Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Glass (iTunes)
$4.99

Unbreakable (iTunes)
$4.99

Jurassic Park (iTunes)
$4.99

Kingsman: The Secret Service (iTunes)
$4.99

Do the Right Thing (iTunes)
$4.99

The Hateful Eight (iTunes)
$4.99

Kingsman 2 Movie Collection (iTunes)
$19.98

Die Hard with a Vengeance (iTunes)
$4.99

DC 7-Film Collection (iTunes)
$49.99

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (iTunes)
$7.99

Frozen II (iTunes)
$9.99

Top Gun (iTunes)
$7.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 11-26-2020, 06:38 AM   #1
Special Member

Jul 2012
Weirwood Network
Amazon Amazon Fire tv framerates

Hey guys, does anyone know if apps like hulu,criterion channel, hbomax,and shudder stream their movies at 24fps?

Last edited by andantelise; 11-27-2020 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-27-2020, 05:36 AM   #2
Power Member

Jul 2018

The Fire Stick and all recent FireTV models have Match Original Frame Rate. I know for sure it detects 23.97 and 24fps within the Prime Video, Netflix, and Apple TV apps depending on the content (TV shows and European/British stuff tend to be a mix of 29.97 or 25fps/50hz). The thing is several apps (mainly older ones) wont work properly with the Match Mode unless they did updates for them with recent Fire TV models. With new apps coming out, maybe they would detect the correct frame rates depending on how the apps were engineered.

I know for a fact that Hulu and Shudder (despite having loads of 23.97 content and some TV stuff at 29.97) always output 60hz with most devices including Fire TV (though the Apple TV 4th Gen as well as the Nvidia Shield TV can force them to output at 24hz modes). That may have changed with recent updates to the apps, but don't be surprised if those updates didn't pertain to acknowledge Match Frame Rate mode.

HBOMax and Disney + have the majority of content at 24fps with some TV stuff at 29.97. They might have engineered the Fire versions of the apps to be like Hulu and not adjust to other frame rate modes, but give it a try.

Criterion Channel has some content output through Vimeo, and the Viemo Fire app usually encodes and presents at the correct frame rates, so Fire TV shouldn't have issues with such on the Criterion app.
Thanks given by:
andantelise (11-27-2020)
Old 11-27-2020, 06:26 AM   #3
Special Member

Jul 2012
Weirwood Network
Amazon

Thanks for the help. I've switched on the Match Frame Rate setting on,but only seems to convert prime and prime video channels. Any app, including the Criterion Channel; HBO Max; and Hulu, seem to me to be outputting as 60, as the matching frame that appeara before each movie begins, doesn't appear on those apps.

Last edited by andantelise; 11-27-2020 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-16-2020, 08:38 PM   #4
Expert Member

Aug 2009

I don't get 24p off Youtube on my Firestick, but I think that's a limtiation of the Youtube app. The ps4 is the only Youtube app I have in which 24p plays without that same kind of judder you get if you turn off 24p support on a BD player.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:34 PM   #5
Power Member

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
I don't get 24p off Youtube on my Firestick, but I think that's a limtiation of the Youtube app. The ps4 is the only Youtube app I have in which 24p plays without that same kind of judder you get if you turn off 24p support on a BD player.
Which PS4 model and update do you have on it? Last I used mine, it won't detect or force 24p output on apps. I do know of a trick on the Sony UBP-X800 where if you watch a 24p video/movie on the Prime Video app, hit the back button to the title menu on PV and then hit the home button on the UBP's remote (do not hit the back button and exit the app), the UBP-X800 menu (which is always is 60hz) will be in 24p. This will allow one to use the YT app at 24p and will remain in that mode until you exit the YT app, use a different app, or power off the unit. Vudu generates it's own menu UIs with a set 60hz mode, but will instruct the UBP to play owned titles that are 24p encoded. Hulu won't work with this method as it generates it's own UI screens unlike the YT and PV apps.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:53 AM   #6
Expert Member

Aug 2009

the ps4 doesn't output Youtube in 24p. but it does do a pretty decent non-jerky conversion output, similar to Disney+. At this point I've yet to find a Youtube app anywhere that outputs in 24p.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies