Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Halloween (iTunes)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
DC 7-Film Collection (iTunes)
$79.93

Seinfeld, The Complete Series (iTunes)
$78.99
20 hrs ago
Fantastic Beasts 2-Film Collection (iTunes)
$14.99

Batman 4 Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

Shazam/Aquaman 2-Film Bundle (iTunes)
$24.99

300: Rise of an Empire (iTunes)
$4.99

Justice League / Batman v Superman (iTunes)
$24.99

Westworld: Season 1-2 (iTunes)
$24.99

Us (iTunes)
$12.99

The Dark Crystal (iTunes)
$4.99

Jackie (iTunes)
$4.99
23 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 05-30-2015, 12:28 AM   #121
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
But you are posting in the Digital Movies subforum.
I'm simply asking if it pleases him that bluray may one day become obsolete. If it does, I find it odd that anyone would join a Blu Ray forum regardless of any sub forums that may exist. It would be like a Dallas Cowboys fan joining a Miami Dolphins forum.

Im perfectly entitled to post in this section and ask such questions. Many streaming fans post in the bluray section. You can roll your eyes all you like.

Last edited by Steedeel; 05-30-2015 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:56 AM   #122
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
Most of the world won't have FTTH will they? Even ten years from now. Some people can't even watch a SD feed without buffering. Optical media will always be a step ahead. Now maybe when 8k bluray comes out, 4k streaming will have matched current Blu Ray quality in terms of compression. Make a note in your diary, 2040 lol.

This is a Blu Ray forum. You seem to be excited at the prospect of Blu Rays possible demise?
The part of The World that wants to keep up will have Fiber, but you're right even here in the U.S. our Copper Infrastructure is almost a 100 years old. It took Google Fiber to wake people up, and many Internet Providers are still in denial. I'm not excited about the demise of Blu-ray, I have a large collection of this Media. I'm just talking about the next logical step. I am excited about good quality Streaming Video. If you had access to this I'm sure you would be able to see the possibilities. I know we all try to justify and hang on to tradition, but Time and Technology moves on and all we could do is try to keep up.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:04 AM   #123
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
The part of The World that wants to keep up will have Fiber, but you're right even here in the U.S. our Copper Infrastructure is almost a 100 years old. It took Google Fiber to wake people up, and many Internet Providers are still in denial. I'm not excited about the demise of Blu-ray, I have a large collection of this Media. I'm just talking about the next logical step. I am excited about good quality Streaming Video. If you had access to this I'm sure you would be able to see the possibilities. I know we all try to justify and hang on to tradition, but Time and Technology moves on and all we could do is try to keep up.
But is it worth keeping up if the quality is inferior? I also like to collect and it's just not the same having digital files. Don't get me wrong, I have used Digital services. I use Itunes for HD purchases of movies I could not get on bluray despite exhausting all channels trying to find a region b copy lol. I don't want to use digital but it would have meant not seeing/owning that film. I don't like this worrying trend of films not getting a bluray release but being available in Digital HD. I have fibre so I get decent quality. I think even the biggest streaming fan would admit the quality is way behind bluray though. Digital noise alone is a big issue. Even in bright, daytime scenes I can see digital noise and artificial sharpening (in my opinion)
Netflix is very decent quality also. I get the Super HD and it really has come on leaps and bounds. The problem is, it ain't bluray. i think maybe part of the fun is in the ownership. The discs arriving (I buy in bulk at the end of the year) the fact I have them in a display cabinet. The fact that they hold high quality soundtracks that take advantage of a good setup etc.. I don't get any of that with Digital. I enjoy the movie but it is t quite the same experience. Hope you understand that? I'm sure you do.

Regardless, I'm not giving up on bluray. I love the format and as long as I have a player and the discs, I'm singing the blus!

Last edited by Steedeel; 05-30-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:11 PM   #124
Special Member

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
The part of The World that wants to keep up will have Fiber, but you're right even here in the U.S. our Copper Infrastructure is almost a 100 years old. It took Google Fiber to wake people up, and many Internet Providers are still in denial.
Don't write off good old copper. I use Comcast and they keep increasing the bandwidth. I now have 150Mbps, which is more than enough for high-quality video streaming. I pay about $50/month for it (as part of an "Internet+" package that also includes HBO Go).
Old 06-02-2015, 02:55 AM   #125
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
Don't write off good old copper. I use Comcast and they keep increasing the bandwidth. I now have 150Mbps, which is more than enough for high-quality video streaming. I pay about $50/month for it (as part of an "Internet+" package that also includes HBO Go).
Can't write it off, even though it's an old Infrastructure the ISP's still want to squeeze more Bandwidth out of it. I just feel Copper has run it's course, and the ISP's that stay with it will fall way behind. Everything is Data and Digital, and only the Providers that see Fiber as the Future will survive.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:40 PM   #126
Special Member

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Can't write it off, even though it's an old Infrastructure the ISP's still want to squeeze more Bandwidth out of it. I just feel Copper has run it's course, and the ISP's that stay with it will fall way behind. Everything is Data and Digital, and only the Providers that see Fiber as the Future will survive.
The problem is that it's very costly to expand FTTH (digging up streets etc.). Verizon has pretty much stopped expanding FIOS, and other services are only available in a few selected spots. I think there is still some life in the copper infrastructure. Going forward, 5G wireless networks will also play a role.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:36 PM   #127
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
The problem is that it's very costly to expand FTTH (digging up streets etc.). Verizon has pretty much stopped expanding FIOS, and other services are only available in a few selected spots. I think there is still some life in the copper infrastructure. Going forward, 5G wireless networks will also play a role.
You're right for older Communities FTTH is not feasible, it's too costly like you said. They have to live with what they have that Old Copper Infrastructure, and maybe Wireless. It's just that these people will have trouble Streaming UHD Video, and even SD Video will buffer on them at times. I see Streaming Video becoming main stream with Providers like Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, and the rest. The only thing people can do if they have a choice to upgrade their Infrastructure, make Fiber high on the list.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:45 AM   #128
Special Member

Aug 2007
Taos, NM

Are there any movies on Hulu that include commentaries?
Old 07-21-2015, 01:09 AM   #129
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by deto View Post
Are there any movies on Hulu that include commentaries?
Nope.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #130
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmerr View Post
Does anybody go to the theater anymore to see anything, but blockbusters? Anything else, I would rather watch in the comfort of my home. Having a variety of devices to watch movies and shows is a plus in my book. I rarely have time to sit and watch an entire movie, I can start watching on the big screen, but later watch more on my ipad somewhere else, if needed. I find it amazing to be able to do that. That is the main reason I have transferred many of my DVDs to digital. The more options, the better.
I have thought about the thread title a lot lately. I have mentioned many times about the executive of Dreamworks making those comments about how people will end up paying for movies by screen size. The more I think about this, the more I think it will happen. If people are given a cheap option, say 1.99 for mobile compared to 3.99 for HD TVs). I think that would cause a switch to mobile movie viewing virtually overnight. Cheap always wins the day. If people are forced into a corner, they may just always vote for the mobile version.
I also see subscription services going the same way.
So the switching between devices that you mention would be moot. If the industry have discussed this, you can bet it will come.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies