Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Jackie Chan Collection: Volume 2 (1983-1993) (Blu-ray)
$80.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Icons of Horror Collection Vol. 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$38.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Eleventh Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99
1 day ago
Heart of Dragon (Blu-ray)
$26.99
1 day ago
Halloween Ends 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
23 hrs ago
Black Adam 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
23 hrs ago
The Fly Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Conjuring Universe 7-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Memoirs of a Geisha (Blu-ray)
$6.99
1 day ago
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.35
1 day ago
48 Hrs. / Another 48 Hrs. 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 11-12-2011, 05:30 AM   #1

Oct 2009
Default Scratches on the center ring of blu ray

Does anyone ever find that their brand new blu rays are scratched in the inner most ring of the disc? ive found this on quite a few of my newly purchased bu rays lately. They are usually circular as if done by the central part of the disc hub.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #2

Oct 2009

bump
Old 11-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdkid717 View Post
Does anyone ever find that their brand new blu rays are scratched in the inner most ring of the disc? ive found this on quite a few of my newly purchased bu rays lately. They are usually circular as if done by the central part of the disc hub.
Yep.

At least it is on the part of the disc where there is no information. Therefore those scratches should not cause problems with playback,etc.
Thanks given by:
Armorales102 (09-24-2016)
Old 11-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #4

Oct 2009

it seems to happen more with eco cases
Old 10-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomaticDriver View Post
Yep.

At least it is on the part of the disc where there is no information. Therefore those scratches should not cause problems with playback,etc.
Thank God I found this thread. I was going crazy trying to figure this out. Thanks
Old 03-24-2021, 03:58 AM   #6

Mar 2021

Hi All,

I have recently purchased (new) a large number of movies on 4k blu-ray, and have noticed that quite a number of them have a circular scratch mark on the centre of the disc.

It would appear that some of the cases are causing this and I was just wondering how common it is and if I should be requesting replacements or if this is generally accepted?

From what I can see the discs read/play fine. With my OCD this is really getting to me but if this is normal and generally accepted then I will live with it.

Thanks.

--

And just as a secondary question, how far into a disc from the centre does the data start getting written?

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:25 PM   #7

Mar 2021

bump anyone please?

Really interested if anyone can advise how far into a disc from the centre does the data start getting written?

I have started collecting 4k discs at speed, and I notice a number of the discs seem to have circular scratches near the centre hole. Is this normal and does it affect the ability for discs to be read in general?

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:21 PM   #8
Expert Member

Jan 2008

Yes I noticed these scratches around the centre hub a few years back

It was affecting about 30to 40 % of my Warner archive Blu ray discs - they were all pressed at the same shitty plant in Mexico

I assume technicolor mexico or whomever has the replication facilities there have a bargain basement line for cut price Blu rays

I’ve never seen these scratches form replicators in Japan,, Australia (and I check IFPI codes as I buy discs from worldwide )

Curiously many if not most of Japan’s UHD’s are pressed in Mexico or Germany -same for Australian UHD’s so obviously they have premium replication lines for the appropriate markets

Just wished that Warner Archive would stop discounting their Blu rays with their ever present 4 for $44 sales - charge more bloody money and get a replicator who doesn’t scratch their discs !

Kind of a self fulfilling prophecy for the studios: no one can make a UHD player that doesn’t have occasional Skip or freeze issues , then add the quality control of scratched discs . And they wonder why physical media has lost its lustre

Jane Fonda Barefoot in the park had centre ring scratches from Paramount USA (pressed in Mexico)- got a copy from Paramount Japan , pressed in Japan , and it was absolutely perfect
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology