Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
48 Hrs. / Another 48 Hrs. 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.99
1 day ago
Flashdance 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99
1 day ago
Bodies Bodies Bodies (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 day ago
The Right Stuff (Blu-ray)
$5.99
23 hrs ago
Lifeforce 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$82.26
1 day ago
The Fisher King 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Triangle of Sadness 4K (Blu-ray)
$33.54

The Craft 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Cat People 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Fall (Blu-ray)
$10.99
1 day ago
Escape from New York 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 08-16-2021, 04:40 PM   #4281
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 314carpenter View Post
I have an OPPO 103D that is apparently region free. I am in the U.S and this unit only plays region B blu-rays.

Does anyone know how to change it to region A? There is nothing external that I can see that would indicate this unit was modified. Sorry, but I have no idea what mod was used.
If you're not sure, you could pop the top and see if the mod inserted in the the Header since 99% of Oppo seem to use the same mod.

The std instructions (https://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/oppo-region-mod/)
  • Start player and do not put in any disc. Wait until the screen show "No Disc". Do not go to the next step until "No Disc" is displayed on player.
  • Press the "Setup" button on the remote: go to "Playback Setup", set "Auto Resume" to "Off"; then exit "Setup" menu.
  • Press the following buttons in sequence on the Oppo remote:
  • Region A: Dimmer, Dimmer, Dimmer, Mute, 1
  • Region B: Dimmer, Dimmer, Dimmer, Mute, 2
  • Region C: Dimmer, Dimmer, Dimmer, Mute, 3
  • Turn off the player with the power switch on the player. Wait 10 sec after the LED turns to red (machine off)
  • Turn on the player. The Blu-ray region setting will be effective after reboot.
Don't try to do this fast or some keystrokes can be missed -- I normally watch the front panel for the Dimmer effect to make sure. My 103D seems better about the remote signal than my 93.

If you've tried to play a disc and gotten a region lock message in the past, it may be helpful to clear the persistent memory first since the Oppo has a very good memory for what happened the last time you played a specific disc -- that can be very helpful or particularly irritating. Some folks just start playing a disc the first time in the correct region then eject the disc and never have to worry about which region the player is set -- they say they have several hundred discs memorized

I've never been very good with the method of clearing the memory of a single disc, but apparently you hit the STOP button 2-3 times while playing a specific disc. I've tried this and sometimes I still get the memory issues if I forget which region I've got the player set

Last edited by hariseldon; 08-16-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Thanks given by:
314carpenter (08-17-2021), stratford (08-16-2021)
Old 08-16-2021, 08:35 PM   #4282
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2009
Silicon Valley - where you never run out of toys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oniiz86 View Post
Joke all you want, it still doesn't negate the fact it is an egregious error that never should've been present, the mainstream brands had no such issues, OPPO catered to audio/video enthusiatists who sought reference level playback, I find it hard to believe that uninterrupted playback of 3 hour plus films via bitstreaming is a difficult task to get right, sure the OPPOs are so feature rich with unparalleled versatility but it's disappointing that they failed to provide uninterrupted audio for films greater than 3 hours, surely the MT8580 dual core SoC should have been more than up for the task.
In all do seriousness, I never saw it with watching the longest movies I had in my collection, and prodding other testers to watch movies for 3+ hours non stop was extreme torture to verify it was gone.

Yes several of us looked into this matter but, you're not considering how much time was wasted trying to record that hardware fault for a brief second for verification it was resolved after some programming adjustments.

Your statement in bold shows you didn't even consider the time involved to diagnose this issue.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:48 PM   #4283
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2009
Silicon Valley - where you never run out of toys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_breeze View Post
Wouldn't they have to have MORE time on their hands if they watched 3-hour-plus movies WITH breaks? I mean, that's just math.
With any business, you have to prioritize what you can achieve and support as many as you can over the course of several hours. Not a good idea to be focused on something that expends too much work time without achieving anything. Obviously a lot of these issues were worked on by other Oppo engineers back in China and at MediaTek to see if they resolve this. But the problem would have been seen across any platform that used the same MTK SoC.

