 04-11-2021, 11:17 PM   #101
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWgrayhawk View Post
??? Then why are people complaining that they got downgraded from HDX to SD? What am I missing?
You are missing the date on which MA started enforcing the SD redeem is SD rule, November 14, 2017

https://help.moviesanywhere.com/hc/e...definition-SD-
Thanks given by:
JWgrayhawk (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 11:45 PM   #102

Jul 2011
Default Sudden HD downgrade to SD

All my others have been fixed back to HD
with the exception of four:

*Little Fockers
*The Dilemma
*The Adjustment Bureau
*Scott Pilgrim Vs World
Old 04-11-2021, 11:57 PM   #103

Nov 2010
Charlottesville VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbloggs View Post
You are missing the date on which MA started enforcing the SD redeem is SD rule, November 14, 2017

https://help.moviesanywhere.com/hc/e...definition-SD-
OK- thanks. That explains it. Funny though that Itunes will upgrade HD titles to UHD but not SD to HD...
Old 04-12-2021, 12:02 AM   #104

Jul 2011
Send a message via AIM to Bob Schlapowitz Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Schlapowitz

I'm having a Vudu problem and maybe one of you can help! I have a Roku Ultra 2020 and anytime I try to watch any movie in UHD the sound is out of sync. I'm using a Yamaha YAS209 soundbar and an LG 70um6970pua TV. HDX movies play just fine but UHD ones seem like a badly dubbed monster movie. It's only the Vudu app on my Roku that does this....the Vudu app built into the TV works just fine. I'm very confused by this.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:21 AM   #105
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Schlapowitz View Post
I'm having a Vudu problem and maybe one of you can help! I have a Roku Ultra 2020 and anytime I try to watch any movie in UHD the sound is out of sync. I'm using a Yamaha YAS209 soundbar and an LG 70um6970pua TV. HDX movies play just fine but UHD ones seem like a badly dubbed monster movie. It's only the Vudu app on my Roku that does this....the Vudu app built into the TV works just fine. I'm very confused by this.
It's not unusual. I run my Ultra through a player (an Oppo 205). That player has the option to change the sync, add or subtract in increments of 10 Milliseconds. Depending on the 4K movie I am playing, I usually have to add 30 to 60 milliseconds. Mine is called A/V Sync, so see if you have anything like that as an option in your soundbar. Not sure you would, hopefully it does.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:01 AM   #106
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2011
Houston, TX

Quote:
I've found that slightly rewinding the film by a few seconds will usually fix the out of sync audio. When it's happened to be it's been intermitent, not constant. It may also help to upgrade your internet speed (when I upgraded we actually paid less than before due to changing marketplace).
Thanks given by:
crackedknee (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 05:47 AM   #107
Special Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWgrayhawk View Post
OK- thanks. That explains it. Funny though that Itunes will upgrade HD titles to UHD but not SD to HD...
Thatís because they sell two options at different prices, SD and Higher Quality.
The only reason for the HD to UHD upgrade is because the studios wouldnít allow the consumer to download and keep the UHD so Apple argued that if we canít download UHD and itís streaming only then they canít charge any more than the maximum PQ that we are allowed to download and upon a HD purchase you are entitled to the UHD at no extra cost.
Thanks given by:
JWgrayhawk (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 01:22 PM   #108

Aug 2013

Quick question:Has anyone purchased a VUDU title that is either a bad print or the wrong aspect ratio in one of the formats? I purchased the Warner title " Silk Stockings" a while back. Finally getting around to watching it and find that it is an old pan & scan print, like watching it on TV in the 1970's. I called them and was told that the quality wasn't the greatest (!) and it was a final sale because I waited 3 months. Elevated it and got no credit for another title. It's not the dollar amount that matters, but seems like there is no one who previews prints sometimes. There are a few 1940's titles that are stretched into 16 x 9, but that you can watch on another service. But not this one. any thoughts?
Old 04-12-2021, 01:49 PM   #109
Power Member

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkoradioman View Post
Quick question:Has anyone purchased a VUDU title that is either a bad print or the wrong aspect ratio in one of the formats? I purchased the Warner title " Silk Stockings" a while back. Finally getting around to watching it and find that it is an old pan & scan print, like watching it on TV in the 1970's. I called them and was told that the quality wasn't the greatest (!) and it was a final sale because I waited 3 months. Elevated it and got no credit for another title. It's not the dollar amount that matters, but seems like there is no one who previews prints sometimes. There are a few 1940's titles that are stretched into 16 x 9, but that you can watch on another service. But not this one. any thoughts?
Vudu has the most incorrect aspect ratios out there, all they will tell you is that's what the studio gave them. I gave up trying to contact them about it.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:44 AM   #110
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2014

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannibaliztik View Post
Vudu has the most incorrect aspect ratios out there, all they will tell you is that's what the studio gave them. I gave up trying to contact them about it.
There is a thread about the incorrect aspect ratios:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=228440

I just bumped that thread. On page 7 I have a small list of movies that I own, that have the wrong aspect ration in Vudu, but I indicate where they play correctly (which is most any other service). That list needs updating, which I will do soon, and post again on the last page.

Anyway, I recently saw an old version of Vudu from circa 8 years ago. "Biggest HD library" was their advertising tagline.

When Vudu was started, to attain that status of Biggest/Most (which was/is true), Vudu obtained any scan it could get, from inception around 2007 boasting 5,000 films. The problem was/is, because of the time frame (2007 to maybe 2013) they obtained a lot of broadcast scans, before they started to be more careful. So a lot of movies (in particular, for some reason, Warner movies) that are cropped/zoomed to 1.78 either right away or after the opening credits (that play in 2.39).

As kannibaliztik points out, if you contact Vudu the canned response the low-level customer service team is instructed to give you, is that "that's what the studio gave us". Which is true to a certain extent, but does not prevent Vudu from obtaining the proper version, which obviously exists, when all other services have that version (e.g. FandangoNow (FN), Amazon, MA, etc). The more likely answer is that Vudu must have to pay for the new, correct version, and they assume it's cheaper to deflect that it is to obtain that proper version.

That said, Vudu will fix an incorrect version from time to time, but are very slow to do so. A lot of the movies that are incorrect in Vudu are correct in FN, so it's a bit worrisome in that regard, as FN is going to be folded into Vudu over the coming months. Will Vudu keep their old, incorrect versions? Or add/replace with the correct FN versions? Or will they just slop it over and we'll get a mix of both?

Last edited by crackedknee; 04-13-2021 at 03:29 AM.
Thanks given by:
SpaceBlackKnight (04-13-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 02:32 AM   #111
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm in the UK. And Vudu seems to be blocking UK PayPal accounts. It allows me to add the account. But I can no longer purchase anything using this account.

Anyone got any work arounds, ideas or know where I can buy Vudu credits?

Thanks
Old 04-14-2021, 10:11 AM   #112
Power Member

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by casperuk View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm in the UK. And Vudu seems to be blocking UK PayPal accounts. It allows me to add the account. But I can no longer purchase anything using this account.

Anyone got any work arounds, ideas or know where I can buy Vudu credits?

Thanks
no workarounds known, they stopped foreign paypals from buying on vudu.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:10 AM   #113

Dec 2016
SC

Quote:
I've had this happen and usually have to restart the Roku, I wish they'd figure it out. It's definitely annoying when it happens.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:38 AM   #114
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

Quote:
no workarounds known, they stopped foreign paypals from buying on vudu.
Happy joy!!!

Do gift cards work without an address. As I cannot even buy on apple
Old 04-14-2021, 12:01 PM   #115

Nov 2017
New Braunfels, TX

Quote:
Same here. They just don't care.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:21 PM   #116
Power Member

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin88 View Post
Same here. They just don't care.
[Show spoiler]

Yep, 30 titles so far in my collection are still incorrect, most are MA and correct in other services though. Vampires is my go to example, on top of the wrong AR, the color grading on the Vudu and googles copies is horrendous, a scene at dusk looks like its in the middle of the day.

Last edited by kannibaliztik; 04-14-2021 at 12:35 PM.
Thanks given by:
Undeadcow (04-15-2021)
Old 04-14-2021, 02:41 PM   #117
Special Member

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
USA

Quote:
Quick question:Has anyone purchased a VUDU title that is either a bad print or the wrong aspect ratio in one of the formats? ......
A HUGE pet peeve of mine and the main reason I won't buy older titles from Vudu. "Hondo" (John Wayne movie) is in 4:3 ratio when its 16:9 on iTunes. "The Tomb Of Ligeia" (old Vincent Price film) is ONLY on Vudu (no other service carries it) and is also a 4:3 ratio print when the Blu-ray disc is 16:9. Both prints appear to be "syndication TV copies" and are simply upconverted SD to their HDX format.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:23 PM   #118

Jan 2008
NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjritter79 View Post
A HUGE pet peeve of mine and the main reason I won't buy older titles from Vudu. "Hondo" (John Wayne movie) is in 4:3 ratio when its 16:9 on iTunes. "The Tomb Of Ligeia" (old Vincent Price film) is ONLY on Vudu (no other service carries it) and is also a 4:3 ratio print when the Blu-ray disc is 16:9. Both prints appear to be "syndication TV copies" and are simply upconverted SD to their HDX format.
Hondo was originally:

Technical Specs

Runtime: 83 min
Sound Mix: Mono (RCA Sound System)
Color: Color (WarnerColor)
Aspect Ratio: 1.37 : 1
Old 04-14-2021, 11:59 PM   #119
Special Member

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat2 View Post
Hondo was originally:

Technical Specs

Runtime: 83 min
Sound Mix: Mono (RCA Sound System)
Color: Color (WarnerColor)
Aspect Ratio: 1.37 : 1
From this website:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/com...the%20negative.

"Hondo appears on Blu-Ray in its original 1.78:1 aspect ratio. This film was originally produced in the Academy aspect ratio of 1.375:1 and soft matted for wide screen release, cutting off portions of the top and bottom of the negative. Previous VHS, laserdisc, and DVD releases of Hondo have presented the film in the Academy aspect ratio. Although the wide screen presentation here is the one intended by the director, I would like to see both versions included in future releases of films that were presented in more than one aspect ratio, if for no other reason than for comparison purposes."

The Blu-ray version was listed as widescreen 1.78:1 which is the digital version I wanted to purchase..AND is the version sold by iTunes.(1.85:1)

Also note blu-ray.com's listing
https://www.blu-ray.com/digital/Hondo-Digital/3159/

Last edited by tjritter79; 04-15-2021 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:27 AM   #120
Power Member

Jul 2018

Is Vudu's 4x3 print of Hondo in HD or upconverted from SD? Hondo was shot in 1.37 but intended to be shown in 1.75 or thereabouts, so ether ratio isn't necessarily a botch job. One of the DVD releases was 1.33 while other recent versions are 1.78 theatrical ratio.

Now if were a different flat widescreen production like say Aliens, which was hard matted to 1.77:1 and Vudu had a 1.33 version of that (as we've had on VHS/LD and old TV broadcasts), then it would be almost pan and scan and a big loss in image (though oddly enough, the VFX shots were shot and finished in a 1.37 ratio, when it was common to hard mask such sections closer to theatrical ratio).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies