Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Long Shot (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
38 min ago
Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Nikkatsu Diamond Guys: Vol 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$53.99

Flesh Gordon (Blu-ray)
$23.89
9 hrs ago
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Gremlins 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Dark Phoenix (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 01-02-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
Power Member

Apr 2011
Default Malcolm in the Middle Complete Series on Blu-ray

I've seen that Netflix has the show available in HD but the early seasons look more like clean upscales than anything else, though that's still better than the DVDs, I suppose.

Now, the last two seasons looked great in HD but no BD for them either.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #2

May 2009
New Zealand

The music rights would be to expensive for them to retain.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:58 PM   #3
Expert Member

Sep 2013
Boynton Beach, FL USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrumb View Post
I'm re-watching the show now (started before Netflix got its "HD"), and it has the correct theme. Is there anything else it's missing? I only watched it off and on when it aired so I don't remember if it had a big music influence.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:05 PM   #4

May 2009
New Zealand

Well yeah the theme would remain of course. They use music from other well known artists throughout the series though, and in some other TV series they had to remove them for DVD release as they couldn't afford to re-licence the music.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:28 PM   #5
Banned

Aug 2009
Watsonville, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrumb View Post
Far too expensive and that's why only the first Season is on DVD. The music clearance rights. Of course there have been people making their own custom fan DVDs of the remainder of the series.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #6
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Rogers View Post
Far too expensive and that's why only the first Season is on DVD. The music clearance rights. Of course there have been people making their own custom fan DVDs of the remainder of the series.
All seven seasons are out on DVD in UK while Germany only has Seasons 1-3.

UK Edition

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Malcolm-Midd.../dp/B00E8GPPGQ

Individual Season UK releases:

Season 1 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Malcolm-Midd.../dp/B0073V2GIS
Season 2 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Malcolm-Midd.../dp/B009G248AG
Season 3 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Malcolm-Midd.../dp/B00ARZ1NUE
Season 4 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Malcolm-Midd.../dp/B00ARZ1NT0
Season 5 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Malcolm-Midd.../dp/B00BY4MUQS
Season 6 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Malcolm-Midd.../dp/B00C5J1XZA
Season 7 - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Malcolm-Midd.../dp/B00E8GPPG6
Old 01-09-2016, 11:35 PM   #7
Banned

Aug 2009
Watsonville, California

Well it is a fact that music clearance rights could and are inherently different when comparing USA and UK/Europe releases of certain shows.
i.e. Seasons 2 & 3 of QUANTUM LEAP released in the UK on DVD, which I own, don't have ANY generic music alterations. They retain all music/songs as featured in the episodes as broadcast. UK weren't able to release Season 4 unaltered, unfortunately.
Some DVD releases in the USA solely have the Syndicated versions on disc whilst a couple other countries, particularly Germany and others, have the originally broadcast versions without any alterations including the commercial break fades. Rings true for ROSEANNE, 3rd Rock from the Sun, and ALF just to name a few regarding this.
Hopefully that 22 Disc set won't have anything censored i.e. the music/songs. No idea if it'd be listed on Movie-Censorship.com
Old 03-13-2016, 04:38 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009

I'm currently watching this on Netflix, their "HD" masters don't look like they came from film negatives. They look like they came from tape masters.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #9

Mar 2010
Scotland

Quote:
Well it is a fact that music clearance rights could and are inherently different when comparing USA and UK/Europe releases of certain shows.
i.e. Seasons 2 & 3 of QUANTUM LEAP released in the UK on DVD, which I own, don't have ANY generic music alterations. They retain all music/songs as featured in the episodes as broadcast. UK weren't able to release Season 4 unaltered, unfortunately.
Some DVD releases in the USA solely have the Syndicated versions on disc whilst a couple other countries, particularly Germany and others, have the originally broadcast versions without any alterations including the commercial break fades. Rings true for ROSEANNE, 3rd Rock from the Sun, and ALF just to name a few regarding this.
Hopefully that 22 Disc set won't have anything censored i.e. the music/songs. No idea if it'd be listed on Movie-Censorship.com
Oh what has been altered?
Old 07-22-2017, 07:35 PM   #10
Banned

Aug 2009
Watsonville, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob89 View Post
Oh what has been altered?
Only two songs from Season 4 were changed from the original broadcast masters. Maybe four songs but it's still altered due to that fact.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:18 PM   #11

Mar 2010
Scotland

Quote:
Only two songs from Season 4 were changed from the original broadcast masters. Maybe four songs but it's still altered due to that fact.
Ah never knew that. I was under the impression it was all completely uncut. Wasn't going to buy the UK release anyway due to the field blending issue. I think the French release of season 4 has the original music, and also has the original long version of 'Company Picnic' as a bonus feature. I think i'll import the German release of season 1-3, which has a cool feature where you can choose between 16:9 or original 4:3 aspect ratio. They didn't release anything beyond that, so will get 4-6 from France, those seasons were made in widescreen anyway.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #12
Power Member

Aug 2007

I have started a crusade to get this released on blu-ray and I think this is perfect for a SHOUT Factory release. I would kindly like to ask everyone posting here to please fill out this form and ask Shout to release the series with the original music, if anyone can do it, SHOUT I think might be willing. I also think SHOUT would definitely include the longer episodes as extras like they do with other series.

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/contact_us
Thanks given by:
meremortal (10-03-2017)
Old 07-07-2018, 08:20 PM   #13

Dec 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Siegel View Post
I have started a crusade to get this released on blu-ray and I think this is perfect for a SHOUT Factory release. I would kindly like to ask everyone posting here to please fill out this form and ask Shout to release the series with the original music, if anyone can do it, SHOUT I think might be willing. I also think SHOUT would definitely include the longer episodes as extras like they do with other series.

http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/contact_us
Done!

Shout Factory would in fact be the perfect home for a complete series release. But wouldn’t it have been easier to cut the music or would that be too drastic of an edit?
Old 11-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #14

Mar 2010
Scotland

In response to the title of the thread, this has just been released in Germany..

https://www.amazon.de/Malcolm-Mitten.../dp/B07GGNRGZV

Not HD, but SD on Blu-ray. Will look a bit better than it does on the DVD at least with better compression, and 3 seasons on 2 discs is nice.
Thanks given by:
JEDGAR1000 (03-14-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 03:12 AM   #15

Jan 2018
Switzerland
-
-
-
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob89 View Post
In response to the title of the thread, this has just been released in Germany..
[...]
Not HD, but SD on Blu-ray. Will look a bit better than it does on the DVD at least with better compression, and 3 seasons on 2 discs is nice.
Further to the above post, Germany now has the remaining Seasons 4-7 being released in a second set, as well as a Complete 7 Seasons boxset in September:

Again, SD on Blu-ray.
Thanks given by:
JEDGAR1000 (05-11-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 04:56 AM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Great show. But like most long series, it can take ages to slog through the episodes. I think I've been trying to finish this show off-and-on for a few years now and am only on like the third season.
Old 04-03-2019, 05:33 AM   #17
Special Member

Feb 2013
Essex, UK
United Kingdom

Pretty interested in the complete boxset, I was looking at the French DVDs as I believe they have the best picture quality however the complete set in fewer discs will do nicely
Old 04-09-2019, 04:04 PM   #18

Oct 2011
330-hio

What's the point of having SD on Blu-ray?!?!?
Old 04-09-2019, 04:07 PM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Are those sets region free?
Old 04-11-2019, 07:41 AM   #20

Jun 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazyForWeasley View Post
What's the point of having SD on Blu-ray?!?!?
Let me explain this for you: a DVD can only hold SD video (ok, you can take a DVD ROM, put some HD mpegs on it and play it in a computer - but that's not a standard or spec). A Blu-ray can hold SD and HD video (as e.g. bonus often is SD, at least for older films etc.). So, even if you only have SD, why not utilise the great storage capacity of a Blu-ray disc and put more content on a disc? This way, you can e.g. have a whole season per disc. It means less disc swapping (=you can binge from disc), less time to find the correct disc, less discs to store, less discs to produce. In comparison to a DVD box set, this requires less space at retail and at home and ultimately, it saves money. It's the best of both worlds. Since we usually offer both, you have the choice. Huge and clunky DVD set or neat and small SD on BD. Quality-wise, they're the same. It's the same source file and in 99% the very same encode.
Thanks given by:
navydavey (04-11-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists