Best iTunes Movie Deals


Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (iTunes)
$7.99
1 day ago
Candyman (iTunes)
$4.99
1 day ago
Cinderella (iTunes)
$9.99
1 day ago
Top Gun (iTunes)
$7.99
1 day ago
Lost Highway (iTunes)
$4.99
1 day ago
Frozen II (iTunes)
$9.99
1 day ago
Aladdin (iTunes)
$9.99
1 day ago
The Princess and the Frog (iTunes)
$9.99
1 day ago
Brave (iTunes)
$9.99
1 day ago
Crawl (iTunes)
$9.99
1 day ago
Beauty and the Beast (iTunes)
$9.99
1 day ago
DC 7-Film Collection (iTunes)
$49.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #1
ps3bd_owner ps3bd_owner is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
ps3bd_owner's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
Default Are HD DVDs worth backing up?

I have about 15 of them and I want to sell/get rid of them so I thought of the idea of backing them up (via AnyDVD HD The only program I'm aware that does it), but is it actually worth doing so?

I have TB of space though I don't want to use it if it were a waste ultimately.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #2
Sayonara808 Sayonara808 is online now
Active Member
 
Oct 2008
Aloha State
61
1136
552
749
577
540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
I have about 15 of them and I want to sell/get rid of them so I thought of the idea of backing them up (via AnyDVD HD The only program I'm aware that does it), but is it actually worth doing so?

I have TB of space though I don't want to use it if it were a waste ultimately.
Who would even buy these any more. I have about 150 sitting in my closet along with 3-4 HD-DVD players. Plus lots of Warner Brothers titles have disc rot.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
bhampton (03-17-2021), ps3bd_owner (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 04:24 PM   #3
Fiffy Fiffy is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2007
San Jose, CA
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
I have about 15 of them and I want to sell/get rid of them so I thought of the idea of backing them up (via AnyDVD HD — The only program I'm aware that does it), but is it actually worth doing so?

I have TB of space though I don't want to use it if it were a waste ultimately.
Only you know if the movies are worth it to you.

I ripped mine to my NAS years ago after the format had died (not because I wanted to sell them, but simply so I could continue playing them). If you find the files too big, you can compress them e.g. with Handbrake. MakeMKV can also rip HD-DVDs. MKV files are probably easier to handle these days than HD-DVD ISOs.

I have since rebought some of the movies in 4K from iTunes or UHD BD when they were on sale. But there are also some gems that are still the best versions available on any format to this day (e.g. Star Trek season 1 and Band of Brothers).

Last edited by Fiffy; 03-10-2021 at 04:31 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (03-10-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 08:45 PM   #4
Region_unlocked Region_unlocked is offline
Power Member
 
Jan 2014
2
Default

Do you not need a specifically HDDVD focused drive to play HDDVDs on a PC? I never even thought about it before. Will a regular BD drive work?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:54 PM   #5
chip75 chip75 is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
72
2630
2130
9
Default

A lot of the superior Universal HD DVDs have been remastered for new BDs or UHDs (i.e. The Thing or The Big Lebowski), so it's less needed to make back-ups.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:57 PM   #6
Fiffy Fiffy is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2007
San Jose, CA
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region_unlocked View Post
Do you not need a specifically HDDVD focused drive to play HDDVDs on a PC? I never even thought about it before. Will a regular BD drive work?
No, you need a drive that can specifically read HD-DVDs. The most popular at the time were the LG GGC-H20L BD/HD-DVD combo drive, and the Xbox USB drive (which can also be connected to computers). Not sure how hard they are to obtain today.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:06 PM   #7
Region_unlocked Region_unlocked is offline
Power Member
 
Jan 2014
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
No, you need a drive that can specifically read HD-DVDs. The most popular at the time were the LG GGC-H20L BD/HD-DVD combo drive, and the Xbox USB drive (which can also be connected to computers). Not sure how hard they are to obtain today.
Oh the 360 drive can be hooked up to a computer? Neat.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (03-17-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 04:43 PM   #8
meremortal meremortal is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
meremortal's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
Bedford Falls
241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayonara808 View Post
Who would even buy these any more. I have about 150 sitting in my closet along with 3-4 HD-DVD players. Plus lots of Warner Brothers titles have disc rot.
It's been tough to get rid of most for a long time. Around 2012-2013 Best Buy was accepting them as trade-ins during their awesome "upgrade & save" program; dvds would count as $5 store credit, each, towards blus and with a daily cap of five per day: $25 savings. I was using the five disc limit every single day and stocking up on blu discounts and it was a fun time. They were also offering daily facebook gift cards for a time during thst era. But now you'd be lucky to get anything for discs from the format unless it's a particularly rare release and few of those are remaining other than perhaps imports.

Last edited by meremortal; 03-15-2021 at 04:48 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
dlbsyst (03-25-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 05:00 PM   #9
IndyMLVC IndyMLVC is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
IndyMLVC's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
New York City, NY
173
695
69
714
2
59
Default

Some bonus features are only available on HD-DVD (ie Poseidon and others)
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 06:43 PM   #10
cmcclure16 cmcclure16 is offline
Expert Member
 
cmcclure16's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Henderson, NV
16
12
662
689
851
301
24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
It's been tough to get rid of most for a long time. Around 2012-2013 Best Buy was accepting them as trade-ins during their awesome "upgrade & save" program; dvds would count as $5 store credit, each, towards blus and with a daily cap of five per day: $25 savings. I was using the five disc limit every single day and stocking up on blu discounts and it was a fun time. They were also offering daily facebook gift cards for a time during thst era. But now you'd be lucky to get anything for discs from the format unless it's a particularly rare release and few of those are remaining other than perhaps imports.
Ah man I remember the Upgrade and Save program. Good times!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
dlbsyst (03-25-2021), meremortal (03-15-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 01:14 AM   #11
slimdude slimdude is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
slimdude's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
-
-
-
8
Default

The majority of the former HD-DVD movies are now released on blu-ray and digital.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:13 AM   #12
Fiffy Fiffy is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2007
San Jose, CA
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
The majority of the former HD-DVD movies are now released on blu-ray and digital.
Yes, but if you can rip them you don't have to re-buy them.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:31 AM   #13
chip75 chip75 is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
72
2630
2130
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region_unlocked View Post
Oh the 360 drive can be hooked up to a computer? Neat.
You can't do much with it apart from back-up your discs, playabck support was dropped a few OSs ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
The majority of the former HD-DVD movies are now released on blu-ray and digital.
If you just have BDs and don't go digital, the HD DVD still offers the best presentations of a handful of movies.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:36 AM   #14
slimdude slimdude is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
slimdude's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
-
-
-
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
Yes, but if you can rip them you don't have to re-buy them.
HD-DVDs cannot be ripped without a HD-DVD drive, and the technology is obsolete. DVD, Blu-ray and 4 UHD players can't play HD-DVDs. You will need a HD-DVD player to play the discs, and there is no other player that can play HD-DVDs.

Last edited by slimdude; 03-16-2021 at 02:56 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:54 AM   #15
slimdude slimdude is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
slimdude's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
-
-
-
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
If you just have BDs and don't go digital, the HD DVD still offers the best presentations of a handful of movies.
Some HD-DVD movies only had lossy Dolby Digital Plus, and just a very few had Dolby True HD, when Blu-ray have Dolby True HD, DTS Master Audio, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. Blu-ray still have a slight advantage over HD-DVD.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:12 AM   #16
chip75 chip75 is offline
Blu-ray Archduke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
72
2630
2130
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Some HD-DVD movies only had lossy Dolby Digital Plus, and just a very few had Dolby True HD, when Blu-ray have Dolby True HD, DTS Master Audio, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. Blu-ray still have a slight advantage over HD-DVD.
Even so, I think some folks would prefer the video of the few titles that are worth keeping, you can always combine the audio from the BDs if you're inclined.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:22 PM   #17
Fiffy Fiffy is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2007
San Jose, CA
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
HD-DVDs cannot be ripped without a HD-DVD drive, and the technology is obsolete. DVD, Blu-ray and 4 UHD players can't play HD-DVDs. You will need a HD-DVD player to play the discs, and there is no other player that can play HD-DVDs.
That's why you rip them and put the files on your media server.

It would have cost me hundreds of dollars to re-buy them all, and as mentioned above some of them are the best versions available. I really treasure the ripped files from the Japanese Band of Brothers release and Star Trek season 1 ...

Last edited by Fiffy; 03-16-2021 at 03:28 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:25 PM   #18
Fiffy Fiffy is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2007
San Jose, CA
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
Some HD-DVD movies only had lossy Dolby Digital Plus
Yes, but those used very high bitrates (typically 1.5 Mbps), which is virtually lossless.

Most HD-DVDs are equivalent to their BD counterparts in terms of quality. A few are better, some are worse (particularly when new masters have been made in the meantime).
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 03:46 PM   #19
SeeMoreDigital SeeMoreDigital is online now
Active Member
 
SeeMoreDigital's Avatar
 
Nov 2017
Nott'm, UK
Default

I backed-up the few dozen or so HD DVD's I had using an (2008) LG GGC-H20L [BRD & HD-DVD] drive with EVOdemux.

Sadly, the last time I attempted to play any of the discs with my (2007) Toshiba HD-EP35KB player, only a couple of them worked correctly. The rest all suffered from de-lamination
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:34 PM   #20
Sayonara808 Sayonara808 is online now
Active Member
 
Oct 2008
Aloha State
61
1136
552
749
577
540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
It's been tough to get rid of most for a long time. Around 2012-2013 Best Buy was accepting them as trade-ins during their awesome "upgrade & save" program; dvds would count as $5 store credit, each, towards blus and with a daily cap of five per day: $25 savings. I was using the five disc limit every single day and stocking up on blu discounts and it was a fun time. They were also offering daily facebook gift cards for a time during thst era. But now you'd be lucky to get anything for discs from the format unless it's a particularly rare release and few of those are remaining other than perhaps imports.
Gee where the hell was I when this was going on. I was able to sell off half of my 300+ HD Dvd collection
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:31 PM.