Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rocky (Blu-ray)
$25.01
16 hrs ago
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
The Little Mermaid (Blu-ray)
$22.99
2 hrs ago
Emmanuelle (Blu-ray)
$19.98
13 hrs ago
Vampire Hunter D (Blu-ray)
$7.99
 
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
Hannibal 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.42
 
If Beale Street Could Talk (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$33.48
 
Bend of the River (Blu-ray)
$19.98
14 hrs ago
A Silent Voice (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Logan Lucky 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2019, 01:24 AM   #1
red_5ive red_5ive is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
red_5ive's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Temecula, CA
18
597
1
2
1
Default Yamaha Aventage Surround:AI

Curious if anyone has tried out the new Surround:AI feature on the latest Aventage models and care to share likes/dislikes?

The closest place I have to demo doesn't have an optimal setup so I thought I'd ask here as I'm trying to decide between the prior model at a considerable discount (either a RX-A3070 or the CX-A5100 pre-pro) or just grab the latest RX-A3080 or CX-A5200 with Surround:AI. My main point for upgrading is to get 4k HDR to pass through the AVR/Pre-pro as my current model isn't HDCP 2.2, but if Surround:AI actually does anything - particularly with improved dialog as it claims - then that's the direction I'd rather go in.

Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #2
Okieboysf Okieboysf is offline
Member
 
Okieboysf's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
Loomis calif
10
1826
156
Send a message via Yahoo to Okieboysf
Default

Can I have your old reciever ��
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:51 PM   #3
Crotulus Crotulus is offline
Active Member
 
Crotulus's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
3
846
1
Default

I've had an A3080 for the past few months. I played with Surround AI a little when I first got everything setup. Didn't really notice much of a difference in my setup so I left it off. I've owned nothing but Yamaha over the years but have always kept the signal straight, never used the various DSP's.

I went for the 3080 because of a cyber Monday sale. It's definitely a nice improvement over my old RX-V1800.

Let me know if you have any questions about the receiver.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
red_5ive (02-02-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 10:28 PM   #4
red_5ive red_5ive is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
red_5ive's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Temecula, CA
18
597
1
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotulus View Post
I've had an A3080 for the past few months. I played with Surround AI a little when I first got everything setup. Didn't really notice much of a difference in my setup so I left it off. I've owned nothing but Yamaha over the years but have always kept the signal straight, never used the various DSP's.

I went for the 3080 because of a cyber Monday sale. It's definitely a nice improvement over my old RX-V1800.

Let me know if you have any questions about the receiver.
Looks like we went through the same type of upgrade path. I had an RX-V1800 as well and had upgraded to a 3010, then eventually to a 3020 to get the dialog level and it's still in use today. I've also owned 2 of their older flagships (RX-V1 and RX-Z1) so you can say I'm a Yamaha guy . The PEQ in the Aventage line is awesome. And unless I'm mistaken I think Aventage was among the first to introduce independent subwoofer calibration for the .2 channels in the 1000, 2000, and 3000 series units and in the 5000 series. Just another reason why I love this line of AVRs/Pre-Pros.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I'll likely go with the 3080 anyway as I can get a discount, but I'm so tempted to just grab a CX-A5200. It'll be be one or the other.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:05 PM   #5
Crotulus Crotulus is offline
Active Member
 
Crotulus's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
3
846
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
Looks like we went through the same type of upgrade path. I had an RX-V1800 as well and had upgraded to a 3010, then eventually to a 3020 to get the dialog level and it's still in use today. I've also owned 2 of their older flagships (RX-V1 and RX-Z1) so you can say I'm a Yamaha guy . The PEQ in the Aventage line is awesome. And unless I'm mistaken I think Aventage was among the first to introduce independent subwoofer calibration for the .2 channels in the 1000, 2000, and 3000 series units and in the 5000 series. Just another reason why I love this line of AVRs/Pre-Pros.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I'll likely go with the 3080 anyway as I can get a discount, but I'm so tempted to just grab a CX-A5200. It'll be be one or the other.
The CX-A5200 might be a step up in sound from the 3080 since it looks like you'll be running either through your Emotivas. Really depends on whether you need to use any amp channels in the 3080. Both units have Surround:AI if you are interested in it.

PM me if you are interested in checking out the 3080. Sounds like you may be local.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:00 PM   #6
3db 3db is offline
Active Member
 
Nov 2014
Ottawa Canada
39
Default

I'm definately a Yamaha guy. I have an RX-V1500 (used) in the bedroom, an RX-V1900 (used) on the main floor and an RX-V1800 (new) in my main system in the basement. I also bought 3 used Yamaha cassette decks , a K-720 in the bedroom, and 2 KX-800 for the mainfloor and basement system.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:20 PM   #7
red_5ive red_5ive is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
red_5ive's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Temecula, CA
18
597
1
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
I'm definately a Yamaha guy. I have an RX-V1500 (used) in the bedroom, an RX-V1900 (used) on the main floor and an RX-V1800 (new) in my main system in the basement. I also bought 3 used Yamaha cassette decks , a K-720 in the bedroom, and 2 KX-800 for the mainfloor and basement system.
A man after my own heart lol

I have a RX-A3020 in my main setup, and in my "Home office HT" as I like to call it a (aka mancave) an RX-A1030. I'm using both as a preamp, 11.3 with the 3020, and 7.2 in the mancave. They replaced an RX-A3010 and RX-A1010.

I tried other dedicated HT preamps from the mainstream manuf. over the years (Marantz AV7005, Onkyo PR-SC886) but I came back to Yamaha. I know people complain about how bright they are, but the Aventage line and the right PEQ tuning has led me to replace my dedicated 2-channel setup for music with just the Aventage. Sacrelig I know for 2-channel purists, but it sounds excellent to me, particulary the Natural EQ. I normally don't like any kind or processing with music, but in this case I'm a believer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:25 AM   #8
Crotulus Crotulus is offline
Active Member
 
Crotulus's Avatar
 
Jul 2011
3
846
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_5ive View Post
A man after my own heart lol

I have a RX-A3020 in my main setup, and in my "Home office HT" as I like to call it a (aka mancave) an RX-A1030. I'm using both as a preamp, 11.3 with the 3020, and 7.2 in the mancave. They replaced an RX-A3010 and RX-A1010.

I tried other dedicated HT preamps from the mainstream manuf. over the years (Marantz AV7005, Onkyo PR-SC886) but I came back to Yamaha. I know people complain about how bright they are, but the Aventage line and the right PEQ tuning has led me to replace my dedicated 2-channel setup for music with just the Aventage. Sacrelig I know for 2-channel purists, but it sounds excellent to me, particulary the Natural EQ. I normally don't like any kind or processing with music, but in this case I'm a believer.
I'll have to give Natural EQ a try. Never used anything but Pure Direct for 2-channel listening.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:40 PM   #9
red_5ive red_5ive is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
red_5ive's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Temecula, CA
18
597
1
2
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotulus View Post
I'll have to give Natural EQ a try. Never used anything but Pure Direct for 2-channel listening.
I just remembered, the Natural EQ curve on the 3020 was higher in the high frequencies compared to the 3010 I had previously, not sure why. I had taken repeat measurements over a period of maybe 6 months and it was the same every time. I ended up setting the EQ to match what my 3010 measured and that took take care of it, as otherwise it was too bright for my tastes. I also saw the same thing going from the RX-A1010 to the RX-A1030. So not sure if that's a characteristic of the models after the x010 series starting with the x020.

And yeah, normally I would prefer pure direct myself outside of a pure analog path, but my analog setup is gone in favor of the Aventage.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:52 AM.