Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
7 hrs ago
The Poison Ivy Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
7 hrs ago
Escape from New York 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
7 hrs ago
Cat People 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
7 hrs ago
Triangle of Sadness 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.54
 
Lifeforce 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
7 hrs ago
Halloween Ends (Blu-ray)
$17.99
5 hrs ago
Species 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
7 hrs ago
The Fisher King 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
Romeo and Juliet (Blu-ray)
$21.49
1 day ago
12 Angry Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
 
Jet Li Double Feature: The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 04-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #141
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
116
855
Default

Isn't he? Read the post again.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #142
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
23
668
3104
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
I don't think he's arguing the fact that family comes first Steedeel. It is also awesome that you(and a few others) have the luxury of watching something in one sitting, it is. Unfortunately some of us have priorities that take precendence. This has nothing to do with that, home theaters or viewing habits. This about the backwards compatibility of the BD pause function and a member having issues when they hit the pause button. As others have pointed out, there is no reason that a movie shouldn't resume once you hit the pause button. Now that being said, I'm going to ask the mods to shut this thread down. Because at this point it is a full blown pissing contest.
I have to disagree, it's not about that, because it's already been established in this thread that there is solutions to the problem the OP was having with pausing, therefore pausing should be a non issue when you want to resume playback of a disc. However pressing the stop or power buttons, now that's a different story.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:23 PM   #143
JasonHensley JasonHensley is offline
Senior Member
 
JasonHensley's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
96
1221
39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Seriously, how hard can it be to watch a movie in its entirety? Unless we are talking emergencies I always manage it. Just tell family not to phone in that time, take a leak, turn mobile off and have snacks at hand. Sorted. In my opinion, it is nitpicking and the type of thing that gives bluray a bad name. So what if we have to search through the movie to the point we are currently at. It takes, like, seconds to do that. Just use the fastest fast forward option. It's like people that complain about trailers and give that as a reason why they are dumping bluray. We have the privilege of watching high bit rate full hd on our home cinema. We could only dream of that several years ago. Get over yourselves guys! (Just my opinion)
This was one of your first responses. Instead of helping the guy out and telling him it is a setting on his player he might could change you criticize and say tell your family not to phone in while watching a movie. Who is gonna take the time to text or call and say hey mom, dad, sister, cousin, and whatever else and be like I'm getting ready to watch a movie, don't disturb me. If I'm at home, and a family member calls I'm going to answer because you never know what it could be. To me, defending a simply feature that his been around for years and years is pointless. If the feature hadn't been around already for 3 decades nearly I could see it not being a big deal. Truth is, not matter how small a problem, it's still a problem.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #144
cricepng cricepng is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
cricepng's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
alternates between Papua New Guinea and Pennsylvania
14
295
1414
304
537
4
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
I have to disagree, it's not about that, because it's already been established in this thread that there is solutions to the problem the OP was having with pausing, therefore pausing should be a non issue when you want to resume playback of a disc. However pressing the stop or power buttons, now that's a different story.
I agree. The OP's issue has been dealt with. The side issue of going through hoops to resume watching some BDs after stopping is still an annoyance for some, but not directly the pause/resume issue. I would recommend a new thread for that issue, but I don't think anything will come of it other than more pettiness and bickering.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #145
Steedeel Steedeel is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
Steedeel's Avatar
 
Apr 2011
England
116
855
Default

Ok, fair enough.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #146
JasonHensley JasonHensley is offline
Senior Member
 
JasonHensley's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
96
1221
39
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricepng View Post
I agree. The OP's issue has been dealt with. The side issue of going through hoops to resume watching some BDs after stopping is still an annoyance for some, but not directly the pause/resume issue. I would recommend a new thread for that issue, but I don't think anything will come of it other than more pettiness and bickering.

Yeah, I kinda took the OP's original topic 2 ways. The first can be dealt with by changing a setting in the menu more then likely. At least on every blu-ray player I have. The second was he may still have been wondering why if you power off the blu-ray player does it have to reload, especially since that was no the case with other formats in the past. Just wanted it to be clear many titles don't start from where you stopped it at.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #147
The_Donster The_Donster is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
The_Donster's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas
1
216
231
14
Default

I think you're just proving my point Cevolution. This back and forth has been going on so long that I've lost track of what the OP issue was. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I don't come to the forum to get in heated arguments with others.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #148
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
23
668
3104
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
I think you're just proving my point Cevolution. This back and forth has been going on so long that I've lost track of what the OP issue was. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I don't come to the forum to get in heated arguments with others.
If the thread was nothing more than pointless back and forth like you claim then that would be proving your point, however that's not the case, because other than a few posts from a small number of members, most other members comments have been productive where they were friendly discussing the topic and offering advice on how to help the OP (and some others) with this issue. With the exception of those small number of posts which caused some minor controversy between a few members, how has the whole thread become a heated argument between members? I don't think the majority who have commented in the thread are involved in a heated argument, and I'm sure nor do they want to be, this is nothing more than an over exaggeration on your part. If you see everyones involvement in this thread like that then I'm curious as to why, cause I don't see it like that? It almost seem like you have taken some comments in this thread personally, which would explain your reaction and why you requested for the thread to be closed, when there is no real reason to justify it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #149
The_Donster The_Donster is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
The_Donster's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas
1
216
231
14
Default

No, I try not to take things too personally. More frustrated than anything with the attitude of certain members. Anyway, I've said all I need to regarding the matter and I'm done. My feeling is the thread should be closed because the OP issue has been solved.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #150
JasonHensley JasonHensley is offline
Senior Member
 
JasonHensley's Avatar
 
Aug 2008
96
1221
39
Default

I don't see the purpose in closing this thread. It can be a useful topic for people new to the blu-ray universe. My biggest problem was posters telling the OP and others the correct way to watch a movie. Their was no need for that.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:20 PM   #151
cricepng cricepng is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
cricepng's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
alternates between Papua New Guinea and Pennsylvania
14
295
1414
304
537
4
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonHensley View Post
I don't see the purpose in closing this thread. It can be a useful topic for people new to the blu-ray universe. My biggest problem was posters telling the OP and others the correct way to watch a movie. Their was no need for that.
The good info already posted by some would still be available for people. It's just that new posts wouldn't be added. This is a good thing as these posts aren't really adding anything to the OP's issue. In closing the thread, someone who faces this issue can search for the thread and not have to wade through hundreds of pages of people arguing whether pausing a movie is a good thing or not.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #152
DGates01 DGates01 is offline
Active Member
 
DGates01's Avatar
 
May 2010
California
22
Default

As Cevolution has stated, this is more an issue with the individual studios enabling a resume feature. It's always nice when you have that option, but Blu-rays are much more complex than DVD's, so I'm sure it's not as easy as it seems.

I was watching the bonus features on the History of Violence BD, and errands had me stop right in the middle of one of the featurettes. I actually kind of forgot about it, and 45 minutes later, I hit Play, and maybe 10 seconds later it started back at the same point in featurette. So convenient.

The film was a New Line feature. I'm not sure if that's typical of their Blu-rays or not.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 07:14 PM   #153
JakeOx JakeOx is offline
New Member
 
May 2022
UK
Default

We run a small community cinema and use either Blu-ray or DVD media to show the films. We don't have the funding to move to streaming or equivalent digital media.

Our current set up means we can either show a film from the Blu-ray player or a Powerpoint presentation from a PC and this is switchable.

We have a break half way through the film for comfort breaks, drinks, raffle etc and we pause the film so we can restart from where we paused. The screen is switched to a Powerpoint display during pause so there is no problem with burning a screen with a static image.

Problem - sometimes the pause function doesn't work and when we go back to restart the film the player has either resumed play or has reset to the start of the film. Neither of these is acceptable as we then have to search back to the break point which spoils continuity.

Questions - is the issue with media or player (or even both!?)
The player is about 10 years old - will a new Blu-ray player be any better?
Is there an industry standard length of time for a Pause function?

Any guidance will be appreciated.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:51 PM   #154
AmishParadise AmishParadise is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
AmishParadise's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Central Florida
23
1
Default

Regarding resuming playback after pressing stop...
If any of the below User Operations (UO) are prohibited for a given playlist (MPLS) it will not be possible to resume playback after pressing, "Stop". This is the case for both HDMV and BD-J based Blu-ray's.

UO20: Forward Play
UO19: Backward Play
UO17: Move up selected button
UO16: Move down selected button
UO15: Move left selected button
UO14: Move right selected button
UO13: Select button
UO12: Activate button
UO11: Select and activate button

Other restrictions could prevent BD-J based Blu-ray's from resuming playback. I can't speak to that as I've only created HDMV based Blu-ray's myself. When doing so I'm always careful to not prohibit any of the above UO's if the given playlist is used to play a movie or TV episode for example.

BDedit is a free application which provides for viewing what UO's may be prohibited for a given playlist (MPLS). Just browse to the Blu-ray's "BDMV" folder using BDedit and go to the "PLAYLIST" tab. From the "PLAYLIST" tab each playlist (MPLS) can be selected. A long series of checkboxes towards the top of the application (AppInfoPlaylist) indicate which UO's are prohibited. If the given Blu-ray is being read off a hard drive one can change what UO's are prohibited if any, then saving the changes.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:19 PM.