Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy (Blu-ray)
$51.96

Violet Evergarden: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$37.66

One Piece Film: Red (Blu-ray)
$22.99

The Demon Girl Next Door 2: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$36.27
1 day ago
Ghost in the Shell 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.99
8 hrs ago
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (Blu-ray)
$16.19

Love After World Domination: The Complete Season (Blu-ray)
$38.99
12 hrs ago
Restaurant to Another World: Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$48.99

Perfect Blue (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Patlabor: The Mobile Police - Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$52.92

Redo of Healer: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.89

Mother of the Goddess' Dormitory: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$36.62
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 12-03-2022, 08:40 PM   #1541
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2014
Southern California

S2 is gone from Sentai/RS too.
Thanks given by:
Kid Boruto (12-04-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 10:52 PM   #1542
Expert Member

Aug 2018
Sasnak

A lot of essentials titles listed earlier in the thread just hit the sale on Rightstuf if you have GA for early access.
Thanks given by:
briwas101 (12-03-2022), Kid Boruto (12-04-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 10:56 PM   #1543

Aug 2020

I think some of the doom and gloom over the Funi Essentials titles going out of print is a little excessive, personally. Discotek has done the exact same thing in the past few months, at least in one case for a title that was only available for a month or two. And Sentai has also let titles go out of print while maintaining streaming rights, or never released licensed titles on disc at all (Urashiman, Between the Sky and Sea, etc).

An array of older and/or more obscure titles going out of print is not surprising, not an outlier in the anime industry, and not an indication of anything that wasn't already obvious. Namely, that CR isn't likely to be doing budget re-releases of their titles. But that just means that the initial release of a title will likely be the only release of that title, so don't wait 5 years for it, hoping to find it at bargain bin prices.

As for CR not releasing everything, relegating titles to streaming only? They've already been doing that for years, so I'm not sure why people are acting like that's some big surprise or new policy. Funimation's been terrible at releasing stuff for years, even for major titles, which is why there are dubbed My Hero Academia and Reincarnated as a Slime OVAs that were never released, even though Funi dubbed them. Much less whole series that were dubbed and never released, like Masamune-kun's Revenge. It's looking like Re:Zero season 2 is ending up in the same place.

And don't even start me on prior CR-only licenses; you could go back over the last decade and produce a massive list of titles on CR that were never released on disc. Granted, CR didn't get the home video rights to all of them, but there's a number of them they did, and those titles were just stuck in limbo.

So really, I'm not seeing this as being that much different. Before, CR would get some titles, Funi would get some, and between the two of them, a number of those would never get released. Now, Funi/CR gets the same pool of licenses, a number of which won't be released.

You could say there's some concern about the number of released titles reducing, but that isn't a new thing; I argue we've been seeing the result of the merged company's release slate practically the entire year. So these titles going out of print doesn't indicate anything new, in terms of what they will or won't release.

Last edited by Glorian; 12-03-2022 at 11:03 PM.
Thanks given by:
BigOnAnime (12-04-2022), Kid Boruto (12-04-2022)
Old 12-03-2022, 11:18 PM   #1544

Dec 2015
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorian View Post
I think some of the doom and gloom over the Funi Essentials titles going out of print is a little excessive, personally. Discotek has done the exact same thing in the past few months, at least in one case for a title that was only available for a month or two. And Sentai has also let titles go out of print while maintaining streaming rights, or never released licensed titles on disc at all (Urashiman, Between the Sky and Sea, etc).

An array of older and/or more obscure titles going out of print is not surprising, not an outlier in the anime industry, and not an indication of anything that wasn't already obvious. Namely, that CR isn't likely to be doing budget re-releases of their titles. But that just means that the initial release of a title will likely be the only release of that title, so don't wait 5 years for it, hoping to find it at bargain bin prices.

As for CR not releasing everything, relegating titles to streaming only? They've already been doing that for years, so I'm not sure why people are acting like that's some big surprise or new policy. Funimation's been terrible at releasing stuff for years, even for major titles, which is why there are dubbed My Hero Academia and Reincarnated as a Slime OVAs that were never released, even though Funi dubbed them. Much less whole series that were dubbed and never released, like Masamune-kun's Revenge. It's looking like Re:Zero season 2 is ending up in the same place.

And don't even start me on prior CR-only licenses; you could go back over the last decade and produce a massive list of titles on CR that were never released on disc. Granted, CR didn't get the home video rights to all of them, but there's a number of them they did, and those titles were just stuck in limbo.

So really, I'm not seeing this as being that much different. Before, CR would get some titles, Funi would get some, and between the two of them, a number of those would never get released. Now, Funi/CR gets the same pool of licenses, a number of which won't be released.

You could say there's some concern about the number of released titles reducing, but that isn't a new thing; I argue we've been seeing the result of the merged company's release slate practically the entire year. So these titles going out of print doesn't indicate anything new, in terms of what they will or won't release.
Still waiting for Yuru Camp that was long before merge happened.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:41 AM   #1545
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2013
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomranger View Post
You’ll be eating those words once Crunchyroll stops releasing every new series on disc and only the ones that generate numbers via streaming.
Maybe so. It seems like it was bound to happen sooner or later though. Look at TV shows on Blu-ray, most of them get tossed to DVD only or not released physically at all. Crunchyroll could also license series out to Discotek if they don't think it'd be worth their time to release it themselves.
Old 12-04-2022, 02:45 AM   #1546
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2015
Minnesota, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorian View Post

The only thing I find surprising is what titles we're seeing going OOP on Essentials, and stuff that isn't even 4 years old and wasn't re-released onto the budget lines. I can't imagine say Nichijou still not performing. They only got it because of a Kadokawa package deal indicated by the fact it was released subbed-only, and it overperformed as indicated by them going back and dubbing it, which they didn't do with any of their other subbed-only titles despite saying if they released something subbed-only, that was it, they were never going to go back and dub it.

I'm not particularly shocked with like the S.A.V.E. titles going OOP, especially the DVD ones. Many of those shows are now so old that newer fans have never even heard of them, especially when you consider how so many newer anime fans tend to be quite resistant to the idea of watching a show that's more than a few years old and largely stick with what's hot, new, and currently airing. Though, some of those S.A.V.E. titles could have had new sales if they got re-released on Blu-ray, a number of them have had Blu-rays in Japan for a while and FUNimation for whatever reason never got Blu-ray rights.

The days of budget re-releases do seem like they're now ending. FUNimation was the only company that ever both did them and stuck to them. Everyone else that did them quickly gave up, I have an entire list because of how many failed to stick around.
https://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=835398

Something to add, Classics and Essentials releases came with digital copies which seem like they're not going to be a thing anymore, so that could be one factor and we might see re-releases without the digital copies for some of these titles. The companies are still merging and the FUNimation brand hasn't been entirely phased out almost 9 months after the annoucement (the FUNimation website is still up).

I'm not going to be too impacted by many of the Essentials titles going OOP because I either bought the original releases because I wanted nicer releases rather than S.A.V.E./Essentials (especially if they got LEs), or I didn't like the show and have no interest in ever owning it (I listed many earlier).

Seeing all these titles going OOP is always a good reminder that if you want something, buy it. Not everything will be available forever, and unlike the 2000s anime DVD bubble, most titles are living out their licenses instead of going OOP after only a few years because companies that made horrible and boneheaded business decisions like overprinting everything to the moon resulting in countless retailer returns (*Cough*Geneon*Cough*) went under.
Thanks given by:
SteamfloggerBoss (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 03:23 AM   #1547

Aug 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOnAnime View Post
The only thing I find surprising is what titles we're seeing going OOP on Essentials, and stuff that isn't even 4 years old and wasn't re-released onto the budget lines. I can't imagine say Nichijou still not performing. They only got it because of a Kadokawa package deal indicated by the fact it was released subbed-only, and it overperformed as indicated by them going back and dubbing it, which they didn't do with any of their other subbed-only titles despite saying if they released something subbed-only, that was it, they were never going to go back and dub it.
The trick is, unless we've heard something else on the subject, we don't know how that experiment worked out. For example, it could have sold well sub-only, and then the dub didn't generate the sales expected, causing the show to be a break-even or loss overall. Or it could have sold well at first, but long term sales plummeted (it had no staying power), so there's no benefit to keeping the release in print at this point. Not saying either of those is the case, but it strikes me as very possible.

Quote:
I'm not particularly shocked with like the S.A.V.E. titles going OOP, especially the DVD ones. Many of those shows are now so old that newer fans have never even heard of them, especially when you consider how so many newer anime fans tend to be quite resistant to the idea of watching a show that's more than a few years old and largely stick with what's hot, new, and currently airing. Though, some of those S.A.V.E. titles could have had new sales if they got re-released on Blu-ray, a number of them have had Blu-rays in Japan for a while and FUNimation for whatever reason never got Blu-ray rights.
Honestly, if Funi let the licenses lapse, a few of the more notable DVD-only series might actually benefit from it, long term. The Negima franchise was stuck on DVD with Funi; it took them losing the license to enable Sentai licensing the franchise and finally giving it a BD release.

If Funi were to let the license to, say, Last Exile lapse, would that sit unlicensed indefinitely? I think there's a chance we'd eventually see some of the better known or received titles on BD from someone else. Not all of them, of course, but none of them are getting upgrades so long as Funi sits on them.

Quote:
Seeing all these titles going OOP is always a good reminder that if you want something, buy it. Not everything will be available forever, and unlike the 2000s anime DVD bubble, most titles are living out their licenses instead of going OOP after only a few years because companies that made horrible and boneheaded business decisions like overprinting everything to the moon resulting in countless retailer returns (*Cough*Geneon*Cough*) went under.
Hear, hear on that point. In the current market, titles could disappear at any time, especially the older and more obscure ones. So no one should be taking a given title's availability for granted.
Thanks given by:
Kid Boruto (12-04-2022), sagadego (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 03:45 AM   #1548

Sep 2019
Arkansas, USA
Send a message via ICQ to MasterAS Send a message via AIM to MasterAS Send a message via Yahoo to MasterAS Send a message via Skype™ to MasterAS

One piece of (very unlikely) speculation I have as to why they're being discontinued is that they might sublicense titles out to other companies. However like I pretty much said, I wouldn't count on it happening.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:56 AM   #1549

Dec 2009

Thankfully I own most of the stuff that kk1 posted.
Old 12-04-2022, 11:31 AM   #1550
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2015

One interesting side effect about these OOS Essentials IF you think RS will never restock them, they make a great way to pad out your order to get free shipping.
Thanks given by:
Kid Boruto (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 12:11 PM   #1551
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
United States

Quote:
Seeing all these titles going OOP is always a good reminder that if you want something, buy it.
Some people do not have infinite money to buy everything they want. Therefore, it's nice when product is available for a while.
Thanks given by:
Kid Boruto (12-04-2022), Misioon_Odisea (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 01:34 PM   #1552

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk1 View Post
One interesting side effect about these OOS Essentials IF you think RS will never restock them, they make a great way to pad out your order to get free shipping.
Not a bad piece of advice. Some online stores are really bad about that, and their system will automatically add the shipping charge even if they are the ones who cancel certain items and bring the total below the free shipping threshold, but RS still gives the free shipping. It takes away the anxiety of making small orders with OOS items.
Old 12-04-2022, 02:29 PM   #1553

Mar 2014

For those who missed it:

Nichijou: My Ordinary Life - The Complete Series [Blu-ray] got restocked at Amazon.com. Plenty of copies are available.
Thanks given by:
briwas101 (12-04-2022), dr727 (12-04-2022), Misioon_Odisea (12-04-2022), Richie-Kun (12-04-2022), SteamfloggerBoss (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 03:17 PM   #1554

Mar 2014

Apparently, lots of Funimation's OOP blu-rays, including some extremely-rare limited editions, got restocked this morning. Perhaps Amazon recently found them in its warehouse lol.
Thanks given by:
briwas101 (12-04-2022), SteamfloggerBoss (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 03:20 PM   #1555
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninebre View Post
For those who missed it:

Nichijou: My Ordinary Life - The Complete Series [Blu-ray] got restocked at Amazon.com. Plenty of copies are available.

Not the only one, from my earlier lists. (some you have to look in the "new from" as for some reason a 3rd party is listed)

So false alarm or last gasp? Get them while you can?

Rosaro + Vampire Back In Stock
First Love Monster
Taboo Tattoo Back In Stock
Regalia The Three Sacred Stars
Rampo Kitan
Sankarea
Gonna be the Twin-tail
Terror in Resonance Back In Stock
Witchblade Back In Stock
Kabeneri of the Iron Fortress Back In Stock
Chaos Child Back In Stock
Shomin Sample
Juni Taisen Zodiac War Back In Stock
Clockwork Planet
Tsugumomo Back In Stock
Endride
Unbreakable Machine doll Back In Stock
Code Realize
King's Game
Aria the Scarlet Ammo
Black Blood Brothers Back In Stock
Ben-to
Michiko and Hatchin
Senran Kagura
Eureka Seven AO
Hinamatsuri
Chain Chronicle Back In Stock
New Game
Thanks given by:
briwas101 (12-04-2022), dr727 (12-04-2022), Kid Boruto (12-05-2022), SteamfloggerBoss (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022, 03:29 PM   #1556
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2015

Quote:
Apparently, lots of Funimation's OOP blu-rays, including some extremely-rare limited editions

Such as?

edit: I see Goblin Slayer for $77, Wanna be the World's Strongest was $37 but when I clicked on it, it was already gone.

Last edited by kk1; 12-04-2022 at 03:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2022, 03:48 PM   #1557

Mar 2014

Quote:
Such as?

edit: I see Goblin Slayer for $77, Wanna be the World's Strongest was $37 but when I clicked on it, it was already gone.
Attack on Titan Limited Editions. Now all they are gone.
Old 12-04-2022, 03:55 PM   #1558
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2015

Quote:
Attack on Titan Limited Editions. Now all they are gone.
The part 2's? Season 2 and 3 boxes still are there (and have been). If it was season 1 now THAT would be rare.
Old 12-04-2022, 04:03 PM   #1559

Mar 2014

Quote:
The part 2's? Season 2 and 3 boxes still are there (and have been). If it was season 1 now THAT would be rare.
Season 1 and Season 3 Part 2. They have been OOP for a long time and are being sold for inflated prices.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:22 AM   #1560

Apr 2019
Sacramento, California

Quote:
For those who missed it:

Thanks for the heads up! Walmart canceled my previous order, so I went ahead and ordered from Amazon instead.

Quote:
Apparently, lots of Funimation's OOP blu-rays, including some extremely-rare limited editions, got restocked this morning. Perhaps Amazon recently found them in its warehouse lol.
How did you find this out? There a helpful list or post somewhere?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime