Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fantastic Beasts 2-Film Collection (iTunes)
$14.99

DC 7-Film Collection (iTunes)
$79.93

Batman 4 Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (iTunes)
$4.99
11 hrs ago
300: Rise of an Empire (iTunes)
$4.99

Shazam/Aquaman 2-Film Bundle (iTunes)
$24.99

The Dark Crystal (iTunes)
$4.99

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (iTunes)
$4.99

Justice League / Batman v Superman (iTunes)
$24.99

Machete Kills (iTunes)
$4.99
11 hrs ago
Labyrinth (iTunes)
$4.99

Tully (iTunes)
$4.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 07-04-2016, 12:50 PM   #21
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyfaile View Post
I think technology has altered out attention spans, some to a higher degree than others. Everything is so instantaneous now. It used to be that people would watch the movie instead of read the book. Maybe soon instead of watching the entire Lord of the Rings extended trilogy, people will want to op for the 60 minute condensed version.

When I watch a movie, I try to get inside characters heads. Most people seem to just want to know what happened on the surface and be done with it. They don't care to really analyze or look deeper.
That's what worries me. This speed watching is the craziest thing I have ever heard entertainment wise. Digital and the next gen are doing their best to ruin film for the rest of us. I'm 40 and I'm hoping film will stay intact until my time is up!
Old 07-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #22
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixx View Post
Maybe there are some people who miss the PAL speedup on DVD's
If only it was that subtle!
Old 07-04-2016, 01:38 PM   #23
Banned

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
That is barmy to me. How can you enjoy content lke that? Surely the point of watching something is relaxing and getting enjoyment. Not racing through content out of obligation.
But i don't feel like i'm racing through content as i don't notice the speed up unless a well known song is in the background. It's saves me around 8 mins an episode and when you're watching 3-4 episodes a night it soon adds up!
Old 07-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #24
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgmun View Post
But i don't feel like i'm racing through content as i don't notice the speed up unless a well known song is in the background. It's saves me around 8 mins an episode and when you're watching 3-4 episodes a night it soon adds up!
Sorry, I just can't get my head around it.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #25
Special Member

Jul 2009

Lazy reviewers have been doing that with home video releases for years. In the UK, uber literati snob Mariella Frostrup had two iterations of a video review show (Video View/The Little Picture Show) on a late slot, and had mainly contempt for films.

Years later, she laughingly revealed that she watched almost all of the movies on fast-forward so she didn't have to actually see them.

The current trend is to be expected as attention-spans shrink at an alarming rate. Why have to concentrate on something for over 90 minutes when you can speed through and get the gist without wasting your whole time on it.

I'm kinda' reminded of a quote from X-Men: First Class when I see some kid glancing up at a movie whilst on their portable device: "If you're using half your concentration...then you're only half paying attention to whatever else you're doing."
Old 07-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #26
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC

I've only done this for commentary tracks at 1.5x speed on my PS3. I can still understand everything and retain the information discussed. However, the subtleties of film and TV require far more attention. NEVER shall I do so with anything that categorizes as a "main feature production."
Old 07-04-2016, 01:59 PM   #27
Power Member

Apr 2015

Not exactly "speed watching" but Bollywood distributors have now began uploading "short" versions of their movies onto sites like YouTube alongside the full film. So the short version will be the 2 hr/2hr 30min film cropped to 36 mins!
Old 07-04-2016, 02:00 PM   #28
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

I can't believe so many people seem worried about this. Movies have been movies right from the start. They have gained talking and color, but they are still movies as they always have been. Hell the top earning movie this year was 2 hours and 27 minutes. Last year the top three grossing movies were all over 2 hours long. So why in the heck would movies suddenly be dropped down to 60 minutes? There is absolutely zero evidence of this. And no a fraction of the movie audience will not make the deciding factor for everyone. Movie studios surprisingly still like money...shocker i know. As long as these 2 plus hour movies keep killing it at the box office you'll never see movies cut in half as your only option.

Every single generation seems to think the next generation is going to be the owns to burn the world down. They will be the ones to ruin everything.
Thanks given by:
octagon (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 02:06 PM   #29
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyOfDarknessAW View Post
I can't believe so many people seem worried about this. Movies have been movies right from the start. They have gained talking and color, but they are still movies as they always have been. Hell the top earning movie this year was 2 hours and 27 minutes. Last year the top three grossing movies were all over 2 hours long. So why in the heck would movies suddenly be dropped down to 60 minutes? There is absolutely zero evidence of this. And no a fraction of the movie audience will not make the deciding factor for everyone. Movie studios surprisingly still like money...shocker i know. As long as these 2 plus hour movies keep killing it at the box office you'll never see movies cut in half as your only option.

Every single generation seems to think the next generation is going to be the owns to burn the world down. They will be the ones to ruin everything.
something ok this would kill it more me. Kill it dead. I think the next generation will kill film doing things like this.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:10 PM   #30
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

Quote:
something ok this would kill it more me. Kill it dead.
Until it actually has evidence it will effect you it is none of your business how people watch movies. The small numbers of people (yes it is small in the grand scheme) that speed watch will not effect you. Even if they did what Bollywood is doing like one member posted you'll still have the normal version. Until the day when it actually effects you personally it is none of your business.

Sometimes I don't get this society. So many people care what sex you are, who you sleep with, how you watch a movie, etc.... I just don't get it.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #31
Banned

Sep 2014
Vegas

Quote:
Another concern of mine is will they one day in the future remove the normal speed option if the mainstream adapt to watching film at 1.5 speed (with or without pitch correction)
You seem to have a lot of irrational concerns. Might want to get that checked.

See also: your nonstop worries about them no longer making TVs or projectors because some of the kids you've encountered currently watch movies on their phones.

Much ado about nothing, as per usual.
Thanks given by:
MrSmearkase (07-04-2016), OI8T12 (07-04-2016), robgmun (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 02:12 PM   #32
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Until it actually has evidence it will effect you it is none of your business how people watch movies. The small numbers of people (yes it is small in the grand scheme) that speed watch will not effect you. Even if they did what Bollywood is doing like one member posted you'll still have the normal version. Until the day when it actually effects you personally it is none of your business.

Sometimes I don't get this society. So many people care what sex you are, who you sleep with, how you watch a movie, etc.... I just don't get it.
Like it or not, what others do influences us.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:14 PM   #33
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

Quote:
Like it or not, what others do influences us.
And speed watching is influencing you how? Again the highest grossing movies are all 2 plus hours. There is no evidence that will change. You're being worried over nothing.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:27 PM   #34
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhySoBlu? View Post
You seem to have a lot of irrational concerns. Might want to get that checked.

See also: your nonstop worries about them no longer making TVs or projectors because some of the kids you've encountered currently watch movies on their phones.

Much ado about nothing, as per usual.
This is happening. Even folk on here have admitted to doing it. Most of my concerns are well founded, including this one.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:38 PM   #35
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:

I just care about film. Dont give a crap about anything else they may do.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #36
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2011

Quote:
I can't believe so many people seem worried about this. Movies have been movies right from the start. They have gained talking and color, but they are still movies as they always have been. Hell the top earning movie this year was 2 hours and 27 minutes. Last year the top three grossing movies were all over 2 hours long. So why in the heck would movies suddenly be dropped down to 60 minutes?uin everything.
Look at Michael Bay. The most jittery, ADD filmmaker of all time, and yet his movies run longer than an average David Lean epic. And yet they still makes tons of money.
Thanks given by:
ArmyOfDarknessAW (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #37
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2013
Boston,MA.

Quote:
I just care about film. Dont give a crap about anything else they may do.
If you don't give a crap, then why are worried so much what other people do? The world does not revolve around you. Speed watching, streaming whatever. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's wrong. Get over it.
Thanks given by:
ArmyOfDarknessAW (07-04-2016)
Old 07-04-2016, 02:47 PM   #38
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2012
co.cork ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
Look at Michael Bay. The most jittery, ADD filmmaker of all time, and yet his movies run longer than an average David Lean epic. And yet they still makes tons of money.
Because of China.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:55 PM   #39
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2015
Ohio

This sounds like such an outrageous and stupid thing, you would think it was from the Twilight Zone.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #40
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Flint View Post
This sounds like such an outrageous and stupid thing, you would think it was from the Twilight Zone.
Thanks given by:
Captain Flint (07-04-2016), Monterey Jack (07-04-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies