Best iTunes Movie Deals

Amazon Prime Day is Now Live »
Prime: The Bourne Ultimate Collection… $19.99 (6 mins left)
Prime: How to Train Your Dragon: The … $11.99 (36 mins left)
Prime: Halloween $9.99 (56 mins left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Batman 4 Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
DC 7-Film Collection (iTunes)
$79.93
21 hrs ago
Shazam/Aquaman 2-Film Bundle (iTunes)
$24.99
21 hrs ago
Westworld: Season 1-2 (iTunes)
$24.99

The Wrestler (iTunes)
$4.99
58 min ago
Star Trek 3-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory, Seasons 1-12 (iTunes)
$99.99

Alien 4-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
Justice League / Batman v Superman (iTunes)
$24.99
21 hrs ago
Us (iTunes)
$12.99
21 hrs ago
Aquaman (iTunes)
$9.99
21 hrs ago
Doctor Who, New Year's Day Special: Resolution 2019 (iTunes)
$2.99
11 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer iTunes or Amazon? Amazon Video or iTunes
Amazon Video 13 15.48%
iTunes 55 65.48%
Neither 16 19.05%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2016, 01:23 AM   #21

Mar 2015

I use vudu more than amazon

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2016, 03:45 AM   #22
Power Member

Dec 2015

I would say use the codes from blu rays with means itunes or vudu as thats the cheapest option of them all. Next is to do the d2d conversion on vudu but itunes codes are more valuable as they rarely drop in price and have more consistent service for me.
Old 07-17-2016, 11:44 PM   #23

Jun 2016
Wisconsin

If I had to choose between these two - probably iTunes. Simply for the fact that I have an iPhone and an older iPod Touch which support those files. I don't think one reseller offers higher quality than the other. At the end of the day, neither is going to beat Blu-ray.

I think if I had more choices, I would go Vudu since Vudu seems to be more readily available on Blu-ray players and media streamers, as well as some portable devices. iTunes is non-existent in that area outside the Apple TV.

The movie industry really needs to take the same approach as the music industry. Sell us digital files that are of equal or higher quality to what we can buy on physical formats. Remove the DRM. If you make something that people like, they'll buy it. DRM does nothing to prevent piracy, and only irritates paying customers.

Last edited by stonesfan129; 07-17-2016 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:00 PM   #24

Jul 2014

I've just recently decided to go with iTunes in the UK after much debating.

I got myself an Apple TV 4 to watch it all on. The reason. iTunes is far more polished than Amazon, it also doesn't have Prime plastered everywhere and I was only interested in buying not paying 79 every year for Prime content. I prefer Netflix for that kind of content.

Also the iTunes extras and chapter markers were a big pull and the fact that those movies with extras start with a menu I do like that one haha.

I also read that Amazon play there extras at the end of the movie. I think I read that's what they did for Star Wars deleted scenes, if that's true then that's pretty horrendous and makes me even more glad with my choice.

Edit: I also like the sales on iTunes. The latest one Blockbuster July has been good. Got Edge of Tomorroe for 3.99 - Bargain. I have however noticed Amazon keep price matching these. So up if your with Amazon you might wanna check it out

Last edited by Marshall2000_uk; 07-26-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #25
Special Member

Nov 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall2000_uk View Post
I've just recently decided to go with iTunes in the UK after much debating.

I got myself an Apple TV 4 to watch it all on. The reason. iTunes is far more polished than Amazon, it also doesn't have Prime plastered everywhere and I was only interested in buying not paying 79 every year for Prime content. I prefer Netflix for that kind of content.

Also the iTunes extras and chapter markers were a big pull and the fact that those movies with extras start with a menu I do like that one haha.

I also read that Amazon play there extras at the end of the movie. I think I read that's what they did for Star Wars deleted scenes, if that's true then that's pretty horrendous and makes me even more glad with my choice.

Edit: I also like the sales on iTunes. The latest one Blockbuster July has been good. Got Edge of Tomorroe for 3.99 - Bargain. I have however noticed Amazon keep price matching these. So up if your with Amazon you might wanna check it out
I know a lot of UK folks that opened a US iTunes accounts. Buying iTunes codes for $2 a piece in the Trading Forum can really add to your collection cheaply.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:35 PM   #26
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2008
Durham, NC

iTunes...easily. Better UI. Sales are better. Video quality, in my opinion, is better. It's just a better, overall experience when you purchase movies via iTunes...especially if you have an Apple TV.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:02 AM   #27
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpman View Post
iTunes...easily. Better UI. Sales are better. Video quality, in my opinion, is better. It's just a better, overall experience when you purchase movies via iTunes...especially if you have an Apple TV.
I disagree, Vudu HDX is far superior to any iTunes Video. Apple is okay for Apple Lovers, but if you want quality you have to check out Vudu. In my opinion nothing comes close to their Video Quality.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:41 AM   #28

Jun 2016
Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
I disagree, Vudu HDX is far superior to any iTunes Video. Apple is okay for Apple Lovers, but if you want quality you have to check out Vudu. In my opinion nothing comes close to their Video Quality.
There is a guy on AVS Forums that compares iTunes to Vudu to Amazon to Blu Ray - in general iTunes HD and Vudu HDX are typically pretty close, it usually depends on the movie. Of course he prefers BD over streaming or downloads so there is a little bias, but I think he does a pretty good job of showing some screenshots and explaining what he sees. It's pretty impressive, really. At this point Amazon is typically in fourth place, though I hope they catch up.

One nice thing about Vudu I hear is 4k downloads are becoming a possibility. I hope iTunes follows suit someday, though there is really no hurry since I have no desire to purchase a TV until my current one dies.

I'm sticking with iTunes if only because of the interface and the TV shows. Movies are fine and all, but I prefer my stories! I don't stream and I have no desire for a wall of discs anymore. Having TV shows all downloaded allows me to create playlists and set them to randomly play on various devices. Some people might turn on a radio in the kitchen when cooking, I just spool up a 'TV sitcoms' playlist and let it fly.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:55 AM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
This is a thread on iTunes vs Amazon started by a Member from the UK. They don't have Vudu there. Vudu may or may not have better picture quality, but it is not far superior.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:09 AM   #30
Expert Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodanvan View Post
There is a guy on AVS Forums that compares iTunes to Vudu to Amazon to Blu Ray - in general iTunes HD and Vudu HDX are typically pretty close, it usually depends on the movie. Of course he prefers BD over streaming or downloads so there is a little bias, but I think he does a pretty good job of showing some screenshots and explaining what he sees. It's pretty impressive, really. At this point Amazon is typically in fourth place, though I hope they catch up.

One nice thing about Vudu I hear is 4k downloads are becoming a possibility. I hope iTunes follows suit someday, though there is really no hurry since I have no desire to purchase a TV until my current one dies.

I'm sticking with iTunes if only because of the interface and the TV shows. Movies are fine and all, but I prefer my stories! I don't stream and I have no desire for a wall of discs anymore. Having TV shows all downloaded allows me to create playlists and set them to randomly play on various devices. Some people might turn on a radio in the kitchen when cooking, I just spool up a 'TV sitcoms' playlist and let it fly.
I don't think I'm committed to going fully digital with movies yet. About 5 weeks ago I bought an Apple TV and this past month I used iTunes for buying several movies that were on sale and redeeming iTunes movie codes but I don't think it's going to work out for me. One of the reasons I chose iTunes was because of home sharing and being able to download my iTunes content, therefore not relying on an internet connection for watching my iTunes movies. iTunes Home Sharing would disconnect from my Apple TV about once every 2 days but my Apple TV could still access Plex, so for sure the Apple TV could still detect my PC on my network but just not iTunes running, which seems like an iTunes issue on my PC. I would have to go walk back to my bedroom and restart iTunes to fix the issue temporarily. I also had bad experiences with Vudu, so that's no longer an option for me either. I might still redeem iTunes codes but I don't think I will purchase from there any longer. I guess I'm just going to stick with blu-rays for buying and Netflix for streaming and maybe once in a while buy an iTunes code and redeem it if I want to see a specific movie but don't feel like buying the blu-ray and if it is not available in Netflix.

Last edited by PCFan; 07-27-2016 at 05:20 AM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 07-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #31
Special Member

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCFan View Post
iTunes Home Sharing would disconnect from my Apple TV about once every 2 days but my Apple TV could still access Plex, so for sure the Apple TV could still detect my PC on my network but just not iTunes running, which seems like an iTunes issue on my PC.
If this is a Windows PC, it is very likely caused by the Windows firewall. You need to allow incoming connections for iTunes and the Bonjour service (which is used to discover the server) for the (public/private) network type you are using. I have been using a Windows VM with iTunes as my server for a long time and it's very reliable if the network is properly configured.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:45 PM   #32
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2008
Durham, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodanvan View Post

4K downloads via Vudu? How? I just redeem two 4K digital copies and there's no download option anywhere.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:18 PM   #33

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendro View Post
I know a lot of UK folks that opened a US iTunes accounts. Buying iTunes codes for $2 a piece in the Trading Forum can really add to your collection cheaply.
I might have to look into this. Seems it would be far cheaper to get these codes, saving me a ton of money. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:20 PM   #34
Expert Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
If this is a Windows PC, it is very likely caused by the Windows firewall. You need to allow incoming connections for iTunes and the Bonjour service (which is used to discover the server) for the (public/private) network type you are using. I have been using a Windows VM with iTunes as my server for a long time and it's very reliable if the network is properly configured.
The iTunes app was configured for both private and public connections checked in the Windows Firewall settings. I also had 4 instances of Boujour in the Windows Firewall, 2 with only private checked and 2 with only public checked.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:31 PM   #35
Power Member

Nov 2014
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobelowpar View Post
The problem with going digital is that once you start with one provider, you're pretty much stuck using that one unless you want movies scattered all over the place in different accounts. I would say stick with iTunes or Ultraviolet via Vudu since they support Disney and also have the Disc to Digital feature.
My mantra is "redeem iTunes" if the code allows it and UV is secondary. If you have a US or Canadian iTunes account, you can get a Panda 3 code for a few bucks.
I don't feel stuck at all.

I have more iTunes than UV but I enjoy aspects of both. I just took a long trip and had 10 UV's downloaded on my ipad and 8 iTunes films. Watched several of each and was not an issue at all. Do the same thing at home.
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (07-27-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 09:46 PM   #36
Special Member

Nov 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbonaut View Post

I have more iTunes than UV but I enjoy aspects of both. I just took a long trip and had 10 UV's downloaded on my ipad and 8 iTunes films. Watched several of each and was not an issue at all. Do the same thing at home.
Did you notice the Vudu iOS downloads are in SD? It's the one thing I dislike about Vudu on iOS.
Thanks given by:
zorbonaut (07-30-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 09:48 PM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorbonaut View Post

I'm the same way, only I've also added Amazon into the mix. All three services allow you to download your movies for on-the-go entertainment, and Vudu and Amazon even let you choose the quality of the download in-app before you download it to your portable device. I always opt for the highest quality, but if hard drive space is an issue, this can help.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:51 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendro View Post
Did you notice the Vudu iOS downloads are in SD? It's the one thing I dislike about Vudu on iOS.
Yeah, that's the one real downside, I agree. It still looks decent on a phone screen, but I always want it in HD, so it's disappointing.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:17 AM   #39
Special Member

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCFan View Post
The iTunes app was configured for both private and public connections checked in the Windows Firewall settings. I also had 4 instances of Boujour in the Windows Firewall, 2 with only private checked and 2 with only public checked.
Have you checked under "Advanced Settings" -> "Inbound Rules"? You should have two rules for Bonjour on your network type (one UDP and one TCP) and one for iTunes, each with a green check mark in the leftmost column.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:00 PM   #40

Jun 2016
Wisconsin

I would say iTunes - if you have to buy digital titles. I think they should just let me scan my discs and redeem a digital code.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies