Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: A Dog's Purpose $8.99 (3% claimed)
Soon: Jack Ryan 5-Movie Collection (… ()

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fantastic Beasts 2-Film Collection (iTunes)
$14.99

DC 7-Film Collection (iTunes)
$79.93

Batman 4 Film Collection (iTunes)
$19.99

300: Rise of an Empire (iTunes)
$4.99

Mr. & Mrs. Smith (iTunes)
$4.99
19 hrs ago
Shazam/Aquaman 2-Film Bundle (iTunes)
$24.99

The Dark Crystal (iTunes)
$4.99

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (iTunes)
$4.99

Justice League / Batman v Superman (iTunes)
$24.99

Labyrinth (iTunes)
$4.99

Tully (iTunes)
$4.99

Westworld: Season 1-2 (iTunes)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies

Old 02-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #1

May 2013
Default Vudu UHD vs HDX quality?

Is there a a big enough jump in quality to justify the extra cost?
For example- Sully is $4.99 for a HDX rental vs $9.99 for UHD.
I find that price difference to be the same for most titles.

On a whole, I find HDX to be no better than what I get with iTunes/Amazon HD.
But I am curious as to what others are seeing with their UHD offerings.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

HDX is far better for cost/quality ratio
Old 02-02-2017, 12:35 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

If you're going to spend $5 to rent the movie, why not buy a code for the same price?
Thanks given by:
AaronY (11-22-2017), flyry (02-02-2017), Me-Hostage (02-02-2017), Peavey (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #4

May 2013

Good point. I'm always a bit weary of buying codes from a third party, but maybe I'll give it a go.

Before I really dive in- do you guys feel Vudu will last as a service vs iTunes?
And why doesn't Vudu get the extras on all titles like iTunes?
Old 02-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2007
Katy, TX

Part of the problem is that to really notice the uptick in quality(assuming there is one), you'll need a TV that supports Dolby Vision on the VUDU app. As of now, only a few Vizio and LG units(and maybe some Sony, but I'm not sure) offer that.
Old 02-02-2017, 01:16 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2016
Here

I have a Vizio and I have seen several movies in UHD with Dolby Vision. As with 4K Blu-ray, the quality varies by title. I thought Mad Max: Fury Road looked better than the UHD Blu-ray, but I thought the opposite was true with Batman v Superman. Other movies, like Keanu and Black Mass, looked good but didn't blow me away,
Old 02-02-2017, 02:25 PM   #7

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes View Post
Good point. I'm always a bit weary of buying codes from a third party, but maybe I'll give it a go.

Before I really dive in- do you guys feel Vudu will last as a service vs iTunes?

I don't think Ultraviolet or Vudu are going anyplace, and it's available all over, not stuck on one manufacturers devices.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:32 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
United States

Quote:

VUDU's getting better about extras. When I first started getting into digital over a year ago, VUDU didn't give any movie extras unless you bought from them directly and bought the version with bonus features. Redeeming a code got you only the movie. But over the last several months, they've made those extras available to even the versions that are from codes or ported via UV, etc. Plus just more movies in general get extras now. There are still some extras that can only be viewed on a computer's internet browser (Batman v Superman, Don't Breathe and more), but most of them are available in the app.

Btw, iTunes definitely doesn't give you extras on all titles either. Just more titles than VUDU, and sometimes more extras or exclusive extras, but many movies that have extras on disc are barebones on iTunes just like VUDU. Nothing is consistent yet with digital, but it's improving at a decent pace IMO.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:23 PM   #9

May 2013

Ok- thanks. I think I'll go Vudu since my LG Oled has the app built in and the panel is hardwired via Ethernet.
Thanks given by:
Agent_DVD (02-03-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

I always felt that HDX on VuDu offered the best streaming quality. I recently experience Dolby Vision on VuDu ViD and it was quite impressive. So much so that I compared a few shots from Dawn if of Justice with the HDR bluray disc and the two looked exactly identical.
Top pics are HDR bluray.
Bottom pics are Dolby Vision on VuDu:

Quote:
Ok- thanks. I think I'll go Vudu since my LG Oled has the app built in and the panel is hardwired via Ethernet.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #11

Jun 2016

I have an OLED 2015 LG connected to an xBox One S for streaming the Vudu 4K titles. (only the 2016 LG OLEDs can stream 4K Vudu titles without an additional device like an Xbox or Roku 4K streaming unit. I find both HDX and UHD to be excellent quality. I think that the difference in cost to upgrade is pretty significant if you buy direct from Vudu. But on the secondary market, I think it is worth it. Vudu is owned by Walmart and has been growing so I do not see it going away and even if it does, the UV platform should survive as the movie studios increasingly have skin in the game with UV.
Thanks given by:
huskerbear (02-14-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 07:58 PM   #12
Special Member

Oct 2013

I have an OLED556CP. The TV can stream Dolby Vision 4k movies on Vudu. I can see quite the difference between the HDX and UHD versions. The average bitrate is 9 mbs on HDX while on UHD it's 25 mbs. Almost 3 times the bitrate as HDX. If you aren't seeing much of a difference, I think there is a calibration/setting issue. I see a more apparent difference between HDX and UHD, then there is with Blu-ray and 4K disks. I can stream UHD movies on the Xbox One S but without DV. Streaming through the TV app, enables DV playback. The DV version is superior.

IMO, it's worth having the title in UHD.
Thanks given by:
master gandhi (02-14-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 03:07 PM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2013
Boston,MA.

Here's a question on streaming UHD from a regular Blu-ray player. My TV is arriving any day now, but I won't have an UHD player until probably around the summer time. Will I be able to stream in UHD without the UHD player? Will the TV be able to handle 4K streaming all by itself? Thanks, for any help.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:33 AM   #14

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnbluray View Post
I have an OLED556CP. The TV can stream Dolby Vision 4k movies on Vudu. I can see quite the difference between the HDX and UHD versions. The average bitrate is 9 mbs on HDX while on UHD it's 25 mbs. Almost 3 times the bitrate as HDX. If you aren't seeing much of a difference, I think there is a calibration/setting issue. I see a more apparent difference between HDX and UHD, then there is with Blu-ray and 4K disks. I can stream UHD movies on the Xbox One S but without DV. Streaming through the TV app, enables DV playback. The DV version is superior.

IMO, it's worth having the title in UHD.
I picked up a code for Sully UHD pretty cheap.
Watched it tonight.
The stream stuttered a few times and totally locked up once.
I have Fios and I was getting a download speed of over 100 so not sure why the trouble.
That said- Vudu Displayed a pop up and suggested HDX quality.
So I tried it.
Man- what a step down.
4k Dolby V is impressive on its own- but - it's when you switch back down to HDX or standard 1080p HD that convinces you.

I couldn't finish the film in 1080p.
I was spoiled.
So I rebooted and got the DV stream back up and running.

I'll contact both Vudu and Fios (I usually get - speed of 150- not sure what held it back tonight) to inquire about the glitch.
my mind is made up.
If You have the option to go UHD- do it.
Thanks given by:
dunnbluray (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 01:40 AM   #15
Special Member

Oct 2013

Quote:
Watched it tonight.
I have Fios and I was getting a download speed of over 100 so not sure why the trouble.
So I tried it.
Man- what a step down.
4k Dolby V is impressive on its own- but - it's when you switch back down to HDX or standard 1080p HD that convinces you.

I was spoiled.

I'll contact both Vudu and Fios (I usually get - speed of 150- not sure what held it back tonight) to inquire about the glitch.
my mind is made up.
I'm glad you were able to experience the UHD DV quality. I haven't had any issues with streaming UHD on Vudu. I own several titles and haven't run into the issue you mentioned. My Internet speed is 90 mbs.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:53 AM   #16
Expert Member

Oct 2008

Quote:
Watched it tonight.
So I tried it.
Man- what a step down.

I was spoiled.

my mind is made up.
Maybe you didn't get consistent UHD quality because there servers were too busy at the time? Maybe it was a busy viewing hour through Vudu? I had something like this happen to me once while I was watching The Duff through Vudu in HDX but I only got 2 bars HDX quality, not all 3 bars, and I was on a 18 mbps connection and wired ethernet through a Roku 3.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:15 AM   #17
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Watched it tonight.
So I tried it.
Man- what a step down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnbluray View Post
I'm glad you were able to experience the UHD DV quality. I haven't had any issues with streaming UHD on Vudu. I own several titles and haven't run into the issue you mentioned. My Internet speed is 90 mbs.
You're probably set up with a Wireless Smart TV, and not Hard Wired. To get all the Bandwidth from your Provider you need to be Hard Wired. People think that Wireless is the same thing. Try it, Hard Wire your Streaming Device and see the difference.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:16 AM   #18
Expert Member

Oct 2008

I'm planning on buying a 4k TV later this year, maybe the middle of this year at the earliest, and I'm wondering if it's worth spending more for a UHD-UV code instead of an HD-UV code for future proofing?
Old 02-28-2017, 10:04 PM   #19

Nov 2013

I've noticed the UHD (specifically on Vudu) is inferior to HDX. More background noise/artifact.

4K via netflix, amazon, etc is all fantastic.... but the Vudu UHD quality is poor. I actually watch titles in HDX even if i own the UHD.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:18 AM   #20
Special Member

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddssc121 View Post
I've noticed the UHD (specifically on Vudu) is inferior to HDX. More background noise/artifact.

4K via netflix, amazon, etc is all fantastic.... but the Vudu UHD quality is poor. I actually watch titles in HDX even if i own the UHD.
Two questions.

Why would you buy the UHD version if you think it's inferior to the HDX version? Do you have a TV that supports Dolby Vision?

I think the UHD is leaps and bounds over the HDX counterpart. I think it comes down to a calibration issue or the type of TV.
Thanks given by:
kurtkuss (03-13-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies