Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
RahXephon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99
1 day ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49

S-CRY-ed: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$51.74
8 hrs ago
Goblin Slayer: Goblin's Crown (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Infinite Dendrogram: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$65.37

Knights of Sidonia: Complete Series Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99

KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World!: The Complete Second Season & OVA (Blu-ray)
$44.60
8 hrs ago
Chihayafuru: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$59.99
1 day ago
Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

One Piece: Season 11 Voyage 3 (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Grisaia: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 04-11-2021, 10:25 AM   #381
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Nothing has been said about Funimation's strategy, but it's really up to HG. At this point, they haven't even put Robotech up for streaming on Funimation's service and it's been a few years since they announced the reformation of their partnership, after the aborted Shadow Chronicles project. I think they have been keeping quiet, hoping for the resolution of the Big West issue and cleared movement on Sony's Robotech project, before they move forward with anything. I honestly don't know if they will continue the aborted Shadow Chronicles project or Robotech Academy or roll in a different direction, but it is known that HG wants to do stuff that fills in the gaps in Robotech, so I'm thinking we'll definitely see some Sentinels-related movements, though that series itself is in continuity limbo.

Last edited by LexInHD; 04-11-2021 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:20 PM   #382
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2015
Minneapolis

We really are entering another 'Golden Age' of cooking, aren't we?

Old 04-12-2021, 06:34 AM   #383
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
Funkytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
I'm willing to post my theory here if people want to hear it, but honestly, I'm expecting the same, tired responses that don't actually question the common opinion
Yes please! Screw the haters, and hopefully we're all mature enough around here to take an opposing point of view into consideration, even if they don't buy off on it. Or at least are smart enough not to mouth off over a theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevers7290 View Post
What I don't get is all the vitriol and hatred towards Carl Macek that I have heard over the years. It seems a lot of weebs like to scapegoat him but he was a hugely influential figure in legitimizing Japanese anime in the west as a mature storytelling device. There was (and still is) the stigma of "cartoons" as a lower form of entertainment and Macek was clearly passionate about showcasing the appeal of Japanese animation for audiences both young and old.
Did Carl have a heavy hand in places, editing his localizations? Sure, but considering the heat that TV stations were getting over cartoons and violence, you think there's be a chance in hell that unedited Macross would run in the states? Hell no. Not a chance in hell. So in order to actually get the show on the air, he did what he had to.

Don't like it? Talk to the standards and practices department.

As far as Streamline Pictures goes, I would almost consider what he did there just as important as bringing Macross to the states. So many movies wound up in the west, making the collage and arthouse circuits that would have gone unnoticed.

Cagliostro and Mamo (plus the two specials) might have made it thanks to the Cliff Hanger arcade game adaption. Vampire Hunter D is also a sure bet, because horror always sells. And Akira certainty, because Akira.

But you think that a quirky, experimental anthology like Robot Carnival would have sold here? How about a mindf**k like Silent Möbius? Twilight of the Cockroaches? Not a chance in hell.

So yeah, I can be annoyed that Carl changed "Once again I have cut a useless object" to "Should have worn an asbestos suit" because he didn't understand the cultural context of Goemon insulting his sword because he had to use Zantetsuken on something unworthy of his attention - but at the end of the day, I like the dub overall and I might not have Cagliostro without Streamline.
Thanks given by:
Lionel Horsepackage (04-12-2021), professorwho (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 03:22 PM   #384
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

So with this agreement covering “most” Macross content, what do we think the exceptions will be?

Macross Plus/Macross II due to existing licensing arrangements?

Macross DYRL due to Toho?

Macross 7 due to music licensing?

The completist in me would even want Macross II (I’ve got the JP set) so whatever the exceptions are, I hope they make it into the agreement eventually.

Also hope that any streaming plans don’t get in the way of physical media releases.
Old 04-12-2021, 05:02 PM   #385
Power Member

Mar 2010
Room 303, The Heart o' the City Hotel
Send a message via AIM to Lionel Horsepackage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouncilSpectre View Post
So with this agreement covering “most” Macross content, what do we think the exceptions will be?

Macross DYRL due to Toho?

Macross 7 due to music licensing?

The completist in me would even want Macross II (I’ve got the JP set) so whatever the exceptions are, I hope they make it into the agreement eventually.

Also hope that any streaming plans don’t get in the way of physical media releases.
Macross DYRL very likely, due to that whole Toho-situation (though it's probably fairly easily overcome -- also, it was the one visual logo conspicuously missing on Big West's initial press-release), and yeah, have been wondering about the whole Macross 7 Fire Bomber rights-issues ever since the new announcement came out last week.

And taints will be punched hard if Macross II fails to get a timely domestic release, here. Despite Kawamori's issues with it, it's still one of my all-time favorite entries in the entire series.
Thanks given by:
CouncilSpectre (04-12-2021), sagadego (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 06:40 PM   #386
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2014

It wouldn't surprise me if Harmony Gold ends up eventually selling its assets to Sony or FUNi, or being merged into them in some way. Like other old companies distributing anime (Voyager Entertainment for Star Blazers, World Events for Voltron, and formerly Speed Racer Enterprises for Speed Racer and Sandy Frank for Gatchaman), their business is almost solely dedicated to one property, one that isn't exactly as relevant or mainstream as it once was, but still remains a nostalgic favorite. Their assets have some value, but I can't see it supporting one company for much longer.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:04 PM   #387
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
The hurricane state

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouncilSpectre View Post
I have to assess that Lionsgate, aka the current holders of the Manga Entertainment brand, no longer has the Macross Plus license. It's a free for all at this point.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:29 PM   #388
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2015
Alabama

I can see Funimation going after DYRL from Toho as a separate license, as long as they have all of the other necessary agreements with the brand. Seems like a prime choice for a Steelbook release.
Thanks given by:
Lionel Horsepackage (04-13-2021), sagadego (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 11:09 PM   #389
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Worth noting Harmony Gold is involved in real estate, so that's a good source of income for them.
http://www.harmonygoldproperties.com/
Old 04-13-2021, 02:49 AM   #390

Jun 2019

https://twitter.com/LandofObscusion/...00320850870272
Old 04-13-2021, 02:55 AM   #391
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
The hurricane state

*open for licensing*

Thanks given by:
Lionel Horsepackage (04-13-2021), sagadego (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 03:16 AM   #392
Power Member

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

https://twitter.com/landofobscusion/...020227075?s=21

Quote:
Giving the Robotech stream a check, and they're on Q&A now.

According to Tommy Yune, Harmony Gold & ADV were looking into possibly re-releasing Robotech the Movie, since ADV had the Megazone 23 license at the time, but ADV's Sojitz problems & subsequent semi-death killed it.
https://twitter.com/landofobscusion/...821594624?s=21

Quote:
Also, according to Yune, FUNimation was working on a new Robotech release, but the pandemic forced FUNi to put focus more on stuff they could do on their own.

That said, Yune also seems to think FUNimation releases comic books, asking fans to ask FUNi for more Robotech Remix.
https://twitter.com/landofobscusion/...850870272?s=21

Quote:
BIG NEWS, literally from the mouth of Harmony Gold's Tommy Yune in this stream:
"In regards to the other Macross stuff, like Frontier, those are open for licensing right now."
https://twitter.com/landofobscusion/...448363012?s=21

Quote:
Yune in regards to Macross being in Super Robot Wars again:
"Yeah, let's make a deal, let's make it work!"

Also, no answer available in regards to Clash of the Bionoids.
https://twitter.com/landofobscusion/...318009856?s=21

Quote:
In regards to Genesis Breaker Mospeada, the new anime Tatsunoko announced a big ago:
"Harmony Gold has no involvement in that production", and they know as much about it as we do.
https://twitter.com/landofobscusion/...577716739?s=21

Quote:
"What about Robotech Academy?"

Literal seconds of silence from Yune & the other Harmony Gold rep, before giving a non-committal answer. I think that says enough about that idea.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:18 AM   #393
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagadego View Post
Quoted below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofObscusion
Giving the Robotech stream a check, and they're on Q&A now.

According to Tommy Yune, Harmony Gold & ADV were looking into possibly re-releasing Robotech the Movie, since ADV had the Megazone 23 license at the time, but ADV's Sojitz problems & subsequent semi-death killed it.

Also, according to Yune, FUNimation was working on a new Robotech release, but the pandemic forced FUNi to put focus more on stuff they could do on their own.

That said, Yune also seems to think FUNimation releases comic books, asking fans to ask FUNi for more Robotech Remix.

BIG NEWS, literally from the mouth of Harmony Gold's Tommy Yune in this stream:
"In regards to the other Macross stuff, like Frontier, those are open for licensing right now."

Yune in regards to Macross being in Super Robot Wars again:
"Yeah, let's make a deal, let's make it work!"

Also, no answer available in regards to Clash of the Bionoids.

In regards to Genesis Breaker Mospeada, the new anime Tatsunoko announced a big ago:
"Harmony Gold has no involvement in that production", and they know as much about it as we do.

"What about Robotech Academy?"

Literal seconds of silence from Yune & the other Harmony Gold rep, before giving a non-committal answer. I think that says enough about that idea.

Yune says that Udon will be putting out an art book for Genesis Climber Mospeada in the future. Interesting to see that be given the spotlight, in that regard.

Yune ends with a recap of Tatsunoko, giving respect to Tatsuo Yoshida & his early passing, Macross being cancelled & then extended, & the other HG rep even thanks "the haters" for keeping the love for Macross, as they helped make this deal with Big West happen.

End stream.

So, in the end, we didn't really learn anything truly new, but the overall message is that stuff will be happening, this is a super freshly-inked deal between Harmony Gold & Big West, and it's an open road from here on out for both sides.

I'll take that.
[Edit]Got beat to it. Remember to quote things instead of purely linking them.
Thanks given by:
gloomranger (04-13-2021), Lionel Horsepackage (04-13-2021), sagadego (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 03:21 AM   #394
Special Member

Nov 2010
Berkeley, Ca

I own Frontier, and everything that was already given an English friendly release - import or not... Let me know when they get serious and start bringing out everything they've been able to block this whole time.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:25 AM   #395
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
The hurricane state

Quote:
Yune ends with a recap of Tatsunoko, giving respect to Tatsuo Yoshida & his early passing, Macross being cancelled & then extended, & the other HG rep even thanks "the haters" for keeping the love for Macross, as they helped make this deal with Big West happen.
You're welcome.
Thanks given by:
sagadego (04-13-2021)
Old 04-13-2021, 01:54 PM   #396
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

CoTB was an "exclusive" to Celebrity Home Entertainment, for their animated video line geared towards kids, and it was simply a bork bork bork cut of the Toho international dub for DYRL. There's no reason to release it and it likely wouldn't even happen anyway, as the status of the materials and rights are unknown at this time. Celebrity assets (theoretically) appear to be under the ownership of the Kew Media Group, who went under last year due to the Pandemic. Before that, they had a fire-sale of their assets, so most of you should get where I'm going with this.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:02 AM   #397
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2014

I don't think anyone has any love, fondness, or nostalgia for the old Clash of the Bionoids dub of DYRL. It's fun to watch and laugh at for five minutes, but the film is otherwise unwatchable with that dub (even the uncut version). Just give it a subtitled Blu-ray with a fresh dub and brand new cast.

Last edited by GeoffOliver; 04-14-2021 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:21 PM   #398
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

The DYRL dub is basically on par with an old Godzilla International dub. It's nothing to be excited about. A proper and modern dub would be great, though I don't see it happening, unless the DYRL release is timed to Sony's Robotech film and the dub is commissioned by them.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:21 PM   #399

Feb 2019
North Dakota

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexInHD View Post
CoTB was an "exclusive" to Celebrity Home Entertainment, for their animated video line geared towards kids, and it was simply a bork bork bork cut of the Toho international dub for DYRL. There's no reason to release it and it likely wouldn't even happen anyway, as the status of the materials and rights are unknown at this time. Celebrity assets (theoretically) appear to be under the ownership of the Kew Media Group, who went under last year due to the Pandemic. Before that, they had a fire-sale of their assets, so most of you should get where I'm going with this.
The full version VHS was Century Group and was distirbuted by Best Film and Video. By the label on my old tape it seems Big West would own the old dub.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:59 PM   #400
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoTheMan82 View Post
The full version VHS was Century Group and was distirbuted by Best Film and Video. By the label on my old tape it seems Big West would own the old dub.
Toho paid for and owns the dub. Celebrity owned their "Clash Of The Bionoids" cut of the Toho dub.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime