Best PS5 Games Deals

Best PS5 Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition (PS5)
$29.99

NBA 2K21 (PS5)
$49.99

Control (PS5)
$39.99

Fifa 21 (PS5)
$59.94

Watch Dogs: Legion (PS5)
$24.99

Godfall (PS5)
$41.61

Maneater (PS5)
$29.00
4 hrs ago
Hitman 3 (PS5)
$49.94

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (PS5)
$69.00

Ratchet & Clank (PS5)
$69.88

Override 2 (PS5)
$29.99

The Nioh Collection (PS5)
$69.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5

Old 01-21-2021, 11:53 PM   #621
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

They definitely need to address the BS of storing PS5 games to an external. MS has literally pulled their pants down on transitioning players from One X to Series X whilst Sony have been absolutely PATHETIC.

I genuinely cannot understand how such a huge multi billion dollar and PROFITABLE division cannot get their heads out their arses to realise they need to ensure all existing features port over for ease of use and THEN add new features on top.

Right now, they're lucky they have games coming and demand on their side to weather things a bit but the fact that these pathetic UI and software issues were NOT resolved before launch is telling.
Thanks given by:
emailking (01-22-2021), Talal86 (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 04:05 AM   #622
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
They definitely need to address the BS of storing PS5 games to an external. MS has literally pulled their pants down on transitioning players from One X to Series X whilst Sony have been absolutely PATHETIC.

I genuinely cannot understand how such a huge multi billion dollar and PROFITABLE division cannot get their heads out their arses to realise they need to ensure all existing features port over for ease of use and THEN add new features on top.

Right now, they're lucky they have games coming and demand on their side to weather things a bit but the fact that these pathetic UI and software issues were NOT resolved before launch is telling.
Yeah, it's almost like the PS5 was made by a small independent tech team developing a new console, but not knowing how to add many expected features that would actually advance the console in not just power, but basic functions. Sony has endless resources, so their only valid excuse is the pandemic affecting working from home.

But yeah, if Microsoft can pull it off even during lockdowns, then Sony could've done the same if they had the same scenario.

Seriously though, both consoles are severely lacking content that shows off what these consoles can hopefully really offer. They both should've been delayed until November 2021.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:54 AM   #623
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
Yeah, it's almost like the PS5 was made by a small independent tech team developing a new console, but not knowing how to add many expected features that would actually advance the console in not just power, but basic functions. Sony has endless resources, so their only valid excuse is the pandemic affecting working from home.

But yeah, if Microsoft can pull it off even during lockdowns, then Sony could've done the same if they had the same scenario.

Seriously though, both consoles are severely lacking content that shows off what these consoles can hopefully really offer. They both should've been delayed until November 2021.
You're not wrong given the pathetic amount of stock both of these consoles have had so far, "biggest launch in history" or not. Still, the lack of showcase games isn't exactly that uncommon at this stage.

Microsoft took some crap for the UI being the same on the Series X and S as last gen, but other than it not being in 4K (more to prevent the black screen when switching between game and the home screen than what it looks like), I'd say it's not that big of a deal since the PS5's UI is essentially the PS4's with makeup on. Sure, it looks prettier, but once you dig deeper it is very similar to the PS4's, just without some things that should not be missing or replaced. I believe some things are just because Sony really wasn't ready to release the PS5, but the fact that there hasn't been a system update in a while isn't encouraging even during a pandemic.

Being able to store PS5 games on an external hard drive should be a feature by now. Technically it should have been on Day 1, but there's little excuse as to why Sony is still sitting on it. I'll give them the fact that we can't add another hard drive yet, but this shouldn't require much manpower.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 10:39 AM   #624
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
What will likely happen is what I donít want.

Sony will probably only allow PS5 games to be stored on NVMe drives they hand pick.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:25 AM   #625
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2005
England

I don't see any reason not to believe what Sony have shared so far on their implementation of their SSD; that it is part of the overall architecture of the console, which is why it should deliver faster data transfer than any other type of drive out there.

So when developers make good use of the the drive to ensure smooth data loads that the player doesn't notice, Sony just want to ensure that when additional storage is available, the games ability to load data isn't compromised and the players experience remains the same.

Sony have said they are working with drive manufacturers to make sure this is the case, so expansion drives need to meet a minimum performance criteria that Sony will set, to ensure you experience no difference to your PS5 games whether they are on the built in, or expanded storage.

And the reason both consoles aren't offering tons of space is simply that these drives are expensive right now. The expansion drives will be pricey too to start with.

Their recommendation is to put your PS4 games on an external drive and use the internal storage for PS5 games.

But even if it came with 2Tb of storage, there would still be moaners.
Thanks given by:
BIGRED1977 (01-23-2021), mlabonte21 (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 02:02 PM   #626
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

If MS allows use of an external hard drive to store games only, then PS5 should offer that useful feature too, even if you can't play the games stored on there. At least it would be a place to keep games without having to reinstall or download them all over again if that's possible.

If they're stored on an external HDD, then can they be easily transferred to the SSD on the PS5? If that becomes possible?

But yeah, I bought a 3.1 USB external HDD just for the PS5 last year and then learned the PS5 doesn't even support external HDD storage for PS5 games. 665 GB of storage is nothing these days yet that's what Sony is offering with the PS5 as the sole option.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:16 PM   #627
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
If MS allows use of an external hard drive to store games only, then PS5 should offer that useful feature too, even if you can't play the games stored on there. At least it would be a place to keep games without having to reinstall or download them all over again if that's possible.

If they're stored on an external HDD, then can they be easily transferred to the SSD on the PS5? If that becomes possible?

But yeah, I bought a 3.1 USB external HDD just for the PS5 last year and then learned the PS5 doesn't even support external HDD storage for PS5 games. 665 GB of storage is nothing these days yet that's what Sony is offering with the PS5 as the sole option.
Yeah, there's no reason why Sony shouldn't allow us to do just that at some point (again, we should already be able to). If what Derb said actually happens, that would be a complete joke. You can store Series X games right now on both external SSDs and even regular external HDDs, starting at launch. It gives you a message that you can only store them and not play them from an HDD, but the option is still there to store games regardless.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:20 PM   #628
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quick resume is the main Xbox feature I’d like to see ported over. Load times make it less essential, but it’s nice to be able to swap games and have it basically make a save state so you don’t lose progress in one game when switching to another if you weren’t near a save point. Especially if playing games with infrequent save points.
Thanks given by:
Derb (01-24-2021), Talal86 (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 04:30 PM   #629
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Quick resume is the main Xbox feature Iíd like to see ported over. Load times make it less essential, but itís nice to be able to swap games and have it basically make a save state so you donít lose progress in one game when switching to another if you werenít near a save point. Especially if playing games with infrequent save points.
I noticed that the ps5 doesnít warn that Ďthe application will be closedí when you launch a game while youíre playing something else (like the ps4) so having temporary save state isnít a bad idea

I clicked on a different game from the main screen by mistake the other day, and lost a little bit of progress
Thanks given by:
dmaul1114 (01-22-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 04:58 PM   #630
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talal86 View Post
I noticed that the ps5 doesnít warn that Ďthe application will be closedí when you launch a game while youíre playing something else (like the ps4) so having temporary save state isnít a bad idea

I clicked on a different game from the main screen by mistake the other day, and lost a little bit of progress
Yeah I did the same last night when I launched the RE Maiden demo after the download finished notification popped up. Didnít think about it as Iím used to XSX as Iíve mostly been gaming on that the past month.
Thanks given by:
Talal86 (01-22-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 06:54 PM   #631
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

I’ll add another Xbox feature I’d like to see on the PS5–Spotify at the system level that you can play during games with a quick menu toggle to pause, skip tracks and set the balance between music and game audio.

Would never use it for story driven games that are scored etc, but f’ing fantastic for things like racing games and playing your own music instead of whatever crap is in the licensed soundtrack.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:59 AM   #632
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Quick resume is the main Xbox feature Iíd like to see ported over. Load times make it less essential, but itís nice to be able to swap games and have it basically make a save state so you donít lose progress in one game when switching to another if you werenít near a save point. Especially if playing games with infrequent save points.
I thought as many others probably did before launch, PS5 would have this.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:14 AM   #633
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2015
SoCal

Quote:
Iíll add another Xbox feature Iíd like to see on the PS5ĖSpotify at the system level that you can play during games with a quick menu toggle to pause, skip tracks and set the balance between music and game audio.

Would never use it for story driven games that are scored etc, but fíing fantastic for things like racing games and playing your own music instead of whatever crap is in the licensed soundtrack.
Didn't think about Spotify integration until I got a PS5 but only played music on the home screen so far. Does it stop playing when you enter a game or app? If it does I really don't see the point in including it unless you use the PS5 as a complete media hub.

I would definitely like the ability to make mix presets for games. When I play alone or stream I want full game volume but when I play MP with people vs alone I want a chat/game level presets so I'm not having to change it every time. Adding spotify/game level presets to that would be the best setup.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:27 PM   #634
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkRomanoff View Post
Didn't think about Spotify integration until I got a PS5 but only played music on the home screen so far. Does it stop playing when you enter a game or app? If it does I really don't see the point in including it unless you use the PS5 as a complete media hub.

I would definitely like the ability to make mix presets for games. When I play alone or stream I want full game volume but when I play MP with people vs alone I want a chat/game level presets so I'm not having to change it every time. Adding spotify/game level presets to that would be the best setup.
Yeah for now Spotify on PS5 (unless itís changed recently) is not useable while playing games, so itís just for those that use their console as a media hub. To be fair, thatís still useful and several of my friends use their PS4 or whatever console they have as their only media hub as they donít see a need for a Roku or Apple TV or standalone Blu-ray player etc.

Iíd just like to see the same integration as in Xbox as itís as great driving around for a few hours in Forza Horizon 4 with music I actually enjoyed instead of the in-game radio stations. Itís not something Iíd use in most games, just things were thereís usually licenses music playing all or most of the time like this. So great for things like a racing game or Tony Hawk game etc. Or when doing menial tasks in some RPGs or whatever (gathering mats and crafting and so on).
Old 01-24-2021, 03:59 PM   #635
Power Member

Apr 2012
Kentucky

I was playing Spotify last night through the PS5 while playing Cold War. Worked perfectly for me.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:06 PM   #636
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sozo View Post
I was playing Spotify last night through the PS5 while playing Cold War. Worked perfectly for me.
Hmm, wonder if they updated something or it’s a matter of only working with some games that allow it. Or if I just did something wrong when I tried near launch.

Is their a slider somewhere to adjust the balance of Spotify and game audio? I had to put it to 20% Spotify/80% game to not have the music blaring too loud on Forza Horizon 4 on XSX yesterday.

Edit: digging around on Sony’s site it says Spotify playback while gaming works with “compatible” PS4 and PS5 games. Think I tried with Miles Morales or Demon’s Souls just seeing if it worked so guess those aren’t compatible (or I did something wrong). Which is fine as I wouldn’t want outside music for that kind of game anyway, just something like GT7 down the road. Didn’t see any mention of a Spotify vs. Game audio balance slider though. Mentions using the Spotify connect feature to control with a phone so guess you can just turn the volume up or down that way or in the control center in the system menu. That’s not the same as a balance toggle, but probably good enough.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 01-24-2021 at 04:15 PM.
Thanks given by:
Sozo (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 04:12 PM   #637
Power Member

Apr 2012
Kentucky

Quote:
Hmm, wonder if they updated something or it’s a matter of only working with some games that allow it. Or if I just did something wrong when I tried near launch.

Is their a slider somewhere to adjust the balance of Spotify and game audio? I had to put it to 20% Spotify/80% game to not have the music blaring too loud on Forza Horizon 4 on XSX yesterday.

TBH I didn't really have to do much. It was the first time I downloaded Spotify--turned on a track, went back into Cold War and it was playing. I didn't adjust anything. I'm wondering if it's game specific as well but it was seamless from main PS5 menu to game transition. I'll try some other games later and see how it goes.
Old 01-24-2021, 04:21 PM   #638
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
TBH I didn't really have to do much. It was the first time I downloaded Spotify--turned on a track, went back into Cold War and it was playing. I didn't adjust anything. I'm wondering if it's game specific as well but it was seamless from main PS5 menu to game transition. I'll try some other games later and see how it goes.
I didnít get my edit in fast enough. . See it above, looks like it is an issue of game compatibility so it probably works in some games and not others.

Iíll have to play around with it at some point too and see if I can get the music vs. game audio balance decent (assuming it works in games Iíd want to use it in). On XSX itís just hit the xbox button, go to the audio section of the quick menu and thereís a balance slider for Spotify vs. game audio (similarly to the chat vs. game audio slider for online gaming).
Thanks given by:
Sozo (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 04:38 PM   #639
Power Member

Apr 2012
Kentucky

Alright, had a few minutes to goof off.

When I started up Spotify, it automatically turned off the soundtrack in Cold War. In the "Sound" panel, it has a "Media Volume" section. I turned it all the way down, went into Cold War, and there was no music coming from the game. I turned Spotify totally off, and Cold War's internal soundtrack started back up.

I then added the "Music" panel to my single-press home screen, and it let me play Spotify quickly. So now when I quick press the PS button, it brings up Spotify on a "card" and let's me pause from there. I can also press the "Music" button and it will bring up a quick access Spotify card with my playlists.

It definitely needs some work to be more seamless...feels like I had to jump through hoops to get it to work. But I'm sort of happy with it right now. I hate the feeling of resistance though when it should be really quick and smooth.

Edit: Just tried Madden '20 and I get both Spotify and Madden soundtracks playing at the same time. I guess I'm not super surprised but as you said, there needs to be a slider.
Thanks given by:
dmaul1114 (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 05:31 PM   #640
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Alright, had a few minutes to goof off.

When I started up Spotify, it automatically turned off the soundtrack in Cold War. In the "Sound" panel, it has a "Media Volume" section. I turned it all the way down, went into Cold War, and there was no music coming from the game. I turned Spotify totally off, and Cold War's internal soundtrack started back up.

I then added the "Music" panel to my single-press home screen, and it let me play Spotify quickly. So now when I quick press the PS button, it brings up Spotify on a "card" and let's me pause from there. I can also press the "Music" button and it will bring up a quick access Spotify card with my playlists.

It definitely needs some work to be more seamless...feels like I had to jump through hoops to get it to work. But I'm sort of happy with it right now. I hate the feeling of resistance though when it should be really quick and smooth.

Edit: Just tried Madden '20 and I get both Spotify and Madden soundtracks playing at the same time. I guess I'm not super surprised but as you said, there needs to be a slider.
Unfortunately the slide wonít fix the double soundtrack option even on Xbox. Just have to go into the game audio settings and turn the music off/all the way down. Slider just affects balance of whatever audio the game is putting out (including music if left on) and the Spotify music.

Not a huge deal as in something like Forza the music just stays all the way down once you change that setting and Iíll never want to listen to the in-game radio/music again anyway. Balance slider is just handy for getting the ration of music to other game noises to your liking.
Thanks given by:
Sozo (01-24-2021)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS5