Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Sony Pictures Classics: 30th Anniversary Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$142.11
18 hrs ago
The Red Balloon and Other Stories: Five Films by Albert Lamorisse (Blu-ray)
$55.99
15 hrs ago
Blue Steel (Blu-ray)
$15.79
16 hrs ago
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$54.99
1 day ago
Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio (Blu-ray)
$32.86
2 hrs ago
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$6.00
1 hr ago
Herzog: The Collection, Vol. 2 (Blu-ray)
$45.99
1 day ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
14 hrs ago
Battleship 4K (Blu-ray)
$10.99
13 hrs ago
The Equalizer 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.55

Corpse Bride (Blu-ray)
$6.99
1 hr ago
Tenebrae 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.84
16 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat

Old 12-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #1

Aug 2007
Long Island, NY
Default Why did Warner Give the Matrix to HD-DVD only

Does anyone know why WB gave The Matrix to HD-DVD exclusively? And why 300 on HD DVD was given extras that wasn't on Blu?
Old 12-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijeff1 View Post
Does anyone know why WB gave The Matrix to HD-DVD exclusively? And why 300 on HD DVD was given extras that wasn't on Blu?
That's not true... it will come out.

It's all profile 1.1 related in my mind. 2008 you will see these releases I believe.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
Arkansas

I've read that WB was dissapointed in HD DVD sales of Matrix and wanted to wait untill we had a larger install base. We now have a larger install base, Im ready for it.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
Banned

Apr 2007

Quote:
it all has to do with profile 1.1, blu-rays spec wasn't complete back then and warner didn't want to throw an incomplete hd prodcut out. same with 300, the only extras they got was PiP which deals with 1.1, if you think they are favoring hd dvd, those days are long over, look at the HP series, all the extras on the blu are in HD, where they are in SD on HD DVD>
Old 12-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #5

Sep 2007
West of Tampa

Quote:
It was released as part of the previous management's pro-HD-DVD stance. Management has changed and since then Warner releases titles on both formats at the time with New Line releasing blu day-and-date with the DVD, delaying the HD-DVD because of no region code.

Warner is releasing the "missing" blu titles (Troy, Polar Express) now. Give it a chance and all titles will be out in Blu-ray.

Last edited by Dalese; 12-11-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Sworn super-hero now services Atlanta (and suburbs).
Send a message via AIM to CptGreedle

I believe WB used to be HD DVD exclusive a long time ago.
They went neutral after they made Matrix and Batman, to expand the user base.
Now they are waiting until the new 1.1 or 2.0 profiles are officially out.
The extras on 300 and HP are only because the profile 1.1 and 2.0 are not out yet, but I don't really care about it either myself.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #7
Power Member

Aug 2007
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstar1138 View Post
it all has to do with profile 1.1, blu-rays spec wasn't complete back then and warner didn't want to throw an incomplete hd prodcut out. same with 300, the only extras they got was PiP which deals with 1.1, if you think they are favoring hd dvd, those days are long over, look at the HP series, all the extras on the blu are in HD, where they are in SD on HD DVD>
Is that true??? I've not heard that before... that's gotta hurt for HD-DVD fans, especially since 30GB is supposed to be enough.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:15 PM   #8

Aug 2007
Long Island, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalese View Post
It was released as part of the previous management's pro-HD-DVD stance. Management has changed and since then Warner releases titles on both formats at the time with New Line releasing blu day-and-date with the DVD, delaying the HD-DVD because of no region code.

Warner is releasing the "missing" blu titles (Troy, Polar Express) now. Give it a chance and all titles will be out in Blu-ray.
I really hope your right. I don't know what HD DVD has that was released by WB because to be honest I dont care whats on HD dvd. I was pro Blu Ray even before I bought my PS3. Anyway.... I didn't know Troy was out already on HD DVD. The Matrix and Smallville Season 5 was the only ones that I knew of but I knew there where alot released to HD Dvd and not Blu Ray. And it would be nice to get Smallville too.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #9

Nov 2007
Indianapolis

It woudl be sweet if Matrix trilogy would be released soon, they are some of my favorites!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn22 View Post
Is that true??? I've not heard that before... that's gotta hurt for HD-DVD fans, especially since 30GB is supposed to be enough.
Yes it is true (check the disc specs for yourself!). But the red reviewer at HDD thinks that some crappy interactivity application is much more important than having all the extras in high def, so he actually gave the HD DVD HP OotP a higher "extras" score than the Blu one!
Old 12-11-2007, 06:32 PM   #11
Special Member

Sep 2007
Orlando, FL

I think it's safe to say that we're all looking forward to those missing Warner titles. For me it will be worth the wait if I get a product unfettered by HD DVD limitations as to how the content is encoded and utilized. This has been a sticking point with Warner on Blu for many of us, and I think you'll find agreement by a great many that the wait will have been worth it in the end. I will wait for high quality later than opt for mediocre quality now any day of the week...
Old 12-11-2007, 06:33 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

Quote:
I believe for releases like The Matrix, the previous pro-HD DVD management at Warner signed some sort of time-limited exclusivity deal. As for 300, I think it's to do with Profile 1.1 stuff.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007
College Station, TX

Steve Nickerson was the VP during this time.

Plus, based on the quality of the Matrix on HD-DVD, Id say that Toshiba paid a good amount of money to get it rushed to HD-DVD based on the fact that so much of the discs extras are in SD and not HD.

It will come.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #14
Blu-ray Archduke

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikesBluBlooded View Post
For me it will be worth the wait if I get a product unfettered by HD DVD limitations as to how the content is encoded and utilized.
My feelings exactly!!! When it comes to 'The Matrix' trilogy, I want nothing but perfection. I will not buy them if they are the same encodes as the HD DVD release. I'd rather stick with my SD discs if that's the case. I'm not going to spend $100+ for the three films again just to have them look a little bit better.

Besides, there are going to be towers of titles to keep me satisfied and occupied in the meantime while awaiting the proper transfer of 'The Matrix' to be processed.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:40 PM   #15

Oct 2007
Mississauga, ON, Canada

Quote:
It's true for US release, but in the UK they will have them in HD. Don't know why.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:17 PM   #16
Banned

May 2007
Brussels, Belgium

Quote:
Cause back then, Warner was in love with HD-DVD but now they are turning around. The BD not being profile 1.1 back then does not seem to be the reason IMO, because if it was the case, they would have put PiP in the Harry Potter Blurays or not released them at all on Blu ...
Old 12-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #17
Special Member

Jan 2007
San Diego, CA
Send a message via Yahoo to jermwhl

Quote:
Actually its not true. Only order of the phoenix is "partially HD", the rest is 480i/p
Old 12-11-2007, 10:53 PM   #18
Power Member

Nov 2007
The Last Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDG View Post
I've read that WB was dissapointed in HD DVD sales of Matrix and wanted to wait untill we had a larger install base. We now have a larger install base, Im ready for it.
That has to be bullshit (not you, but the article you read). How does that explain other questionable WB release in the BD format? Do I need to list them?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:57 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2006
Ontario, Canada

Look at the bright side, they got a bunch of flipper discs.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:45 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
AB,Canada

I hope they don't just put out a box set. They should do what they did with Harry Potter and what Fox did with die hard and release all of them plus the box set. More sales that way.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat