Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Batman 4 Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

DC 7-Film Collection (iTunes)
$49.99

Batman 80th Anniversary Collection (iTunes)
$39.99

Iron Man (iTunes)
$7.99

Avengers: Endgame (iTunes)
$7.99

Doctor Strange (iTunes)
$7.99

The Dark Knight Trilogy (iTunes)
$19.99

Dexter, The Complete Series (iTunes)
$29.99

Guardians of the Galaxy (iTunes)
$7.99

Justice League / Batman v Superman (iTunes)
$19.99

Ant-Man (iTunes)
$7.99

Avengers: Infinity War (iTunes)
$7.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 03-04-2021, 07:29 PM   #81

Dec 2019

I have a TCL 6 series (high end) with Roku. I have a friend with an Apple 4K TV (Several). I have had Chromecast Ultra (4k) for years now, not even the regular. I also have the 4K Firesticks and a Samsung smart TV, and an TCL Android TV that isn't too great but its alright.

Anyone who likes Roku is not smart. I can't stand it's stupidity. It isn't an all encompassing sevice.

I do not want to sound mean or condescending but "SMART TV APPS" running on a TV's Operating System is usually NOT good. It may be for some things but EVERYONE in here knows some apps have issues and they do not understand that it is probably just their experience with their TV.

My TCL Roku app for YouTube TV, Google Play Movies, Vudu, etc. is vastly different from my experience with the apps on my Android TV from TCL -- which is also fine. But neither are good because TCL can stop updating the OS and the TV may always look good, but the components for running modern apps will NOT in a few years.

Things like Amazon and Roku do horrible jobs at things like this, quoting the NYT Wirecutter piece I link to below:

Quote:
A good search feature also makes it easier for you to find the content you want. Many media streamers search across a limited number of services or prioritize content from a source where they earn income. For instance, Amazonís Fire TV prioritizes search results from Amazonís own streaming service, even if that isnít your preferred service. A streaming platform that looks across more services and provides both free and pay options helps you find your desired content at the lowest price.

AppleTV 4K or the new Google TV system are the only viable options.

Linking all your accounts to Google or Apple accounts allows the "CONTINUED WATCHING" and suggestions to sync across devices, your phone apps, the web, etc. and it is PHENOMENAL.

The apps for any service are always going to continue to exist on both services.

Roku, Amazon, and other streaming devices or TV operating systems are just not good long term and will ALWAYS have issues.

Google and Apple accounts are SECURE, very proven to work with anything, and while Apple has a "closed ecosystem" it is SO large they have a lot of sway.

Google accounts are also VERY secure, and they are VERY into "universal" access. They want your Apple MacBook and iPhone to use all their apps\services just as much as an Android.
  • Apple TV can run any app. Roku's app is on it. Amazon is on it. Netflix and HBO Max, everything.
  • If you own an iPhone, already buy movies and shows from Apple's library (or subscribe to Apple TV Plus), an Apple TV may be worth the extra cash. It has every major streaming app, including Amazon Video, and the interface is slicker and easier to use than a Roku. (Opt for the 64 GB version so you don't run out of space.) The downside is the remote control. It's a bit wonky; some users have trouble finding its touchpad in the dark, and others have reported that it can be laggy if it's too far away. And if you own an iPhone or iPad, you can pretty much get the Apple TV experience there. Apple now has a Roku app, too!

AndroidTV has been okay for a long time as long as you had an nVidia Shield external box, it's an amazing hardware piece and Google consulted with nVidia on how to improve Android 12 TV OS (coming soon) and the GoogleTV platform.

That's why as a non-Apple user I can't help but LOVE that this made me feel good about not having to get stuck with a Roku, Samsung, LG, or my least favorite, AMazon Fire "operating systems" on my TV or their crappy sticks.

Thing about this is, an Apple user can just as easily use GoogleTV as it can its own stuff.

If I search for a movie in Google search, I can mark "Watched", or "Add to Playlist\Watchlist", and see what all services that movie can be purchased on IMMEDIATELY, right there.

https://tv.google/

NYT Wirecutter recommends GoogleTV too

The Best Media Streaming Devices by New York Times WireCutter.

The worst part of their article? They don't mention the things I did above about AppleTV and GoogleTV being "ALL IN ONE" services that are almost universal.

I have to say, Google's search ability integrating into their service is a HUGE plus.

The review they give points out the most important thing for a Chromecast device, too: ANYTHING can stream to a Chromecast either through native apps or through a Chrome browser that casts.

I could stream AppleTV+ shows from my PC, using Chrome, to my Chromecast Ultras.

If you had a bad experience with Chromecast in the past, you probably had a regular one. I have used the 4k Ultra since it came out and never have had issues, all 4K playsp erfectly.

[qupte]The Chromecast supports virtually every major streaming service, with the only exception being Apple TV+. If there is a service you want to watch that Google doesnít support natively on the Chromecast, you can often stream it directly to the player from your computer or mobile device using the Cast option built into the app. But aside from Apple TV+, there wasnít a service we wanted to use that the Chromecast didnít offer.[/quote]

And AppleTV+ js now on Sony TVs using Android TV (soon to update to Google TV), and Google TV just got it too.

I can watch everything on my Google TV. In 4K. Perfectly.

I can't quit loving this guy's review -- it's not even from a Google fanboy, but I am so proud of Google making everything work so well that it isn't even CLOSE (Apple TV aside).

Quote:
If you happen to get your live TV service from YouTube TV, the Google TV interface adds a Live tab that integrates this service so you donít need to launch the app to see whatís on. This feature isnít proprietary to Google and its services; other streaming TV services, such as Sling TV, are working to integrate their content into the Google TV menu in the future.

I have multiple streaming devices hooked up to my main TV, representing every major platform, and I keep coming back to the Chromecast with Google TV because the interface makes it so much easier to find what I want to watch and offers superior recommendations.

Privacy and Security

The only two companies I trust with any of my data is Google and Apple.

For all the hate Google gets for "tracking", they really don't. They actually have the best transparency controls of anyone, even topping Apple. You have TOTAL control over everything.

Anyway, I wanted to post that for someone the other day and this was my chance to write it out since I had some time.

Rant over!!!
Old 03-04-2021, 07:30 PM   #82

Dec 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
Roku moving one step closer to becoming an advertising platform (and the privacy violations that come with it):

https://variety.com/2021/digital/new...ng-1234918532/

"Under the agreement, announced Monday, Roku will obtain Nielsenís video automatic content recognition (ACR) technology and dynamic ad insertion (DAI) system, which can replace ads in linear feeds with targeted, household-level spots on over-the-top streaming platforms."
See my latest post with the privacy information that they provide. OR rather LACK thereof.

Google's ability to track data yet give you TOTAL control is so different from the "evil" thing people think it is.

I just posted above a lot of info.

Privacy and Security https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...ty-and-privacy
Old 03-04-2021, 07:32 PM   #83

Dec 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjritter79 View Post
Both Roku & Amazon (Fire) have tried to monetize their platforms. A huge reason why both Peacock & HBO Max weren't available on either at the beginning....and as you implied, it's ALL about accessing/controlling data. Simply having a "portal" (app) means you forego any data accessed through that portal. However, if that SAME content can be commercialized (Roku on their "The Roku Channel") or added ads for Prime services, then the data follows dual paths and both sides benefit. R & A know despite current numbers that the streaming industry is moving to D2C (direct-to-consumer) services and one of the perks for making this move is control over the data that moves through your portal.

Nielsen is but a dinosaur who's yet to realize they have no place in this new business climate. They totally missed the boat on cable and they waited way too long for streaming. Nielsen is but a company whos claim to fame is "rating rankings" and that system was on its last legs in the 90's. TV has evolved beyond 3 networks fighting for prime time viewers and Nielsen has yet to grasp that the REAL measure of a programs success is not ratings, but ad revenue and exposure. It's why marginal shows such as DIY house fixer uppers and resell types have captured a niche audience and survived. They cater to a smaller demographic not only of an audience, but of advertisers looking to push their products specifically to THAT audience they can't find on prime time.

Anyone not using the GoogleTV just to try it out at a minimum is missing out. It's like $50 max.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:44 PM   #84
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonDubenshire View Post
See my latest post with the privacy information that they provide. OR rather LACK thereof.

Google's ability to track data yet give you TOTAL control is so different from the "evil" thing people think it is.
I don't share your trust in Google with regard to privacy. Yes, they have lots of controls (if you know where to find them), but they often use dark patterns to obscure what they really do, and they have been caught multiple times circumventing various privacy protections. Once they even "forgot" to tell users that some of their home devices have an inbuilt microphone. At its core, Google is an advertising company that heavily depends on profiling users.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:52 PM   #85
Special Member

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
USA

Quote:
[*]Apple TV can run any app. Roku's app is on it. Amazon is on it. Netflix and HBO Max, everything.
LOL, there is NO Roku app on the Apple TV or the Apple TV 4K.
Old 03-05-2021, 12:27 PM   #86
Special Member

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
USA

Quote:
Anyone not using the GoogleTV just to try it out at a minimum is missing out. It's like $50 max.
I'm just wondering how many TV OS's Google is going to "try out" before they settle on one and build upon it? Wasn't the Chromecast supposed to be that "thing" and what happened? They found it had so many limitations they scrapped it and came out with something different (Google TV). That doesn't build consumer confidence in either your product or brand...neither does licensing "Android TV" to everybody under the sun without actually developing a product yourself that uses it...until.....

And while I'm at it, I'm sure the WHOLE point of developing a "device" that is both underpowered for streaming and doesn't address the "future" of the platform like creating a direct-access standard (no direct-access keypad) and/or a hardware-based DVR to attract those who enjoy those identical features on cable/satellite for decades, are ONLY creating hardware that accomplishes ONE thing, capturing user data!

Until these concerns are addressed, there is a subsection of the American public (and i'm sure international users as well) will have ZERO incentive to jump to the streaming platform. They are too comfortable and content with the options cable/satellite have given them over the past decades. Obviously, they have the $$$ to afford this or they would have left already!
Thanks given by:
pab1219 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 01:06 PM   #87

Jan 2021

Apple TV 4K has every major app on release day and no ads. Hardware is also much snappier than Roku. If price is the issue there are better options than Roku.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:57 PM   #88

Dec 2016
SC

I have 2 Roku 4's and 2 Roku Ultras. I have had 2 Apple TV 4k's as well. At full retail prices the apple TV 4k is a fair value compared to the Roku ultra. When you can get three Roku Ultra's on black Friday for less than one Apple TV, to me it's impossible to justify the Apple TV. While they have differences I can't honestly say one is better than the other. We had both until the Roku got the Apple TV app and 80% of the time I went to the Roku. Once the Apple TV app came out for Roku I sold off the Apple TV 4ks
Old 03-05-2021, 04:03 PM   #89
Banned

Jul 2007
RM16, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpete View Post
I have 2 Roku 4's and 2 Roku Ultras. I have had 2 Apple TV 4k's as well. At full retail prices the apple TV 4k is a fair value compared to the Roku ultra. When you can get three Roku Ultra's on black Friday for less than one Apple TV, to me it's impossible to justify the Apple TV. While they have differences I can't honestly say one is better than the other. We had both until the Roku got the Apple TV app and 80% of the time I went to the Roku. Once the Apple TV app came out for Roku I sold off the Apple TV 4ks
Apple have limited the bit rates on non-ATV devices for 4K content which means you are not getting maximum quality like you get via ATV 4K box plus the lack of extras aka special features.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:14 PM   #90
Special Member

Aug 2013
TX

ATV and fire stick were my least favorite. We have Rokus on every TV, but have basically “switched” to Google TV. We now have Goolgle TV on every tv we use. There is at least one app Google doesn’t have yet, so we have to use Roku for that.

Still, I don’t care for all that extra stuff on my home screen or all the tabs. I prefer to jump into an app and not see all the things I can “pay for” on the main screens.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies