Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Batman 80th Anniversary Collection (iTunes)
$39.99

Batman 4 Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

Avengers: Endgame (iTunes)
$7.99

Guardians of the Galaxy (iTunes)
$7.99
1 day ago
Iron Man (iTunes)
$7.99

DC 7-Film Collection (iTunes)
$49.99

DC Universe 10th Anniversary Collection (iTunes)
$69.99

Doctor Strange (iTunes)
$7.99

Iron Man 2 (iTunes)
$7.99

Iron Man 3 (iTunes)
$7.99

The Dark Knight Trilogy (iTunes)
$19.99

Thor (iTunes)
$7.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 01-31-2018, 05:07 PM   #1
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England
Default What impact will 5G have on digital delivery of content to our home?

As the title says, will 5G fixed mobile broadband make a play for our homes and rival fibre? Or could we potentially just see 5G take over(mobile first landscape) and be restricted to watching occasional HD/4K cast from our phones when mobile broadband allows it due to unreliable connection or poor latency. It seems (in the UK at least) that companies are saddling up to rival fibre/cable with all in one 5G fixed mobile broadband and are trying to lure people into low cost packages but my fear is that these packages simply donít allow for 4K or high quality HD. Maybe people will be happy to stream SD on their tv or sacrifice their big screen to save money.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008

5G will not touch a direct Fiber connection. That latency is incredible and Wireless cannot touch this, the below image is from the fiber connection to my house.

Thanks given by:
cmleblanc (01-31-2018), lgans316 (02-04-2021), master gandhi (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 05:30 PM   #3
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
5G will not touch a direct Fiber connection. That latency is incredible and Wireless cannot touch this, the below image is from the fiber connection to my house.

I know it wonít. My question is more will it matter? Once folk see a cheaper all in one charge rather than separate mobile/broadband may they be tempted to cut the tv out and just stream in SD or low bit rate HD in their tablet/phone or even just persevere with SD on their 4K tv? I see that playing out as people seem to have stopped caring about quality.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

I thought I read that 5G might not be able to penetrate walls as well as 4G does, and as a result itíll be more for cars and outdoor stuff. But maybe thatís 5Ge (the precursor to full blown 5G).
Old 01-31-2018, 05:46 PM   #5
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gandhi View Post
I thought I read that 5G might not be able to penetrate walls as well as 4G does, and as a result it’ll be more for cars and outdoor stuff. But maybe that’s 5Ge (the precursor to full blown 5G).
Well, T mobile, BT etc are planning on moving ahead with mobile broadband I believe so we shall see.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:14 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
I thought I read that 5G might not be able to penetrate walls as well as 4G does, and as a result it’ll be more for cars and outdoor stuff. But maybe that’s 5Ge (the precursor to full blown 5G).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Well, T mobile, BT etc are planning on moving ahead with mobile broadband I believe so we shall see.
Wireless has been appealing to many people as a way to connect everything, and it certainly has it's uses, but for consistent High Bandwidth nothing beats FTTH. Even here in The States there is talk about government controlled Fixed 5G Wireless. I think there's a feeling it will cover everything, and like you said for Mobile and SD Streaming it's adequate. My feeling is for Quality UHD Streaming to your Home Theater Fiber is needed.

Last edited by alchav21; 01-31-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
Special Member

Aug 2013
TX

Quote:
I know it wonít. My question is more will it matter? Once folk see a cheaper all in one charge rather than separate mobile/broadband may they be tempted to cut the tv out and just stream in SD or low bit rate HD in their tablet/phone or even just persevere with SD on their 4K tv? I see that playing out as people seem to have stopped caring about quality.
As long as it will allow me to watch movies and shows on my watch, I will be happy.
Thanks given by:
huskerbear (02-02-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 09:11 PM   #8
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Wireless has been appealing to many people as a way to connect everything, and it certainly has it's uses, but for consistent High Bandwidth nothing beats FTTH. Even here in The States there is talk about government controlled Fixed 5G Wireless. I think the feeling is that is will cover everything, and like you said for Mobile and SD Streaming it's adequate. My feeling is for Quality UHD Streaming to your Home Theater Fiber is needed.
The question is, is there enough people interested in quality these days to maintain a fibre or broadband connection in the future? Will it be worthwhile to the industry I mean? Especially if a much weaker and far less capable mobile fixed broadband/mobile 2 in 1 offering is available. Doesnít cheap and cheerful win every race in the tech world?
Old 01-31-2018, 10:43 PM   #9
Special Member

Jul 2012
-
-
-

Quote:
The question is, is there enough people interested in quality these days to maintain a fibre or broadband connection in the future? Will it be worthwhile to the industry I mean? Especially if a much weaker and far less capable mobile fixed broadband/mobile 2 in 1 offering is available. Doesnít cheap and cheerful win every race in the tech world?
Let me know when the trend in average broadband speeds changes.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:56 PM   #10
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Nim View Post
Let me know when the trend in average broadband speeds changes.
I know what you are saying but 5G is meant to offer way faster speeds and be viable as a fixed mobile solution for the home. At that point, isn’t it just easier to switch to SD or HD rather than 4K and save money with a single fixed/mobile bill? I know most of us on here are home cinema fanatics but the mainstream are not.

That trend is there in black and white as you rightly linked to, BUT we will see a bigger push for 5G fixed wireless as a incentive for a double or triple play (phone, mobile, fixed) most people I imagine will be fine with tablets, smartphones unless we regress to SD TV sets. 4K won’t be viable with that setup but will it matter?

Last edited by Steedeel; 01-31-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:08 PM   #11
Special Member

Jul 2012
-
-
-

Quote:
I know what you are saying but 5G is meant to offer way faster speeds and be viable as a fixed mobile solution for the home. At that point, isnít it just easier to switch to SD or HD rather than 4K and save money with a single fixed/mobile bill? I know most of us on here are home cinema fanatics but the mainstream are not.

That trend is there in black and white as you rightly linked to, BUT we will see a bigger push for 5G fixed wireless as a incentive for a double or triple play (phone, mobile, fixed) most people I imagine will be fine with tablets, smartphones unless we regress to SD TV sets. 4K wonít be viable with that setup but will it matter?
5G should offer faster speeds than now and be a cheaper, more viable solution that accelerates high-speed adoption. But you suggest that will have people use the internet less, and that the companies want people to use it less by overcharging. That's illogical and doesn't even square with internet and mobile history.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:15 PM   #12
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Nim View Post
5G should offer faster speeds than now and be a cheaper, more viable solution that accelerates high-speed adoption. But you suggest that will have people use the internet less, and that the companies want people to use it less by overcharging. That's illogical and doesn't even square with internet and mobile history.
No, Iím saying they will use their TV set less and rely on SD streaming to their phone or tablet. Maybe with a monthly allowance to watch X number of shows on a big screen or potentially not bother at all with the tv. In the U.K., I believe T Mobile (also a US company) may offer a 4G fixed mobile service in preparation for a 5G rollout. Those type of offerings wonít stretch to dozens of HD shows per month. People might think ĎI donít want to pay for broadband and mobile, I want one bill.í If that means just streaming SD on phones or tablets, I believe they will do that. Thatís when the trend gathers momentum at the expense of fibre/fixed broadband.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:48 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
It seems (in the UK at least) that companies are saddling up to rival fibre/cable with all in one 5G fixed mobile broadband and are trying to lure people into low cost packages but my fear is that these packages simply don’t allow for 4K or high quality HD. Maybe people will be happy to stream SD on their tv or sacrifice their big screen to save money.
What a strange premise. First of all, it is not clear at all if fixed mobile broadband will try to compete in areas that already have adequate fixed access. It is primarily envisioned as a way to provide fast Internet in areas where fixed access is too expensive. Second, even if it did, do you think the fixed access providers will just roll over and die? Of course not. If anything, the increased competition will push prices down. At least here in the US this would be a godsent, since the big ISPs such as Comcast are today enjoying (and exploiting) quasi-monopolies in many markets.

Quote:
It depends. 5G opens up additional frequency bands, but it can also be used on similar bands as the existing systems. The frequency primarily determines how good the building penetration is. For fixed mobile broadband, the carriers are primarily looking at millimeter wave. These are very high frequencies of 28GHz or higher. They have very bad building penetration and generally require line-of-sight, but on the other hand have enormous capacity due to the width of the available frequency bands. Fixed mobile broadband will in most cases use antennas mounted to an outside wall or roof.
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 12:07 AM   #14
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
What a strange premise. First of all, it is not clear at all if fixed mobile broadband will try to compete in areas that already have adequate fixed access. It is primarily envisioned as a way to provide fast Internet in areas where fixed access is too expensive. Second, even if it did, do you think the fixed access providers will just roll over and die? Of course not. If anything, the increased competition will push prices down. At least here in the US this would be a godsent, since the big ISPs such as Comcast are today enjoying (and exploiting) quasi-monopolies in many markets.

It depends. 5G opens up additional frequency bands, but it can also be used on similar bands as the existing systems. The frequency primarily determines how good the building penetration is. For fixed mobile broadband, the carriers are primarily looking at millimeter wave. These are very high frequencies of 28GHz or higher. They have very bad building penetration and generally require line-of-sight, but on the other hand have enormous capacity due to the width of the available frequency bands. Fixed mobile broadband will in most cases use antennas mounted to an outside wall or roof.
Fixed access would compete yes, but they don’t have the full set of playing cards as in being able to offer mobile as well. They also don’t have access to 4G which would be used as backup in case 5G signals are struggling or lost.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:26 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
I know what you are saying but 5G is meant to offer way faster speeds and be viable as a fixed mobile solution for the home. At that point, isnít it just easier to switch to SD or HD rather than 4K and save money with a single fixed/mobile bill? I know most of us on here are home cinema fanatics but the mainstream are not.

That trend is there in black and white as you rightly linked to, BUT we will see a bigger push for 5G fixed wireless as a incentive for a double or triple play (phone, mobile, fixed) most people I imagine will be fine with tablets, smartphones unless we regress to SD TV sets. 4K wonít be viable with that setup but will it matter?
Old 02-01-2018, 01:53 AM   #16
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Atlanta

Don't we have this same "people will dump their TVs for watches" discussion every few years? I swear I am having deja vu and still not understanding the logic. Wasn't something other than 5g the premise last time? *shrug*
Thanks given by:
bubba111 (02-01-2018), flyry (02-01-2018), master gandhi (02-01-2018), nugent (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 03:00 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Sahuarita, AZ

Unfortunately I don't expect 5G to have that big of an impact here in the US, not with our current mobile telecom companies.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:19 AM   #18
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Nope. If anything, gamers alone will keep fixed wired internet connections a viable infrastructure... and there are A LOT of gamers out there these days! There is no way in hell that gamers will risk experiencing more lag/latency than they already do. If they donít experience any already, do you think theyíll risk starting to experience some? Gamers are pretty hardcore and are ALWAYS looking to improve their internet connections. ANY wireless option is NOT an option for them.
Thanks given by:
bubba111 (02-01-2018), master gandhi (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #19
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyry View Post
Iím not saying they will, I just mean that would be the only way to watch tv with a fixed mobile broadband connection.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:44 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
Iím not saying they will, I just mean that would be the only way to watch tv with a fixed mobile broadband connection.
Yes we're all gonna go look for SD TV's in garbage dumps and goodwills so we can watch TV in the era of 5G
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies