Best iTunes Movie Deals

Best iTunes Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Lost, The Complete Series (iTunes)
$59.99
6 hrs ago
Alligator (iTunes)
$9.99
1 day ago
Vikings, Seasons 1-5 (iTunes)
$49.99
20 hrs ago
Chernobyl (iTunes)
$9.99
20 hrs ago
Ambulance (iTunes)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
Apocalypse Now (iTunes)
$6.99
23 hrs ago
Lost, Season 6 (iTunes)
$9.99
6 hrs ago
$4.99

Venom 2-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$17.99

Midway / Hacksaw Ridge - Double Feature (iTunes)
$12.98
23 hrs ago
Twin Peaks, Season 2 (iTunes)
$13.99
20 hrs ago
Deadpool 2-Movie Collection (iTunes)
$19.98

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > iTunes

Old 05-08-2022, 01:23 AM   #1

Mar 2010
Default can someone explain why some 4k codes are changing to hd(or less)?

I recently redeemed a bunch of movies codes. I had noticed a few would say they were initially 4k, but then switch to hd (or less). This happened with both dead pool movies(bluray codes). now they are hd. I am not sure, but I think 5 or 6 more have done this. When I click on them in itunes they initially show as 4k, and instantly switch to hd.

Here is inglorious bastards. I think it will switch as soon as I exit it from apple tv when I finish watching it. On some formats it says sd, on itunes it says 4k, but on apple tv, I think its hd or sd. this was a code out of the bluray version. when I redeemed it, I would have picked itunes if it was offered. If not, normally vudu or MA.

Old 05-08-2022, 01:40 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012

They’re not really changing quality. Apple’s system for some reason has a hard distinguishing your true video quality depending where you’re looking. The iTunes program for computer (windows at least) will always say HD and not 4K, while some will show the highest available in their store, not what you own. It’s usually best (for me) to check the iTunes Store movie listing or the my library section in the ATV app on my iPhone to see if I have in 4K.

Unfortunately, for Inglourious Basterds never had an HD iTunes code. It was just a disc/xml based based which only redeemed in SD. The 4K code would be a MA or Vudu redeem. So, you won’t have HD/4K rights if you’d redeemed an iTunes code for that one.
Old 05-08-2022, 02:15 AM   #3

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsung122212 View Post
They’re not really changing quality. Apple’s system for some reason has a hard distinguishing your true video quality depending where you’re looking. The iTunes program for computer (windows at least) will always say HD and not 4K, while some will show the highest available in their store, not what you own. It’s usually best (for me) to check the iTunes Store movie listing or the my library section in the ATV app on my iPhone to see if I have in 4K.

Unfortunately, for Inglourious Basterds never had an HD iTunes code. It was just a disc/xml based based which only redeemed in SD. The 4K code would be a MA or Vudu redeem. So, you won’t have HD/4K rights if you’d redeemed an iTunes code for that one.
Thanks. All the screen shots are from my ipad pro. I barely setup my pc (only itunes) but I have it set in my PS5 and I have a 4k oled tv attached to it.

I am a little concerned as I have about 30 duplicate codes(I bought a bunch of 4k discs). Like I redeemed back to the future(single bluray code for each title out of the trilogy set), and it was only hd. So I used the 4k code from the 4k set (1 code) and it gave me all 3 in 4k.

I assume that back to the future hd code I used is now wasted. Upgrading ontop of it with 4k, will not free it up.

I had another issue with boardwalk empire. Sets 1,2,4, and 5 redeemed fine. but set 3 would go thru the hbo website and then fail to invalid code on itunes. I contacted hbo and they were nice enough to offer me a fix (a code for the full season). Thats fine and its close enough, but the individual seasons have bonus material, where as the full season code I dont think has that bonus stuff.

another frustrating one is star wars the force awakens. I redeemed all 11 star wars movies. all went in as 4k. only force awakens is in hd. Disney told me to call them, so I will do that on monday. I have some older codes like captian america, thor, monsters inc, and puss in boots that I cant get to redeem (they want the disc and my pc I think is too new to handle it (windows 10 64bit). Its looking for itunes 7.xx and I have 11 or 12 on it. Plus I have about 15 other disney titles that used to have digital copies on their website. But when they dropped their streaming service the digital copies went away. On some of those magic code pages it says you would get a digital copy when I redeemed them like 15- 20 years ago. I want to see if they can do anything for me with those.

Last edited by mr.bill; 05-08-2022 at 02:23 AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 02:24 AM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012

If you redeemed the BTTF codes in iTunes (and they weren’t the disc based ones), then those should have received the free 4K upgrade in iTunes only. The old bd code could still work either at MA/Vudu for HD.

As for the bd codes, yeah some hbo/Cinemax iTunes codes did expired and was removed from the database iTunes uses to verify codes.

And with Force Awakens, was the code redeemed in iTunes? If not, and the code wasn’t 4K then it will just be hd on iTunes.
Old 05-08-2022, 03:09 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.bill View Post
I have some older codes like captian america, thor, monsters inc, and puss in boots that I cant get to redeem (they want the disc and my pc I think is too new to handle it (windows 10 64bit). Its looking for itunes 7.xx and I have 11 or 12 on it.
There are workarounds involving obtaining an XML file and mounting a virtual disc, but it's probably not worth it because disc-based digital copies generally only redeem in SD. They haven't been issued in many years.
Quote:
Plus I have about 15 other disney titles that used to have digital copies on their website. But when they dropped their streaming service the digital copies went away. On some of those magic code pages it says you would get a digital copy when I redeemed them like 15- 20 years ago. I want to see if they can do anything for me with those.
Are you referring to the old "Disney Movies Anywhere"? If yes, you may be able to transfer your movies to a Movies Anywhere account:

https://help.moviesanywhere.com/hc/e...vies-Anywhere-

But I don't think digital copies existed 15-20 years ago. ;-)

Last edited by Fiffy; 05-08-2022 at 03:13 AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 07:29 AM   #6

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiffy View Post
There are workarounds involving obtaining an XML file and mounting a virtual disc, but it's probably not worth it because disc-based digital copies generally only redeem in SD. They haven't been issued in many years.
Are you referring to the old "Disney Movies Anywhere"? If yes, you may be able to transfer your movies to a Movies Anywhere account:

https://help.moviesanywhere.com/hc/e...vies-Anywhere-

But I don't think digital copies existed 15-20 years ago. ;-)
well, I should have said dvd if were talking closer to 20. many disney movies I bought first on laserdisc, upgraded to dvd, upgraded to bluray, and now 4k.

some of the disney movies anywhere I had redeemed transffered to movie anywhere and itunes, but many just disappeared.

here is classic tron. Its 11 years ago released on bluray. here is a pic of its magic card that says it gave a digital copy. Of all the ones I had on movie anywhere, only 11 transferred over. tron did not make it over.

Last edited by mr.bill; 05-08-2022 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-08-2022, 07:42 AM   #7
Power Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
I recently redeemed a bunch of movies codes. I had noticed a few would say they were initially 4k, but then switch to hd (or less). This happened with both dead pool movies(bluray codes). now they are hd. I am not sure, but I think 5 or 6 more have done this. When I click on them in itunes they initially show as 4k, and instantly switch to hd.

Here is inglorious bastards. I think it will switch as soon as I exit it from apple tv when I finish watching it. On some formats it says sd, on itunes it says 4k, but on apple tv, I think its hd or sd. this was a code out of the bluray version. when I redeemed it, I would have picked itunes if it was offered. If not, normally vudu or MA.

There’s a simple explanation for what you’re seeing with Inglorious Basterds.
Just as Vudu, Movies Anywhere and the iTunes Store app show you redeemed an SD code, now there’s always been a glitch with the ATV app in that it will show the 4K icon on an SD movie when there is a 4K version available, however it will still only playback in SD.
There’s also a second glitch with the ATV app and SD owned content when there is a 4KHDR option available in that for some odd reason it will play the HDR layer on top of the SD stream.
Old 05-08-2022, 03:52 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
San Jose, CA

Quote:
some of the disney movies anywhere I had redeemed transffered to movie anywhere and itunes, but many just disappeared.

here is classic tron. Its 11 years ago released on bluray. here is a pic of its magic card that says it gave a digital copy. Of all the ones I had on movie anywhere, only 11 transferred over. tron did not make it over.
I'm a bit hazy on the timelines, but according to Wikipedia DMA was launched in 2014, which would be after this release. I'm not sure if the old "Keychest" movies were also transferable to Movies Anywhere.

Personally I'm not a big Disney fan and only had a handful of movies in DMA back then, but they all transferred to MA. If yours didn't, perhaps you could contact MA support as suggested in the MA support article I linked above.
Old 05-08-2022, 07:12 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

Quote:
I have some older codes like captian america, thor, monsters inc, and puss in boots that I cant get to redeem (they want the disc and my pc I think is too new to handle it (windows 10 64bit). Its looking for itunes 7.xx and I have 11 or 12 on it.
I suspect the Captain America and Thor movies are the old Paramount releases, so even if the code was in HD (and it wouldn't be), it wouldn't give you 4K rights, as you'd get an older "HD" version of the film in your library.

Have you tried redeeming "Puss In Boots" in iTunes without the disc?
Old 05-08-2022, 09:20 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012

Quote:
well, I should have said dvd if were talking closer to 20. many disney movies I bought first on laserdisc, upgraded to dvd, upgraded to bluray, and now 4k.

[Show spoiler]
The classic Tron doesn't have a digital code available. There was glitch when DMA started that the digital code reward for the disc collector's set gave both Tron films in DMA.

Also, that code doesn't give a DC. It's just for DMR/I points. It does say on the sheet you can get discount on the online to watch anywhere.

The first digital made available was back in 2007 or 2008 was part of Die Hard Live Free or Die dvd.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:00 PM   #11

Jun 2021

On Ipad, the Purchased tab in the ITunes Store app will show the quality that is actually in your library.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:13 PM   #12

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan87 View Post
On Ipad, the Purchased tab in the ITunes Store app will show the quality that is actually in your library.
thats where one of the photos is from for inglorious bastards Itunes purchased and it does not say 4k( It does not say hd either, so I assume its sd), but apple tv list says 4k. movies anywhere and vudu say sd.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:14 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2012
-
-
-

Quote:
thats where one of the photos is from for inglorious bastards Itunes purchased and it does not say 4k( It does not say hd either, so I assume its sd), but apple tv list says 4k. movies anywhere and vudu say sd.
your code was an SD redeem, that is the quality you own across all services.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:08 PM   #14
Power Member

Apr 2017

Quote:
As I mentioned above, there’s a glitch in the ATV app which shows SD purchases as being 4K when a title is available in 4K.

If you want the 4K version of Inglorious use the iTunes Store app on your iPad then search for Inglorious using the search tab and select it, you should then see an option to buy which will overwrite your SD version.
Or if one is available redeem the HD/4K digital code.

Last edited by -Gonzo-; 05-10-2022 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:26 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Gonzo- View Post
As I mentioned above, there’s a glitch in the ATV app which shows SD purchases as being 4K when a title is available in 4K.

If you want the 4K version of Inglorious use the iTunes Store app on your iPad then search for Inglorious using the search tab and select it, you should then see an option to buy which will overwrite your SD version.
Or if one is available redeem the HD/4K digital code.
Just to clarify, there is NO "HD code" that will redeem in iTunes (that I'm aware of... I'm not sure about the 2012 re-release), so mr.bill will have to either purchase the title in 4K from iTunes or an MA supported retailer (VUDU, Amazon, etc.) or redeem a 4K digital code in MA.

Last edited by Alan Gordon; 05-10-2022 at 07:06 PM.
Thanks given by:
-Gonzo- (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 06:56 PM   #16
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
-
-
-

All digital movies that are included with the 4K UHD / Blu-ray combo pack, are not guaranteed to redeem in 4K. If you have the 4K UHD disc, it shouldn't really matter if the digital redeems in 4K or not because, you'll still have the 4K disc. The 4K disc will look and sound better anyway!
Old 05-10-2022, 07:05 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
Dawson, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
All digital movies that are included with the 4K UHD / Blu-ray combo pack, are not guaranteed to redeem in 4K. If you have the 4K UHD disc, it shouldn't really matter if the digital redeems in 4K or not because, you'll still have the 4K disc. The 4K disc will look and sound better anyway!
To some of us, it still matters if the digital redeems in 4K, regardless of the difference between 4K streaming and 4K disc quality.

Also, the OP redeemed IB from a 1080p Blu-ray disc, not a 4K Blu-ray. The original Blu-ray (I cannot speak for the 2012 re-release) came with an SD digital copy, not an HD digital copy, therefore, it (correctly) never upgraded to 4K on iTunes.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:42 AM   #18

Mar 2010

thanks to all that replied. So rack it up as a glitch. I also bought the 4k disc version of inglorious bastards so I will redeem it on top of it. I have about 20 duplicate codes. I had redeemed the blurays first. many list as hdx or hd, but quite a few gave me 4k. SO I debating if trying to get to 4k is worth it or if I should just trade the 4k codes.

I finished going thru all my movies and tried everything I could think of to get the ones below to redeem. some want ps3, or older pc. But I suspect they are not worth trying. even if I dug up an old windows pc, at best I would get a sd code.

Here is a list of all the discs I could not redeem. Of them, I really only want to get the extended lord of the rings to trilogy(BR) to work. its 3 individual codes on a card. The hobbit trilogy extended(BR) redeemed as 1 code, but they are hd.

If you guys think a studio would be generous and help me, I would pursue them. if not, I will rack it up as lost. HBO was nice and helped me with a code for boardwalk empire season 3. The sent me a complete series code, but I had already redeemed 1,2,4, and 5, so sort of a waste.

warner were not so nice. I opened my 4k nolan batman movies. the dark knight had a batman begins code in it! I thought they would help me but they considered them expired. I posted in another thread I was concerned about those 3 when I bought them from best buy. They looked like they were re-shrink wrapped. so trading a 4k batman begins for a dark knight 4k is a priority. I have a BR dark knight code, but I cant get it to redeem.

I am really happy so many of those old codes worked. I think I redeemed close to 1000 codes and to have 45 not work, is not too bad. I know a few more are not working probably to relativity bankrupt studio, but I did not label them.

* Anchor bay
Lawless
Pandorum
Scream 4

*Wb
Unknown
Yes man
The invention of lying
The losers
Rocknrolla
Ultimate matrix collection

*20th fox
500 days of summer
3 days to kill ------- relativity closed.
Out of the furnace ----- relativity closed.
Shame
The wrestler

*Sony
Armored
Underworld rise of the lycans
Hancock
Pineapple express
Taking of Pelham 123(new one)
Cloudy with a chance of meatballs
Nick and norah’s infinite playlist
The other guys
Angels & deamons

*Newline
Appaloosa
Pride and glory
Run fatboy run
He’s just not that into you
Harold and kumar go to white castle
Harold and kumar escape from GB
A history of violence
Lord of the ring extended trilogy

*Universal
Fighting
Drag me to hell
Death race
Death race 2
Devil
Sanctum
Hellboy 2
The American
Thank you for your service
Gringo
Get him to the greek

Last edited by mr.bill; 05-14-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > iTunes