Best PS5 Games Deals

Best PS5 Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Assassin's Creed Valhalla (PS5)
$59.99

Watch Dogs: Legion (PS5)
$59.96

NBA 2K21 (PS5)
$69.99

Far Cry 6 (PS5)
$59.99

Far Cry 6 (PS5)
$109.96

Assassin's Creed Valhalla (PS5)
$109.96
1 day ago
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (PS5)
$69.99

Watch Dogs: Legion (PS5)
$109.96

Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (PS5)
$59.99

Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (PS5)
$69.99

Sackboy: A Big Adventure (PS5)
$59.99

Marvel's Spider-Man (PS5)
$69.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5

Old 10-18-2020, 04:34 AM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2017
Gotham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post

1) let me get this straight you would rather have a 200$ SSD with your games on brake instead of one of the tabs that holds the cover in place?

2) don't know about you but we are a relatively clean household, when I open it up to vacuum the inside I will just add the SSD, so in the end there is no additional risk of the cover braking. On the other hand we vacuum and dust every week and there is the possibility of the console moving every time it is touched or something falling on it every time I make changes to the equipment rack. So the chances that something sticking out the back like sore thumb brakes is a reality.
Iím place is kept spotless. I have more things that I worry about breaking then an SSD. No matter how carful someone is while taking the PS5 cover off it can still break and you wonít be able to put it back on and thereís no info yet if they are making different color of covers we can buy.
Old 10-18-2020, 11:00 AM   #22
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
Obviously changing or adding a hard drive to the PS5 is harder than the PS3 or PS4 (and obviously the Series X). It is what it is, and obviously not a deal breaker since I'll probably just rely on external SSDs rather than bothering with switching out/adding hard drives this gen since I already have them.
Physically itís not much of a difference.

Software wise, itís way more convenient on PS5 since you do not have to jump through hoops to get the OS up & running.
Old 10-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #23
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Physically itís not much of a difference.

Software wise, itís way more convenient on PS5 since you do not have to jump through hoops to get the OS up & running.
What do you mean?
Old 10-18-2020, 12:31 PM   #24
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talal86 View Post
What do you mean?
Ya donít have to do these software steps when swapping the internal SSD out for another or putting a new one in because the latest System firmware OS is permanently on the Custom SSD.

- Go to PlayStation Website
- Copy latest firmware OS update to USB thumbstick
- Boot System up in Safe Mode
Old 10-18-2020, 02:18 PM   #25
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman90 View Post
Iím place is kept spotless. I have more things that I worry about breaking then an SSD. No matter how carful someone is while taking the PS5 cover off it can still break and you wonít be able to put it back on and thereís no info yet if they are making different color of covers we can buy.
I get it, you don't have time to worry about a 200$ device that has your game progress on it that is almost guaranteed to brake because you spend that time worried about a couple of plastic tabs that can be easily fixed that will only brake if someone tries to do it on purpose.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2017
Gotham City

Quote:
I get it, you don't have time to worry about a 200$ device that has your game progress on it that is almost guaranteed to brake because you spend that time worried about a couple of plastic tabs that can be easily fixed that will only brake if someone tries to do it on purpose.
I do and would care about it. It’s no different then back in the PS2 days. All you have to do is be careful. How can you fix a plastic tab if they are broke? I’ve tried everything when tabs break and try to super glue them back on and they don’t work. But you think Sony would make replacements just in case. They could have put it on the back of the console or made it like a slot where you just slip it in.

Last edited by Batman90; 10-18-2020 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 04:24 PM   #27
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

I hope the new SSD is durable, lasts a long time and doesn't breakfast.
Old 10-18-2020, 08:25 PM   #28
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
I have to call you out one more time. Well, besides the fact that it's spelled B.R.E.A.K. What I was actually going to say is I'm not really sure why you are so certain that the extra hard drive is guaranteed to break. It's literally just plugged into the back of the console, and like Batman said, it's the same as the PS2 with memory cards. I don't think I'd be playing football with a $500 console.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:39 PM   #29
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
I have to call you out one more time. Well, besides the fact that it's spelled B.R.E.A.K. What I was actually going to say is I'm not really sure why you are so certain that the extra hard drive is guaranteed to break. It's literally just plugged into the back of the console, and like Batman said, it's the same as the PS2 with memory cards. I don't think I'd be playing football with a $500 console.
I did not say it is guaranteed to break, I said almost guaranteed as in IMHO there is no comparison between how likely this is likely to brake over the PS5 cover by installing once (or twice) an internal SSD card.

As to why? it is not that it is plugged in the back but that is sticking out the back like a sore thumb if when it was plugged in it was covered completely by the xbox shell I would not deem it an issue. The simple answer is that in my lifetime I have seen stuff like that break.

There is also the reality of the situation

I know some have talked about switching SSDs but looking at game sizes today for PS5 the internal SSD will fit around 10 games, if I buy a 2TB SSD that is around another 30 games internal=currently play all the tie, expansion= currently play from time to time, anything else does not need to be there.

I don't know about you or batman, but I will be the only one that will take the PS5 apart to put in an SSD when needed. everyone in my household and guests use the HT where the console will be connected it is easy to say "if you are careful" but accidents do happen and not everyone else might be as carful.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5