Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Goblin Slayer: Goblin's Crown (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Whisper of the Heart (Blu-ray)
$14.98
1 day ago
Attack on Titan: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$34.99

To Love-Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Blood Shadow (Blu-ray)
$13.61

Kaiji: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$60.93

Ahiru no Sora (Blu-ray)
$89.99

Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle - Part One (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Pure Hearted Girl Et Cetera (Blu-ray)
$25.33

Promare (Blu-ray)
$12.96
1 day ago
Elfen Lied: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.69

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.45

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 03-16-2021, 01:47 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
Default Doraemon and Shin-chan in English-speaking countries

Much as I love these two shows, they sadly failed to be a hit in the English-speaking market, but they sure tried.

Doraemon
- LUK Internacional
- Bang Zoom

Crayon Shin-chan
- LUK Internacional
- Vitello
- FUNimation (it was more of a parody dub, sigh)

However, in Spain, Portugal, India, Germany and Mexico they love these series and many who were once kids, grew up watching these and now their own kids watch 'em, too. That's kinda adorable.
Thanks given by:
nabelnabel (03-17-2021)
Old 03-16-2021, 03:05 PM   #2
Expert Member

Jun 2017

I would love to see them released in their traditional format
Old 03-17-2021, 05:00 AM   #3
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

The Bang Zoom Dub for Doraemon it did okay in the 1st Season. But people just did not return to watch Season 2. It was almost a whole year of waiting for more episodes and Disney XD doesnít show their Anime that much so for a time I thought they cancelled it after just the 1 Season. Itís amazing that Disney XD keeps trying with Anime when most people watching it are not interested. Not even Naruto was able to work on Disney XD. Feel like they made the same mistake with Yo-kai Watch except Yo-kai Watch had popular videogames and toys to promote it even if the toys bombed hard. Like Cartoon Network is a better option. Though Cartoon Network airing Bakugan at 6:30AM is a bit early.

Shin-Chan I remember being on Adult Swim. The episodes were out of order like the Kids WB and later Toonami version of Cardcaptors. While it was funny and love it having Laura Bailey in it but it just seemed off. Like Funimation made extra unneeded effort to mixing around the episodes and changing it too much. At least it wasnít totally Americanized like Doraemon.

Saint Seiya had that Knights Of The Zodiac version that hurt its image despite also having the Uncut ADV Films Dub.

Case Closed is in pretty much the same boat as a show that bombed hard because of too much changes for America along with Sgt. Frog.

Magical DoReMi being Edited down all the way to a TV-Y rating.

Fans are just not interested in heavily changed up versions of Anime that just make the changes confusing to the audience but America keeps doing it for kids Anime despite almost never working well. Like if airing it on TV, just keep it about the same as the original and go with who is willing to air it as is.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:28 AM   #4

Sep 2015

Quote:
The Bang Zoom Dub for Doraemon it did okay in the 1st Season. But people just did not return to watch Season 2. It was almost a whole year of waiting for more episodes and Disney XD
Disney pulled a cartoon network! They throw season 2 in the summer at 10:30 am after reruns of pac-man and the ghostly adventures with no ads at all! Fans didn't find out till the day before it was airing! Plus they dubbed the stand by me movie and never released it here at all! It's like disney wanted to kill it!
Old 03-19-2021, 09:03 AM   #5

Mar 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
However, in [...] Germany [...] they love these series and many who were once kids, grew up watching these and now their own kids watch 'em, too. That's kinda adorable.
I can't speak for the other series - but:
Germany got 130 "random" episodes (x 3 parts) starting 2002, however the first batch was redubbed after first airings as they included jokes weren't deemed suitable for children.
In 2006 the series was pulled from air. Only 3 DVD singles were published.

2019 Polyband picked up the series and published 26 "random" episodes (x 3 parts) that aired in Japan around 2014 on DVD. New voice actors and a more faithful, but less funny translation. It's rumored that these dubs were commissioned by TV Asahi for German TV (but unprooven).
Notable: As the timeslot for Shin Chan in Japan is nowadays shorter than most other series have, they decided to form German episodes from 3 parts (instead of the now usual 2 parts in Japan). But they also skipped a lot episodes for unknown reasons.

Recently, Polyband announced the release of the 2020 Movie (Movie 28) for Summer. This would mark first Shin Chan movie ever released in Germany.

Fun fact:
An issue of the official Sailor Moon comic was banned (x-rated) in Germany for including a parody of Shin Chan. Note: The scene was included in German daytime TV airings.

Regarding Doraemon:
It's rumored that LUK International commissioned some German dubbing of Doraemon franchise, possibly to sell them to TV stations. None of this was ever released.
Thanks given by:
ps3bd_owner (03-19-2021)
Old 03-19-2021, 09:28 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TThomas View Post
I can't speak for the other series - but:
Germany got 130 "random" episodes (x 3 parts) starting 2002, however the first batch was redubbed after first airings as they included jokes weren't deemed suitable for children.
In 2006 the series was pulled from air. Only 3 DVD singles were published.

2019 Polyband picked up the series and published 26 "random" episodes (x 3 parts) that aired in Japan around 2014 on DVD. New voice actors and a more faithful, but less funny translation. It's rumored that these dubs were commissioned by TV Asahi for German TV (but unprooven).
Notable: As the timeslot for Shin Chan in Japan is nowadays shorter than most other series have, they decided to form German episodes from 3 parts (instead of the now usual 2 parts in Japan). But they also skipped a lot episodes for unknown reasons.

Recently, Polyband announced the release of the 2020 Movie (Movie 28) for Summer. This would mark first Shin Chan movie ever released in Germany.

Fun fact:
An issue of the official Sailor Moon comic was banned (x-rated) in Germany for including a parody of Shin Chan. Note: The scene was included in German daytime TV airings.

Regarding Doraemon:
It's rumored that LUK International commissioned some German dubbing of Doraemon franchise, possibly to sell them to TV stations. None of this was ever released.
I mentioned Germany since I'd seen they had a considerable amount of episodes dubbed and a DVD somewhat new which comes with Japanese audio? That's great, if true. Read it on Amazon.

In the West, Spain is the main country which dominates Shin-chan as they've dubbed over 1000 episodes (in Spanish, not too sure about Galician or Catalan), but I kind of lost interest after the first 400 due to the voice changes and the animation got a bit weird ("modernized").
Old 03-19-2021, 01:53 PM   #7

Sep 2018

I've really enjoyed what I've watched of Shin-chan in the original Japanese. For as crude as it is it's also very charming and good natured, which is a very unique blend. The problem with it in America is it's considered too much for American children, but not easy to sell to adults either, so it exists in a no man's land that results in companies like Funimation trying to alter it to appeal to a different demographic while losing what made it work in the process.
Old 03-19-2021, 02:18 PM   #8
Banned

Jan 2011
Alabama

I think it'd be rad if Discotek picked up the Shin-chan movies, the fan-favorite ones at least. They're big animation showcases in ways. Gifs and clips of select moments get passed around social media animation circles frequently, some people being flabbergasted they discover it's Shin-chan of all things.

The series is too long for me to get invested in, but I'd totally grab the movies. I love the aesthetic of Shin-chan in general, but man the theatrical stuff is really neato.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:59 PM   #9

Aug 2013

I've got the first two seasons of the [adult swim] Shin Chan on DVD and we've watched the third via alternate means. Some of the jokes are a little cringey nowadays, but the situations can still be funny. I'd love to see more releases, even if just sub-titled.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:33 PM   #10

Mar 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
I mentioned Germany since I'd seen they had a considerable amount of episodes dubbed and a DVD somewhat new which comes with Japanese audio? That's great, if true. Read it on Amazon.
I own two of these:
Yes, 26 (x 3 parts) "random" episodes from 2014/5 (episodes 830+) were released on 4 DVDs in Germany - 13 years after the series was pulled from TV.

I own 2 of these:
R2 PAL, incl Japanese Audio, DVDs play in "marathon mode" with OP only before the first and ED only after the last episode.
As I mentioned, Movie 28 will be released in Germany this summer.
However, this "new" dub was very different from the old - not only new voice actors, but also a very different translation approach.
Thanks given by:
NLScavenger (03-20-2021), professorwho (03-20-2021), ps3bd_owner (03-20-2021)
Old 03-20-2021, 09:03 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
I've got the first two seasons of the [adult swim] Shin Chan on DVD and we've watched the third via alternate means. Some of the jokes are a little cringey nowadays, but the situations can still be funny. I'd love to see more releases, even if just sub-titled.
I was told the FUNi DVDs have Japanese extras so that's pretty cool, but a hard-buy for me since the dub is more like a clone of South Park.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:39 PM   #12
Power Member

Jul 2018

Weren't there alternate Animax English dubs for the 2005 Doraemon and a good chunk of the Shin Chan eps? I believe there was an Animax Eng dub for one of the 1980s Doraemon series
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime