Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$36.99
1 day ago
Amazing Ocean 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.09

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.58

The Legend of Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.96

The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99

The 3-D Nudie-Cuties Collection 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.71

Taza, Son of Cochise 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Wings of the Hawk 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.82

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 02-02-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Warner Bros 300: Rise of an Empire (2014) Blu-ray 3D [Region Free]

FYI: 3D is in the Title of the Blu-ray 3D edition

Interesting that the price shot up in the two hours of Amazon's initial listing.

Original notification from the Blu-ray Movies - North America Official Thread

Last edited by Paul H; 02-02-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:38 AM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Cool. Can't wait to check this out in theaters for the really cool battle action 300 is known for, and especially the 3D! Thanks for posting the info, Paul. The early cover to 300 Rise of an Empire 3D looks good.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:50 AM   #3

Jun 2013

Awesome news. This is my most anticipated film this year with Pompeii and Amazing Spiderman 2 being close seconds. It's good to see that 3D releases are in good form.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

This looks cool and looks to be much more satisfying that the first in terms of visuals and action, and of course with the added bonus of 3D
Old 02-04-2014, 03:26 AM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Agreed. This could be great. I hope 300ROE (Rise of an Empire) does well in theaters and for the 3D.

I think this one will have a female lead hero compared to the first one, based on the trailers.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2008
United Kingdom

Reviews are starting to come out for this and apparently the 3d is incredible.

One reviewer said "It feels like this film used up Warner's entire quota of 3D for the year. There is no more 3D left in Hollywood now, because it's all in this movie. There must have been one entire FX team devoted to nothing but floating particulate matter in the space between the actors and the audience, and adding 3D to the already intense visual plan of "300" feels like someone putting ice cream on top of a piece of pie baked into a piece of cake that is covered in cookies. It's overkill, but by the time you get to this level of overkill, it seems like that's the only choice that would work at all"

Another said, "if you don't go to the 3d IMAX showing, you are missing out".

Sounds Great.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkblack View Post

One reviewer said "It feels like this film used up Warner's entire quota of 3D for the year. There is no more 3D left in Hollywood now, because it's all in this movie. There must have been one entire FX team devoted to nothing but floating particulate matter in the space between the actors and the audience, and adding 3D to the already intense visual plan of "300" feels like someone putting ice cream on top of a piece of pie baked into a piece of cake that is covered in cookies. It's overkill, but by the time you get to this level of overkill, it seems like that's the only choice that would work at all"

Sounds Great.
I find Real-D to be better than IMAX 3-D. When I did a comparision between Gravity in both formats, I found out that the Real-D gave me a more immersive experience.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:11 AM   #8
Special Member

Apr 2012

Quote:

Sounds Great.
This sounds great. Looking forward to seeing this one a lot.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:28 AM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
[Show spoiler]

Sounds Great.
Thanks for that info on the 3D. The trailer looks really good for 3D, so here's hoping.

For those who don't have the first 300, Gladiator or Troy on blu ray, you can get a "Movie Money Ticket" if you buy one, $8 off your ticket price, which in some areas, is a free movie to see 300 Rise of An Empire at participating theaters (most theaters). Kind of like getting a free blu ray of Gladiator for going to see 300 3D this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poya View Post
I find Real-D to be better than IMAX 3-D. When I did a comparision between Gravity in both formats, I found out that the Real-D gave me a more immersive experience.
I didn't notice that but your theaters may be calibrated different than mine if that's possible. If it was a strong 3D movie, it looked good in both formats I feel from my 3D experiences.

Watched 300 again last night and while the action is pretty cool, I agree the story is pretty basic, and mostly a movie about a small army fighting against a big army to put it simply. Great artistic style to the imagery.
300 Rise of an Empire looks promising in the same way.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:26 AM   #10

Oct 2008
Dominican Republic

Just watched at my Local theater, only one thing to say: AMAZING !!!!!!!! Lots of action strong 3D, very entertaining flick, can't wait for owning on bluray 3D when come out!!
Old 03-07-2014, 03:14 AM   #11
Special Member

Oct 2011
Manila

I'm going to see this for sure this weekend. Can't wait.

I wonder if this is successful if they will give the original the 3D treatment?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #12
Power Member

May 2009

Eva Green's boobs in 3D... easiest decision I've ever made. Pre-order in.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:58 AM   #13

Jun 2013

Saw this tonight with my brother. This is one of the most visually stunning movies I have ever seen. The 3D is strong throughout most of the movie!!! I loved it!
Old 03-08-2014, 04:21 AM   #14
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogofwar View Post
I'm going to see this for sure this weekend. Can't wait.

I wonder if this is successful if they will give the original the 3D treatment?
300 on blu ray 3D would be welcome if in strong 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Ellis View Post
Saw this tonight with my brother. This is one of the most visually stunning movies I have ever seen. The 3D is strong throughout most of the movie!!! I loved it!
Nice. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
I liked it better than the first one for sure. I didn't like the end though where
[Show spoiler]Eva Greens character gets killed
only negative point I have with it. The 3D is used well but I wouldn't call it strong. The layering is great and they do use negative and positive parallax well. It's just that the shaping isn't always that great, pretty average in this department. Ultimately it is better in 3D than 2D and this is how it should be viewed.

Saw the 3D trailer for Godzilla and that looked like it will benefit greatly from 3D on a big screen.
Will keep this in mind, thanks. The trailer's 3D definitely had impressive layering, but will have to check out the whole movie to be sure. I'll have to look at the shaping of the characters also.

I forget if this was converted or filmed in 3D? I'm guessing converted? I wonder by what team? I'll keep an eye out for the end credits if I have time.

Godzilla, I hope they show the trailer in 3D at my theaters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac2k View Post
Just watched at my Local theater, only one thing to say: AMAZING !!!!!!!! Lots of action strong 3D, very entertaining flick, can't wait for owning on bluray 3D when come out!!
Cool. Thanks for the 3D details.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:30 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
The £كا
Thumbs up

So...
  • Eva Green's boobs
  • 3D trailer for Godzilla
  • Positive 3D reviews

I'm in for IMAX 3D & a preorder!
Old 03-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #16
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

This was amazing, just incredible. Great movie, great 3D, great action. Eva Green is immense in her role, she is so good, sexy and beautiful. Great character. There's an early shot where Xerxes is standing on a prow overlooking his kingdom that has some of the strongest and most beautiful 3D I've seen. Another standout is a long take shot where Themistocles is on a horse, tearing around, slicing and dicing. Great sequence, amazingly well done.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #17
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
This was amazing, just incredible. Great movie, great 3D, great action. Eva Green is immense in her role, she is so good, sexy and beautiful. Great character. There's an early shot where Xerxes is standing on a prow overlooking his kingdom that has some of the strongest and most beautiful 3D I've seen. Another standout is a long take shot where Themistocles is on a horse, tearing around, slicing and dicing. Great sequence, amazingly well done.
Ditto!

This was an amazing movie and amazing sequel considering the wait for the sequel. And the 3d was just gorgeous and stunning and some of the best 3d I've ever seen. Just jawdroppingly great experience all around and I would be crazy happy if they released the original in 3d. 300 belongs in 3d and 3d suits the world of both films perfectly!

Day one buy in 3d for me unquestionably!

Also I completely nerdgasmed at the 3d trailer for Godzilla! 3d looked great for it!!!!!
Old 03-09-2014, 12:32 AM   #18
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

300 Rise of an Empire's Hybrid conversion done by a company named Gener8. I'm assuming it's a hybrid mix of heavy CGI graphics with live action converted to 3D.

While I would gauge the 3D double image with a flip of the glasses as on the level of stronger 3D, I'd say that the really strong 3D moments were only a few, but overall really nicely done 3D. I'll say mostly upper medium 3D with some strong 3D mixed in for 300 Rise of an Empire, as much as I was wishing it was all strong 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
I liked it better than the first one for sure. I didn't like the end though where
[Show spoiler]Eva Greens character gets killed
only negative point I have with it. The 3D is used well but I wouldn't call it strong. The layering is great and they do use negative and positive parallax well. It's just that the shaping isn't always that great, pretty average in this department. Ultimately it is better in 3D than 2D and this is how it should be viewed.

Saw the 3D trailer for Godzilla and that looked like it will benefit greatly from 3D on a big screen.
To requote your post, while I mostly enjoyed the 3D in 300 ROE, I did notice in many shots, a lot of "Bloom Lighting", bright light that bleeds into the edges of the characters, along with fog, that tended to flatten out the layering.
Another thing was sometimes everything seemed compressed from foreground to background, as if a fish eye lens was kind of bringing the layers closer together. I kept an eye out for the roundness of the characters, and agree it could have been amped up more.

Even so, Gener8 did a very respectable job on the 3D here in 300 2.
I'll still say the 3D from Legend of Hercules is still the one to beat for 2014 theatrical, from what I've seen so far this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
Yeah, that shot with Xeres standing on the ledge over the city below was the strongest 3D in the movie. Looked awesome.

Her tough character was a highlight of the film, yes. She was great with the swords also. Themistocles(spelling) as the lead hero did a great job fighting with the sword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseeley View Post
Ditto!

This was an amazing movie and amazing sequel considering the wait for the sequel. And the 3d was just gorgeous and stunning and some of the best 3d I've ever seen. Just jawdroppingly great experience all around and I would be crazy happy if they released the original in 3d. 300 belongs in 3d and 3d suits the world of both films perfectly!

Day one buy in 3d for me unquestionably!

Also I completely nerdgasmed at the 3d trailer for Godzilla! 3d looked great for it!!!!!
Cool you got the Godzilla 3D trailer too. My theater only showed Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (upper medium to strong 3D) and XMen Days of Future Past 3D (upper medium to strong 3D). No Godzilla 3D shown.
It showed a 2D of Edge of Tomorrow, with a 3D logo at the end.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:49 PM   #19
Banned

Jun 2008

I can't wait to watch this one. Bit off topic here is sin City 2 in 3D its definitely also a movie that could make the 3D really pop ?
Old 03-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #20
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2009
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
I can't wait to watch this one. Bit off topic here is sin City 2 in 3D its definitely also a movie that could make the 3D really pop ?
yep
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies