Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
RahXephon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99
1 day ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49

S-CRY-ed: The Complete TV Series (Blu-ray)
$51.74
8 hrs ago
Goblin Slayer: Goblin's Crown (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Infinite Dendrogram: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$65.37

Chihayafuru: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$59.99
1 day ago
Knights of Sidonia: Complete Series Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99

KonoSuba: God's Blessing on This Wonderful World!: The Complete Second Season & OVA (Blu-ray)
$44.60
8 hrs ago
Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

One Piece: Season 11 Voyage 3 (Blu-ray)
$33.49

Grisaia: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 10-03-2020, 04:35 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Washington State
Default The Garden of Words (re-release) - Dec 08, 2020

It should be a new disc, as according to the rear cover art it includes Spanish audio and subtitles where were lacking on the original release. Hopefully Sentai will take the opportunity to improve the video encode like they did with their 2016 re-release of Children Who Chase Lost Voices...
Thanks given by:
CrisMVP3200 (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 05:07 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Pretty much all of Sentai's re-releases over the last few years have had brand new discs, it's rare for them to re-use discs. They also will redo the credits, resulting in changes to the people credited for each position. Maiden Japan re-releases have also had new discs, but some re-used the credits from the original releases (Ex: Den-noh Coil, Royal Space Force). You can still tell they're new discs from the new ads and the Disc Credits section which they brought back in November 2018 (it was last seen in late 2014).

This should have improvements from the size of the subs, tweaking them to remove typos and errors, and the video quality. The old disc was authored by David Williams who authored most of Sentai's most problematic discs (Ex: Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, Colorful: The Motion Picture, Penguindrum, Kids on the Slope, all of these, and did I mention nearly every static BD menu had compression artifacts?). Once Joel McCray took over sometime in 2014, things improved quite a bit. He's done pretty much every release since, though as of the past few months, all Sentai releases are now authored by him and Ryan Anthony.
[Show spoiler]

tl;dr Pick up the re-release for anything that was previously authored by DLW, that includes this.

Last edited by BigOnAnime; 10-03-2020 at 05:29 AM.
Thanks given by:
svenge (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #3

Dec 2008

Still hope the steelbook release comes out some day
Old 10-04-2020, 06:58 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Well, Sentai is being stupid like they have been, and are losslessly encoding the commentaries, as well as the Spanish dub. I can see having the Spanish dub being lossless, I doubt many would listen to it, but for Spanish speakers, it's nice, but I take issue with the commentaries being in lossless DTS-HD MA 2.0 which is a waste. Have it be lossy audio, either in Dolby Digital or even lossy DTS. A bitrate of 192, 224, 256 or 320 kbps is much better than the 2 mbps they'll encode this. Plus, when Sentai does do lossless stereo, they still do it badly, with a 1.5 mbps DTS core when I can assure you, it does not need to have a minimum of 1.5 mbps at ALL times. I mean, they end up being around 2.1 or 2.2 mbps in most cases as an average, so why not just do LPCM 2.0 in the end? Honestly, there's zero reason not to use LPCM if the audio is in mono or stereo.

So, Sentai encodes a 5.1 track at 24-bit at around 4.5 mbps, so let's add 2 together (JP+ENG) and that's at 9 mbps of an allotted 48, and, and oh no, we've eaten into the 40 mbps allowed for video, but only by 1 mbps, so it's not a big deal whatsoever, but if we add in another 4.5 mbps, that makes the new total 13.5 mbps, so now we're up to a total possible video bitrate of 34.5 mbps, but they're being stupid and losslessly encoding f**king commentaries, so add in another 4 mbps, and we get 30.5 mbps as a max video rate, which is pathetic as a max bitrate, but, seeing as Sentai barely optimize their discs at all (their bitrates are piss poor and barely spike at all into the 30s), I guess it's okay? So, I'm willing to bet that the overall video bitrate will only be slightly higher than the older release. Though, bitrate means jack sh*t if the settings are bad, and I believe they'll be good this time, so there's hope.

But, in short, if you want the best release, get either the JP BD with a maxed out LPCM 5.1 audio mix, or the Italian Dynit release with the highest video bitrate out there... or both, and leave Sentai behind... the JP BD has English subs, so just get that. (I remember sampling the English dub, and oh boy was it terrible like pretty much all Sentai and modern dubs are)
Old 10-04-2020, 07:06 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

I've not watched the movie yet, but that dub was from that time period Sentai had a reputation for having not very many good dubs, to the point it was brought up on ANNCast before or something. A large number of them were done by Steven Foster who likely suffered from burnout, and ultimately retired from the industry in 2014. Though he explained he didn't care for the phoenix that rose from ADV's ashes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Foster
Ha-ha. Iíd love to say follow my passion but it was more like a survival tactic. More than anything though it was time to go. Maybe one day Iíll talk in more detail about it. But itís pretty personal and a little raw. And Iím about to bare enough of my soul with this new venture. I was never a Tweeter or Instagrammer. Iím not a big public speaker. Well, looks like Iím about to be. All of that and more. And you know what? Thatís okay. This is my path. ADV/Seraphim have theirs. Am I happy they phoenixed? Of course. I just didnít care much for the bird that emerged from the fire.
https://www.animeherald.com/2014/09/...ntai-filmworks
Old 10-04-2020, 03:33 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011
The hurricane state

"Steven Foster". Now that's a cancer cell that was out of my body for a while. He retired that long ago?

I'd say good riddance, but I haven't heard any new Sentai dubs for many years to judge any performance gains. Well, except for maybe that dub for the Chunnibyou anime, but that was maybe a one-or-two episode browse. Have no real impression on 'em, other than "Brittany Karbowski really can't hit those high notes".
Old 12-31-2020, 02:18 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Washington State

Anyone pick up the re-release to see if the video got fixed or not?
Thanks given by:
AreaFive (03-19-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 04:00 PM   #8
Expert Member

Apr 2011

I am interested in knowing if this got a noticeable fix as well, video-wise.
Thanks given by:
AreaFive (03-19-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 01:19 AM   #9

Sep 2020

I am also interested in if it got fixed or not.
Thanks given by:
AreaFive (03-19-2021)
Old 02-24-2021, 05:03 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Some stuff on The Garden of Words' re-release. No comparison from me because I don't know yet how to do it (also, ripping discs isn't ideal right now as I'm having issues with my laptop-I can't read/write to my internal HDD, I can only use external or else my laptop freezes up, and I have to hold down the power button, even when attempting to shutdown or restart). Full English staff changes can be seen on the ANN page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid9000
I think we tweaked a couple lines in the Japanese commentary and I translated one missing caption from the film itself (also in the storyboard extra). Not a whole lot, but an improvement over the previous release. We try to perfect it as much as possible each time!
https://twitter.com/zoid9000/status/1364440765368131586

He was the supervising translator on this release. Also the subs aren't hilariously huge anymore.
Thanks given by:
CrimsonCobalt (02-28-2021), professorwho (02-24-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 11:56 AM   #11
Power Member

Mar 2019

Hopefully Sentai re-release Children Who Chase Lost Voices.
Old 03-19-2021, 12:50 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

I wouldn't count on it given the license expired almost 2 years ago. They either were unable to renew the rights because they were blocked, or they didn't find it financially viable to renew it. The Sentai Selects re-release was already an improvement over the old release by putting the extras on their own separate disc to make more room, and making the subtitles smaller.
Old 03-19-2021, 01:05 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2013
Netherlands

The Anime Limited UK port of the Sentai Selects BD is region free.
Thanks given by:
svenge (03-24-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 01:45 PM   #14
Power Member

May 2020
Florida

I wasn't even aware the previous release had video issues. I would also be interested in a comparison.
Thanks given by:
Pi905 (03-23-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 12:33 PM   #15

Sep 2020

Which version of the bluray is region-free? The UK port?
Old 04-14-2021, 03:22 AM   #16

Apr 2021

Really like the presentation on the new BD; recently read the LN, which is filled with enough content to have made TGoW into a 2-hour film, and watched it twice in a row afterward thanks to its short length (once subbed and then again right after with the commentary). Really interesting how many "questions" in the commentary were basically answered by the LN. Though I wish we got the CD from the Japanese version and a slipcover like that version, since Sentai at least appeared to start selectively using them on some of their releases. Still undecided on whether to import the Japanese version too for the CD and slip, or whether to forget the CD and print my own Sentai-themed slip.
Old 04-14-2021, 03:56 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Sentai mainly does slipcovers for certain SteelBooks and anything that required multiple cases. Maybe it would have gotten one if the SteelBook hadn't gotten cancelled.

Sentai/Section23 non-SteelBook releases with slipcovers:
-Devil Survivor 2: The Animation
-Hayate the Combat Butler! Ultimate Collection (2 thick cases)
-Mardock Scramble Trilogy
-Ninja Scroll (2015 release)
-Orphen 2009 DVD (2 stackpak cases)
-Patlabor (Maiden Japan 2020 release with 2 thick cases)
-Saiyuki (AEsir Media 2013 release, 2 stackpak cases)
-Short Peace (slipcover is wrongly sized (I fixed that by giving my copy a red Vortex case which is slightly thicker), hence the (bad) decision to put 2 stickers to keep things in place)
-Why the Hell Are You Here Teacher?!
-World Trigger (2 thick cases)

Historically they've rarely done slipcovers going back to the ADV days, like one of the only ADV releases with them that comes to mind are the singles for Le Chevalier D'Eon. Then there were the 2009 re-releases of Full Metal Panic! S1/Fumoffu, Kiba, RahXephon, and Saiyuki. The Platinum singles for Neon Genesis Evangelion also got slipboxes.

Last edited by BigOnAnime; 04-14-2021 at 04:02 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime