Best 3D Blu-ray Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Wonder Woman 1984 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99
 
The Croods: A New Age 3D (Blu-ray)
$36.99
1 day ago
How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.33
 
Clash of the Titans 3D / Wrath of the Titans 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.10
1 day ago
Rise of the Guardians 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.00
 
Amazing Ocean 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.09
 
Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.58
 
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99
 
The Legend of Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.96
 
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99
 
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 3D (Blu-ray)
$5.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2021, 11:51 PM   #1
qw0aszx qw0aszx is offline
Expert Member
 
qw0aszx's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
China
4
1190
44
34
China A Writer's Odyssey (2021) 3D

Among the blockbusters opened at this year’s Chinese new year, this action fantasy film is the only live action one released in 3D. I had high hopes for this because director Lu Yang and cinematography Han Qiming once mentioned 3D in the audio commentary of Brotherhood of Blades 2, saying they studied 3D and understand cinematography would be completely different if they made a 3D film, not just shooting in the same style and then converted in the post. So even A Writer’s Odyssey is a converted 3D title, I believe the collaboration between these two would not disappoint me.

So I went to a IMAX3D showing (the IMAX showings of this film was hard to find because all cinemas gave almost all IMAX showings to the 2D film Detective Chinatown 3) but was told the equipment went wrong and they could only project the right eye image. So I was forced to watch the whole film in 2D. Apparently the native shot image was used for the left eye image, because the right eye image I saw have many blurs and deformations on the edge of objects caused by the conversion. But even watching the 2D image, I can easily tell the whole film was shot in the 3D method. The lenses, compositions and camera movements were all designed to enhance the 3D experience. Not to say the film itself is quite entertaining and never felt too messy or overdone even with several shortcomings. So I immediately want to watch it again in 3D.

Then I went to a regular 3D showing (IMAX3D showings went down to only one in the whole city the second day and I couldn’t made to that one sadly) the next day to check the quality of 3D and it’s quite impressive! The convertion itself is decent enough, adding the cinematography done in 3D method and the extensive special effects part which rendered in 3D natively, making this the best 3D experience I had in cinema recently! Strong depths and rich layered space run through the whole film, pop ups never felt overdone and super effectively used. My favorite was the lantern dragon shot, the 3D was done so aggressively to show its deterrence. The aspect ratio changes also gave 3D a better chance to show itself (the film shifts between 2.35:1 and 1.85:1, the regular version have this too while IMAX version have several more 2.35:1 scenes opened up to 1.90:1), I especially love those shots when the protagonist first arrive at the city Chongqing, 1.9:1 composition and 3D truly present its unique city space.

This is one rare modern film that I’m dying to own a 3D blu-ray to watch this in 3D again at home (the last one was Tsui Hark’s Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings, had to buy a Germany blu-ray to see it in 3D again) but sadly I think the chances are slim. The biggest hope is probably some German distributors to pick it up and release it in 3D blu-ray.


EDIT: Disk Kino announced they will release this film, from the promotion picture you can tell a UHD is included, but sadly no 3D blu-ray logo.

Last edited by qw0aszx; 04-09-2021 at 03:48 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
3disciple (02-16-2021), Biss Skyler Bluray (02-14-2021), BleedOrange11 (02-14-2021), Box for Pee-wee (02-14-2021), br3ttD (02-14-2021), Joe D. (02-15-2021), kurosawa (02-14-2021), marchorner (02-14-2021), MercurySeven (02-14-2021), Mobe1969 (02-15-2021), Paul H (02-15-2021), philsfan (02-14-2021), RickStar (02-14-2021), RitwikKN2002 (02-14-2021), robtadrian (02-14-2021), the13thman (02-13-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 01:05 AM   #2
Zivouhr Zivouhr is offline
Blu-ray Prince
 
Zivouhr's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
USA
3
125
Default

Thanks for the info. Looks interesting.