Last edited by JohnAV; 08-16-2021 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:59 PM   #4284
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
With any business, you have to prioritize what you can achieve and support as many as you can over the course of several hours. Not a good idea to be focused on something that expends too much work time without achieving anything. Obviously a lot of these issues were worked on by other Oppo engineers back in China and at MediaTek to see if they resolve this. But the problem would have been seen across any platform that used the same MTK SoC.
Ummm.... I was just making a joke about the amount of time it takes for a casual viewer to watch a 3+ hour movie without breaks compared to watching a 3+ hour movie WITH breaks. I don't know what you're responding to, talking about "business priorities", etc. Maybe I wandered into the wrong conversation. <quietly slinks out of the room>
Old 08-16-2021, 09:07 PM   #4285

Nov 2017
Nott'm, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Obviously a lot of these issues were worked on by other Oppo engineers back in China and at MediaTek to see if they resolve this. But the problem would have been seen across any platform that used the same MTK SoC.
Indeed... there were several Sony players, three Pioneer players, two Arcam players, two Cambridge Audio players. Plus one Primare and one Electrocompaniet player that are fitted with MediaTek MT85xx chip-sets.
Old 08-16-2021, 09:28 PM   #4286

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Indeed... there were several Sony players, three Pioneer players, two Arcam players, two Cambridge Audio players. Plus one Primare and one Electrocompaniet player that are fitted with MediaTek MT85xx chip-sets.
I know it's going back quite some time, a post of yours from the AVS forums had confirmed you experienced no such audio disruption with your BDP-103EU when playing back Lawrence Of Arabia (50th Anniverary Edition), would that have been via Bitstream or LPCM?

Quote:
Yep, I recently watched the 50th anniversary edition of Lawrence of Arabia on my BDP-103EU... Without any playback issues...
Old 10-21-2021, 07:32 AM   #4287
Special Member

Apr 2018

Does anyone know if the Oppo 103 supports external subs on USB for a bluray disc like the Oppo 203 does?
Old 10-28-2021, 04:23 PM   #4288

Oct 2021

Hello gents,
Have a basic question: if I need to play region 1 (North-America) blurays in Europe (region 2, France) do I need both region-free player AND tv or just player? I have the multi format bluray player already.
Thanks for your help.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:06 PM   #4289
Special Member

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Motz View Post
Hello gents,
Have a basic question: if I need to play region 1 (North-America) blurays in Europe (region 2, France) do I need both region-free player AND tv or just player? I have the multi format bluray player already.
Thanks for your help.
You shouldn’t need anything other than a region free player. In the old days you had to worry about NTSC and pal but most Blu-rays are now at 24p worldwide, and regardless, most modern TVs can handle PAL and NTSC formats.
Old 11-06-2021, 09:57 AM   #4290
Power Member

Jun 2014
City of Angels

Is anyone in the market in the Los Angeles area for an Oppo 103? I’m about to bite the bullet for a 205 and would like to sell my 103 to help cushion the blow. Asking $350.

Edited to add I would deliver.

Last edited by JohnnyF; 11-06-2021 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-06-2021, 12:13 PM   #4291

Nov 2017
Nott'm, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyF View Post
Is anyone in the market in the Los Angeles area for an Oppo 103? I’m about to bite the bullet for a 205 and would like to sell my 103 to help cushion the blow. Asking $350.
Just so people know... The BDP-10x players are very useful for anyone wanting to back-up their SACD collection
Thanks given by:
JohnnyF (11-06-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 02:44 AM   #4292
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Dallas, TX

Try posting on the usaudiomart, avsforum, and audiogon marketplaces

Last edited by pacman9270; 11-08-2021 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Updated websites
Thanks given by:
JohnnyF (12-05-2021)
Old 11-10-2021, 03:46 AM   #4293
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2012
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestrangestick View Post
Does anyone know if the Oppo 103 supports external subs on USB for a bluray disc like the Oppo 203 does?
It does.
Old 12-01-2022, 02:37 PM   #4294

Sep 2022

On the OPPO 105 or 103...

...Would you guys recommend having the Darbee 'ON' or 'OFF' on a modern day TV like the Sony A95K QD-OLED.
I was wondering if having the Darbee ON (setting it as 'HI-DEF') might be beneficial, but I don't want to introduce ringing or too much edge enhancement.
Your opinions??

And one more quick question...

I have an old OPPO 105 bluray player (it is 1080p full HD but NOT UHD).
I have it attached to HDMI Input 1 on the new Sony A95K QD-OLED.

I still use the Oppo for occasional streaming and bluray and DVD discs - as it is still a legendary player.

What should I set the Sony A95K Input 1 to??? Standard or Enhanced???

Is there any benefit to using Enhanced considering the Oppo's signal output???

Lastly, should I have the Oppo set to 'AUTO', '4:2:0' or '4:4:4' as the output???

Thank you.
M
Old 12-01-2022, 03:48 PM   #4295

Apr 2013
Dallas, TX

My understanding at the time of purchase that the whole point of ordering the Darbee enhanced player is that it would offer picture improvements that were discernible in some if not all cases. I’ll have to check again but I think mine is defaulted to “auto” and there has never been a reason to change it. I ordered this mod to be able to play the recently released German Blu-ray of THE ALAMO, which includes the reconstructed roadshow presentation similar if not identical to the deluxe laserdisc version (which I still have). I haven’t watched it yet, but did check after installation to be sure the region changeover happened, which it did on the second attempt. It’s good advise from a previous posting to press the buttons slowly and deliberately. This device in question opened up the possibility for taking advantage of specials like the last Indicator sale, where most but not all discs offered were region A, B and C. I got a couple that haven’t had a North American release like Dennis Hopper’s THE LAST MOVIE (1971), which I saw along with the actor/director at the 1972 USA Film Festival at SMU in Dallas but haven’t had an opportunity to see since, and MISSING (1982), which has strangely never been available in the US either. I love my Oppo players (also have an older DVD player which allowed for a one time button activated changeover to region free), plus I found a spare older Blu-ray player at a thrift store for about $50, so I keep that as a backup in the guest room. I lament not grabbing one of their UHD players before they discontinued them. I’m compensating by getting a Panasonic UB9000 this coming weekend from the Black Friday sale at Best Buy to go with the newly acquired Sony Z9J.
Thanks given by:
BillyDuffyLove77 (12-01-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 03:30 PM   #4296

Nov 2010
Charlottesville VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyDuffyLove77 View Post
On the OPPO 105 or 103...

...Would you guys recommend having the Darbee 'ON' or 'OFF' on a modern day TV like the Sony A95K QD-OLED.
I was wondering if having the Darbee ON (setting it as 'HI-DEF') might be beneficial, but I don't want to introduce ringing or too much edge enhancement.
Your opinions??

And one more quick question...

I have an old OPPO 105 bluray player (it is 1080p full HD but NOT UHD).
I have it attached to HDMI Input 1 on the new Sony A95K QD-OLED.

I still use the Oppo for occasional streaming and bluray and DVD discs - as it is still a legendary player.

What should I set the Sony A95K Input 1 to??? Standard or Enhanced???

Is there any benefit to using Enhanced considering the Oppo's signal output???

Lastly, should I have the Oppo set to 'AUTO', '4:2:0' or '4:4:4' as the output???

Thank you.
M
I generally don't like any processing of audio or video signals, but Darbee has a great reputation and when I did an A-B test, I noticed no artifacts. The effect is subtle, but does seem to add some detail. I use it.

I suggest playing around with it. There are comparisons you can do while in it: ones a wipe, the other is a split screen and there might be one other. I don't think there's an auto setting. Just pick the level (HD recommended) and play around with the number. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I did raise it a little from default. If in doubt I'd say just go with default.

Standard is fine for the input; enhanced is only needed for high bandwidth 4K HDR. But it won't hurt anything to set it to enhanced.

I set auto and it ends up outputting 4:4:4; Auto on my Sony 4K UBP X800M2 outputs at 4:2:2. But any choice doesn't really make a discernible difference from what I've read.

Just FYI- I have my 103D set to output everything at 1080P. So it upscales anything below that and just passes 1080 as is. I believe the 103 upscales lower rez better than my Sony A80J, but the Sony upscales better from 1080P to 4K- plus, I want the benefit of Reality Creation.

On my system, 1080P looks awesome. 4K is better, but not much better- mainly when WCG is used to good effect in HDR implementation. Have fun- great days to be a videophile!
Thanks given by:
BillyDuffyLove77 (12-03-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 11:25 PM   #4297

Sep 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWgrayhawk View Post
I generally don't like any processing of audio or video signals, but Darbee has a great reputation and when I did an A-B test, I noticed no artifacts. The effect is subtle, but does seem to add some detail. I use it.

I suggest playing around with it. There are comparisons you can do while in it: ones a wipe, the other is a split screen and there might be one other. I don't think there's an auto setting. Just pick the level (HD recommended) and play around with the number. I don't recall the exact numbers, but I did raise it a little from default. If in doubt I'd say just go with default.

Standard is fine for the input; enhanced is only needed for high bandwidth 4K HDR. But it won't hurt anything to set it to enhanced.

I set auto and it ends up outputting 4:4:4; Auto on my Sony 4K UBP X800M2 outputs at 4:2:2. But any choice doesn't really make a discernible difference from what I've read.

Just FYI- I have my 103D set to output everything at 1080P. So it upscales anything below that and just passes 1080 as is. I believe the 103 upscales lower rez better than my Sony A80J, but the Sony upscales better from 1080P to 4K- plus, I want the benefit of Reality Creation.

On my system, 1080P looks awesome. 4K is better, but not much better- mainly when WCG is used to good effect in HDR implementation. Have fun- great days to be a videophile!
Many thanks. Very very helpful!!!
Thanks given by:
JWgrayhawk (12-04-2022)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders