Best Xbox SX Games Deals

Best Xbox SX Games Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Xbox XS)
$29.99
1 day ago
The Falconeer - Day One Edition (Xbox XS)
$24.99

NBA 2K21 (Xbox XS)
$86.99

SCARLET NEXUS (Xbox XS)
$59.99

Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate (Xbox XS)
$39.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X

Old 01-22-2021, 07:14 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
Default Xbox live gold price just doubled.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/01/...-gold-pricing/

Well this will go over well...

Looks like it's for new accounts only.

Honestly, I feel like at that price they're just looking to have everyone who's just Gold to go to Game Pass
Old 01-22-2021, 07:44 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2018
Seattle

Yeah they def doing this for game pass. No doubt.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:30 PM   #3
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Derry, or at least it feels like it.

Fortnite just became 120 a year on Xbox. For every good thing Xbox does, they seem to take two steps back. They really do want to bully everyone into gamespass ultimate, and that SUCKS.
Thanks given by:
ArchiTech (01-28-2021), Firefoxie (01-23-2021)
Old 01-22-2021, 08:41 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma_Winstead View Post
Fortnite just became 120 a year on Xbox. For every good thing Xbox does, they seem to take two steps back. They really do want to bully everyone into gamespass ultimate, and that SUCKS.
eh, to each their own. Game Pass is the best deal in gaming, in my opinion.

If someone has an xbox just for f2p games, then they got the wrong system.
That was true 5 years ago as well.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:21 AM   #5
Power Member

Jul 2012

Looks like Microsoft has backtracked and Gold memberships will remain the same prices as they were. Also, free to play games will no longer require a gold membership.
Thanks given by:
JayTL (01-23-2021), TripleHBK (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 05:27 AM   #6

Nov 2016
Twin Peaks

Gamepass is an okay deal, but in my personal opinion I still think $180 for ultimate is a little pricey. You don't exactly own any of those games or anything, you don't get the dlc, and they aren't suddenly going to stop putting microtransactions in either. It's only a matter of time before paying your GPU subscription is just the tip of the iceberg.

Microsoft tried to bully people into it today though. Gamepass is a great OPTION but gamers shouldnt be required to subscribe to it to be able to play online. That's exactly the route they wanted to go down. "Why pay for just gold when you could spend a little extra and get gamepass Ultimate too!" it's super gross to defend that regardless of your perceived value of gamepass. There is no reason to raise live's price like that. There's no reason to take those options away. Hell, there shouldn't be paywall for accessing online games from either Sony or Microsoft, but it's clearly too late for that.

Microsoft also knew it was shady and greedy because they already retracted their statement about the price hike. It didn't last for 24 hours! It that doesn't say their were trying to pull one on gamers I don't know what does. Now f2p games are actually f2p... finally entering 2013 with the rest of the industry.

Not only that but they waited for the generation to be two months in before announcing it. They knowingly let rumors circulate for months that gold would be done away with, sold their consoles, then pulled the rug out by announcing they'd double it. If it wasn't for gamers showing they were against it today, we'd all be stuck paying 120 a year. It's pretty indefensible, and exactly in line with how they started the last generation where they got their asses kicked.
Thanks given by:
ArchiTech (01-28-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 01:01 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013

$120, not $180 (and I've had Gamepass for like 2 years and I have never paid that much anyway, easy to get on sale).

I always bought my games digitally, so I know what ownership "rights" I have. The amount of money I saved (or could have saved by not buying a game that showed up later) is insane with Gamepass.

All your other points (mtx, dlc) affects everyone, not just Gamepass so I'm not sure what your point with that is.

I wouldn't be suprised if they just eliminated Gold completely (since that has been rumored for about a year now), and just made Gamepass it's service.

The timing sucks, but honestly with that fast of a turnaround, I'm a little suspicious of the whole thing. I almost feel they announced it for the purpose of looking good cancelling it.
Thanks given by:
DragonOfTheBlackPool (01-23-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 01:03 PM   #8
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoxie View Post
Gamepass is an okay deal, but in my personal opinion I still think $180 for ultimate is a little pricey. You don't exactly own any of those games or anything, you don't get the dlc, and they aren't suddenly going to stop putting microtransactions in either. It's only a matter of time before paying your GPU subscription is just the tip of the iceberg.

Microsoft tried to bully people into it today though. Gamepass is a great OPTION but gamers shouldnt be required to subscribe to it to be able to play online. That's exactly the route they wanted to go down. "Why pay for just gold when you could spend a little extra and get gamepass Ultimate too!" it's super gross to defend that regardless of your perceived value of gamepass. There is no reason to raise live's price like that. There's no reason to take those options away. Hell, there shouldn't be paywall for accessing online games from either Sony or Microsoft, but it's clearly too late for that.

Microsoft also knew it was shady and greedy because they already retracted their statement about the price hike. It didn't last for 24 hours! It that doesn't say their were trying to pull one on gamers I don't know what does. Now f2p games are actually f2p... finally entering 2013 with the rest of the industry.

Not only that but they waited for the generation to be two months in before announcing it. They knowingly let rumors circulate for months that gold would be done away with, sold their consoles, then pulled the rug out by announcing they'd double it. If it wasn't for gamers showing they were against it today, we'd all be stuck paying 120 a year. It's pretty indefensible, and exactly in line with how they started the last generation where they got their asses kicked.
Well, technically very few of us would actually have been stuck paying $120 a year. As long as you had a 6 or 12 month membership already, you would have been grandfathered to regular price. The price hike was only for new subscribers or ones with 3 months or less subscriptions.

Not saying you, but a lot of people overreacted because they saw it was going to be $120 a year like they do for almost everything without bothering to really read everything. This wouldn't have effected as many people as the backlash made it seem like, but obviously it was still a really bad and ill timed move for them. I'm glad to see they backtracked, but obviously they shouldn't have tried it in the first place. Shoving Game Pass down our throats is not the way to get us to happily subscribe (even though I already have it).

Also, in all fairness to Microsoft, Sony has been sitting on their asses twiddling their thumbs with the storage issues with the PS5 (no way to expand the internal memory or store PS5 games on external drives) and ushered in the $70 price tag for games. If they don't address the former by Summer, I'll likely have to buy another Series X (sold mine to somebody at work) to play 3rd party titles and then just use my PS5 for exclusives. At least it seems Microsoft cares, minus yesterday's screw-up.
Thanks given by:
BillieCassin (01-25-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 01:26 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/01/...-gold-pricing/

They went back on it after the blowback. No changes to prices and F2P games will no longer require Gold.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:03 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2017

Microsoft is often the first to try something and take all the heat for it before it becomes common place, so this leads me to believe a lot of prices for a lot of services are going up soon. devaluation = acceleration
Thanks given by:
JayTL (01-24-2021)
Old 01-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #11
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

MS is no stranger to making the 8th gen have MTX. All there 1st Party launch games had MTX.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:05 AM   #12
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
Columbiana, OH
Send a message via MSN to KilloWertz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
MS is no stranger to making the 8th gen have MTX. All there 1st Party launch games had MTX.
Huh?
Thanks given by:
JayTL (01-28-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 12:25 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
Cincinnati, OH
Send a message via AIM to QuasidodoJr

I use my GamePass so much, I couldn’t even imagine going back to just regular Gold. I try, and play through, all kinds of games that turn out to be a lot of fun that I never would have even considered playing, beforehand. Multiple generation backwards compatibility is a big deal for me, also.

I still think it shows a step in the right direction listening to the backlash and recanting.

The Series X is a fantastic console, so far. The only issue is there not being enough new game content. But that will change in the next year.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:51 AM   #14

Jul 2011
Eastern WA

Gamepass is $14.99/month which makes it $180.00/year. It seemed like a good deal to get the upgrade for a dollar as your current gold subscription time was extended a year but after mine ran out they wanted to charge the current price of $14.99 each month. That just wasnt a good deal for me personally as i already owned most of the games on this pass. I know they add new games and take away games occasionally but i called and had them convert me back to a years worth if gold for $59.99. Ill never go back to gamepass.
Thanks given by:
ArchiTech (01-28-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 02:39 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
Cincinnati, OH

There is so much fantastic content on GamePass, especially if you actually dig into some of the incredibly fun and deep indie game titles.

I guess it can depend on your personal situation, but I canít understand how so many people are okay with paying Netflix $18 a month at $216/year, but canít see the value in the GamePass.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:31 AM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Yeah, I love Gamepass. Wish I’d held off on getting a PS5 as it’s looking to get relatively little use this year as Gamepass games eat up a lot of my time as there’s so much I want to play on there and I’m mostly caught up on PS4 games I want to play, so PS5 will just get used for new exclusives. Multiplats I’ll probably get on XSX as well as I like my Elite V1 controller more than the Dualsense.

I’ve got Gamepass through Feb 2023 from buying some years of gold cheap and converting a while back. I can see maybe not keeping it all the time after that runs out if I get caught up on games I want to play, but would still be a great deal to buy a month or three here and there when games are released to it I want to play.

I don’t care about owning my games or other media anymore as almost never revisit anything. If I buy a physical game it’s solely so I can sell it when done to recoup some cost vs. buying digitally. I’d rather just play on a service like Gamepass where possible, just like I prefer streaming movies and music etc. anymore. Just cheaper and more convenient for someone who doesn’t care to own/collect things anymore.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 01-25-2021 at 09:51 PM.
Thanks given by:
QuasidodoJr (01-26-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 07:52 AM   #17
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuasidodoJr View Post
There is so much fantastic content on GamePass, especially if you actually dig into some of the incredibly fun and deep indie game titles.

I guess it can depend on your personal situation, but I canít understand how so many people are okay with paying Netflix $18 a month at $216/year, but canít see the value in the GamePass.
Iíd rather own the Licences for games. The majority of people think Gamepass is a good deal. I see it as a rental service.

I agree though that $18 is steep for Netflix especially since they donít offer 4K HDR content outside of their own releases. If they did offer 4K HDR for everything, that would probably kill off physical media for good.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:59 AM   #18
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilloWertz View Post
Huh?
Yeah I guess my point is it didnít surprise me 1 bit MS tried to see if they could double the price of Gold.

It wouldnít surprise me either if Sony tried to double the price of Plus.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:53 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuasidodoJr View Post
I use my GamePass so much, I couldnít even imagine going back to just regular Gold. I try, and play through, all kinds of games that turn out to be a lot of fun that I never would have even considered playing, beforehand. Multiple generation backwards compatibility is a big deal for me, also.

I still think it shows a step in the right direction listening to the backlash and recanting.

The Series X is a fantastic console, so far. The only issue is there not being enough new game content. But that will change in the next year.
I barely ever play online, apart from when I get in a Dark Souls PvP or Street Fighter V mood for a couple months, or a return to Diablo III. Occasionally an oddball game like Helldivers. Or when I finally gave Destiny 2 a whirl awhile back and got hooked on it for a few weeks, before falling off. Sometimes I play games with user generated content too. Not a multiplayer shooter dude at all, and I kinda resent having to pay for online when I'm not a power user.

Conversely, I use the hell out of Game Pass and also really value backwards compatibility too.
Thanks given by:
dmaul1114 (01-25-2021), QuasidodoJr (01-26-2021)
Old 01-26-2021, 12:41 AM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
Cincinnati, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
I’d rather own the Licences for games. The majority of people think Gamepass is a good deal. I see it as a rental service.

I agree though that $18 is steep for Netflix especially since they don’t offer 4K HDR content outside of their own releases. If they did offer 4K HDR for everything, that would probably kill off physical media for good.
I still buy some of my games, also. But if it’s something I know I’m probably only going to play through once, or fully complete and be done with, the GamePass is perfect.

Again, I play SOOoooo many games that I never would have given a chance, otherwise. And I’ve found so many games that I really enjoyed because of it. And the fact that I can actually INSTALL 360 games that are included, it handily tops the lackluster streaming feature for PS3 games on PlayStation Now.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox Series X