Good to hear the 3D could be strong layering at times.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
kurosawa (02-14-2021), RitwikKN2002 (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 01:16 AM   #3
ryudoadema ryudoadema is offline
Active Member
 
ryudoadema's Avatar
 
May 2019
Default

Looks great! Right up my alley and really hope for a 3d blu-ray release. No way I'd be able to see this in theaters in 3d. If this never releases in said format, I curse you for enlightening me of yet another 3d film I will never get to experience
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
kurosawa (02-14-2021)
Old 02-14-2021, 02:46 AM   #4
Biss Skyler Bluray Biss Skyler Bluray is offline
Special Member
 
Dec 2013
49
1269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qw0aszx View Post
Among the blockbusters opened at this year’s Chinese new year, this action fantasy film is the only live action one released in 3D. I had high hopes for this because director Lu Yang and cinematography Han Qiming once mentioned 3D in the audio commentary of Brotherhood of Blades 2, saying they studied 3D and understand cinematography would be completely different if they made a 3D film, not just shooting in the same style and then converted in the post. So even A Writer’s Odyssey is a converted 3D title, I believe the collaboration between these two would not disappoint me.

So I went to a IMAX3D showing (the IMAX showings of this film was hard to find because all cinemas gave almost all IMAX showings to the 2D film Detective Chinatown 3) but was told the equipment went wrong and they could only project the right eye image. So I was forced to watch the whole film in 2D. Apparently the native shot image was used for the left eye image, because the right eye image I saw have many blurs and deformations on the edge of objects caused by the conversion. But even watching the 2D image, I can easily tell the whole film was shot in the 3D method. The lenses, compositions and camera movements were all designed to enhance the 3D experience. Not to say the film itself is quite entertaining and never felt too messy or overdone even with several shortcomings. So I immediately want to watch it again in 3D.

Then I went to a regular 3D showing (IMAX3D showings went down to only one in the whole city the second day and I couldn’t made to that one sadly) the next day to check the quality of 3D and it’s quite impressive! The convertion itself is decent enough, adding the cinematography done in 3D method and the extensive special effects part which rendered in 3D natively, making this the best 3D experience I had in cinema recently! Strong depths and rich layered space run through the whole film, pop ups never felt overdone and super effectively used. My favorite was the lantern dragon shot, the 3D was done so aggressively to show its deterrence. The aspect ratio changes also gave 3D a better chance to show itself (the film shifts between 2.35:1 and 1.85:1, the regular version have this too while IMAX version have several more 2.35:1 scenes opened up to 1.90:1), I especially love those shots when the protagonist first arrive at the city Chongqing, 1.9:1 composition and 3D truly present its unique city space.

This is one rare modern film that I’m dying to own a 3D blu-ray to watch this in 3D again at home (the last one was Tsui Hark’s Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings, had to buy a Germany blu-ray to see it in 3D again) but sadly I think the chances are slim. The biggest hope is probably some German distributors to pick it up and release it in 3D blu-ray.
Great review, i agree about that the hope for this film getting a blu ray 3D release somewhere, as far as someone getting the U.S. rights to this film, i kinda wish that Kino Lorber can get the U.S. home video rights to this film due to their past history with releasing their titles on blu ray 3D, a film that is clearly meant to be seen in 3D, we should not be denied that opportunity, i can see their name written all over it.

Last edited by Biss Skyler Bluray; 02-14-2021 at 03:40 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:25 AM   #5
philsfan philsfan is offline
Active Member
 
philsfan's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Lancaster, PA
295
822
1
Default

Great review! Fingers crossed!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 06:06 AM   #6
BleedOrange11 BleedOrange11 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
BleedOrange11's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Galveston, TX
3
548
32
29
4
Default

Thanks for the review and for keeping us updated on Chinese 3D films. I'm definitely jealous of all the 3D you get to see in theaters.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 01:11 AM   #7
Biss Skyler Bluray Biss Skyler Bluray is offline
Special Member
 
Dec 2013
49
1269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post
Thanks for the review and for keeping us updated on Chinese 3D films. I'm definitely jealous of all the 3D you get to see in theaters.
Jealous is definitely an understatement.

After reading the review on the 3D conversion of this film, it seams to me that the filmmakers involved with this film really put alot of care and attention into the film's 3D presentation.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:00 AM   #8
the13thman the13thman is offline
Moderator
 
the13thman's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
London, England
19
2222
35
1
2
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biss Skyler Bluray View Post
i kinda wish that Kino Lorber can get the U.S. home video rights to this film due to their past history with releasing their titles on blu ray 3D, a film that is clearly meant to be seen in 3D, we should not be denied that opportunity, i can see their name written all over it.
Kino Lorber have no history of releasing Chinese 3D movies. Unfortunately it's been Well Go USA that have been snapping up all the 3D titles only to release them flat.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:34 AM   #9
BleedOrange11 BleedOrange11 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
BleedOrange11's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Galveston, TX
3
548
32
29
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
Kino Lorber have no history of releasing Chinese 3D movies. Unfortunately it's been Well Go USA that have been snapping up all the 3D titles only to release them flat.
Kino distributed Long Days Journey Into Night from Mainland China, as well as the two upcoming vintage Taiwanese kung fu flicks. Being fantasy action/adventure, A Writer's Odyssey does seem more in Well Go USA's ballpark though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:35 AM   #10
Menteith Menteith is offline
Senior Member
 
Menteith's Avatar
 
May 2011
Default

It's a shame that there are no more 3D Blus coming from Hong Kong - the last one was The Monkey King 3 from 2018.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
the13thman (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 08:40 AM   #11
levcore levcore is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
levcore's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Dryland
138
1897
3
Default

Visually these kinds of movies look great, they don't appear to get any kind of UK blu ray though, let alone in 3D.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:07 AM   #12
Biss Skyler Bluray Biss Skyler Bluray is offline
Special Member
 
Dec 2013
49
1269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post
Kino distributed Long Days Journey Into Night from Mainland China, as well as the two upcoming vintage Taiwanese kung fu flicks. Being fantasy action/adventure, A Writer's Odyssey does seem more in Well Go USA's ballpark though.
Well Go USA is the worst offender to it comes to films that they acquire that were originally in 3D in theaters in China to be only dumped out on home video flat.

Kino Lorber has been a really good ally it comes to their films being released on blu ray 3D, unlike Well Go USA IMO.

For a film like this, with all the effort put in the 3D presentation, i really don't see why not, and it would be a huge waste if it to be dumped out flat IMO.

Last edited by Biss Skyler Bluray; 02-15-2021 at 09:21 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Paul H (02-15-2021), RitwikKN2002 (02-15-2021), the13thman (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 09:29 AM   #13
the13thman the13thman is offline
Moderator
 
the13thman's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
London, England
19
2222
35
1
2
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post
Kino distributed Long Days Journey Into Night from Mainland China, as well as the two upcoming vintage Taiwanese kung fu flicks. Being fantasy action/adventure, A Writer's Odyssey does seem more in Well Go USA's ballpark though.
Good point, I'd forgotten about Long Day's Journey Into Night, but the vintage flicks are entirely thanks to the 3-DFA - one of them even had to have a Kickstarter, that was how much faith Kino had in it. Nevertheless, I expect those will sell well so I do hope they can branch out into more of the fantastical stuff.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:29 AM   #14
qw0aszx qw0aszx is offline
Expert Member
 
qw0aszx's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
China
4
1190
44
34
Default

CMC Pictures handles the US distribution of this film, unfortunately most of the titles they did in US never saw a blu-ray release, I believe the last one was 2017's Shock Wave and Extraordinary Mission, released by Cinedigm. I don't think Well Go USA have collaboration with CMC, otherwise I don't think they would pass on big titles like last year's The Eight Hundred (which was also CMC that handled the US distribution).

As for mainland China, since the good relationship with Lu Yang on previous Brotherhood of Blades boxset, Disk Kino is likely to release this film on blu-ray (their logo also appears in the end credits), but I don't think they will do a 3D one. So I think the biggest hope is from Germany.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
BleedOrange11 (02-15-2021), Paul H (02-15-2021), robtadrian (02-15-2021), sevenlilies1937 (02-15-2021), the13thman (02-15-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 06:03 AM   #15
Biss Skyler Bluray Biss Skyler Bluray is offline
Special Member
 
Dec 2013
49
1269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qw0aszx View Post
CMC Pictures handles the US distribution of this film, unfortunately most of the titles they did in US never saw a blu-ray release, I believe the last one was 2017's Shock Wave and Extraordinary Mission, released by Cinedigm. I don't think Well Go USA have collaboration with CMC, otherwise I don't think they would pass on big titles like last year's The Eight Hundred (which was also CMC that handled the US distribution).

As for mainland China, since the good relationship with Lu Yang on previous Brotherhood of Blades boxset, Disk Kino is likely to release this film on blu-ray (their logo also appears in the end credits), but I don't think they will do a 3D one. So I think the biggest hope is from Germany.
I really don't think a English friendly blu ray 3D release in Hong Kong for this film will ever happen IMO, and as for a German blu ray 3D release, i don't know if they will get one IMO and if they were get one it would not only be region locked but also it won't have English subtitles.

The trailer is cool, and from what i saw they really had 3D in mind with this film.

But, IMO as far as the film getting a English friendly release on home video, i still would like for this film to get one, and i still kinda wish that Kino Lorber can get the U.S. home video rights to this film because they are still releasing titles on blu ray 3D, but also as far as an English friendly release goes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:29 AM   #16
levcore levcore is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
levcore's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Dryland
138
1897
3
Default

It seems mad that so many of these movies don't get Western 3D releases, seeing as they are made with 3D in mind you'd think there would certainly be an audience for it. It seems crazy that 10-20 years ago it was more likely that big Asian movies would get a good Western release than now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:45 PM   #17
qw0aszx qw0aszx is offline
Expert Member
 
qw0aszx's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
China
4
1190
44
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biss Skyler Bluray View Post
I really don't think a English friendly blu ray 3D release in Hong Kong for this film will ever happen
A new 3D blu-ray from HK blu-ray is unlikely, I think most of HK studios stop doing 3D encoding.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Biss Skyler Bluray View Post
i still kinda wish that Kino Lorber can get the U.S. home video rights to this film because they are still releasing titles on blu ray 3D, but also as far as an English friendly release goes.
Kino acquiring this film seems unlikely. The new films Kino acquired all have some art house quality, being a pure commercial action fantasy film, I just don't think this film would be in Kino's range. As for the English friendly release, Disk Kino would definitely include English subtitles if they release it, but again, it will probably be in 2D only.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:29 PM   #18
Biss Skyler Bluray Biss Skyler Bluray is offline
Special Member
 
Dec 2013
49
1269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by qw0aszx View Post
A new 3D blu-ray from HK blu-ray is unlikely, I think most of HK studios stop doing 3D encoding.





Kino acquiring this film seems unlikely. The new films Kino acquired all have some art house quality, being a pure commercial action fantasy film, I just don't think this film would be in Kino's range. As for the English friendly release, Disk Kino would definitely include English subtitles if they release it, but again, it will probably be in 2D only.
It ain't just art house films that Kino Lorber acquires to be fair, they also acquire the other films that big studios as well as other studios wouldn't release themselves on home video in the U.S. and put it on Blu ray.

It is also worth noting that they in collaboration with 3-D Film Archive got 2 3D vintage Taiwanese films called Dynasty and Revenge of the Shogun Women coming this year. (albeit the English dubs only)

I really don't want to see this film to be dumped out flat on home video, because all that hard work into the film's 3D presentation IMO would have been all for nothing at that point.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
RitwikKN2002 (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 07:06 AM   #19
qw0aszx qw0aszx is offline
Expert Member
 
qw0aszx's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
China
4
1190
44
34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biss Skyler Bluray View Post
It ain't just art house films that Kino Lorber acquires to be fair, they also acquire the other films that big studios as well as other studios wouldn't release themselves on home video in the U.S. and put it on Blu ray.
I'm well aware of those releases from Kino, but they are all catalogue titles just like Dynasty and Revenge of the Shogun Women, not the newly released films. The new films Kino acquired are all art house related, more or less. Search by the production year and you can find out their taste for acquiring new movies, I just don't see A Writer's Odyssey will be under their radar: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movie...productionyear
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:58 AM   #20
Biss Skyler Bluray Biss Skyler Bluray is offline
Special Member
 
Dec 2013
49
1269
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
It seems mad that so many of these movies don't get Western 3D releases, seeing as they are made with 3D in mind you'd think there would certainly be an audience for it. It seems crazy that 10-20 years ago it was more likely that big Asian movies would get a good Western release than now.
It is really frustrating, and for a film like this with the live action stuff converted to 3D in post production combined with the CGI effects rendered in native 3D, also where the director and cinematographer clearly had 3D in mind when they make the film IMO, for it to be dumped out flat would be frustrating also very wasteful and all their work and effort would have for nothing.

Watching this film in 2D won't do this film any favors, as i like i said before this film is clearly meant to be seen in 3D.

I get why qw0aszx would want this film to get a blu ray 3D release in germany but like i said before if this film were to get a blu ray 3D release in germany, not only it won't have English subtitles but it would also be region locked.

And with ryudoadema, being unable to see this film due to what's going in the world at the moment, thinking that this film would never release on blu ray 3D and that he would be denied that opportunity, for a film thats right up his alley would be disappointing.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
RitwikKN2002 (02-21-2021), ryudoadema (02-21-2021)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:33 PM.