Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99
3 hrs ago
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.24
23 hrs ago
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 day ago
Dragonheart: 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
2 hrs ago
Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
1 day ago
Baise-moi (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Saving Silverman (Blu-ray)
$13.29
1 day ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
1 day ago
The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99
21 hrs ago
Smile (Blu-ray)
$23.49
1 day ago
Wildcats (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Eyes of a Stranger (Blu-ray)
$24.99
21 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 07-12-2010, 02:25 AM   #201
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJr View Post
I have the Sony SAW-3000 with my setup along with the Sony STR DH800 which only has one subwoofer input. If I were to get another sub could I run it from my current sub's output jack?
You will find detailed information about the hookups of one or two subwoofers in posts #1 and #2 of https://forum.blu-ray.com/subwoofers...anagement.html thread.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:49 AM   #202

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
You will find detailed information about the hookups of one or two subwoofers in posts #1 and #2 of https://forum.blu-ray.com/subwoofers...anagement.html thread.
Thanks Big Daddy, I've read some of your stuff in the past, nice work. When reading about the guide to bass magagement I read the crossover settings suggestions you had from Outlaw Audio, but I've also looked in my speaker manuals on the rest of my speakers (all which are Sony's). My SS-F6000's have two 6" woofers in them and suggest 50Hz setting, while my side surrounds SS-B3000's have an 8" woofer in each and also suggest 50 Hz. Even the rear surrounds SS-B1000's suggest 50 Hz which have 5 1/4" woofers in them. Which way would you suggest to set them?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:52 AM   #203
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJr View Post
Thanks Big Daddy, I've read some of your stuff in the past, nice work. When reading about the guide to bass magagement I read the crossover settings suggestions you had from Outlaw Audio, but I've also looked in my speaker manuals on the rest of my speakers (all which are Sony's). My SS-F6000's have two 6" woofers in them and suggest 50Hz setting, while my side surrounds SS-B3000's have an 8" woofer in each and also suggest 50 Hz. Even the rear surrounds SS-B1000's suggest 50 Hz which have 5 1/4" woofers in them. Which way would you suggest to set them?
If you have one or two capable subwoofer(s), it is best to set the crossover of most speakers to 80Hz and let the subwoofer(s) do their job. The strategically positioned subwoofer(s) can do a better job of producing the lower frequency waves in a typical small home theater room.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #204

Jul 2009
Seattle, Wa

Quote:
Magnetic shielding is a major problem for CRT (tube) TVs. I am told that LCD and Plasma TVs are not affected by it. However, I have a 40" plasma TV in my bedroom. When I turn it on without the satellite receiver, I get a blue screen. Unfortunately, the side that is very close to the wall looks a bit purple. When I turn on the satellite receiver to watch a program, it is not noticeable. I know a lot of wires are running through the wall in that location. Does anybody have better experience or information?
I would think it's much more likely the cables are being coupled magnetically. Either one of the coaxial cables is improperly shielded at given frequencies because the return current is traveling via the line cord safety ground instead, or there could also be a problem with the HDMI cable itself, this is insanely common. It seems like it would be an easy thing to test, just run a second HDMI cable out in the open where EMI influences are the lowest. I'm willing to bet if you do that it'll largely do away. The panel itself should be unaffected by magnets, but circuitry that's improperly shielded can be impacted. I don't think what you're describing tho would be the result of that. It could also be an uneven black light, which might be due to the panel not coming up to temperature or poor build quality.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #205

Oct 2008

I'm going to be moving around stuff in my HT next week to make room for the new gear. Since I can't upgrade my massive speakers yet they have will have to stay. This leaves little room for the subwoofer in the current spot. The only other place is in the middle of the room under the screen or between L and C channel. This means the center would have to go right on top of it or I would have to make a stand for the center. Center placement is easiest and visually appealing. The only problem is that I have never seen this in any HT setup. I just want some opinions on this, since moving around a 100 lb sub and 30 lb riser to test best placement is a major pain.

The attached pic shows that I have moved around the sub already (blue bolt), the current (red), future (black). As you can see the sub wouldn't exactly be in the middle of the wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 3.jpg (15.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 08-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #206
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsidhu View Post
I'm going to be moving around stuff in my HT next week to make room for the new gear. Since I can't upgrade my massive speakers yet they have will have to stay. This leaves little room for the subwoofer in the current spot. The only other place is in the middle of the room under the screen or between L and C channel. This means the center would have to go right on top of it or I would have to make a stand for the center. Center placement is easiest and visually appealing. The only problem is that I have never seen this in any HT setup. I just want some opinions on this, since moving around a 100 lb sub and 30 lb riser to test best placement is a major pain.

The attached pic shows that I have moved around the sub already (blue bolt), the current (red), future (black). As you can see the sub wouldn't exactly be in the middle of the wall.
If the subwoofer is currently in the corner of the room and is not boomy, I suggest tht you leave it there. A subwoofer in the corner uses the walls and energizes all the room modes and will play loud. The best part is that it is for free.

I have seen people put their subwoofers in the middle of the wall, but that position works best when you have 2 or 4 subwoofers. In those situations, you put the 2 or 4 subwoofers in the middle of the opposing walls.

Putting the subwoofer exactly in the middle of the room or sitting in the middle of the room is not a good idea. Also, if you sit against the wall, the bass sound will be too loud and tiring. In addition the surround effect will be ruined.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #207

Oct 2008

Quote:
If the subwoofer is currently in the corner of the room and is not boomy, I suggest tht you leave it there. A subwoofer in the corner uses the walls and energizes all the room modes and will play loud. The best part is that it is for free.

I have seen people put their subwoofers in the middle of the wall, but that position works best when you have 2 or 4 subwoofers. In those situations, you put the 2 or 4 subwoofers in the middle of the opposing walls.

Putting the subwoofer exactly in the middle of the room or sitting in the middle of the room is not a good idea. Also, if you sit against the wall, the bass sound will be too loud and tiring. In addition the surround effect will be ruined.
While I love the current position of sub, it can't stay there (just look at their size). I am going to have to think about this.

I have thought of other options, each crazier and more expensive than the last:
i)upgrade center only to tower and upgrade other speakers later, leaving room for the sub either to the left/right of the center
ii)buy another sub similar to the one I have (might just do this anyway if av123 puts up more b-stock)
iii)upgrade L/R/C to towers (which I want to do when I have more money)

...all this fuss because I don't want to build a center channel stand for a speaker that will eventually be upgraded to a tower speaker

Last edited by vsidhu; 08-05-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #208
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsidhu View Post
While I love the current position of sub, it can't stay there (just look at their size). I am going to have to think about this.

I have thought of other options, each crazier and more expensive than the last:
i)upgrade center only to tower and upgrade other speakers later, leaving room for the sub either to the left/right of the center
ii)buy another sub similar to the one I have (might just do this anyway if av123 puts up more b-stock)
iii)upgrade L/R/C to towers (which I want to do when I have more money)

...all this fuss because I don't want to build a center channel stand for a speaker that will eventually be upgraded to a tower speaker
Buy one of these and hire a couple of mules in order to perform the Subwoofer Crawl.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:01 AM   #209

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Buy one of these and hire a couple of mules in order to perform the Subwoofer Crawl.

I have seen that before
Old 08-06-2010, 01:03 AM   #210
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyBLUE View Post
I have seen that before
Did you use it? How did it improve your bass performance?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:13 AM   #211

Oct 2008

Quote:

Working in the garage:

What are you building?
....A wagon
Cool
....For my subwoofer
You're an idiot (door slams)
....I continue working faster and filling my swear jar.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:21 AM   #212

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Did you use it? How did it improve your bass performance?
Didn't wear my knees on my pants out
Old 08-13-2010, 02:23 AM   #213
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Okay, I need some help here. Last year in April I added a 2nd subwoofer and calibrated the system using the Pioneer auto-calibration. However, I don't remember if I had both subs connected when I ran the auto-calibration or not.
I recently moved my subs to different locations and I don't remember if I need to have both subs connected when I run the auto-calibration. Or should I connect only the main sub?
Big Daddy and other gurus, please chime in? Thanks.

Last edited by seigneur_rayden; 08-13-2010 at 02:41 AM. Reason: changed run to ran
Old 08-13-2010, 02:31 AM   #214
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by seigneur_rayden View Post
Okay, I need some help here. Last year in April I added a 2nd subwoofer and calibrated the system using the Pioneer auto-calibration. However, I don't remember if I had both subs connected when I run the auto-calibration or not.
I recently moved my subs to different locations and I don't remember if I need to have both subs connected when I run the auto-calibration. Or should I connect only the main sub?
Big Daddy and other gurus, please chime in? Thanks.
The simple answer is yes. Connect both subwoofers, adjust the level of each one independently on their back so that they have the same level of output at the main listening area, and finally run the auto calibration program. You can find a lot more detail about calibrating multiple subwoofers in the following thread:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/subwoofers...anagement.html
Old 08-13-2010, 02:40 AM   #215
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Quote:
The simple answer is yes. Connect both subwoofers, adjust the level of each one independently on their back so that they have the same level of output at the main listening area, and finally run the auto calibration program. You can find a lot more detail about calibrating multiple subwoofers in the following thread:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/subwoofers...anagement.html
Thanks Big Daddy for the infos. That thread talks about calibrating using a SPL meter though. I am calibrating only with the auto-calibration from the receiver.
I have to admit though that thread has a lot of excellent info and explanation.

Last edited by seigneur_rayden; 08-13-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #216

Dec 2008
Louisville, KY
Default Sub crawl

Is there a recommended movie scene or type of music(low sustained bass) to play when doing the sub crawl? Should I use my other speakers at the same time or turn them off/disable them?
Old 09-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #217
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by browndk26 View Post
Is there a recommended movie scene or type of music(low sustained bass) to play when doing the sub crawl? Should I use my other speakers at the same time or turn them off/disable them?
It is best to turn the other speakers off and concentrate on the subwoofer only.

Find one movie that has plenty of bass. Stick to that one scene. Bookmark the beginning and the end of that scene and put your player on repeat mode. You want to evaluate the position of the subwoofer with a familiar sound.

Also, If you have an SPL meter, it may not be a bad idea to run test tones from 20Hz to 120Hz in 1/3 octaves through the subwoofer and measure the output of the subwoofer at different locations with an SPL meter. After plotting Output versus Frequency for each location, study the graphs carefully. The location that gives you the flattest frequency iresponse is your optimum position. There is a brief explanation and a graph in the middle post #1 of A Guide to Subwoofers (Part II).
Old 09-24-2010, 01:00 AM   #218

Dec 2008
Louisville, KY

Similar to the listening subwoofer crawl technique mentioned above, start with the subwoofer located in the listening position and set the meter where you want to put the subwoofer. Set the SPL meter to 75dB setting and play the test tones from 20Hz to 100Hz in increments of 1/6 octave and write down the SPL levels. Move the subwoofer and repeat the experiment. Use an Excel worksheet and plot the SPL readings versus frequencies for different locations. Use these measurements to find the best possible placement. Of course this means having the flattest response.

Thanks for the info and link. But one question. Above you say put the sub in the listening position. After the first set of readings you move the sub or leave it and move the SPL meter?
Old 09-24-2010, 01:23 AM   #219
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by browndk26 View Post
Similar to the listening subwoofer crawl technique mentioned above, start with the subwoofer located in the listening position and set the meter where you want to put the subwoofer. Set the SPL meter to 75dB setting and play the test tones from 20Hz to 100Hz in increments of 1/6 octave and write down the SPL levels. Move the subwoofer and repeat the experiment. Use an Excel worksheet and plot the SPL readings versus frequencies for different locations. Use these measurements to find the best possible placement. Of course this means having the flattest response.

Thanks for the info and link. But one question. Above you say put the sub in the listening position. After the first set of readings you move the sub or leave it and move the SPL meter?
You move the heavy subwoofer only once and put it where you normally sit. Then you choose several locations in the room that may be appropriate for putting the subwoofer. At each location, you run test tones from 20Hz to 120Hz in 1/6 or 1/3 octaves (1/6 octave is better, but most free test tones are 1/3 octave apart) and do a graph for that location. After the graph is finished for the first location, you move to the second location and repeat the experiment. The only thing that moves is you with an SPL meter in your hand. The subwoofer doesn't move until you have found the optimum location for it in the room.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #220
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

http://www.audioc.com/library1/subprimer.htm
Quote:
LOW FREQUENCY EXTENSION: Manufacturers, writers and salespeople toss around all kinds of numbers and terminology that can be very confusing and misleading. "This $300 shoebox sized sub is flat to 20Hz". Right, in your dreams... How is that tiny box and driver going to reproduce a 56 foot wavelength with enough power to be heard? It will not do it. Good bass reproduction requires moving a lot of air and playback at realistic volumes. Remember the rule of needing to move four times the air to go down one octave. Example: You have a pair of good quality tower speakers with 10" woofers that produce good bass down to around 40Hz. The salesman is telling you that his little subwoofer with a single 10" woofer will extend your system down to 20Hz. If you've been paying attention you know that his woofer will have to move eight times as much air as each of your 10" woofers, not likely. Adding that subwoofer to your system might give you more apparent bass energy, and in fact may help a little with movie special effects, but it is unlikely to extend bass response significantly. Note, there are now subwoofers that are quite small, (less than a cubic foot), that will move significant air as low as 20Hz. These subwoofers feature drivers with extremely high excursion powered by amplifiers that are usually over 1000 watts. They do not sell for $300.

If you are obsessed with the low frequency extension of subwoofers and believe that is the only factor that is important in choosing a subwoofer, you should read this article:

http://www.audioholics.com/education...ofer-extension
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers