Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Edward Scissorhands (iTunes)
$4.99
7 hrs ago
Dexter, The Complete Series (iTunes)
$29.99
3 hrs ago
Batman 80th Anniversary Collection (iTunes)
$39.99

Guardians of the Galaxy (iTunes)
$7.99

Batman 4 Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

Iron Man (iTunes)
$7.99

Avengers: Endgame (iTunes)
$7.99

Saw - 8 Film Collection - Unrated (iTunes)
$24.99
6 hrs ago
DC 7-Film Collection (iTunes)
$49.99

DC Universe 10th Anniversary Collection (iTunes)
$69.99

Doctor Strange (iTunes)
$7.99

Mrs. Doubtfire (iTunes)
$4.99
6 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 03-03-2021, 07:53 PM   #21

Feb 2010
United States

HDTVTest did a Dolby Vision streaming vs HDR10 4K Blu-ray Disc comparison:

- Dolby Vision stream’s Average Picture Level (APL) is slightly brighter, creating clearer shadow detail

- More compression artifacts/macroblocking up-close on Dolby Vision stream, but unlikely to be noticed from normal viewing distance

- Posterization in a handful of dark scenes on Dolby Vision stream

- In brighter sequences, specular highlights and detail look similar on both formats

- 4K blu-ray appears slightly darker, probably because it only has one static HDR tone curve for the whole movie, compared to frame-by-frame dynamic metadata with the Dolby Vision stream

- The Dolby Vision stream is able to preserve a bit more detail in bright highlights, like the sun

- Dark scenes generally look brighter and clearer in the Dolby Vision stream

- Both Dolby Vision streaming and HDR-10 4K UHD have their strengths and weaknesses

- Out of the 6 movies he sampled, only 1 (Empire Strikes Back) he preferred on HDR-10 Disc, due to the low 600nit peak brightness of that film’s HDR grading. The rest was preferable on Disney+ streaming

OP, that should answer your question about whether a 4K stream is preferable to an HDR10 4K UHD disc, let alone a standard Blu-ray Disc.

Last edited by cleeve; 03-03-2021 at 08:37 PM.
Thanks given by:
cmay91472 (03-03-2021), PopNLock (03-04-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 11:16 PM   #22
Special Member

Dec 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeve View Post
HDTVTest did a Dolby Vision streaming vs HDR10 4K Blu-ray Disc comparison:

https://youtu.be/XbN00Sm0Bsg

- Dolby Vision stream’s Average Picture Level (APL) is slightly brighter, creating clearer shadow detail

- More compression artifacts/macroblocking up-close on Dolby Vision stream, but unlikely to be noticed from normal viewing distance

- Posterization in a handful of dark scenes on Dolby Vision stream

- In brighter sequences, specular highlights and detail look similar on both formats

- 4K blu-ray appears slightly darker, probably because it only has one static HDR tone curve for the whole movie, compared to frame-by-frame dynamic metadata with the Dolby Vision stream

- The Dolby Vision stream is able to preserve a bit more detail in bright highlights, like the sun

- Dark scenes generally look brighter and clearer in the Dolby Vision stream

- Both Dolby Vision streaming and HDR-10 4K UHD have their strengths and weaknesses

- Out of the 6 movies he sampled, only 1 (Empire Strikes Back) he preferred on HDR-10 Disc, due to the low 600nit peak brightness of that film’s HDR grading. The rest was preferable on Disney+ streaming

OP, that should answer your question about whether a 4K stream is preferable to an HDR10 4K UHD disc, let alone a standard Blu-ray Disc.
Curious how 4K streaming HDR compares to 4K HDR disc. Many of us have projectors so the Dolby Vision isn’t applicable, so how would those Dolby Vision titles compare when played back via 4K HDR streaming instead of 4K Dolby Vision when compared to disc.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:12 AM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post
Curious how 4K streaming HDR compares to 4K HDR disc. Many of us have projectors so the Dolby Vision isn’t applicable, so how would those Dolby Vision titles compare when played back via 4K HDR streaming instead of 4K Dolby Vision when compared to disc.
If you use a projector, HDR is pretty much irrelevant for you since consumer projectors don't have the nits to properly display it (thats why no projector manufacturer bothers with DV). For us projector users the detail level and compression quality is more important, since faults are more visible on a big screen.

BTW, this Youtube video should be taken with a grain of salt. HDR can look significantly different on different equipment, since every manufacturer uses their own tone mapping. Dolby Vision can also have equipment-related issues (e.g. remember the elevated black levels that some TVs show when DV is used). I also don't like that he picked only newer CGI-heavy movies and the DNR-infested Empire Strikes Back disc. For a real comparison, some film-based movies with grain should also be used.

Last edited by Fiffy; 03-04-2021 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:07 AM   #24
Special Member

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
For a real comparison, some film-based movies with grain should also be used.
That's debatable, film based with grain would mean older than 2010, and that means the HDR is more artificial....like the HDTV Test example TESB. I still think the better HDR is that which is added "natively" via a digital camera during filming. Remastering existing films and adding HDR may be fine to show off your more modern equipment, but its NEVER going to generate the same nits....simply because of the older source material.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:36 AM   #25
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjritter79 View Post
That's debatable, film based with grain would mean older than 2010, and that means the HDR is more artificial....like the HDTV Test example TESB. I still think the better HDR is that which is added "natively" via a digital camera during filming. Remastering existing films and adding HDR may be fine to show off your more modern equipment, but its NEVER going to generate the same nits....simply because of the older source material.
UHD is not just about HDR, even though the Youtube guy mainly focuses on that. In fact, for me personally it's not important at all since I almost always use my projector to watch movies (the more cinematic experience is much more important for me than HDR, which is often merely used as a gimmick). I just don't think the movies he used are suitable to judge detail levels and compression.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (03-04-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 02:37 AM   #26
Special Member

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
UHD is not just about HDR, even though the Youtube guy mainly focuses on that. In fact, for me personally it's not important at all since I almost always use my projector to watch movies (the more cinematic experience is much more important for me than HDR, which is often merely used as a gimmick). I just don't think the movies he used are suitable to judge detail levels and compression.
Precisely, which is WHY I didn't mention UHD at all even though it was originally applied ONLY to 4K content. Recently HDR has been applied to HD (1080) content and devices as well.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies