Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Boris Karloff / Bela Lugosi Collection (Blu-ray)
$57.96
23 hrs ago
Batman / Batman Returns / Batman Forever / Batman & Robin (Blu-ray)
$10.00
9 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible - Fallout (Blu-ray)
$13.00
5 hrs ago
Black Swan (Blu-ray)
$4.99
17 hrs ago
Record of Lodoss War OVA + Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Hedwig and the Angry Inch (Blu-ray)
$30.37

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Blu-ray)
$26.96

Blade Runner (Blu-ray)
$5.00
7 hrs ago
South Park: The Complete Twenty-Second Season (Blu-ray)
$31.97
2 hrs ago
AVP Double Feature (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Outlander: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Justice League (Blu-ray)
$12.99
2 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 09-29-2018, 03:06 PM   #21

May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Is that the odd one that's both AVR and soundbar? Always struck me as bizarre that!
It does have a "receiver" of sorts, yes. It allows for 4 HDMI inputs, and clearly uses some high end technology.

I'm not asking you to love the device on faith, but two of you seem to have turned your nose up to it without giving it a listen. I'm simply suggesting you check it out before turning your nose up to it.

I was ONLY looking for a receiver and proper Atmos speakers when I started, but my buddy who ONLY likes high quality audio found this at a good price and suggested I give it a whirl. And as price was a serious concern for me (I probably couldn't afford ANYTHING when I got it), I decided to try it. And while I didn't listen to it before my purchase, it was an open-box unit on Amazon I felt I could easily return if it didn't work out.

Well, once I got it home, plugged the different pieces in, used the mic to setup the levels, and sat back and tried different 4K and Blu-Ray discs with Atmos, DTS:X, and so on... I was amazed! It really does provide deep, full sound, with what doesn't look like much more than a simple sound bar and sub.

My buddy bought it at my recommendation, saying he'd probably need a 2nd sub because he didn't think the powered 8" would be loud enough for his larger room with his 65" 4K LG set. Well, he got his home, set it up, and he's been nothing short of thrilled with it. He admitted it had WAY more bass than he expected, and despite having a larger room he runs it in... it works fantastic for him.

I thnk the only thing I might caution people on is if your have multiple "rows" of seating, like in a proper theater setup... this probably isn't the idea sound option for you (duh). When I moved my seat maybe a foot or two forward to place myself closer to my smaller 40" 4K Samsung, I realized after a movie or two that the audio didn't sound as impressive. That's when I got out the mic for the recalibration, and it sounded amazing with the new seat location by the time it was done. So it's clearly can't manage a larger area for optimal audio quality.

But a good receiver was going to be at LEAST $300, probably $500. Decent Atmos speakers... similarly priced. So I was looking at $1000 or MORE for an Atmos setup going into a bedroom converted into a movie / game room, and it would have probably been WAY more audio than that room needed.

Instead, I got the Pioneer Elite, and I'd kinda like to get another to replace the Marantz receiver and Boston Acoustics 5.1 set in my front room. If only money were never a constraint!

My apologies if no one is interested in my opinion. Too each their own. Cheers.
Thanks given by:
Grinny (09-29-2018), Turnda643 (03-18-2019)
Old 09-29-2018, 03:32 PM   #22

May 2017
ireland

Is it even a contest ? The Samsung N950 hands down
Thanks given by:
Fakejb (03-13-2019), Grinny (09-29-2018), oddbox83 (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 06:29 PM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by merkman View Post

My apologies if no one is interested in my opinion. Too each their own. Cheers.
You've taken it personally when there was no such intent. I was merely pointing out I find the mix of AVR and bar an oddity, which it is as I don't think anyone else has done it?

I can see the benefits of such a system though. The N950 with an added plethora of inputs in a small form factor receiver unit would be a real force to be reckoned with. But you get to that point and think why not just get a good AVR and speakers?

I do think the AVR market is missing soundbar-like combined speakers for the front channels mind. Likewise wireless speaker compatibility which are still a rarity in AVRs, I can only thing of Bose and more recently Yamaha who are playing in that sand pit with their receivers. The high end AVR market seems incredibly resistant to making things simpler for those who want that. The N950 and the like might force their hand.

So yes, that strange little Pioneer Elite might be onto something if market forces drive a dovetailing in the middle between the two markets, a middle ground for those who demand the best quality but have limitations in setup. I'd personally love to have something with the beef of a dedicated separate AV Receiver and the ease of setup of the N950.

Last edited by oddbox83; 09-29-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:06 PM   #24

Aug 2017

Advice please guys
I have purchased the Sony HT-Z9F Soundbar but have a question
I have connected an Dolby Atmos soundbar but when I press display on the x800 remote control while playing a movie it says Dolby True HD not atmos
But on the soundbar display button it says Dolby Atmos-Dolby TrueHD on the TV screen does this mean atmos or true hd audio I am hearing

I read the last update has killed the atmos on the x800 so people are saying reset to factory settings but this doesn’t clear or go back to the original firmware

When I am using Apple 4K the display on the soundbar via TV screen says only Dolby Atmos do I know the Soundbar is working ok

Last edited by Grinny; 10-28-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:43 AM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

I think you should be OK if the bar is saying Atmos.

My Oppo doesn't say Atmos even though my receiver shows it.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:11 AM   #26

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephengizmo View Post
Is it even a contest ? The Samsung N950 hands down
No doubt....anyone with the N950 thought about "upgrading" the sub? What's compatible?
Old 11-11-2018, 08:46 PM   #27

Oct 2008
Sydney, Australia

The LG SK9Y is a great ATMOS soundbar.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #28

Feb 2019

I've been eyeballing the N950 and watching and waiting for it to come out, but given that it is a soundbar, in the end, I can't imagine it is actually going to sound $1000 better than a Vizio ... if the Vizio does Atmos over ARC like the N950, I'm sold. So glad I'm learning this before doing something silly like impulsively buying an N950! Thanks!!
Old 03-13-2019, 11:44 PM   #29

Sep 2011

i just got the n950...damn this sound bar is impressive in atmos mode. bladerunner 2049 was bringing my house down.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #30

Aug 2013
Frisco, TX
Send a message via Yahoo to ikhon

The LG SK10Y with multiple HDMI inputs (one for ARC, 3 total, 1 optical) a wireless sub (surprisingly punchy), and the ability to add rear wireless speakers (via a separate receiver/controller, must also be purchased separately) won me over. The only drawback for me is, it doesn’t support DTS-X.
Just another option to consider if your current purchase doesn’t meet your needs.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion