Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
RahXephon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99
1 day ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49

S-CRY-ed: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$51.74
8 hrs ago
Goblin Slayer: Goblin's Crown (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Infinite Dendrogram: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$65.37

Chihayafuru: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$59.99
1 day ago
Knights of Sidonia: Complete Series Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99

KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World!: The Complete Second Season & OVA (Blu-ray)
$44.60
8 hrs ago
Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

One Piece: Season 11 Voyage 3 (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Grisaia: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 08-08-2016, 02:49 AM   #21

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls With Guns View Post
Was there a re-release for Neko Black in the wider slipbox? The one I have is the same size as all the other singles except Tsuki... Like all the others, I got it when it first released, so it's the original size and fits in a 16mm protector. I guess maybe AoA is using a different manufacturer for the slipboxes now, and all the releases are going to be shipping in the wider boxes from now on?
Yes; mine's a reprint - same size as Tsukimonogatari. Otorimonogatari also got a reprint, too, I believe.
Thanks given by:
Girls With Guns (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 08:10 AM   #22

Sep 2015
London, UK

Quote:
Was there a re-release for Neko Black in the wider slipbox? The one I have is the same size as all the other singles except Tsuki... Like all the others, I got it when it first released, so it's the original size and fits in a 16mm protector. I guess maybe AoA is using a different manufacturer for the slipboxes now, and all the releases are going to be shipping in the wider boxes from now on?
Can't answer your question as I have the first print to Neko Black. Although, AoA aren't always using the thicker slipboxes - Aldnoah.Zero, Nisekoi: 2nd Season do not use them.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:34 PM   #23

Dec 2015

Awesome job on this thread GwG! I have a mix of Retro protection and Steelbook Central sleeves!
Thanks given by:
Girls With Guns (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #24
Blu-ray Champion

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

I'm awaiting some inside measurements (in millimeters) of the Steelbook Central protectors from a few people that own them, and will add that information to post #3 along with the goofy ninja review video. Feel free to post some photos of the fit of those covers here in the thread, as well!

If anyone uses any protectors from other manufacturers, especially any jumbo ones that are larger than 20mm in spine width, I'd like to include those in this thread, too... Thanks!
Old 08-08-2016, 08:00 PM   #25

Mar 2016

I'm still waiting for the SCF3 from steelbookcentral to stock up for my Ranmas.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:04 AM   #26
Blu-ray Champion

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmet otter View Post
I'm still waiting for the SCF3 from steelbookcentral to stock up for my Ranmas.
Pics or it didn't happen...!

UPDATE: I added some measurements for the protectors available from Steelbook Central in Post #3 of this thread, provided for us by Blu Ray Addict...
Old 08-12-2016, 03:18 AM   #27

Dec 2011

Got the 10x box protectors and it works great for FMA Brotherhood sets and TGWLTT set. The rest are being used for my steelbook movies.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #28
Blu-ray Champion

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanig View Post
Got the 10x box protectors and it works great for FMA Brotherhood sets and TGWLTT set. The rest are being used for my steelbook movies.
10x box protectors? Not sure what you mean by that - the 16mm Blu-ray protectors (PS3/PS4 or Standard Steelbook) should be the right size for those... I assume maybe you mean a quantity of 10?

I really wish RetroProtection had simple model names/numbers like Steelbook Central does, to make it easier to refer to their different sizes here in the thread. I guess I'll have to make up some names for them just for easier reference here in the thread... How about by disc type then spine width - so let's call them BD14, BD16, BD18, BD20, DVD15, DVD18... I'll update my beginning posts with those terms as well.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:49 AM   #29
Blu-ray Champion

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA
Default Box Protectors for Limited Edition Anime box sets?

Ok guys, Heads Up - I wanted to get an idea of what the interest may be for box protectors specifically sized for G2 LE anime box sets from Funimation and Aniplex of America? I've been in discussions with a supplier to get an idea what it may cost to get 3 sizes of G2 box protectors in different spine widths custom-made for the anime community...

I took some measurements of different G2 Blu-ray-sized chipboard and cardboard slipboxes, and found that the majority of LE box sets come in 3 spine widths:

30mm wide for LE sets such as Noragami, Code Breaker, Okami-san, C-Control, Blood C, SAO I series, and Blue Exorcist Movie;

36mm wide for LE sets such as Shiki, Noein, Steins;Gate, Last Exile: Fam, SAO II series, Your Lie in April (33mm);

42mm wide for LE sets such as Eden of the East,Blue Exorcist I & II, Bakemonogatari (first run), and Nisemongatari.

The actual box protectors would probably be 1-2mm wider to allow a little variation in dimensions. I was told the minimum order from the factory is 200 of any given size, so that would mean a total order of 600 to start out with - but they also would be a bit more expensive to order them in minimum amounts, so expect them to cost between $2.50 and $3.00 each for these, maybe a little less if purchased in lots of 10. Considering that our anime LE Box sets can run between $50 and $120 per box, and their value often increases dramatically once OOP, I don't think that is an unreasonable cost to protect our valuable anime assets!

Let me know via PM if you would be interested in purchasing some of these, and if you can, an estimate of about how many you would most likely need (don't forget a few extras of each size for future purchases!) - understand I am not taking any actual orders, this is strictly to gauge whether this project would be something remotely doable or not. I myself would probably order 10 of each size right off the bat, so that's 30 right there - but that still means 20 of us would need to go in at a similar level. 600 protectors is a lot for the retailer to have to sell off almost completely in a fairly short amount of time, as this would be a trial run, if it even happens - and it it does happen, it could be the only run, depending on demand...

Last edited by Girls With Guns; 08-18-2016 at 01:54 AM.
Thanks given by:
Blu_Ray_Addict (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 02:14 AM   #30
Special Member

Apr 2011
Valley of the Sun

Well, I'm definitely interested in this. I would be down for 10 of each to start also. What would the quality on these be like though? Also...maybe something custom for the Rurouni Kenshin Aniplex sets? Those are quite thin and a special size of its own.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:58 AM   #31
Blu-ray Champion

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

These would be identical quality to the box protectors I posted at the top of the thread - 12 mil PET plastic, acid free, archive quality, fully enclosed (flaps top and bottom)... They would also most likely come with the peel-off film over them like the larger steelbook sizes have, to protect the surface of the protectors from scratches until you use them.

Also, I decided I would concentrate on the G2 box sizes first, to see how that goes, before I'd try for any G1 size protectors, such as you asked about the Rurouni Kenshin movies. Since I have a large import collection, I could actually use way more G1 height protectors for LE import box sets than I need for G2 box sets, but I figured I'd have wider interest in the G2 protectors first...
Old 08-27-2016, 10:27 PM   #32
Blu-ray Champion

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

I received an email from the owner of RetroProtection that he just purchased 3 Limited Edition anime in the 3 different spine-width boxes to get proper sizing for possible box protectors that will fit both Funimation and Aniplex LE titles - I had given him an example of a Funimation title in each of the 3 widths. I don't know if he will make his decision on getting the protectors made based on whether he likes the anime or not, though, lol....

My picks for examples were simply based on titles I have in my collection for each size box - Fujiko Mine, Noein, and Eden of the East.
Thanks given by:
Blu_Ray_Addict (08-28-2016), KillaCam (08-28-2016), MysticEyes (08-28-2016), Sleee (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 01:39 AM   #33

Dec 2015

Thanks for taking the lead on this man. Really hope they get made
Thanks given by:
Girls With Guns (08-28-2016), Sleee (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 03:15 AM   #34

May 2016

A little late but I'd purchase 10 of each. 30mm, 36, and 42.

Last edited by Sleee; 08-28-2016 at 03:21 AM.
Thanks given by:
Girls With Guns (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 01:37 PM   #35
Blu-ray Champion

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

No, not late at all, this is going to take some time to accomplish - I will need to drum up WAY more interest to get even an initial minimum run of 600 (200 of each size) made. The supplier is still really on the fence with these, and is trying to find other items that would fit these sizes of protectors, like jumbo steelbooks, to make them useful enough to him to feel comfortable in placing an order. So, we really need to show him that the demand would be there just from us anime collectors alone. Right now we only have about 5 people interested in 10 of each size so far, so 150 protectors is still a long way off from us being able to cover the cost of 600. I was hoping to be able to do this project solely from within this forum's members for the initial run, and not have to go out to "advertise" in other forums until we ourselves get a successful trial run - kind of like a Kickstarter exclusivity thing...

So, any one else here that would be interested in box protector sizes that will fit both Funimation and Aniplex Limited Edition chipboxes with 30mm, 36mm, and 42mm spine-widths, please speak up now...

Last edited by Girls With Guns; 08-28-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #36

Dec 2012

Any place to get protectors for the (US) DBZ Dragon Boxes?
Old 09-15-2016, 06:17 PM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
US

Quote:
No, not late at all, this is going to take some time to accomplish - I will need to drum up WAY more interest to get even an initial minimum run of 600 (200 of each size) made. The supplier is still really on the fence with these, and is trying to find other items that would fit these sizes of protectors, like jumbo steelbooks, to make them useful enough to him to feel comfortable in placing an order. So, we really need to show him that the demand would be there just from us anime collectors alone. Right now we only have about 5 people interested in 10 of each size so far, so 150 protectors is still a long way off from us being able to cover the cost of 600. I was hoping to be able to do this project solely from within this forum's members for the initial run, and not have to go out to "advertise" in other forums until we ourselves get a successful trial run - kind of like a Kickstarter exclusivity thing...

So, any one else here that would be interested in box protector sizes that will fit both Funimation and Aniplex Limited Edition chipboxes with 30mm, 36mm, and 42mm spine-widths, please speak up now...
I would be interested in this as well. Would probably do 10 of each too.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #38
Blu-ray Champion

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roge_NES View Post
Any place to get protectors for the (US) DBZ Dragon Boxes?
You could send the seller a message with the exact dimensions of the boxes and ask if any of the boxes he already has would fit them - he has a slew of box sizes to fit game-related stuff, maybe one of those would be close. IF we can get these G2 Blu-ray-height boxes made and they sell well enough, I definitely want to have him do some DVD height boxes as well, in different widths - but that is looking like a long shot right now, doesn't seem to be quite enough interest in these, even...
Old 09-17-2016, 12:46 AM   #39

Mar 2016

Are these the same box protectors that steelbook central sells?
Old 09-17-2016, 02:03 AM   #40
Blu-ray Champion

May 2014
Amish Farm Country, PA

yes, they are pretty much identical to the SCF line of protectors Steelbook Central sells, as these are enclosed on all sides, with flaps at top and bottom - but RetroProtection offers sizes specifically for Blu-ray and DVD, and not just steelbook sizes. Steelbook central also has a few sideload protectors (SC line) and some that are o-sleeves, open on both spines. Since Retroprotection ships from the central US, it only takes two days for me to get my orders to me.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Tags
anime, aniplex, dragon boxes, protectors