Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Glass (iTunes)
$4.99

Unbreakable (iTunes)
$4.99

Jurassic Park (iTunes)
$4.99

Kingsman: The Secret Service (iTunes)
$4.99

Do the Right Thing (iTunes)
$4.99

The Hateful Eight (iTunes)
$4.99

Kingsman 2 Movie Collection (iTunes)
$19.98

Die Hard with a Vengeance (iTunes)
$4.99

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (iTunes)
$7.99

DC 7-Film Collection (iTunes)
$49.99

Frozen II (iTunes)
$9.99

Top Gun (iTunes)
$7.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > Streaming Movies

Old 02-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #41
Banned

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjritter79 View Post
Hey not to beat a "dead horse" but could the discrepancies be because Lgans is in the UK and fiffy is in the states?
So not only do you have file reads from different origins (assuming) but your reads are from separate continents.
Sorry pal. Don't understand your question. Can you please elaborate?
Old 02-12-2021, 06:45 PM   #42
Special Member

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgans316 View Post
Sorry pal. Don't understand your question. Can you please elaborate?
Hmm, I thought it was straight forward, OK.
You-lgans, list a location in the U.K. While fiffy, lists a location in the U.S.

Many of these services use "edge computing" which means identical files are in multiple locations so they can easily be accessed by users. Now JUST in the states, there are complaints like a movie buffers on one service and another plays fine. Others say they rarely have trouble but sometimes they request a 4K movie and the copy they get is HD or worse.

It all depends on the path the requested file takes from its origin to the user. Since we're referring to multiple files from different destinations, it occurred to me that perhaps the variance in both of your measured bit rates is likely different destinations of the origin file and/or the different paths these take.

Many of the servers that stream media files are strictly fiber. Others, depend on transcoding procedures. Amazon offers such a service with AWS
https://aws.amazon.com/elastictranscoder/

If the origin>destination primary is impaired, busy or down, it automatically takes a secondary route. This could result in the reduction of bit rates so that the request arrives "whole" while streaming.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:21 PM   #43
Banned

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Quote:
Hmm, I thought it was straight forward, OK.
You-lgans, list a location in the U.K. While fiffy, lists a location in the U.S.

Many of these services use "edge computing" which means identical files are in multiple locations so they can easily be accessed by users. Now JUST in the states, there are complaints like a movie buffers on one service and another plays fine. Others say they rarely have trouble but sometimes they request a 4K movie and the copy they get is HD or worse.

It all depends on the path the requested file takes from its origin to the user. Since we're referring to multiple files from different destinations, it occurred to me that perhaps the variance in both of your measured bit rates is likely different destinations of the origin file and/or the different paths these take.

Many of the servers that stream media files are strictly fiber. Others, depend on transcoding procedures. Amazon offers such a service with AWS
https://aws.amazon.com/elastictranscoder/

If the origin>destination primary is impaired, busy or down, it automatically takes a secondary route. This could result in the reduction of bit rates so that the request arrives "whole" while streaming.
There is no variance between what both of us measured.
The only title in my list that has different bit rates but from the same Studio is Crawl. The bit rate spreadsheet is owned and maintained by me for the films on my library (US/UK/Canada).

The bit rates are set in stone most of the times. I had measured the same bunch of films many months apart and not a bit has changed.

I do understand what you are saying but so far I haven't experienced any issues due to network latency or being cross border but I did experience buffering issues twice in 6 months but that was due to known server issues in iTunes US which was back up in few hours

Hope I was clear.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:43 PM   #44
Special Member

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
USA

Quote:
There is no variance between what both of us measured.
The only title in my list that has different bit rates but from the same Studio is Crawl. The bit rate spreadsheet is owned and maintained by me for the films on my library (US/UK/Canada).

The bit rates are set in stone most of the times. I had measured the same bunch of films many months apart and not a bit has changed.

I do understand what you are saying but so far I haven't experienced any issues due to network latency or being cross border but I did experience buffering issues twice in 6 months but that was due to known server issues in iTunes US which was back up in few hours

Hope I was clear.
OK, fair enough...
Old 02-13-2021, 06:37 PM   #45
Banned

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Godzilla 2014 iTunes:

Old: 7.11 - 10.79 Mbps HD AVC SDR
New: 7.28 - 11.94 Mbps HD HEVC SDR - looks a tad brighter
Old 02-22-2021, 09:01 PM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

Avengers: Infinity War:
iTunes:
24.38Mbps (Average)
30.82Mbps (Peak)
Movies Anywhere:
25.01Mbps (Average)
27.38Mbps (Peak)
Disney+:
16.77Mbps (Average)
38.06Mbps (Peak)

Is the peak bitrate listed above for D+ a typo?
Old 02-23-2021, 07:31 AM   #47
Banned

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gordon View Post
Avengers: Infinity War:
iTunes:
24.38Mbps (Average)
30.82Mbps (Peak)
Movies Anywhere:
25.01Mbps (Average)
27.38Mbps (Peak)
Disney+:
16.77Mbps (Average)
38.06Mbps (Peak)

Is the peak bitrate listed above for D+ a typo?
Nope. Not a typo. Some D+ and Vudu streams touch 38 Mbps but overall quality is slightly better on iTunes/MA due to higher average bit rates.
Thanks given by:
Alan Gordon (02-23-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 12:34 PM   #48
Special Member

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
USA

Quote:
Nope. Not a typo. Some D+ and Vudu streams touch 38 Mbps but overall quality is slightly better on iTunes/MA due to higher average bit rates.
I think the reason Alan is questioning is because most people STILL look at measured bitrates as a sort of benchmark. Most codecs today by nature create variable bit rates, and a LOT of that is changes on the screen. More changes, more bits produced to accommodate those changes. Relate this in a way to how framerates are measured, and the differences between interlaced/progressive.

What engineers in the industry are striving for is to gain as much quality visually on a frame-to-frame basis as opposed to maintaining a standard throughout the entire presentation...because doing so wastes resources, and you try to engineer as efficiently as possible within provided guidelines. Now if EVERYBODY started at 100 mbps internet then our jobs become inherently easier...because there's a LOT to "play" with there. But that's NOT the case, so despite the limitations you have to produce as good a presentation to a customer with DSL (3-10 mbps or so, I KNOW, bonded produces faster speeds, but those are an exception rather than a rule) as you do with HS broadband.

But there HAS to be a tradeoff, so WHAT suffers? Usually the audio. Again, the data states fewer than 30% watch these streaming services hooked up to stereos or audio systems. Blame the "phone crowd" for that. So less emphasis is placed on providing EQUALLY quality sound along with the visuals...and yes that s***s because I'm ONE of those who has the audio output hooked to the HT for the best sound. And yes, I have DA as well...so I "feel your pain" so to speak. One day, OUR needs will become primary and not compromised by limits in current technology.
Thanks given by:
lgans316 (02-23-2021), oneway23 (02-24-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 01:58 PM   #49
Banned

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Quote:
I think the reason Alan is questioning is because most people STILL look at measured bitrates as a sort of benchmark. Most codecs today by nature create variable bit rates, and a LOT of that is changes on the screen. More changes, more bits produced to accommodate those changes. Relate this in a way to how framerates are measured, and the differences between interlaced/progressive.

What engineers in the industry are striving for is to gain as much quality visually on a frame-to-frame basis as opposed to maintaining a standard throughout the entire presentation...because doing so wastes resources, and you try to engineer as efficiently as possible within provided guidelines. Now if EVERYBODY started at 100 mbps internet then our jobs become inherently easier...because there's a LOT to "play" with there. But that's NOT the case, so despite the limitations you have to produce as good a presentation to a customer with DSL (3-10 mbps or so, I KNOW, bonded produces faster speeds, but those are an exception rather than a rule) as you do with HS broadband.

But there HAS to be a tradeoff, so WHAT suffers? Usually the audio. Again, the data states fewer than 30% watch these streaming services hooked up to stereos or audio systems. Blame the "phone crowd" for that. So less emphasis is placed on providing EQUALLY quality sound along with the visuals...and yes that s***s because I'm ONE of those who has the audio output hooked to the HT for the best sound. And yes, I have DA as well...so I "feel your pain" so to speak. One day, OUR needs will become primary and not compromised by limits in current technology.
The numbers are indicative (Avg-Peak). The bit rates see-saws between Avg-5 to Peak+2 during the course of the runtime. Most of the time, it's very close Average. Sometimes it peaks and then drops back, same like we see on discs.

I just wish audio bit rates were bumped up to 1-2 Mbps. Once this is done, it should sound almost identical to the disc.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:02 AM   #50
Banned

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Spreadsheet updated. Some interesting findings on D+ Star.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:41 PM   #51
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Questions:

1) why is the sheet in no discernible order?

2) why don't the headers stay static when scrolling?

3) why does it say all Godfather/Indiana Jones movies are available in 4k in the UK when they're HD-only?

Last edited by IndyMLVC; 02-24-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:13 PM   #52
Banned

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMLVC View Post
Questions:

1) why is the sheet in no discernible order?

2) why don't the headers stay static when scrolling?

3) why does it say all Godfather/Indiana Jones movies are available in 4k in the UK when they're HD-only?
Thanks for the feedback.

Fixed 2 and 3.

1) There is some logical ordering in chunks but you can use the spreadsheet features to sort.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:52 PM   #53
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

Fixed 2 and 3.

1) There is some logical ordering in chunks but you can use the spreadsheet features to sort.
Thank you! Great job!
Old 04-06-2021, 05:58 PM   #54
Banned

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Spreadsheet updated
Old 04-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #55

Feb 2010
United States

Any idea how HD bitrates compare? I know you said Apple TV hardware streams at 15-31mbps vs the app streaming 10-17mbps for 4K content, but is HD streaming similarly gimped on the app vs Apple TV hardware?
Old 04-11-2021, 10:03 PM   #56
Banned

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeve View Post
Any idea how HD bitrates compare? I know you said Apple TV hardware streams at 15-31mbps vs the app streaming 10-17mbps for 4K content, but is HD streaming similarly gimped on the app vs Apple TV hardware?
I am yet to do this comparison on HD streams but personally I don't care about HD streaming which sucks compared to 4K streaming.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:18 AM   #57

Feb 2010
United States

Quote:
I am yet to do this comparison on HD streams but personally I don't care about HD streaming which sucks compared to 4K streaming.
I donít disagree; I just have a decent amount of content that still isnít available in 4K, so I was curious how it compares.
Thanks given by:
lgans316 (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 07:25 PM   #58
Banned

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Spreadsheet updated.

Latest entry: Speed iTunes USA.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:51 PM   #59
Banned

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom