Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

1917 (Blu-ray)
$20.55
58 min ago
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Gretel & Hansel (Blu-ray)
$19.99
14 hrs ago
Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99
14 hrs ago
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$13.36

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00

Flashdance (Blu-ray)
$22.99
7 hrs ago
Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for PS5
400-499 127 69.02%
500-599 43 23.37%
600-699 6 3.26%
700+ 8 4.35%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2020, 09:01 PM   #3561
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

End of Feb? I thought they have an event February 5
Old 01-22-2020, 09:45 PM   #3562
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I wonder if the rumour Sony have 9tf vs MS 12tf is true, and that Sony gave up on some raw power to take advantage of the much faster Samsung storage?

Surely if that's the case then we would see some pretty big differences in the way games are made on both platforms? How will 3rd parties utilise the advantages of Sonys storage vs the raw power of the Series X?

SATA3 is massively slower than NVMe so there's no way the Xbox will be able to compete with what will be a major selling point for the PS5 and one that can actually introduce a revolution in game design that hasn't been possible before.

I really wish Sony would hurry up and clear everything up. The end of Feb can't come soon enough.
It won't be 9tf.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:12 PM   #3563
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3P0 View Post
I'm not talking about it being on sale im talking about the money made from people buying Christmas gifts, you have systems and accessories and games its a gold mine for everyone
Well, i mean i can see a huge push by Sony to get out in time for Christmas 2020 and keep stock replenished as possible but it's going to be demand outstripping supply like always tbh. Guess we'll have to see in the coming months how release dates pan out but i think there's gonna be quite a few different factors around all this too for the next gen.

Quote:
I wonder if the rumour Sony have 9tf vs MS 12tf is true, and that Sony gave up on some raw power to take advantage of the much faster Samsung storage?

Surely if that's the case then we would see some pretty big differences in the way games are made on both platforms? How will 3rd parties utilise the advantages of Sonys storage vs the raw power of the Series X?

SATA3 is massively slower than NVMe so there's no way the Xbox will be able to compete with what will be a major selling point for the PS5 and one that can actually introduce a revolution in game design that hasn't been possible before.

I really wish Sony would hurry up and clear everything up. The end of Feb can't come soon enough.
I mean, from what little i did know, it didn't seem like you would have to sacrifice raw power for the faster storage but its moreso the inherent tech of the NVMe SSDs from Samsung vs Phison causing that difference. The teraflops raw power thing is more to do with the pricing imo and maybe this is too in a way with MS perhaps thinking they could cut a corner to keep pricing lower and have the performance difference be considered negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Personally i think the whole "They're just gonna be exactly like each other" based on initial reveals of being AMD CPU, GPUs and so on has been well and truly blown out the water depending on if the rumours actually turn out to be true. Which i'm sure we're going to find out very soon.

One last thing i am still curious about is the Samsung slides which basically seemed to imply they were going to be doing both PS5 & XSX storage so maybe MS approached Phison and Samsung but guess we'll have to see how it all shakes out.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:18 PM   #3564
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Of course Nvidia is already due to launch the RTX3080 and RTX3070 with 20GB of GDDR6 memory, so by the time these consoles launch PC will still be way ahead of the graphics curve as usual.

I just want to see how much of a difference Sony's SSD integration can actually make to games that is more than just super fast load times, but actually means we get game worlds that simply aren't possible using traditional storage methods.
I think the biggest problem for gaming could be whether just having tech in the box means devs are actually gonna bother to develop specifically to those strengths and ignore all the others who don't on PC, PS4, Xbox One etc. and to me, i'd say they're not. Then we have a rumour Sony may start a PC release programme for their titles with releases on EPIC & Steam stores. Meaning they're likely to also be holding back to try and sell games to PC users who don't have next gen.

Basically, i'm thinking we're only going to see a small evolution in how games are done. It could have been a small revolution and consoles imo like PS5 could have had an amazing path to show a clear advantage over PCs in terms of working to set hardwares using NVMe as standard and the custom x86 set up with RTRT. Alas, that future looks somewhat under doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
It won't be 9tf.
But you didn't question the 12Tf?

Teraflops ain't really a Teraflop anymore. It's stupid but that's technology. Unfortunately i wish it was a simple 1:1 comparison on those things but tech is a helluva pesky thing.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:30 PM   #3565
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

2x One X doesnít reflect 12TF & MS knows that plus itís other things like the NVMe SSD, RAM etc that boost its performance/power when stacked next to a 1X.

Thatís how I interpret MSís reveal anyway.

Running the same game on One X enhanced vs Pro I notice yeah the visuals & draw distance are better. However on my Pro with SSD, it schools the 1X in performance.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:38 PM   #3566
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ed-in-new-leak

Looks like the real set up of XSX ports is now leaked and a "mystery port" is present. DF think it could be a NVMe expansion port. Which would be an interesting thing since we've heard so much on how it might not be using that tech unlike Sony. Even more curious is whether it opens up the possibilities to act as good as a PS5 equivalent if true and external NVMe drives can be used.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:50 PM   #3567
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ed-in-new-leak

Looks like the real set up of XSX ports is now leaked and a "mystery port" is present. DF think it could be a NVMe expansion port. Which would be an interesting thing since we've heard so much on how it might not be using that tech unlike Sony. Even more curious is whether it opens up the possibilities to act as good as a PS5 equivalent if true and external NVMe drives can be used.
Saw that in the Series X thread. Looking at devs on twitter etc. they claim it's a debug port like that you get in the back of your TVs that is not something that will be present in the retail unit.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:57 PM   #3568
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2006
Let Me In!

i hope ray tracing can be turned off.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:03 AM   #3569
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
But you didn't question the 12Tf?

Teraflops ain't really a Teraflop anymore. It's stupid but that's technology. Unfortunately i wish it was a simple 1:1 comparison on those things but tech is a helluva pesky thing.
Oh hell I question EVERYTHING right now lol! However I do think 12tf is close to the real number. The two next gen consoles will be damn close in power and performance.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:05 AM   #3570
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Saw that in the Series X thread. Looking at devs on twitter etc. they claim it's a debug port like that you get in the back of your TVs that is not something that will be present in the retail unit.
There was that suggestion too. Maybe i'm trying to be overly optimistic for high speed external storage to play games off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
i hope ray tracing can be turned off.
Yes and no imo. I want devs to properly utilise Ray Tracing and not let performance take a massive hit. The fact its from dedicated hardwares a good sign though as it means a more focused implementation that shouldn't screw performance up too much. However i feel like many things PC has that they don't do on consoles, devs will choose the best way to use it and if we're lucky be given 3 performance presets like this gen on the enhanced consoles.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:08 AM   #3571
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Quote:
There was that suggestion too. Maybe i'm trying to be overly optimistic for high speed external storage to play games off

Yes and no imo. I want devs to properly utilise Ray Tracing and not let performance take a massive hit. The fact its from dedicated hardwares a good sign though as it means a more focused implementation that shouldn't screw performance up too much. However i feel like many things PC has that they don't do on consoles, devs will choose the best way to use it and if we're lucky be given 3 performance presets like this gen on the enhanced consoles.
If it's true Xbox isn't going the same super fast route as Sony then it could be possible that will be an option on the Series X as there isn't a real need to ensure the proper speed and bandwidth SSD is used.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:32 AM   #3572
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
If it's true Xbox isn't going the same super fast route as Sony then it could be possible that will be an option on the Series X as there isn't a real need to ensure the proper speed and bandwidth SSD is used.
I think for me personally a 2TB internal would be really ideal and then just the damn option to save all game recordings, photos, videos you create on SHAREfactory etc. to the external directly. Maybe that archive and swap feature you mentioned too if it's quick enough.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:03 AM   #3573
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
I think for me personally a 2TB internal would be really ideal and then just the damn option to save all game recordings, photos, videos you create on SHAREfactory etc. to the external directly. Maybe that archive and swap feature you mentioned too if it's quick enough.
I think itís possible we may have 2 SKUís for PS5.
1TB
2TB
Old 01-23-2020, 06:55 AM   #3574
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
I think itís possible we may have 2 SKUís for PS5.
1TB
2TB
Given the current prices and how i've seen some deals, i think 1TB is honestly the most likely and only SKU we'll get however IF we somehow have 2 SKUs and that included a 2TB for like £30-50 more, i'd probably jump on that. Especially given it can't be upgraded and externals won't likely be possible for gaming on like presently.

I feel like i just need to get into a habit of deleting games i don't play anymore but i have a little bit of a habit of keeping things installed because of how long it sometimes takes.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:06 AM   #3575
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Regarding hard drive space, didnt Mark Cerny say something months back about how PS5 games should actually use LESS hard drive space than what had to be used this generation? I forgot what his reasoning was but it seems like I recall him saying that.
UHD discs can hold 100GB of data, hopefully game devs this gen will be more on top of bugs so less patches.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #3576
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Oxford

Quote:
2x One X doesnít reflect 12TF & MS knows that plus itís other things like the NVMe SSD, RAM etc that boost its performance/power when stacked next to a 1X.

Thatís how I interpret MSís reveal anyway.

Running the same game on One X enhanced vs Pro I notice yeah the visuals & draw distance are better. However on my Pro with SSD, it schools the 1X in performance.
The Pro has a clean 4.5 teraflops of power using crossfire dual GPU tech. The 1X has just above 6 teraflops of raw muscle with 1 GPU. Even if the Pro is using the Super Channel to offload the Shaders, that still doesn't bring it close to what the 1X can do. I'm worried that Sony are going to be dependent on Cerny's Super Channel tech to make up the difference.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:03 PM   #3577
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildWhelk View Post
The Pro has a clean 4.5 teraflops of power using crossfire dual GPU tech. The 1X has just above 6 teraflops of raw muscle with 1 GPU. Even if the Pro is using the Super Channel to offload the Shaders, that still doesn't bring it close to what the 1X can do. I'm worried that Sony are going to be dependent on Cerny's Super Channel tech to make up the difference.
When it came down to it though the performance gains of the X1 over the Pro were minimised thanks to all those smart tricks Sony used and it sold at a more reasonable launch price and fared well. If MS launch more expensive out the gate for 12Tf actual performance vs 9.2Tf, that would be interesting to see how things turn out.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:06 PM   #3578
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWildWhelk View Post
Well Iíll take less Resolution for 33% faster rendering from SSD. MS has crippled the X.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #3579
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Well I’ll take less Resolution for 33% faster rendering from SSD. MS has crippled the X.
Plus lets just be honest here, other than maybe Red Dead 2, what game really demonstrates that raw power difference between the Pro and X in any meaningful way? I can't tell you how many DF videos I've watched of side by side comparisons of Pro/X games and I'm practically having to squint to see the difference. Plus, I will put the graphics of HZD, God of War, Spiderman, Days Gone, and Death Stranding up against anything running on the X. It still comes down to the talent of the developers that are using that power. I think games like Mario Kart 8 deluxe, Luigis Mansion 3, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and Mario Odyssey are beautiful to look at and those games are running on a potato.

I will say it again, the power difference between Series X and PS5 will be absolutely negligible.
Thanks given by:
Diesel (01-23-2020)
Old 01-23-2020, 12:46 PM   #3580
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

Quote:
Of course Nvidia is already due to launch the RTX3080 and RTX3070 with 20GB of GDDR6 memory, so by the time these consoles launch PC will still be way ahead of the graphics curve as usual.

I just want to see how much of a difference Sony's SSD integration can actually make to games that is more than just super fast load times, but actually means we get game worlds that simply aren't possible using traditional storage methods.
Also dont forget the new AMD High end graphics card due to launch in Feb 2020. It is supposed to be 2x as fast as 2080ti at half the price, I believe the days of overpriced video cards will come to a conclusion in 2021.

This really is about to be that generational leap that moves consoles into another category. This is essentially PS1 to Ps2 and Xbox, the end of the cart and FMV on DVD along with adding in HDD storage to your devices.

I also dont believe that MS APU is that much more powerful compared to Sonys, what amazes me is if im right and MS chose to use SATA 3 over nVME that to me would be the most baffling decision in the new consoles. I mean wed be talking r/w speeds on SATA 3 of 420mb /sec compared to nvme at 1200+.
Thanks given by:
emailking (01-23-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5