Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Schindler's List 4K (Blu-ray)
$11.33
5 hrs ago
Frozen II 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.55
13 hrs ago
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Bloodshot 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.96
 
Eureka: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$42.99
 
Maximum Overdrive (Blu-ray)
$21.60
5 hrs ago
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$13.36
 
Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00
 
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.00
 
Dark Waters (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Doom Patrol: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2019, 03:21 AM   #1
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2007
95
Default Notebook style 2019 Pioneer BDR-XS07UHD 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray drive (TOP OF THE LINE)

The 2019 Pioneer BDR-XS07UHD is Pioneer’s very first portable 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray drive for the United States market. For those consumers that have Notebook computers with Intel SGX technology they will be able to play native 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs (only a small amount of Notebook computers offer this SGX security technology). For all other modern Notebook and Laptop computers without SGX technology this drive supports 128GB BDXL Blu-ray discs, standard Blu-ray discs, DVD discs, and audio CD’s. Plus M-Disc technology is supported for those that want to backup their data for up to 1,000+ years. This drive supports USB-C USB 3.1 generation 1 technology (hopefully future models will support generation 2 USB 3.1). The 2019 Pioneer BDR-XS07UHD 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray drive can be purchased directly on Pioneer’s website for $175.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...es/BDR-XS07UHD
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:38 PM   #2
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2007
95
Default

Out of the 7 new 2019 computer Blu-ray drives, two models are for desktop computers and 5 models are for Notebook computers. Even though desktop computers are more powerful then Notebook computers, most consumers are moving to small Notebook computers since they like the portability.

Out of the 7 computer Blu-ray drives only one desktop model supports 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs. For Notebook computers there are two models that support 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs. The Pioneer BDR-XD07UHD drive uses USB 3.0 instead of the better USB 3.1 on the BDR-XS07UHD.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...es/BDR-XD07UHD
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:22 PM   #3
Kunjer Kunjer is offline
Member
 
Oct 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
Out of the 7 new 2019 computer Blu-ray drives, two models are for desktop computers and 5 models are for Notebook computers. Even though desktop computers are more powerful then Notebook computers, most consumers are moving to small Notebook computers since they like the portability.

Out of the 7 computer Blu-ray drives only one desktop model supports 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs. For Notebook computers there are two models that support 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs. The Pioneer BDR-XD07UHD drive uses USB 3.0 instead of the better USB 3.1 on the BDR-XS07UHD.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...es/BDR-XD07UHD
Is the BDR-XS07UHD which, also supports M-disc technology an external or internal drive?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:31 AM   #4
TripleHBK TripleHBK is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
TripleHBK's Avatar
 
Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE
16
2081
466
16
31
Default

External drive. USB 3.0 with a type c connector.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:54 PM   #5
Kunjer Kunjer is offline
Member
 
Oct 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleHBK View Post
External drive. USB 3.0 with a type c connector.
Thank you.

Do you know any X299 motherboards that supports SGX?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:46 PM   #6
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2007
95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunjer View Post
Thank you.

Do you know any X299 motherboards that supports SGX?
No X299 motherboards, no AMD motherboards, and no Apple motherboards support SGX.

However if you wanted to build a PC that is medium quality then here is a list of Intel CPU's that support SGX security technology.

https://github.com/ayeks/SGX-hardware

In the ideal world all new Intel CPU's and motherboards should be mandated to have SGX technology, but that appears to not going to happen. I wish a software solution for SGX security would be released so that it would open the door for 4 year old X99 motherboards to play native 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs but it appears that is not going to happen either.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2007
95
Default

Here is a list that a forum member created of which Intel motherboards support SGX security technology.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...postcount=1184

Without the proper SGX Intel CPU and motherboard then the Pioneer BDR-XS07UHD can only be used for 128GB BDXL Blu-ray, standard Blu-ray, DVD, and audio CD playback and record.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #8
Kunjer Kunjer is offline
Member
 
Oct 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
No X299 motherboards, no AMD motherboards, and no Apple motherboards support SGX.

However if you wanted to build a PC that is medium quality then here is a list of Intel CPU's that support SGX security technology.

https://github.com/ayeks/SGX-hardware

In the ideal world all new Intel CPU's and motherboards should be mandated to have SGX technology, but that appears to not going to happen. I wish a software solution for SGX security would be released so that it would open the door for 4 year old X99 motherboards to play native 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs but it appears that is not going to happen either.
I thought the 9900k would support SGX with a Z390 motherboard?
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:10 PM   #9
Kunjer Kunjer is offline
Member
 
Oct 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
Here is a list that a forum member created of which Intel motherboards support SGX security technology.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...postcount=1184

Without the proper SGX Intel CPU and motherboard then the Pioneer BDR-XS07UHD can only be used for 128GB BDXL Blu-ray, standard Blu-ray, DVD, and audio CD playback and record.
My rig that I am going for is:

CASE: Corsair 1000D
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K Unlocked 9th Gen Desktop
GPU: Dual - ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 3080Ti via NVLINK x2
Motherboard: Z390 Aorus Master (Revision 1.0)
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DD4 32GB
M.2: Samsung 970 EVO 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Performance SSD/Solid State Drive - Windows
M.2: Samsung 970 EVO 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Performance SSD/Solid State Drive
SSD: Samsung 860 QVO 4TB 2.5” SATA SSD/Solid State Drive x3 in RAID 0
HDD: 12TB IronWolf NAS
SOUND: Integrated Motherboard
WIRELESS NETWORKING / BLUETOOTH: Integrated Motherboard
POWER SUPPLY: HX Series™ HX1200 — 1200 Watt 80 PLUS
OS: Windows 10 Professional to be installed on one of the M.2 drives
OS BACK UP: USB
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:14 PM   #10
HDTV1080P HDTV1080P is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jan 2007
95
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunjer View Post
I thought the 9900k would support SGX with a Z390 motherboard?
Yes according to the database as long as you use the correct driver in theory SGX would be supported for the Z390 and 9900k (external graphics cards are not supported only the onboard graphics card on the motherboard is supported for SGX). If you are going to go the desktop computer route instead of a Notebook computer then the Pioneer BDR-212UBK would be better to use as a drive.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 10-20-2019 at 06:18 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:20 PM   #11
Kunjer Kunjer is offline
Member
 
Oct 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
Yes according to the database as long as you use the correct driver in theory SGX would be supported for the Z390 and 9900k (external graphics cards are not supported only the onboard graphics card on the motherboard is supported for SGX). If you are going to go the desktop computer route instead of a Notebook computer then the Pioneer BDR-212UBK would be better to use as a drive.
I'll be going for a dual loop, so no space for an optical drive. I don't believe you can install one inside a Corsair 1000D anyway, hence the question regarding that external optical driver.

I appreciate your assistance, HDTV1080P.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
HDTV1080P (10-20-2019)
Old 02-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #12
PUsokrJosh305 PUsokrJosh305 is offline
Special Member
 
PUsokrJosh305's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Indiana
45
52
414
4
Default

Has anyone actually bought this external blu-ray drive and used it? I just got a brand new laptop with a 4K screen and no dvd/cd drive and was wondering if this would be a great drive to get. Otherwise, I will go for an LG blu-ray drive.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:27 AM   #13
ivantcs ivantcs is offline
New Member
 
Mar 2020
Default

Need some advice as I am not familiar with blu-ray.

I am using MacBook Air with Mojave 10.14.

Am I right to say that, I will be able to play blu-ray using this BUT not UHD? A little confuse about playback and compatibility issue.

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:39 AM.