Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
RahXephon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99
1 day ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49

S-CRY-ed: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$51.74
8 hrs ago
Goblin Slayer: Goblin's Crown (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Infinite Dendrogram: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$65.37

Chihayafuru: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$59.99
1 day ago
Knights of Sidonia: Complete Series Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99

KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World!: The Complete Second Season & OVA (Blu-ray)
$44.60
8 hrs ago
Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

One Piece: Season 11 Voyage 3 (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Grisaia: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 05-04-2020, 05:56 PM   #21
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

Old 05-05-2020, 06:21 PM   #22
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

Blu-ray Volume 1 releasing 6/30:
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Demon...dition-Blu-ray

Blu-ray Volume 2 releasing 11/24:
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Demon...dition-Blu-ray

Funimation will be releasing a standard edition in September 2020 and January 2021.
Thanks given by:
zenpai (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 06:39 PM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2015
Alabama

Hopefully the Funimation releases will use the same Blu-ray discs, just without the CDs and extra swag.

I like having nice looking sets on my shelf, but when it's $80~ for both Funimation sets versus $260 for the Aniplex editions... yeah.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:05 PM   #24

Jun 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsteam View Post
Hopefully the Funimation releases will use the same Blu-ray discs, just without the CDs and extra swag.

I like having nice looking sets on my shelf, but when it's $80~ for both Funimation sets versus $260 for the Aniplex editions... yeah.
It's possible that Funimation would re-author the discs to lock the subtitles during playback (and change the font to match Funi's existing releases), and also to translate the credits to English (the norm for most Funimation titles), unless Aniplex asks Funimation to leave the credits in Japanese.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2015
Alabama

As long as the quality is the same then that's all that will matter. If for some dumb reason the Funimation discs look worse then I won't bother buying the show. I can't imagine why it would go that way though. Funimation is capable of doing a good job when they want to.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:20 PM   #26
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCondor93 View Post
It's possible that Funimation would re-author the discs to lock the subtitles during playback (and change the font to match Funi's existing releases), and also to translate the credits to English (the norm for most Funimation titles), unless Aniplex asks Funimation to leave the credits in Japanese.
I prefer English Credits on the Openings and Closing songs but I absolutely hate locked Subtitles. But Funimation is actually no stranger to using Japanese Credits. Rare yes but Funimation has done it a few times.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:38 PM   #27

Jun 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
I prefer English Credits on the Openings and Closing songs but I absolutely hate locked Subtitles. But Funimation is actually no stranger to using Japanese Credits. Rare yes but Funimation has done it a few times.
Usually, that's either due to licensor request or Funimation not receiving textless credits. Either way, whenever Japanese credits are used in recent releases, Funimation would have translated credits at the end of each episode in a similar manner to Sentai's releases (except that the credits aren't scrolling).

I'm actually on the other end of the spectrum and prefer Japanese credits, but to each their own, I guess, but I share your opinion on locked subtitles. At one point, I actively avoided locked subtitle releases, but now, I only get them if either there's no other option, the unlocked subtitle release has more than a few problems with subtitle timing, the UK release with locked subtitles has a Collector's Edition to make it worthwhile, or I like the show/movie, but not enough to go for a Japanese/AoA release (if they're the only release with unlocked subtitles).

Sorry, I went a bit off-topic.

Last edited by BlackCondor93; 05-05-2020 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Pointing out that I was a little bit off-topic.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:45 PM   #28
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2019

I heard this one is good, got to get around to seeing it one of these days.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:59 AM   #29
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsteam View Post
As long as the quality is the same then that's all that will matter. If for some dumb reason the Funimation discs look worse then I won't bother buying the show. I can't imagine why it would go that way though. Funimation is capable of doing a good job when they want to.
Part of me expects the same discs to be used but another part says that they won't be.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:12 AM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2015
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
Part of me expects the same discs to be used but another part says that they won't be.
The announcement didn't really specify if the standard editions are going to be from Funimation or if they're Aniplex releases being distributed by Funimation. Most Aniplex releases are RS exclusives and having a release more widely distributed would produce better sales, so I could see why they'd let Funimation handle those while keeping the more limited packaging versions exclusive.

If they're by Funimation then the discs will probably be different but I don't see why the image quality would be tinkered with. Add your forced subs and English credits sure, but if you're going to Funi-up the transfer then you might as well not bother.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:33 AM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

Quote:
Truly a collector’s item for any diehard Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba fan, the Limited Edition Blu-ray comes with a bevy of exclusive bonuses including audio commentary from both the Japanese and English cast, illustration card set, special booklet, plus three soundtrack CDs featuring the breathtaking music by Go Shiina. The English dubbed version of the special preview videos at the end of each episode are also only available on the Blu-ray.
From the product listing, sounds like the limited edition set discs and the standard edition discs won’t be the same. There’s all those on disc extras that will be exclusive to the LE. The limited edition is on 3 discs, I suspect the standard will be over the traditional 2 discs. I think what we will see is the usual Aniplex release and the typical Funi release. One will have everything, the other just the show and maybe a clean op and ed.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:48 AM   #32
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by themp3000 View Post
From the product listing, sounds like the limited edition set discs and the standard edition discs won’t be the same. There’s all those on disc extras that will be exclusive to the LE. The limited edition is on 3 discs, I suspect the standard will be over the traditional 2 discs. I think what we will see is the usual Aniplex release and the typical Funi release. One will have everything, the other just the show and maybe a clean op and ed.
The Aniplex release genuinely seems worth it to me. The packaging and included extras are easily worth an extra $60-$70. The first volume looks simply gorgeous. Having the Japanese volumes art included in art card form is great, I wish more companies did that. There's so much beautiful artwork that goes unused on North American releases.

I am happy that Demon Slayer will be available to fans who can't afford/don't want to pay Aniplex prices. This is the kind of series that shouldn't be hidden behind a big price tag like most Aniplex releases are. Demon Slayer deserves all the exposure it can get so the series can continue to thrive. This partnership is very smart. It works out for everyone.
Thanks given by:
Raye (05-06-2020), zenpai (05-06-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 03:22 AM   #33
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

Better quality shot of the packaging

Thanks given by:
IdeaOfEvil (05-07-2020), lunamaria87 (05-07-2020), mackjones76 (07-11-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 04:14 AM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

That looks ridiculously pretty. I can’t wait.
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 06:23 PM   #35
Expert Member

Oct 2014

That looks gorgeous!!! And pre-ordered! I wish there were more extras, however, the soundtracks, artbox, and packing make up for that. Plus AoA always has amazing LEs and disc authoring
Old 05-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
USA

It is indeed beautiful. Pretty sure I’ll have to place an order.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:44 PM   #37
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

Demon Slayer Manga Ends, Short Spinoff Series Planned

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...lanned/.159608
Old 05-17-2020, 11:30 PM   #38
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
US

I enjoyed the ending of the manga for the most part. Don't have much interest in the spin-off though. Would be cool to see if the anime will ever cover the whole story but I doubt it.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:50 PM   #39
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundamcero View Post
I enjoyed the ending of the manga for the most part. Don't have much interest in the spin-off though. Would be cool to see if the anime will ever cover the whole story but I doubt it.
I can't believe Shonen Jump let it end as soon as it blew up in popularity. Though I am happy it won't be one of those series that gets dragged out, like Naruto did.
Old 05-17-2020, 11:57 PM   #40
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
I can't believe Shonen Jump let it end as soon as it blew up in popularity. Though I am happy it won't be one of those series that gets dragged out, like Naruto did.
I mean it is what the author intended. I prefer series that end when they should. Most go on way to long.
Thanks given by:
rashad30 (05-18-2020), zenpai (05-17-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime