Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Glass (iTunes)
$4.99

Unbreakable (iTunes)
$4.99

Jurassic Park (iTunes)
$4.99

Kingsman: The Secret Service (iTunes)
$4.99

Do the Right Thing (iTunes)
$4.99

The Hateful Eight (iTunes)
$4.99

Die Hard with a Vengeance (iTunes)
$4.99

Kingsman 2 Movie Collection (iTunes)
$19.98

DC 7-Film Collection (iTunes)
$49.99

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (iTunes)
$7.99

Frozen II (iTunes)
$9.99

Top Gun (iTunes)
$7.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 01-20-2018, 01:05 AM   #41
Expert Member

Apr 2014
479 via 318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
It's interesting how different the perspectives are. I've had nothing but good experiences with Apple's digital media. They spearheaded DRM-free music downloads , iTunes (the app) is still far superior for media management than the web pages that other providers rely on, and their movie DRM is the most liberal that I know of. The free 4K upgrades don't hurt either.
Not exactly. That credit goes to Amazon.
https://www.techhive.com/article/155...music_drm.html
Quote:
Amazon: The online retail giant was the first music store to sell DRM-free MP3s from the Big Four--EMI, Universal, Warner Music, and Sony BMG.
I remember buying drm-free music through Amazon well before Apple finally offered the same for the big labels.

On topic, I've owned a Roku 2, 3, and 4, and now own an Apple TV 4 (not 4k...yet). I removed the Roku 4 from the main TV and haven't hooked it up anywhere else. So yea, I like the Apple TV quite a bit.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:17 AM   #42
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakkMajik3000 View Post
Not exactly. That credit goes to Amazon.
https://www.techhive.com/article/155...music_drm.html

I remember buying drm-free music through Amazon well before Apple finally offered the same for the big labels.
Not true. Amazon was the first store to offer DRM-free music from all 4 major labels, but Apple sold DRM-free music from EMI before Amazon Music was even launched:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...s.digitalmedia

According to reports there was quite a bit of arm-twisting by Jobs involved.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:23 AM   #43

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMLVC View Post
Has anyone here owned both devices? Likes? Dislikes? Opinions?
The ATV is faster, smoother, better UI.

The touchpad/SIRI remote is super awesome for scrolling/scrubbing and has an incredible battery life. But the frequent complaints about picking it up wrong are true--somehow orientation is wrong most of the time when I pick it up. (You would think at worst it would be 50/50 right way, wrong way!) I've also heard that the trackpad is glass, so if you drop it onto tile, stone, or some other rigid surface, it can shatter.

But that's actually the little stuff. The absolute game changer for me is the combination of free 4K upgrades+MA+VUDU. Here are some of the more dramatic examples:

1) One of the things I struggle with is "4K or 3D?" when buying something. For example Blade Runner 2049 I want the sharpness, detail, and HDR presentation, which is 4K/DV. But I also want to experience it at least once in 3D (which is glorious on a 4K OLED). Now I don't have to choose. I buy the 3D disc and redeem the HD code in UV. Via MA it shows up in iTunes with 4K/DV. So get both without having to buy both discs separately.

2) 4K digital codes are a mess. You can buy a 4K disc but they often redeem in HD in a service, EVEN WHEN THAT SERVICE HAS THE TITLE IN 4K. This just pisses me off. Well if iTunes has it in 4K, the code will play in 4K. And if iTunes gets it later in 4K, it'll become 4K. This is really a basic straightforward expectation, but everyone else just seems incompetent about it.

3) There is a bonus combination that most people aren't aware of. iTunes+MA+VUDU+Disc-to-Digital. For example, I just did a disc-to-digital Starship Troopers for $2, which puts it in VUDU in HD. Then, via MA, it shows up in iTunes as 4K/Dolby Vision. So I got 4K+DV/HDR versions of Starship Troopers, I Am Legend, Star Trek, Terminator Genisys, and The Town...all for $2 each. Awesome. That's $10 total. Without D2D, that would have cost $100-$150.

And it's the gift that keeps on giving. Over time I fully expect more and more titles to go 4K on iTunes, so my Blu-ray disc collection will keep upgrading itself over time to 4K/HDR streaming for free.

This is literally the exact opposite of what we are all used to, which is begrudgingly trying to pick which titles should we double/triple/quadruple dip for, and paying out the butt every time we want to upgrade the media.

This is such a breath of fresh air, and absolutely 100% a game changer IMHO. I am surprised this isn't talked about more.

Last edited by Actionable Mango; 01-24-2018 at 02:27 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:38 AM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post

3) There is a bonus combination that most people aren't aware of. iTunes+MA+VUDU+Disc-to-Digital. For example, I just did a disc-to-digital Starship Troopers for $2, which puts it in VUDU in HD. Then, via MA, it shows up in iTunes as 4K/Dolby Vision. So I got 4K+DV/HDR versions of Starship Troopers, I Am Legend, Star Trek, Terminator Genisys, and The Town...all for $2 each. Awesome. That's $10 total. Without D2D, that would have cost $100-$150.

I am sorry to have to tell you but you are not getting 4K copies from D2D conversions. You only get the 4K upgrade from direct iTunes purchases and code redemptions. On mobile you can see what you own in your library on the TV app or on the Apple TV when watching a movie and swiping down. Check the iTunes 4K thread for more info and confirmation.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:39 AM   #45

Feb 2008

Quote:

The touchpad/SIRI remote is super awesome for scrolling/scrubbing and has an incredible battery life. But the frequent complaints about picking it up wrong are true--somehow orientation is wrong most of the time when I pick it up. (You would think at worst it would be 50/50 right way, wrong way!) I've also heard that the trackpad is glass, so if you drop it onto tile, stone, or some other rigid surface, it can shatter.

But that's actually the little stuff. The absolute game changer for me is the combination of free 4K upgrades+MA+VUDU. Here are some of the more dramatic examples:

1) One of the things I struggle with is "4K or 3D?" when buying something. For example Blade Runner 2049 I want the sharpness, detail, and HDR presentation, which is 4K/DV. But I also want to experience it at least once in 3D (which is glorious on a 4K OLED). Now I don't have to choose. I buy the 3D disc and redeem the HD code in UV. Via MA it shows up in iTunes with 4K/DV. So get both without having to buy both discs separately.

2) 4K digital codes are a mess. You can buy a 4K disc but they often redeem in HD in a service, EVEN WHEN THAT SERVICE HAS THE TITLE IN 4K. This just pisses me off. Well if iTunes has it in 4K, the code will play in 4K. And if iTunes gets it later in 4K, it'll become 4K. This is really a basic straightforward expectation, but everyone else just seems incompetent about it.

And it's the gift that keeps on giving. Over time I fully expect more and more titles to go 4K on iTunes, so my Blu-ray disc collection will keep upgrading itself over time to 4K/HDR streaming for free.

This is literally the exact opposite of what we are all used to, which is begrudgingly trying to pick which titles should we double/triple/quadruple dip for, and paying out the butt every time we want to upgrade the media.

This is such a breath of fresh air, and absolutely 100% a game changer IMHO. I am surprised this isn't talked about more.
This is not how the 4k upgrade works. If you get a non 4k code and redeem in VUDU it doesn’t give you a 4K upgrade in iTunes. You only get 4k upgraded for Movies you buy or redeem directly in iTunes. If you are going by what’s listed in iTunes, that is not the PQ you own, that is only the highest the offer.

So that Blade Runner is not 4k in iTunes. I wished it worked how you think it worked. Same with those DTD, none of those port into iTunes giving 4k...it’s not that easy.

Here’s the spreadsheet, a lot of movies are not in 4k and a lot are only available if you purchase full price in iTunes: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Htmh4/htmlview

Last edited by Veign06; 01-24-2018 at 02:46 AM.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:10 AM   #46
Expert Member

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
And none of this pertains to the issue at hand. The OP wanted people to compare that had used both. Obviously he's not in the hater camp with you.
Really?? You’re using the word “hater”? No offense, but that makes you sound like an immature five year old. Criticism is not “hate”. It’s just...criticism. Some people use Apple TV and love it, while others dislike it. Those who don’t like it aren’t haters, it just means that the product in question did not meet that person’s needs.
Thanks given by:
Indy64 (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #47

Nov 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostromo View Post
Really?? You’re using the word “hater”? No offense, but that makes you sound like an immature five year old. Criticism is not “hate”. It’s just...criticism. Some people use Apple TV and love it, while others dislike it. Those who don’t like it aren’t haters, it just means that the product in question did not meet that person’s needs.
There have been direct references to hating Apple in this thread, and mentions of people saying "buy Roku, never buy anything from Apple" basically.

That's not criticism in any form. It's not going to help the OP either, because he's not buying product based on the forum members personal bias. It's absolutely ridiculous but there are people who will contribute to a thread like this with zero information except a statement that they don't buy brand X, for reasons, despite never owning any of brand X to begin with.
Thanks given by:
IndyMLVC (01-24-2018), ZoetMB (01-29-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 05:36 PM   #48

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veign06 View Post
This is not how the 4k upgrade works.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyman View Post
I am sorry to have to tell you but you are not getting 4K copies from D2D conversions.
Oh man, you guys are raining on my parade! But thanks for the correction. And it explains why nobody is talking about it.

What confuses me is that on the D2D titles I own when I look in iTunes it states 4K. Admittedly I have not had time to watch the titles, much less verify the stream. I'm in middle of a huge project to digitize my disc library.

I will check out the link you passed on. I appreciate it!
Thanks given by:
Greyman (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 05:49 PM   #49
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

Quote:
Has anyone here owned both devices? Likes? Dislikes? Opinions?
Apple TV shits all over Roku.
Thanks given by:
zachp (01-26-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 10:16 PM   #50
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
Thanks given by:
Naiera (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 03:06 AM   #51

Feb 2008

Quote:
Oh man, you guys are raining on my parade! But thanks for the correction. And it explains why nobody is talking about it.

What confuses me is that on the D2D titles I own when I look in iTunes it states 4K. Admittedly I have not had time to watch the titles, much less verify the stream. I'm in middle of a huge project to digitize my disc library.

I will check out the link you passed on. I appreciate it!
Yep when I first saw the news I was thinking the same but the more I researched I found that it wasn’t the case. Still loving it so far but that would have been MUCH better. You can check on the Apple TV 4k, just go to the TV app (not the iTunes app) then go to Library...it will show how many 4k movies you own and list them out.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #52
Special Member

Aug 2013
TX

Quote:
That's because Roku killed it. Excrement usually happens when something dies.
Thanks given by:
flyry (01-25-2018), huskerbear (02-04-2018), Indy64 (01-25-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 03:07 AM   #53
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

Except for a crapload of useless channels, Roku does NOTHING the Apple TV doesn’t do better.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:09 AM   #54
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Old 01-26-2018, 03:28 AM   #55
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Except for a crapload of useless channels, Roku does NOTHING the Apple TV doesn’t do better.
Actually, if you read this thread, you'll see that there are many problems with the Apple TV.
Old 01-27-2018, 03:19 AM   #56
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

And there are no problems with Roku? There are plenty of different issues with both systems, but assuming that all things work as they should, there is nothing besides the extreme selection of (99% worthless) channels that any Roku does better than an Apple TV 4K.

I had a Roku 2 XD a long time ago and a Roku Premiere now. I have nothing against Roku’s streamers, unlike the Apple haters out there who’ll let their personal bias control their recommendations to you.

Last edited by Naiera; 01-27-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #57
Banned

Aug 2009
Watsonville, California

Quote:
I used to have blind hatred for them as well. In this case, Vudu not being able to get things right and MA changed all that. I want the option.
Make your own digital copies with the discs. There are hundreds of programs which allow the conversion. As I've already mentioned, I'd never willfully have anything by Apple.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:51 AM   #58
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Rogers View Post
Make your own digital copies with the discs. There are hundreds of programs which allow the conversion. As I've already mentioned, I'd never willfully have anything by Apple.
Then you're of no use in this thread. I need unbiased, logical and intelligent opinions.
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #59
Banned

Oct 2016

Quote:
And there are no problems with Roku? There are plenty of different issues with both systems, but assuming that all things work as they should, there is nothing besides the extreme selection of (99% worthless) channels that any Roku does better than an Apple TV 4K.

I had a Roku 2 XD a long time ago and a Roku Premiere now. I have nothing against Roku’s streamers, unlike the Apple haters out there who’ll let their personal bias control their recommendations to you.
There is no bias. Just a realization that loving in the Apple ecosystem can be both expensive and restrictive. Roku is much more like Android where there is an openness to the platform.
Thanks given by:
Indy64 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 08:01 PM   #60

Nov 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMan View Post
There is no bias. Just a realization that loving in the Apple ecosystem can be both expensive and restrictive. Roku is much more like Android where there is an openness to the platform.
It just sounds like the opinion one might have that hasn't used an Apple TV. All the apps are there, save for Amazon.. and that's coming. You can use an Apple TV for everything and never buy any content from them. It is not restrictive.

That being said, now that Movies Anywhere has come along, it's even better b/c you'll automatically have a bunch of content in iTunes if you wish to view it.. b/c it'll feed over from Vudu, Google Play, Amazon, via MA.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies