Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Tarantino 6-Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Captain Marvel (iTunes)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
Fast & Furious: The Ultimate Ride Collection (iTunes)
$39.99
16 hrs ago
Stanley Kubrick 7 Film Collection (iTunes)
$34.99
16 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 5 - 8 Collection (iTunes)
$24.99
16 hrs ago
Pet Sematary (iTunes)
$9.99
16 hrs ago
High Life (iTunes)
$9.99
16 hrs ago
Inglourious Basterds (iTunes)
$6.99
16 hrs ago
Overlord (iTunes)
$9.99
16 hrs ago
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (iTunes)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
The Counselor (iTunes)
$4.99
16 hrs ago
The Predator (iTunes)
$9.99
16 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 10-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #21
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gandhi View Post
I've read the article, and I've read and participated in many of your previous threads/posts. I realize this is an ongoing concern of yours. I apologize that we seem to dismiss it so readily, but most of us don't see the future as you do. Heck, many of us don't see the present as you do.

This article brings up good points about the repercussions of an AT&T/Time Warner merge, but it's off base when it tries to paint a reality where many people are watching TV on smartphones, and suggests that AT&T would somehow push people in that direction further. Big screen TVs are still going strong, and most cord-cutters are switching to streaming to their TV, not to their phone.

The much younger generations could be choosing mobile over TVs, but wait until they're older. Many of them will want a bigger screen than a phone/tablet. Maybe not a full home theater (with projector/surround sound) or big screen TV, but a TV nonetheless. TVs and tablets are growing more similar these days when you consider all the apps on smart TVs, but it would be silly for smartphones and tablets to take over for TVs.

TVs are still less complicated and more convenient than mobile devices for the most part, and they can connect to many different sources beyond their onboard apps. Gaming consoles require a TV, Apple TV is popular and some people watch over-the-air TV still. Is it as much of a necessity as it once was? No. Not for everyone and everywhere. But TVs will still serve a purpose for years to come. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Big studio blockbusters are best viewed on a large screen, and those types of movies aren't going anywhere for a while. Same goes for TVs.

You say we should be concerned too, but I disagree. Plus, even if this is an inevitability, are you proposing we do something to stop it? Or should we simply worry? I choose to enjoy myself when I'm not working. Worrying about the demise of entertainment as we love it doesn't bring me joy.
Gentleman as usual, shame others can't follow your lead.
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 05:31 PM   #22
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkmanly View Post
And yet you don't see, on a site where there are literally tens of thousands of dedicated AV enthusiasts, a multitude of threads with people bleating about it.

It is very obvious this all or nothing scenario is something you have a major problem getting past. whilst others are rationalizing things in a more logical manner.
Bleating? That seems disrespectful to me.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:37 PM   #23

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
How would that work when one only has a mobile subscription? Wouldn't that require wi-fi? Why pay for fibre if mobile is where all the various subscriptions are watched?
With data caps for the majority of cell phone carriers, there would be a limiting factor to how much people watch TV. If people actually ditched their home internet connections along with cable, they could, in theory, watch TV until they hit their cap (4GB, 8GB, 20GB, whatever). Then people would be presented with 2 options, abruptly stop watching TV until the next billing cycle or pay the overages/increase the data on their plan. Most people wouldn't want to change their viewing habits, so you would have to pay for more data. With the massive price increase it would be to get that data, it would eventually drive "cord-tapers" to migrate back to broadband internet, and maybe even cable subscriptions.

Even with streaming services and DVOD options, there will always be that niche group that will refuse to go digital. Just like how today most music sales are subscription services/digital purchases, yet artists still release LPs.

Also, I'm sure if mobile broadband was the future and wi-fi disappeared, manufacturers like Roku and Google would make their streaming devices mobile compatible.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:44 PM   #24
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanton619 View Post
With data caps for the majority of cell phone carriers, there would be a limiting factor to how much people watch TV. If people actually ditched their home internet connections along with cable, they could, in theory, watch TV until they hit their cap (4GB, 8GB, 20GB, whatever). Then people would be presented with 2 options, abruptly stop watching TV until the next billing cycle or pay the overages/increase the data on their plan. Most people wouldn't want to change their viewing habits, so you would have to pay for more data. With the massive price increase it would be to get that data, it would eventually drive "cord-tapers" to migrate back to broadband internet, and maybe even cable subscriptions.

Even with streaming services and DVOD options, there will always be that niche group that will refuse to go digital. Just like how today most music sales are subscription services/digital purchases, yet artists still release LPs.

Also, I'm sure if mobile broadband was the future and wi-fi disappeared, manufacturers like Roku and Google would make their streaming devices mobile compatible.
They could use data caps as leverage to offer a service without using data or costing very little.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:50 PM   #25
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
To be honest Dynamo, this sort of response takes away from the issue at hand. It really should be something that all big screen fans should be concerned about.
I just don't see it as being an issue. Large TVs aren't going anywhere. I haven't seen the TV sections at major retailers shrinking.

If anything, demand for larger TVs has increased over the years. There was a time where a 50" flat screen was considered "big." Now many people see that more as a decent size for a bedroom TV.

I have a lot of concerns, myself, about things going more and more digital, but they all have more to do with buying/owning/accessing content. I don't want to purchase something digitally today and find out in a few years that I can't access it anymore because that service went under or something akin to that.

I have no concerns about large TVs going away. Mobile is just an additional option. Some people may watch content on the go... like while on a train, bus, airplane, on their lunch break at work, etc.

I doubt that most of those people are going home at the end of the day and opting to watch movies or TV shows on their phone instead of a TV.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:54 PM   #26
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
I just don't see it as being an issue. Large TVs aren't going anywhere. I haven't seen the TV sections at major retailers shrinking.

If anything, demand for larger TVs has increased over the years. There was a time where a 50" flat screen was considered "big." Now many people see that more as a decent size for a bedroom TV.

I have a lot of concerns, myself, about things going more and more digital, but they all have more to do with buying/owning/accessing content. I don't want to purchase something digitally today and find out in a few years that I can't access it anymore because that service went under or something akin to that.

I have no concerns about large TVs going away. Mobile is just an additional option. Some people may watch content on the go... like while on a train, bus, airplane, on their lunch break at work, etc.

I doubt that most of those people are going home at the end of the day and opting to watch movies or TV shows on their phone instead of a TV.
wish I could have that view of the way things will go.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #27

Feb 2008

Quote:
Bleating? That seems disrespectful to me.
No worries, I am a bit too straight talking at times.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:04 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

Quote:
They could use data caps as leverage to offer a service without using data or costing very little.
That's a possibility. This is all assuming the merge is approved. They were famously denied a merger with T-Mobile, as the article pointed out. Many opinionated people in the media are against this move. I think AT&T is getting too big for its britches, trying to buy up everything and dabble in so many different areas.

If this deal does get approved, the government will need to monitor them to make sure they're not doing anything shady to their competition and customers. But remember, they already own DIRECTV, which is definitely viewed mostly on TVs. They have a TV in every AT&T store showing off DIRECTV, even though there's a spiffy app-only version coming soon as an alternative.

I won't dismiss your concerns. There's merit to them. I don't know the future. I can only make educated guesses and speculate about where trends are headed, just like you. I can see a streaming-only future happening, but not quite a mobile-only future.

TV tech is always ahead of mobile tech in terms of display quality, so there must be a continuing demand for TVs to justify such a big, constant push for those new display technologies. Maybe AT&T will try to buy Samsung next, so they can own a piece of the TV manufacturing market.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 06:04 PM   #29
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkmanly View Post
No worries, I am a bit too straight talking at times.
Yeah, I noticed.
Thanks given by:
quirkmanly (10-25-2016)
Old 10-25-2016, 06:54 PM   #30
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

The awful thing is, they are talking the worst case scenario. Not tablets, laptops or PCs but a smartphone lol.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #31
Special Member

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Please don't rate this thread without understanding it. Read the link first. The industry thinks this is the way things are going for goodness sake. It can't be any clearer than that.
What was your take when Comcast (not a major player in mobile) bought NBC Universal?

What's happening is really quite simple: As traditional services are replaced by IP-based ones, telecom and cable providers are very afraid of being relegated to the role of providing only "dumb pipes" (a low margin business), while Internet companies are the ones making the big profits. Hence they are trying to stay in the game by obtaining their own content. There is no big conspiracy to take away your home theater and replace it with a tiny phone screen.

Last edited by Fiffy; 10-25-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:17 PM   #32
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by master gandhi View Post
That's a possibility. This is all assuming the merge is approved. They were famously denied a merger with T-Mobile, as the article pointed out. Many opinionated people in the media are against this move. I think AT&T is getting too big for its britches, trying to buy up everything and dabble in so many different areas.

If this deal does get approved, the government will need to monitor them to make sure they're not doing anything shady to their competition and customers. But remember, they already own DIRECTV, which is definitely viewed mostly on TVs. They have a TV in every AT&T store showing off DIRECTV, even though there's a spiffy app-only version coming soon as an alternative.

I won't dismiss your concerns. There's merit to them. I don't know the future. I can only make educated guesses and speculate about where trends are headed, just like you. I can see a streaming-only future happening, but not quite a mobile-only future.

TV tech is always ahead of mobile tech in terms of display quality, so there must be a continuing demand for TVs to justify such a big, constant push for those new display technologies. Maybe AT&T will try to buy Samsung next, so they can own a piece of the TV manufacturing market.
Having Retired from AT&T, I only have good thoughts about them but I am with you Master. I don't see a Mobile only future, just a Company trying to position it's self for a Prosperous Future. I keep going back to that Movie with James Coburn, The President's Analyst. Where AT&T controlled everything, even putting a Phone in your Head. Working for AT&T they just never wanted to be a Dumb Pipe, so the next step is having Content too. If you control the Transport and the Content....Now you have something!
Old 10-25-2016, 07:42 PM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Having Retired from AT&T, I only have good thoughts about them but I am with you Master. I don't see a Mobile only future, just a Company trying to position it's self for a Prosperous Future. I keep going back to that Movie with James Coburn, The President's Analyst. Where AT&T controlled everything, even putting a Phone in your Head. Working for AT&T they just never wanted to be a Dumb Pipe, so the next step is having Content too. If you control the Transport and the Content....Now you have something!
Yeah, my dad retired from AT&T and I still currently work for AT&T (albeit, in the wireless sales channel), so they've been pretty good to my family. Once I retire, maybe my thoughts will be nothing but good, but I unfortunately have mixed feelings about them at the moment.

Where I live and where my parents live, U-Verse HSI is atrocious (my parents can only get up to 6Mbps and my area only goes up to 1.5Mbps). It's an insult to their customers. They may as well not even service those areas. In some areas, they do offer Gigapower internet, so those are the lucky customers. Almost all other areas are second-rate speeds, though.

Digital Life (their home security/automation system) is a joke. It doesn't even come close to being as good as ADT or its other competitors. They just want their hands in as many areas as possible, even if they offer inferior service.

On the flip side, DIRECTV and AT&T's wireless network are still quality services they provide. I visited Bishop, CA earlier this month and did a speed test of the LTE on my phone, and it was around 88Mbps. That's a small town, not the big city. I was impressed. With the upcoming DIRECTV NOW app, they'll be changing the game for TV, and shoving aside Sling TV and other comparable subscription services.

You're right, though. They're making these purchases to try to stay relevant. I can't knock them for that, and at least they're still doing things right in some areas, especially wireless and TV.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:23 PM   #34
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Corporations are following generational trends. Millennials and younger generations don't feel that cable is a necessity like prior generations. What they do feel is a necessity are their smartphones, which is why video companies think future profits are tied to them.

The first company that comes out with affordable, wireless broadband will make billions.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:10 PM   #35
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Corporations are following generational trends. Millennials and younger generations don't feel that cable is a necessity like prior generations. What they do feel is a necessity are their smartphones, which is why video companies think future profits are tied to them.

The first company that comes out with affordable, wireless broadband will make billions.
Do you agree with me?

Every article I have read states AT&T are betting on mobile as the future of tv.

Last edited by Steedeel; 10-25-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:08 AM   #36
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

The economics of television don't really work unless you have a mass audience. We are already seeing how network television's business model is being affected by declining ratings. Networks are already starting to panic after seeing the NFL's ratings dip badly this year.

The mobile companies may very well tie entertainment packages to their service in the future. It's still several years away.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:48 AM   #37
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:

Quote:
Do you agree with me?

Every article I have read states AT&T are betting on mobile as the future of tv.
There is definitely a place for Wireless and Mobile, but it's not the end to the Home Theater. Smart Phones and Mobile Devices are a nice convenience, but I think in the long run the Home Theater will win out. There is nothing like enjoying your Movie on your Big Screen!
Old 10-26-2016, 08:57 AM   #38
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
The economics of television don't really work unless you have a mass audience. We are already seeing how network television's business model is being affected by declining ratings. Networks are already starting to panic after seeing the NFL's ratings dip badly this year.

The mobile companies may very well tie entertainment packages to their service in the future. It's still several years away.
Glad I'm not the only one who can see the danger of this. How can it be delayed? Simple. Stop watching digital copies and get back to disc send the big screen.

Also, the one argument that people have always used more than any other is sport lovers will always want the big screen. Not if they get match coverage for free on their smartphone or smartwatches. Steedeel's future is starting to come true and the doubters beware.

Of course further in the future, once it goes mobile, long form entertainment itself is in trouble.

Last edited by Steedeel; 10-26-2016 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:12 AM   #39
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2011
England

Quote:

So, as someone who strikes me as very passionate about film, how do you feel about this? Could you adapt to mobile and if not, will you walk away from your hobby?

I suppose the question is, will people still use the big screen as a 'dumb screen' to watch movies on or will all big screen viewing cease to exist?

Last edited by Steedeel; 10-26-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:45 PM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
T.A.R.D.I.S.

Yet another dumb thread born out of ignorance and paranoia.

People are getting bigger and bigger tvs. This is a fact. 65 inch isn't even considered that big anymore.

Yes, I want a world where I can watch whatever I want when I'm at home, and when I'm away from home.

Of course, arguing with the OP is like talking to a brick wall, so all of you and now me are wasting time.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies