Best iTunes Movie Deals


Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Batman 80th Anniversary Collection (iTunes)
$39.99
 
Batman 4 Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99
 
Avengers: Endgame (iTunes)
$7.99
 
Guardians of the Galaxy (iTunes)
$7.99
1 day ago
Iron Man (iTunes)
$7.99
 
DC 7-Film Collection (iTunes)
$49.99
 
DC Universe 10th Anniversary Collection (iTunes)
$69.99
 
Doctor Strange (iTunes)
$7.99
 
Iron Man 2 (iTunes)
$7.99
 
Iron Man 3 (iTunes)
$7.99
 
The Dark Knight Trilogy (iTunes)
$19.99
 
Thor (iTunes)
$7.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2021, 02:09 AM   #1
FubarFrenzy FubarFrenzy is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2015
13
93
Default Spartacus:Blood and Sand 4K Fandango

Not sure if this has been offered for a while, or is new. Just saw that Spartacus (2011)Blood and Sand is available in 4K.

It doesn't appear that any other service offers this, which is a shame because I don't trust Fandango's video quality.

Anyone have any experience with this title in 4K on Fandango?
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Undeadcow (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 06:17 AM   #2
Alan Gordon Alan Gordon is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Alan Gordon's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Dawson, GA
364
1905
437
1020
1104
1680
1072
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FubarFrenzy View Post
Not sure if this has been offered for a while, or is new. Just saw that Spartacus (2011)Blood and Sand is available in 4K.

It doesn't appear that any other service offers this, which is a shame because I don't trust Fandango's video quality.

Anyone have any experience with this title in 4K on Fandango?
It's been offered for a while. FandangoNow also offers the first two seasons of the Starz series "Power" as well.

Amazon is the store with the most 4K series, but does not have either the Spartacus or "Power" series in 4K (last I checked).

Amazon mostly has some Sony series in 4K, with a BBC title thrown in.

Season 1 of the shows "Breaking Bad", "Better Call Saul", and "The Blacklist" in 4K are on sale on Amazon for $3.99 this weekend if you're interested in those.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:00 PM   #3
FubarFrenzy FubarFrenzy is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2015
13
93
Default

Yeah thanks, I saw some deals on VUDU, but really looking to see if anyone has the UHD of Spartacus. Would be very intersted.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 05:11 PM   #4
Alan Gordon Alan Gordon is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Alan Gordon's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Dawson, GA
364
1905
437
1020
1104
1680
1072
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FubarFrenzy View Post
Yeah thanks, I saw some deals on VUDU, but really looking to see if anyone has the UHD of Spartacus. Would be very intersted.
VUDU does not any series in UHD to my knowledge. Only Amazon and FandangoNow.

Understood. I was just letting people read this thread know that there are some UHD series on super-sale right now. Hopefully someone else can chime in regarding the 4K quality.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Fiffy (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 05:20 PM   #5
Fiffy Fiffy is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2007
San Jose, CA
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gordon View Post
VUDU does not any series in UHD to my knowledge. Only Amazon and FandangoNow.

Understood. I was just letting people read this thread know that there are some UHD series on super-sale right now. Hopefully someone else can chime in regarding the 4K quality.
This is interesting. I knew that Amazon streams some shows in 4K as part of a Prime subscription, but I didn't know that they sell some in 4K too. E.g. when you go to the Breaking Bad season 1 store page it only says "Buy HD".
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:18 PM   #6
Alan Gordon Alan Gordon is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Alan Gordon's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Dawson, GA
364
1905
437
1020
1104
1680
1072
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
This is interesting. I knew that Amazon streams some shows in 4K as part of a Prime subscription, but I didn't know that they sell some in 4K too. E.g. when you go to the Breaking Bad season 1 store page it only says "Buy HD".
Wrong listing. Amazon has separate listings for HD and UHD titles (movies and shows):

Breaking Bad: Season One UHD

As I said previously, the first seasons (in 4K) of "Breaking Bad", "Better Call Saul", and "The Blacklist" are on sale for $3.99 this weekend. I purchased all three.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Fiffy (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 07:41 PM   #7
Fiffy Fiffy is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2007
San Jose, CA
4
Default

The only problem I see with 4K TV shows is that binging a show would probably bust my Comcast data cap pretty quickly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:48 PM   #8
Alan Gordon Alan Gordon is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Alan Gordon's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Dawson, GA
364
1905
437
1020
1104
1680
1072
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
The only problem I see with 4K TV shows is that binging a show would probably bust my Comcast data cap pretty quickly.
Why I'm glad I have no data caps.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 07:58 PM   #9
Fiffy Fiffy is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2007
San Jose, CA
4
Default

Well, I just purchased Breaking Bad for science and did a bandwidth test using the Apple TV developer HUD. Amazon streams these at a 10 Mbps average video bitrate. iTunes uses similar bitrates for 1080p TV shows ...

If you have the BDs, they look (and sound) better than Amazon's UHD.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Alan Gordon (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 08:04 PM   #10
FubarFrenzy FubarFrenzy is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2015
13
93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
Well, I just purchased Breaking Bad for science and did a bandwidth test using the Apple TV developer HUD. Amazon streams these at a 10 Mbps average video bitrate. iTunes uses similar bitrates for 1080p TV shows ...

If you have the BDs, they look (and sound) better than Amazon's UHD.
Thx, anyway to compare to the netflix UHD version of BB? I re watched BB on Netflix in 4K (no HDR), and was pretty impressed. Haven't watched it on other services.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:08 PM   #11
Fiffy Fiffy is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2007
San Jose, CA
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FubarFrenzy View Post
Thx, anyway to compare to the netflix UHD version of BB? I re watched BB on Netflix in 4K (no HDR), and was pretty impressed. Haven't watched it on other services.
Sorry, I'm currently not subscribed to Netflix.

For a show as grainy as Breaking Bad I think you'd need at least 15 Mbps to get good image quality in 4K, better more.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Alan Gordon (03-21-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 08:24 PM   #12
Alan Gordon Alan Gordon is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Alan Gordon's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Dawson, GA
364
1905
437
1020
1104
1680
1072
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
If you have the BDs, they look (and sound) better than Amazon's UHD.
Yeah, I'm not really surprised. Amazon's streaming quality is among some of the worst... which is ironic, since I used to have the worst time streaming stuff from them when my internet speed was cut in half by a hurricane compared to other streaming services.

I mainly purchased the titles in case TV Anywhere ever happens. Get those 4K rights for cheap in case other providers ever offer them for sale.

I re-watched the first episode of "Orphan Black" in 4K on Amazon Prime years ago and found it had an uptick in resolution compared to the Blu-ray. Others may have a difference of opinion. I have been tempted to purchase some of it's seasons in 4K on Amazon, but haven't done so.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:25 PM   #13
slimdude slimdude is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
slimdude's Avatar
 
Apr 2009
-
-
-
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FubarFrenzy View Post
Thx, anyway to compare to the netflix UHD version of BB? I re watched BB on Netflix in 4K (no HDR), and was pretty impressed. Haven't watched it on other services.
Without the inclusion of HDR10 or Dolby Vision, the blu-ray will look just about the same (or even better) upconverted than the 4K streaming version, but the audio will be superior on the blu-ray for sure.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:31 PM   #14
Fiffy Fiffy is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Jul 2007
San Jose, CA
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gordon View Post
Yeah, I'm not really surprised. Amazon's streaming quality is among some of the worst...
It depends. Their Prime Video stream of The Expanse looks excellent. For that they use 15 Mbps, and the show has that clean digital look with virtually no grain or noise (which is easy to compress). Easily tops the BDs.
Quote:
I re-watched the first episode of "Orphan Black" in 4K on Amazon Prime years ago and found it had an uptick in resolution compared to the Blu-ray. Others may have a difference of opinion. I have been tempted to purchase some of it's seasons in 4K on Amazon, but haven't done so.
Breaking Bad also has a visible uptick in resolution, but I noticed horrible compression artifacts right away in the first few seconds. For the sound they use 192 kbps E-AC3 in low-bitrate mode ...
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Alan Gordon (03-21-2021)
Old 03-22-2021, 12:22 AM   #15
Gretiem Gretiem is offline
Power Member
 
Gretiem's Avatar
 
Oct 2018
somewhere
117
118
18
1144
35
Default

Im jealous .. I really wish iTunes would offer this as I don't like to split my digital purchases across multiple services.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:11 PM   #16
tjritter79 tjritter79 is offline
Special Member
 
Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
157
3
772
950
900
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
The only problem I see with 4K TV shows is that binging a show would probably bust my Comcast data cap pretty quickly.
As you may be aware, they were going to impose data caps in the Northeast for the first time this January. Trying to be proactive, I inquired about available "unlimited" data plans in my area. I was told of a 6 mos promotion where I would get 1 gbps at $89.99 for the first 6 mos and $119.99 thereafter....well I was ALREADY paying $102.99 for 600 mbps, so an upgrade to nearly double speed and only paying $17@month (post-promotion) seemed like a no-brainer. Only "catch" was I had to upgrade to Comcast Business Class as opposed to residential...the business class plans are all unlimited data.

...you may want to look at what's offered in your area.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:39 AM.