Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
2 hrs ago
San Andreas 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Man of Steel 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.86

Point Break 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Jivaro 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.82

Kong: Skull Island 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$51.49

Dr. Seuss' The Grinch 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Monsters, Inc. 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.49
6 hrs ago
The Best of The Little Rascals in 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

It Came from Outer Space 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Fascination Coral Reef 3D: Mysterious Worlds Underwater (Blu-ray)
$12.99
6 hrs ago
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.47

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM   #2981
Special Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post
Don't take my word for it. It says in plain English on the latest DEG Report that UHD Blu-ray disc sales were up 70% in 2018.

https://www.degonline.org/wp-content...Ent_Report.pdf

Whether you choose to believe or deny it is up to you.
Personally I give more credence to independent reports over those from promotional organizations. I remember when DEG were inflating player sales. UHD disc sales up 70% due to more content, as you yourself asserted regarding dvd. But still small, certainly smaller than the days when 3D titles like Guradians of the Galaxy, Avengers, etc. garnered 25% - 33% marketshare. I dont think even the last UHD Star Wars movie broke out of the teens. Yet 3D was called a failure while the lesser selling UHD discs are called a triumph! Ohh-kay.

As for Stan & Ollie not being "high profile" due to a $5 million domestic haul, that's from only around 700 theaters. Worldwide tally is closer to $17 - 20 million depending on who's reporting. But high profile doesn't just mean box office. High RT score (93%), Golden Globe noms, critical acclaim, etc. are also high profile factors.

Last edited by film11; Yesterday at 09:09 AM.
Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM   #2982
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
Exactly.

Some of the anti 4K sentiments I notice around these parts are as ignorant and uncalled for as the anti 3D remarks that I've been reading ever since the format was introduced.

It's 4K and 3D, not 4K vs 3D. Both disc based media and both providing an amazing experience.

I'll never understand why some people would hate and rule out either one.
I guess I would be classified as both. I have about 7 3D movies. When I had my 3D TV and put on those awful active 3D glasses I knew that format wouldn't survive in the home market. 3D was just too much trouble. They were never going to support a niche market like us fans boys think.

The same is true with UHD disc. Optical disc (CD, DVD , Blu Ray, etc.) in general is going into obsolesce. Many of today's computer don't even come with optical disc drives. Apple been discontinued the inclusion of disc drive with their computers.

Streaming is the present and future.
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #2983
Expert Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi Wild,

You know we share both the same passion and frustrations.

All I can ask is why are there some who insist 3D is entirely dead and taking personal glee in it. I'm not referring to those who look at it in terms of the industry and see economic and marketing signs to base their conclusions. There is uncertainty due to the business which we cannot just ignore. Just as there are possibilities it will subtly jumpstart.

A decade ago I myself argued not that 3D would fail but rather that it would not reach the heights of being the next big consumer electronics item because there had just been a consumer purchasing transition to HD and most were not apt to simply discard a relatively expensive recent purchase. I also felt 3D was being over promoted as far as consumer interest to the point it became telling people what they wanted, which would turn many away. I resented it myself though I kept that separate from the entertainment value and enjoyment.

But that was the social scientist in me looking at it in terms of it both being introduced at the wrong time and consumer purchasing priorities. It had nothing to do with 3D itself in terms of fun and entertainment and trying to take pleasure away from the first wave of enthusiasts.

So it's not those who conclude 3D might not continue as a niche product by the industry that riles me up. We are all worried about that and even some true enthusiasts regret they see an unfortunate writing on the wall. My gripe is with those who seem to take personal pleasure in calling it dead for no other reason than being vicious.
3D is dead because LG, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic,etc. have deemed 3D dead by not providing us with anymore 3D TV's. Being gleeful or not doesn't change those facts.
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM   #2984
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
..................corporate elites make decisions that impact many if not all of us, constraining our consumer choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
3D is dead because LG, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic,etc. have deemed 3D dead by not providing us with anymore 3D TV's. Being gleeful or not doesn't change those facts.
Consumer 3D Development:

James Cameron talks about how Dolby glasses-free 3D brings the ultimate cinematic 3D experience into your home.

Last edited by Paul H; Yesterday at 02:59 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM   #2985
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
Phoenix, AZ

I think that video is several years old. I'm not aware of any recent developments regarding Dolby 3D.
Old Yesterday, 05:21 PM   #2986
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2012
Novato, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
The UHD Alliance should have embraced both formats in combo packs.
I agree it's aggravating for me to have to choose. Of course now the choices are fewer and far between but do I get The Grinch in UHD or 4K? (as the latest example). A few times I bought both (Wonder Woman). I'm sure I would have bought others that I passed on if they were packaged together, so that's a sale lost to them.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM   #2987
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Joe D.:

Well that's a kinda ironic position to now take.

I like the egalitarian/broader-minded place the post starts, but the last sentence returns to the visceral sting some of us feel/have felt as 3D-supporters regarding those who've declared it "dead." I'm with you in that regard. In addition to 3D, I've felt perhaps similar indignation about those who've dismissed SA-CD (just bought a Durufle "Requiem" SACD today) and DVD-Audio as "dead" when they're very much alive to me.

But I've tried to "get over" what other consumers have to say in this regard and focus on both my enjoyments and broader market-watching/analysis.

Respectfully, from my perspective--despite trying to qualify your remarks by introducing them by saying "Don't want anybody denied enjoying the type of consumer electronics that [gives] them pleasure"--you kinda started this latest round of exchange over the last two pages by referring to "taunt[s]" and who is getting the "last laugh." Then linking to the Forbes piece felt to me like you were intimating if not plainly saying 'turnabout is fair play'/'serves them right.'

Paul H. then thanks you for those remarks and links to the Bits article, using a "loser" icon after putting 'UHD [the intimation being BD?] will be much larger than 3D' in quotes as though that summarizes any part of that piece.

It took a few days but I've now gone back and read the Bits piece (I remember this from three years ago) and it's clear to me that what Ron Sanders was referring to is the totality of UHD markets. In other words, not just discs.

My point is that, from at least the beginning of this exchange two pages ago, "4K versus 3D" is a false dichotomy. So why use the Samsung decision as a point of departure to sort of finger wag?

The broader point (analogous perhaps to a lot of historical and contemporary examples) is that us "little guys" squabble amongst ourselves while corporate elites make decisions that impact many if not all of us, constraining our consumer choice.
Hi,

As you saw, that comment was only - and I mean only - directed to a few people. Not fans of 4K as I established but to those few who came on not about raving about 4K but also hammering into us how 3D was a gimmick and now dead. To them I simply reversed the tables, not hoping the article was a prophecy but to say how does it feel having that pointed out to you? Like Auditor above, is there a need to say it? Even with the facts that we all know, is there a reason why one has t be insensitive to other's feelings? We're upset enough!

So you are forgetting one thing. This was not the action of an elitist but the reaction to a select few 4K fans in their coming on to make a point about the 3D we love being dead - not once but often. So to them there was a finger wag for why come on to a specific forum to make such a remark?

That's why I opened with the point that didn't want seemed any other way.

Last edited by Joe D.; Yesterday at 05:45 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM   #2988
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

I think I understand your point, Joe, but I also understand it's largely about feelings--yours and those of others similarly situated in response to comments you find inappropriate especially given their location (what area of the forum).

Setting aside the issue of how problematic it can be to expect someone else/another group of people to understand/respect the feelings of another, the more you keep saying phrases like "reversed the tables" the more I suspect that the broader point is not getting clearly communicated or understood.

I would argue the Sammy 4K UHD BD player decision is not at all an analog to the current 3D situation. One manuf--that is still making 4K UHD displays--announces cessation of all their disc players. In other words, it wasn't a 4K-specific decision. That's not the equivalent of what happened when all of the final few display makers ceased production of 3D displays. Furthermore, 4K will continue to grow in all the non-disc spaces that are mentioned in that Bits article: broadcast, satellite, streaming. That's not the case with 3D.

So why even go there? Why even "nanner nanner" when it gives "the other side" room to say "It's not the same thing!"? Doing so intimates that (your) feelings are more important (to you) than those foregoing facts which kinda does a disservice to the "cause." (And frankly, this kind of enthusiast consumer dynamic is something even Bill Hunt has written about with regards to how Blu-ray zealotry turned off a lot of execs at the studios to the point that they didn't listen to the online fan community as much as in earlier years.)

I'm not clear on what you say I'm forgetting in your second paragraph. But your use of the word "elitist" begs the need to clarify that I was in no way calling you that. My use of the word "elite" was in reference to corporate hegemons not any individual.

Last edited by Paul.R.S; Yesterday at 10:12 PM.
Old Today, 04:28 AM   #2989
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
your use of the word "elitist" begs the need to clarify that I was in no way calling you that. My use of the word "elite" was in reference to corporate hegemons not any individual.
Hi Paul,

Appreciate knowing that.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Tags
3d t.v, 3d tv production halted, poping