Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
12 Angry Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
2 hrs ago
Triangle of Sadness 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.54
1 day ago
Romeo and Juliet (Blu-ray)
$22.78
1 day ago
The Seventh Seal 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
Programmed to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.13
8 hrs ago
Batman: The Doom That Came to Gotham 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99
 
Westworld: Season Four 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
House of the Dragon: The Complete First Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$32.50
21 hrs ago
Red Eye 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
If I Had a Million (Blu-ray)
$17.99
1 hr ago
Doctor Who: William Hartnell - Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$49.69
 
The Prince of Egypt 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.98
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 04-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #41
slimdude slimdude is offline
Banned
 
Apr 2009
-
-
-
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Bannon View Post
Seriously. I pause all the time, particularly on repeat viewings. Or on the special features and commentary tracks.
There are any number of reasons for seamless pausing to work well, and be convenient to the viewer.
This isn't a way to watch a movie! If I had to pause a movie that often, I wouldn't watch it at all. I would rather do something else instead. Whenever you go to see a movie in the theater, do you get up, leave the auditorium, and do whatever? If I need to go to the restroom, or get snacks, I'll take care of that before the movie starts, so I'll won't have to miss anything, and if so, I'll just wasted my money because, I didn't see the whole movie. The projectionist, is not going stop the film for anybody! If you miss part of the movie, you just missed it. I know one thing, if I paid $12.00-$15.00 for a movie, I don't want to miss anything! The moviegoers are already being overcharged for admission, and most certainly, I want to get my money's worth. By getting up, and leave during the movie, you only be cheating yourself.

Last edited by slimdude; 04-06-2013 at 06:38 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #42
Anthony P Anthony P is offline
Blu-ray Count
 
Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvonl View Post
The OP had an issue relating to pausing, going to screensaver, and having to start all over again instead of being able to resume where he left off, not coming back days later and having the position remembered. He is absolutely right. I have used Oppo dvd and blu players for many years. With the dvd players if you paused and went to screensaver, it would start again where you left off just by pushing play. The blu player does not; you have to go back to the beginning (of the disc, not the movie). Menus, warnings, etc. If I stop play on the dvd player, it will ask if I want to resume where I left off when I come back. The blu does that sometimes, not always. I can live with that. However, the inability to resume from screensaver on blu is just ridiculous. New technology should not be less convenient! The big companies overreached, got it wrong, and should be embarrassed! It can take up to 10 minutes to get back to where I left off. Talk about breaking the mood! Get rid of BD-live, get rid of cloud storage, and get back to the primary purpose - let me play MY damn movie! Thank you, I feel better now....
But that is the issue, if you pause the movie and your BD player stops the movie after a short X minutes like Cevolution talked about with the Toshiba in his bedroom, then that is a player (or possibly settings) issue and not a BD issue. Personally I have never had a player or film that did that, that is why I also asked Dynamo since he said it was programmed in some films to stop after a few minutes.

I can understand needing to pause a film on occasion (bathroom, kids, phone.....) for 5-10minutes but for me, I have only heard of the "resume issue" with people that start a film one day and possibly end it several days later.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #43
cricepng cricepng is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
cricepng's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
alternates between Papua New Guinea and Pennsylvania
14
295
1414
304
537
4
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
This isn't a way to watch a movie! If I had to pause a movie that often, I wouldn't watch it at all. I would rather do something else instead. Whenever you go to see a movie in the theater, do you get up, leave the auditorium, and do whatever? If I need to go to the restroom, or get snacks, I'll take care of that before the movie starts, so I'll won't have to miss anything, and if so, I'll just wasted my money because, I didn't see the whole movie. The projectionist, is not going stop the film for anybody! If you miss part of the movie, you just missed it. I know one thing, if I paid $12.00-$15.00 for a movie, I don't want to miss anything! The moviegoers are already being overcharged for admission, and most certainly, I want to get my money's worth. By getting up, and leave during the movie, you only be cheating yourself.
That's all and good for a theater, but we are talking about in our own houses.

The argument that because the ideal way to watch a movie is all at once with no pauses and any complaints about people not doing it that way is like aruguing that the ideal walk outdoors is when it is sunny and people who need to go outside when it is raining are just doing it wrong. They should stay indoors until they know it will be sunny the entire time they are outside.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #44
DGates01 DGates01 is offline
Active Member
 
DGates01's Avatar
 
May 2010
California
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
The few times I needed to stop a movie midway I found I got a much better experience starting from scratch than where I left off.
Isn't that what people with Alzheimer's do?

Last edited by DGates01; 04-06-2013 at 10:18 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #45
slimdude slimdude is offline
Banned
 
Apr 2009
-
-
-
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricepng View Post
That's all and good for a theater, but we are talking about in our own houses.

The argument that because the ideal way to watch a movie is all at once with no pauses and any complaints about people not doing it that way is like aruguing that the ideal walk outdoors is when it is sunny and people who need to go outside when it is raining are just doing it wrong. They should stay indoors until they know it will be sunny the entire time they are outside.
If anybody's time is going to occupied, or busy trying to do other things, and need to pause a movie numerous of time, they shouldn't bother to watch it. Complete all your endeavors, or whatever is keeping you distracted, then sit down, and watch the movie. If I was in the middle of preparing dinner, painting a room, repairing my car, etc, you think I'm going to start watching a movie in the meantime, if none of those jobs were finished? No.

Last edited by slimdude; 04-06-2013 at 10:52 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #46
cricepng cricepng is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
cricepng's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
alternates between Papua New Guinea and Pennsylvania
14
295
1414
304
537
4
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
If anybody's time is going to occupied, or busy trying to multitask, doing other things, and need to pause a movie numerous of time, they shouldn't bother to watch it. Complete all your endeavors, or whatever is keeping you distracted, then sit down, and watch the movie. If I was preparing dinner, painting a room, repairing my car, you think I'm going to start watching a movie in the meantime, if none of those jobs were finished? No.
That's hilarious saying what other people should and shouldn't do in their own homes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #47
slimdude slimdude is offline
Banned
 
Apr 2009
-
-
-
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricepng View Post
That's hilarious saying what other people should and shouldn't do in their own homes.
It maybe hilarious, but it's logical, and makes a lot of sense.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #48
cricepng cricepng is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
cricepng's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
alternates between Papua New Guinea and Pennsylvania
14
295
1414
304
537
4
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
It maybe hilarious, but it's logical, and makes a lot of sense.
The problem is that you are telling other people what they should do. As I have said before, watching a movie straight through is the best, but sometimes that is not possible. You cannot seem to acknowledge the fact that what others do is what they do; rather, you have the audacity to say what everyone should do. You seem to like imposing your standards on everyone else. Instead of saying something like 'I have found it best to not start a moving when I might be distracted' you say that f somebody might be preoccupied then 'they shouldn't bother to watch it.'
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #49
slimdude slimdude is offline
Banned
 
Apr 2009
-
-
-
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricepng View Post
The problem is that you are telling other people what they should do.
I'm not telling nobody what to do! I'm not holding a gun or a grenade to nobody's heads, and force them to do anything, they don't want to do. Did I ever said to anybody: Go do this, and go do that? Hell no! I was using examples! You would've known that, if you've comprehended... As far as I'm concern, they can drink muddy waters, and sleep in a hallow log, while you're watching a movie, for all I care.

Last edited by slimdude; 04-06-2013 at 11:29 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #50
cricepng cricepng is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
cricepng's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
alternates between Papua New Guinea and Pennsylvania
14
295
1414
304
537
4
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
I'm not telling nobody what to do! I'm not holding a gun or a grenade to nobody's heads, and force them to do anything, they don't want to do Did I ever said to anybody: Go do this, and go do that? I was using examples! As far as I'm concern, you can drink muddy waters, and sleep in a hallow log, while you're watching a movie, for all I care.
Read your posts. You are saying people should do certain things. You leave no room for other people's actions to be valid. It's not a question of making people do stuff, it's that you seem to think your way is the only way it should be done. Nobody has said that your way is unreasonable or a lesser option. In fact, everyone has readily admitted that your way is the best way. In how you phrase things, you belittle people who don't do things your way. If we have to pause a movie because a relative stops by (happened this morning), then why did we even bother to start it? Should have called my mother-in-law before we started it and told her to not even think about coming over because a movie should not be paused once started.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #51
slimdude slimdude is offline
Banned
 
Apr 2009
-
-
-
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricepng View Post
Read your posts.
I don't have to re-read my posts. I know what I've written, and I'm not belittling anybody either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricepng View Post
If we have to pause a movie because a relative stops by (happened this morning), then why did we even bother to start it? Should have called my mother-in-law before we started it and told her to not even think about coming over because a movie should not be paused once started.
Well, that was your fault, not mine! You've chose to pause the movie, but you didn't have to. You could have let the movie played, if you wanted to, but you didn't, so you've paused it. Now, did I stick a knife to your throat, and told you, to let the movie play?

Last edited by slimdude; 04-06-2013 at 11:54 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #52
cricepng cricepng is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
cricepng's Avatar
 
Jan 2013
alternates between Papua New Guinea and Pennsylvania
14
295
1414
304
537
4
12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
I don't have to re-read my posts. I know what I've written.

Well, that was your fault, not mine! You've choose to pause the movie, but you didn't have to. You could have let the movie played, if you wanted to, but you didn't, so you've paused it. Now, did I stick a knife to your throat, and told you to let the movie play?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #53
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
23
668
3104
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
But that is the issue, if you pause the movie and your BD player stops the movie after a short X minutes like Cevolution talked about with the Toshiba in his bedroom, then that is a player (or possibly settings) issue and not a BD issue. Personally I have never had a player or film that did that, that is why I also asked Dynamo since he said it was programmed in some films to stop after a few minutes.

I can understand needing to pause a film on occasion (bathroom, kids, phone.....) for 5-10minutes but for me, I have only heard of the "resume issue" with people that start a film one day and possibly end it several days later.
I was incorrect about my Toshiba player. I tested the player this morning, I kept a blu paused for over an hour in screen saver mode (while I had breakfast, a shower, cleaned my teeth etc), and it did not turn itself off. However if I press stop and the player is displaying it's main menu, and is left like this for 10 minutes then the player automatically switches itself off. So both my Oppo and Toshiba players don't do what the OP is claiming his player does when pausing a film (I should also try it on my Panasonic player), therefore I wonder what players these members own that are experiencing this issue? One thing is for sure, like you said it's got nothing to do with the blu-ray specs, but rather features and settings of an individual player that a manufacturer has designed it with.

Last edited by Cevolution; 04-07-2013 at 01:45 AM. Reason: made a small addition
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:08 AM   #54
DGates01 DGates01 is offline
Active Member
 
DGates01's Avatar
 
May 2010
California
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
One thing is for sure, like you said it's got nothing to do with the blu-ray specs, but rather features and settings of an individual player that a manufacturer has designed it with.
Well, as we've seen by the replies, there have been quite a few others who experience the same issue. With some saying that it is a format issue, at least when it comes to BD-Java.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:31 AM   #55
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
23
668
3104
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGates01 View Post
Well, as we've seen by the replies, there have been quite a few others who experience the same issue. With some saying that it is a format issue, at least when it comes to BD-Java.
No, because anything to do with pausing a blu is not a format issue. The specs of BD Java and how it affects the auto resume feature once you hit the stop button is a separate issue to what's being discussed regarding pausing and the player automatically turning itself off after a period of time. The auto resume feature relates to the specs of blu-ray, but the player switching itself off does not.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:05 AM   #56
chip75 chip75 is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
chip75's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
Wales
201
3182
2157
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
No, because anything to do with pausing a blu is not a format issue. The specs of BD Java and how it affects the auto resume feature once you hit the stop button is a separate issue to what's being discussed regarding pausing and the player automatically turning itself off after a period of time. The auto resume feature relates to the specs of blu-ray, but the player switching itself off does not.
My Samsung player pauses, then goes to a screen-saver, I'm not sure how long that goes on for. The TV switches it self off after 10 minutes when it doesn't receive a signal and I assume the screen-saver counts as a signal. One push of the button turns the screen-saver off and then play resumes the movie.

I turned HDMI something-something on on my PS3 and it lets me use the Samsung's remote on the PS3 menu (as well as knowing it's a PS3). Ain't technology grand?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #57
jvonl jvonl is offline
Special Member
 
Jan 2011
Hill Country, Texas
273
1328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevolution View Post
No, because anything to do with pausing a blu is not a format issue. The specs of BD Java and how it affects the auto resume feature once you hit the stop button is a separate issue to what's being discussed regarding pausing and the player automatically turning itself off after a period of time. The auto resume feature relates to the specs of blu-ray, but the player switching itself off does not.
In my case at least it is not a question of the player or the tv shutting off; it is a question of resuming play after pausing. I hit pause. When I return the screen saver is playing. I hit play and the disc goes back to the beginning or will not play at all - it freezes, and then I have to start over. Not always, but often enough to be annoying. I will try to keep track and see if it a particular studio. If I return and the screen saver is gone, I have to start over. I understand that may be the player having a time limit for pause. I support blu-ray because of the picture, but mostly for the lossless audio. I have zero interest in bd-live or any of the other "features" the techies thought I should have. I believe that the consumer is better served by simplicity that works, not features that detract from my ability to simply play the movie of my choice without complications.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:59 AM   #58
DGates01 DGates01 is offline
Active Member
 
DGates01's Avatar
 
May 2010
California
22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvonl View Post
I believe that the consumer is better served by simplicity that works, not features that detract from my ability to simply play the movie of my choice without complications.
Well said and my point all along.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #59
Cevolution Cevolution is offline
Banned
 
Nov 2010
Sydney, Australia
23
668
3104
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvonl View Post
In my case at least it is not a question of the player or the tv shutting off; it is a question of resuming play after pausing. I hit pause. When I return the screen saver is playing. I hit play and the disc goes back to the beginning or will not play at all - it freezes, and then I have to start over. Not always, but often enough to be annoying. I will try to keep track and see if it a particular studio. If I return and the screen saver is gone, I have to start over. I understand that may be the player having a time limit for pause. I support blu-ray because of the picture, but mostly for the lossless audio. I have zero interest in bd-live or any of the other "features" the techies thought I should have. I believe that the consumer is better served by simplicity that works, not features that detract from my ability to simply play the movie of my choice without complications.
The fact is that the problem you are having (and some others) with your player, where it is starting some films from the beginning and freezing after unpausing from screen saver mode, is still a feature issue or defect with your specific model player, it's not the fault of blu-ray technology itself like the OP has suggested, therefore it should be the manufacturer of your player that you are displeased with. I own 1250+ blu-rays and 6 blu-ray players to view them with, and none of them have this issue that you have described. As for BD-live, sure that is amongst the specs for blu-ray, however the feature can easily be turned off where it has no effect whatsoever on playback of discs. I've never used BD-live, and have always had the feature turned off, in fact I don't have my players automatically connected to the internet either. None of the players I own are complicated to use, they offer the same simplistic way to view blu-rays as any other player. Obviously your debacle lies with your player, so if you are unhappy with it, then maybe you should possibly look into purchasing a different brand or model player with similarities in "simplicity", that doesn't have the same issue as your current player

Edit: BTW, what screen saver are you referring to, the screen saver of your brand of blu-ray player, or the screen saver that for example Universal Studios uses for their discs? If you are referring to the screen saver on blu discs from particular studios where that studios logo is displayed on the screen, these can be resumed instead of having to start the film from the beginning. However the button function to do this is different for various players. For example some players require you to hit the enter button, others one of the directional arrow buttons, or even the pop-up menu button. So if this is what is happening I would recommended trying a few buttons on your remote, or alternatively check your players user manual for info, which may offer some insight.

Last edited by Cevolution; 04-07-2013 at 10:42 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #60
hometheatergeek hometheatergeek is offline
Blu-ray Grand Duke
 
hometheatergeek's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA
48
13
260
49
2
Default

You are right on the mark Cevolution. Pausing a movie on different players and the movie not starting back up properly is the player and not the BD. If any of you are having issues with the player turning off after a period of time then you need to dig around in your menu to disable the automatic power off when the player has been inactive for a period of time. It also took me awhile to figure out how to get my Panasonic player to resume play from when I paused a Universal movie. I tried the enter button and the play button but the only thing that worked on my player was the directional button. Not very intuitive if you ask me, so I can understand why some ppl are annoyed with pausing a movie and having to start back over. But the bottom line is most current players will resume at the point that was paused with the automatic power off is set properly or with the newer BD releases you can now stop the movie instead of pause and the BD will ask you if you want to resume.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:07 PM.